Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish there were more talky mutants in New Vegas. Wind Brahmin herder doesn't count.

He does. Don't you ever dare imply otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is it just me, or does the final Brotherhood quest feel like they're sending you on a mission hoping it would kill you? Because I always read it as the elder trying to get rid of you since you're a political liability to them. I would like to elaborate on it more, but would it be okay to post it here?

Arcsquad12 posted:

I wish there were more talky mutants in New Vegas. Wind Brahmin herder doesn't count.

Was watching Psych's stream, and Dog/God was insanely talky. It makes him a pretty obnoxious companion, honestly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Weirdest thing happened while doing Crazy Crazy Crazy. After Neil drew the nightkin away and I snuck into the compound, I spot the Nightkin watching from the radio tower. Out of nowhere three new actors appear on my marker, and a trio of NCR rangers goes walking by along the fence right below the nightkin. They then started shooting up the village where the 2nd Gens hang out, just before I went to finish the quest.

I also got attacked by about fifteen geckos outside goodsprings and had to break out the spiked knuckles.

Edit: I like God/Dog because their dichotomy is quite fascinating, particularly in how Dog actually stands taller than God when you draw him out.

The Brotherhood sending outsiders suicide missions has been a thing since Fallout 1. Even in New Vegas, the only non dangerous quest McNamara sends you on is to report on the scouts. Get rid of an NCR ranger. Find the patrols? Go to a radioactive mutant base, a robot death trap, and a howitzer field. Fix the bunker? Travel to multiple deadlier bunkers. Then go back to mutant death mountain to bug their satellite.

McNamara is mellow compared to Hardin, but he's still an rear end

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 25, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Haverchuck posted:

I was walking toward Ranger Station Charlie from Harper's Shack when I saw two small objects bouncing down the hill. I approached them where they stopped and it was a pair of eyeballs. I looked behind me and some geckos had killed a bighorner

I once decapitated a Legionnaire and decided to follow his head rolling downhill toward Cottonwood Cove just to see how far it would go. Turns out after a few minutes it just despawns!

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Arcsquad12 posted:

Weirdest thing happened while doing Crazy Crazy Crazy. After Neil drew the nightkin away and I snuck into the compound, I spot the Nightkin watching from the radio tower. Out of nowhere three new actors appear on my marker, and a trio of NCR rangers goes walking by along the fence right below the nightkin. They then started shooting up the village where the 2nd Gens hang out, just before I went to finish the quest.

Yesterday I walked to that super mutant campfire that's next to Devil's Throat just in time to see them finishing off a couple of generic ncr rangers. I dont know what they were doing up there but I got their cool hats.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think it had something to do with the ADAM mod. One of the optional esps is rangers on patrol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goddamn, I forgot how depressing a lot of the NCR sidequests are in this game.

Also, been looking at some maps, this is a pretty neat one that more or less lays out the locations of particular areas in Fallout.
https://i.imgur.com/z4nMo7w.png

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 1, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Goddamn, I forgot how depressing a lot of the NCR sidequests are in this game.

Also, been looking at some maps, this is a pretty neat one that more or less lays out the locations of particular areas in Fallout.
https://i.imgur.com/z4nMo7w.png

Unfortunately I lost most of it, but I had made a Google Earth thing where I put pins at the approximate locations of every single major and minor location in New Vegas. It was for a friend's roleplay on another site.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't know the geography of that area super well, that was a really helpful map. The only thing I was looking for that I didn't find is the Sierra Madre, but then, its location was supposed to be pesudosecret anyway, right?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Madre is pretty much entirely fictional, I think.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Malpais Legate posted:

The Madre is pretty much entirely fictional, I think.

what's Big Mt. supposed to be based on

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So my brother died last week of brain cancer, and holy poo poo did he change as a person the last half a year as the tumor grew and shoved his brain around. It made me rethink Caesar as a character in this game.

I don't know how much of the brain tumor plot was just "give the player a way to kill him" and if so why they chose brain tumor over heart disease. Did the writers know somebody this had happened to, and it wasn't a random choice of disease? Because purposeful or not, the aggression, lose of reason, etc. are pretty accurate.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 2, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Haverchuck posted:

what's Big Mt. supposed to be based on

A mountain that exploded.

Another thing I've been picking up on this playthrough is how NCR is posed against the other factions. The other three endings are based around a cult of personality and a figurehead: House, Caesar, or the Courier/Yes Man. Only the NCR is referred to in nebulous terms, as an idea, as a nation.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Huh. I looked at the big mt. location against google maps and its right where a mountain called Kingston Peak is located so I guess thats what its supposed to be

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

rydiafan posted:

So my brother died last week of brain cancer, and holy poo poo did he change as a person the last half a year as the tumor grew and shoved his brain around. It made me rethink Caesar as a character in this game.

I don't know how much of the brain tumor plot was just "give the player a way to kill him" and if so why they chose brain tumor over heart disease. Did the writers know somebody this had happened to, and it wasn't a random choice of disease? Because purposeful or not, the aggression, lose of reason, etc. are pretty accurate.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Caesar

quote:

Caesar possesses a number of parallels to his historical counterpart. For example, the historical Caesar actually suffered from a condition similar to the one depicted in-game. He had headaches, blackouts, and sometimes even seizures. In terms of appearance, Caesar is balding and has an Aquiline nose, a sign of nobility in ancient Rome. One thing of note is that Caesar is 55 years old in 2281, and the historical Julius Caesar was assassinated at the age of 56 on March 15, 44 B.C.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Arcsquad12 posted:

A mountain that exploded.

Another thing I've been picking up on this playthrough is how NCR is posed against the other factions. The other three endings are based around a cult of personality and a figurehead: House, Caesar, or the Courier/Yes Man. Only the NCR is referred to in nebulous terms, as an idea, as a nation.

I thought it was Big Mountain Arizona, also called Black Mesa.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

funmanguy posted:

I thought it was Black Mesa.

That was a joke. Ha ha. Fat chance.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

funmanguy posted:

I thought it was Big Mountain Arizona, also called Black Mesa.

I believe you are correct.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Since I guess it's worth posting everywhere, MCA dropped this on FB

He's not with Obsidian anymore so more than likely he's freelancing on Fallout 5

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Basic Chunnel posted:

He's not with Obsidian anymore so more than likely he's freelancing on Fallout 5

my boner just hit me in the face and broke my glasses

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Okay dumb question, who the poo poo is MCA?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Mr. Chris Avellone / Mic Controller Avellone

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Moderator Chris Avellone

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
He's a writer and designer, formerly for Obsidian, now freelancing. He's worked on a lot of RPGs over the years, including New Vegas, and wrote the Fallout Bible that established a ton of cannon when he was at Interplay during the Fallout 2 days. I'm kind of mixed on Avellone, since he's written a lot of stuff that I've liked, and a lot of stuff that's fallen flat, but with that said he's far more competent a writer than anyone currently at Bethesda.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what can change the quality of a brand

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Brotherhood sending outsiders suicide missions has been a thing since Fallout 1. Even in New Vegas, the only non dangerous quest McNamara sends you on is to report on the scouts. Get rid of an NCR ranger. Find the patrols? Go to a radioactive mutant base, a robot death trap, and a howitzer field. Fix the bunker? Travel to multiple deadlier bunkers. Then go back to mutant death mountain to bug their satellite.

McNamara is mellow compared to Hardin, but he's still an rear end

Ah nice! I never got to play FO1 and 2, so I wasn't aware it's a thing with them. I read them "rewarding" you for the final mission with a power armor they dusted off the garbage bin as them wanting you to try it out and get killed by it.

Between the final mission, the bomb collars, giving you their used-up power cells and acting like it's a huge honor, the homophobia and what they did to Veronica in her quest, the Brotherhood is just the worst and does a good job of making you want to kill them all.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I'll be happy if this is true, but would Bethesda still be making the game?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

amigolupus posted:

I'll be happy if this is true, but would Bethesda still be making the game?

As they own the license, it's safe to assume they are the ones developing it until news comes out saying they handed it off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If Avellone has issues with how the heads of Obsidian run things, working for Bethesda would probably induce an aneurysm in him.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Probably has more to do with internal corporate culture which is hard to know about without working there.

Clearly he doesn't have an issue with working for Zenimax given that he did work on Prey.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

amigolupus posted:

Ah nice! I never got to play FO1 and 2

It's not too late, friend!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fallout 1 was free on Steam to keep forever this last weekend, might still be. Worth checking at least.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just keep in mind that Fallout 1 and 2 are old RPGs. You get very little in the way of direction and combat can be absolutely brutal even after you manage to parse the controls.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Pretty doubtful that Bethesda would skip another Elder Scrolls and go right to Fallout 5.

Even if they did, I don't see how Avellone "consulting" on the writing from 3000 miles away would be very meaningful. Bethesda's writers take a steaming poo poo on a platter and Chris Avellone sticks a cocktail umbrella in it. Yay!

There are only three actual Fallout games. The series ended with New Vegas, and went out on a high note. :unsmith:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Just keep in mind that Fallout 1 and 2 are old RPGs. You get very little in the way of direction and combat can be absolutely brutal even after you manage to parse the controls.

Read the 100+ page manuals first :eng101:

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

Even if they did, I don't see how Avellone "consulting" on the writing from 3000 miles away would be very meaningful. Bethesda's writers take a steaming poo poo on a platter and Chris Avellone sticks a cocktail umbrella in it. Yay!

He doesn't maintain office space at most if any of the places he's working

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Maybe Chris Avellone should become a college professor and teach a class on video game writing. That way we can have more Avellones! If Chris Avellone got hit by a bus tomorrow, RPG writing may never recover

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 7, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A Fallout 5 with Avellone contributing would be better than nothing, I'd probably even buy it. His New Vegas DLCs made it clear he's more at home in the Bethesda-style irradiated wasteland full of monsters than the Obsidian-style campaign setting full of ideological conflicts.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

chitoryu12 posted:

Parse the controls? I don't understand how point and click is a thing you have to manage.

Also, I just realized that I played both of these games in middle and high school, and am actually an old man.

:corsair:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've already made some purchases on other things, so FO1 and FO2 will have to wait. For now. I'm fine with it being an old RPG, I just want a cool post-apocalyptic story. :shobon:

aniviron posted:

Fallout 1 was free on Steam to keep forever this last weekend, might still be. Worth checking at least.

I checked this out ASAP when I saw this reply a while back, but sadly the offer expired already. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Anyone have a link or screen caps of that post where Bloody Hedgehog realises that Confirmed Bachelor is a euphemism for gay dude?