Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dmitri-9 posted:

Can we trust Ham Sandwiches to go radio silent when bitcoin loses 2/5ths of it's value in a week again? This thread on the front page is a reliable indicator that is about to happen.

This is pretty amazing, I have a responsibility to sit here and provide explanations whenever this speculative currency drops as if I'm running this poo poo, but as people have pointed out over and over, the number increasing does NOT mean bitcoins are not bullshit!!

So when bitcoins go down I'm supposed to explain why this is happening, and when bitcoins go up then I can't use that as evidence they are not garbage.

Pretty slick stuff, how does this make sense other than some bullshit you tried to come up with so that "I'm not posting enough" no matter what happens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I was promised a meltdown in here but instead I come in to see Ham continuing to roll around in his own poo poo and you all telling him good boy now roll over so he'll smash right into another pile of poop.

Still disapointed

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
There's a biscuit place near me that accepts bitcoin (through bitpay) and they even have a t-shirt that says "I bought my biscuit with Bitcoin"

I'm pretty sure the fact that the owner's son works there and wears a fedora all the time is NOT a coincidence

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This is pretty amazing, I have a responsibility to sit here and provide explanations whenever this speculative currency drops as if I'm running this poo poo, but as people have pointed out over and over, the number increasing does NOT mean bitcoins are not bullshit!!

So when bitcoins go down I'm supposed to explain why this is happening, and when bitcoins go up then I can't use that as evidence they are not garbage.

Pretty slick stuff, how does this make sense other than some bullshit you tried to come up with so that "I'm not posting enough" no matter what happens?

*Literally never posts when bitcoin is down.*

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You don't need to explain why the price collapses the way it does we already know why. I'm just suggesting that you crowing about bitcoin when the price is up and then hiding like a bashful puppy when the price goes down indicates some confirmation bias in your thinking.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Ham Sandwiches posted:

We're not making you talk about your coins. You're the con man here not us.
What's in it for you? Do you actually think you're going to get rich if you convince the 500 or so people who look at gbs that this poo poo is real?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
OP, I would like to purchase a bit coin. Do you accept pocket lint?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
the good news is i am setting up to sell my book via bitcoin

it costs 4.99 pounds, so i figure 4.99 btc is a sensible price

it will have a gold fringe

and ham sandwiches can cite me as an example of a merchant totally accepting bitcoin

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

divabot posted:

the good news is i am setting up to sell my book via bitcoin

it costs 4.99 pounds, so i figure 4.99 btc is a sensible price

it will have a gold fringe

and ham sandwiches can cite me as an example of a merchant totally accepting bitcoin

I'm really curious how hard you went with your arguments given the things you've stated on these forums, it will be fascinating to see the nuanced view you take.

Also, what would need to occur for you to state that you were wrong about Bitcoin? What level of acceptance / usage / value represented? Just curious if you can establish some kind of criteria ahead of time, thanks.

[edit]A UNIX SYSADMIN :allears:

VOLUNTEER SPOKESMAN FOR WIKIPEDIA

Uhh I wish I had been aware of these things earlier

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 7, 2017

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the bitcoin price doesn't matter because it doesn't mean anything. it is literally a meaningless number, especially given how many exchanges have been struggling to provide USD withdrawals. the price of bitcoin isn't denominated in actual USD, it's denominated in theoretical USD that you might get if the exchange lets you cash out

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Djeser posted:

the bitcoin price doesn't matter because it doesn't mean anything. it is literally a meaningless number, especially given how many exchanges have been struggling to provide USD withdrawals. the price of bitcoin isn't denominated in actual USD, it's denominated in theoretical USD that you might get if the exchange lets you cash out

So the other guy that's giving me poo poo when I don't post enough when the meaningless price goes down how does that work??? It either matters or it doesn't matter, right? Or is it like some kind of dynamic inconsistency where it only matters when going down and doesn't matter anytime it goes up?

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No matter how hard you argue you're not going to change basic definitions of words and BTC is not a currency.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So the other guy that's giving me poo poo when I don't post enough when the meaningless price goes down how does that work??? It either matters or it doesn't matter, right? Or is it like some kind of dynamic inconsistency where it only matters when going down and doesn't matter anytime it goes up?

Do you even supply and demand bro?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

No matter how hard you argue you're not going to change basic definitions of words and BTC is not a currency.

Do you even supply and demand bro?

Does the price matter, or does it not matter? I'm just trying to establish which one!!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

the bitcoin price doesn't matter, but the fact that you post only when it's going up says that it matters to you. why does it matter to you so much? show me on the coin where the bits touched you

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Does the price matter, or does it not matter? I'm just trying to establish which one!!

Matter in terms of what?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Djeser posted:

the bitcoin price doesn't matter, but the fact that you post only when it's going up says that it matters to you. why does it matter to you so much? show me on the coin where the bits touched you

If the price doesn't matter then when I post doesn't matter genius since it's meaningless, please don't try to "gaze into my motivations" on the basis of loving nothing and also comparing it to something that you just admitted doesn't matter

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains. Then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here... but BTC miners.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Djeser posted:

But you can buy Minesweeper with it!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Uhh I wish I had been aware of these things earlier

you hear a lot of bitcoiners saying that after they read his book

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"a voluntary spokesman for wikipedia" sneered the voluteer evangelist for a technoeconomiccult as he desperately loaded another forum post on bitcointalk about how his eighth of a bitcoin he purchased with three months of savings would definitely be worth millions one day and finally he would no longer need to ask if they wanted fries with that

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

"a voluntary spokesman for wikipedia" sneered the voluteer evangelist for a technoeconomiccult as he desperately loaded another forum post on bitcointalk about how his eighth of a bitcoin he purchased with three months of savings would definitely be worth millions one day and finally he would no longer need to ask if they wanted fries with that

I mean the guy is your typical rationalwiki guy, volunteer editor for wikipedia, yospos sysadmin self publishing a book about being a loving bitcoin expert

And this is the heavy hitter people were lauding for 'writing a book' (self publishing his newsletter) by reading reddit and finding tweets from people saying dumb poo poo

Just like that comic book store guy giving me all kinds of poo poo last thread it's just amazing realizing the kinds of people that hold these positions and why they articulate them, and then it makes a lot more sense

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"a unix sysadmin" he huffed, realizing that in his haste to properly secure his bitcoins he had epoxied the port for his laptops ac adapter shut and he would have to dig up the usb keys buried under the birdbath again and whoops those emails coming in on the android phone that had been running oddly hot ever since he installed that wallet inspector software was saying that his coinbase account had been hacked and his life savings was irrevocably gone

not again, it had only been a week since in his zeal to be his own bank he had installed the top rated wallet and lost all his other bitcoins when the creator pushed an update to steal all the coins and refused to give half of them back and keeping 50% as a finders fee for showing how foolish he was to trust the app without verifying every line of code. what does '#include' mean, anyway.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 7, 2017

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Hmm yes you've made an excellent choice nominating this guy as your prophet. He's gonna lead you to the promised land of laughing at fedora redditors, being smart enough to avoid any potential gains on Bitcoins, and having a woke nuanced view years later where you'll explain you were never calling them dumb or bullshit or predicting their failure, just that people didn't understand the inherent risk of bitcoins and so that's all you were doing just trying to educate dumb redditors charging forward with your good advice

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I mean the guy is your typical rationalwiki guy, volunteer editor for wikipedia, yospos sysadmin self publishing a book about being a loving bitcoin expert

And this is the heavy hitter people were lauding for 'writing a book' (self publishing his newsletter) by reading reddit and finding tweets from people saying dumb poo poo

Just like that comic book store guy giving me all kinds of poo poo last thread it's just amazing realizing the kinds of people that hold these positions and why they articulate them, and then it makes a lot more sense

Reviews seem pretty good though. https://www.amazon.com/Attack-50-Fo...rs&pageNumber=1

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

quote:

Unfortunately, the method of presentation removes credibility from his arguments. It makes no reasonable effort to see the market from both sides. Instead, Gerard ascribes criminal aspirations or ideological zealotry to anyone who has touched a bit coin. He doesn't bother trying to imagine a world where bit coins are used for anything other than illicit trading on the dark web. It may never have legitimate uses, but the treatment as though it *can't* have reasonable uses is an unsupported over-generalization.

Hey look at that the blowhard unix sysadmin giving you poo poo for daring to use ps -ef because - is deprecated you son of a bitch is in fact a dumb zealot that can't present an even handed argument, 100% consistent with his forum posts on the topic.

And like the rationalwiki guy that volunteers for wikipedia is a zealot, a dog with a bone thinking he found something to debunk and pushing that narrative so hard to the exclusion of even considering the topic?

I can't tell you how amazing this development is and I'm so glad the book is out there.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bits coin can be used to process transactions of one (1) supermarket on a busy day. That's pretty good. But get this, now there's also new Bits coin - it's cash Bits coin instead of cheques, which is a Bits coin revolution. Now you can have two (2) supermarkets working 24/7 fully operating with Bits coins. This is double good!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

lmao imagine caring about anything as much as ham sammies does

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Bytecoin is better than regular (fake) money, because
- If you send it to the wrong address or someone scams you, you can't return it
- There are no fees, except for the fees you need to pay not to wait ten minutes for your payment to go through
- Everyone can see everyone's transactions, so it makes it super anonymous
- Constantly failing and 'hacked' buttcoin banks and exchanges push you toward being your own bank, a thing that everyone wants to be. It's like being your own dentist or your own marriage counselor. Super cool.
- A scary thug can't steal your bits. Hackers and scammers can, but they don't have knives, and even when they steal all your money, they still probably can't hurt you, because bitsoin dreams about murderdrones are not real (yet!).
- Bitscoin makes some video cards cost more!

How can you not buy bitscoins right now??

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Djeser posted:

lmao imagine caring about anything as much as ham sammies does

I CALLED THE SHERIFF...about bitcoins

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Ham Sandwiches posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/29/bitcoin-exchanges-officially-recognized-by-japan.html

The thing is that Bitcoin could very easily reach a point where a handful of nation states find it useful to allow transactions in the Bitcoin format, and you don't know the future more than anyone else, so telling people to avoid entirely or that you know it will never amount to anything is loving dumb dude

why would anyone choose your old antiquated and obsolete cryptopog versus the better version that is not your old grandpacoin that's slow as gently caress and lacks cool features

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Imagine thinking reddit mods are so awesome you buy the official /r/buttcoin book laughing about buttcoins, stickied by the mod that also wrote it L M A O

Just wanna read all the posts from reddit mods and people they make fun of, other redditors, in book format and a bunch of lovely tweets ahahahahaha

By a Unix Sysadmin, so you know he understands Technology, even though the book is not about Technology, it's about Psychology (something the rationalwiki reddit mod unix sysadmin wikipedia volunteer spokesperson may not know a whole lot about)

This is the real world

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Imagine thinking reddit mods are so awesome you buy the official /r/buttcoin book laughing about buttcoins, stickied by the mod that also wrote it L M A O

Just wanna read all the posts from reddit mods and people they make fun of, other redditors, in book format and a bunch of lovely tweets ahahahahaha

By a Unix Sysadmin, so you know he understands Technology, even though the book is not about Technology, it's about Psychology (something the rationalwiki reddit mod unix sysadmin wikipedia volunteer spokesperson may not know a whole lot about)

This is the real world

A book in the hand is worth two in bitcoins

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I want to become foreverially redditized and loving it foreverially reading posts from reddit mods and loving it and spreading my rational, wikipedia, and unix posts to anyone who reads them

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

This is the real world

The book is already on blockchain, pal. Your own computer is reading it right now, lmao.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

And like the rationalwiki guy that volunteers for wikipedia is a zealot, a dog with a bone thinking he found something to debunk and pushing that narrative so hard to the exclusion of even considering the topic?

:ironicat:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah I don't have a loving subreddit dedicated to mocking buttcoins dude, I didn't self publish a book made up of misleading cherry picked poo poo, I chime in on a forum from time to time but of course the guy that could only muster an emoticon as a post.... what am I expecting in response

The RationalWiki guy found his latest poo poo to debunk, made no effort to figure out whether he was actually right or not, and let his ideology cloud his ability to assess what the gently caress he's writing about, it's just incredible

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah I don't have a loving subreddit dedicated to mocking buttcoins dude, I didn't self publish a book made up of misleading cherry picked poo poo, I chime in on a forum from time to time but of course the guy that could only muster an emoticon as a post.... what am I expecting in response

The RationalWiki guy found his latest poo poo to debunk, made no effort to figure out whether he was actually right or not, and let his ideology cloud his ability to assess what the gently caress he's writing about, it's just incredible

There are people who deny the Holocaust has ever happened. And there's also a dude who makes fun of bit'n'coins.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Lol at the guy who strawmans, ignores, or deflects any reasonable criticism of his play money expecting people to put effort into their responses when he is completely incapable of rational thought or self awareness.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
id rather have bison dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
hammy is just pissed off i made more from bitcoins than he did

btw, even the "consumer" bitscorn exchange, Coinbase, is a stupendous pain in the arse to deal with in any manner, even to set up the merchant account they desperately desire that you set up. i can hardly believe people go through this rigmarole

oh, their example item you might sell for b1stc0ns? is actually alpaca socks

• Locked thread