Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I totally love "un-topped" spaghetti, and when I make it, I eat about 3 or 4 forkfuls to "test it".

A 100 yo Italian restaurant my wife and I go to has spaghetti with just olive oil, and a fuckton of garlic. It's amazing, and my absolute favorite.

I do put cheese on it though.

I would generally eat it either with a small amount of salad dressing to stop it drying out, or with something oily like smoked salmon, but yes I also eat forkfulls of the stuff out of the pan when it's cooking.

Might have to try it with a little dish of melted garlic butter or something, that sounds good.

The Bloop posted:

This has indeed dechilled a usually chill thread.

Here is an on-topic post of a properly prepared dish I would probably not enjoy:

I mean, I'd try it if you took it off the tomato.

Enfys posted:

If you eat that thing, it will haunt you forever. You'll wake up in the middle of the night and it will be sitting on your bedside table, just staring at you.

Glad I am not the only one who thought it was a chameleon.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:16 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
What is salad dressing? A vinaigrette?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Another victim of the ranch wars. :barf:

(I hope they mean a vinaigrette)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Haifisch posted:

One day, when serving a double-bacon-burger with onion rings and a plate of disco fries, a customer asked for salad dressing. I named off the various salad dressing we have, starting with ranch, because I figured I'd be cut off right there. I was, but by them angrily saying, "SALAD. DRESSING." I repeated, "We have a number of salad dressings, I'm just not sure which one you want."
"They said SALAD. DRESSING. MAYONNAISE!" comes angrily out of their dining partner. It's not that they wanted mayonnaise for their plates of grease and carbs, it's that they assumed that everyone would know that 'salad dressing' meant mayonnaise and I was a fool for suggesting otherwise.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Grassy Knowles posted:

"They said SALAD. DRESSING. MAYONNAISE!" comes angrily out of their dining partner. It's not that they wanted mayonnaise for their plates of grease and carbs, it's that they assumed that everyone would know that 'salad dressing' meant mayonnaise and I was a fool for suggesting otherwise.

I blame Kraft foods; Miracle Whip (aka that imitation mayonnaise poo poo) explicitly has the words "Salad Dressing" on the bottle.

Still, using that to refer to mayo and mayo-like products is strictly a Southern thing, as far as I know.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
More from the cookbook from another age:

I was unaware American cheese was available in any form other than plastic square.

Liquefy your pork, then add gelatin. Conveniently this cookbook comes furnished with 175 envelopes of gelatin.

We missed the golden age. The golden age of pimento.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Ratatozsk posted:

We missed the golden age. The golden age of pimento.
Does almost-pizza have rules?

Is it possible for something to almost be pizza if there are no pizza rules?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Almost pizza! killed me.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If it's almost pizza is it exempt from the "no rule" rule?

E: I can't believe I was efb to this question

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-mother-doesnt-see-why-thai-people-need-to-mak-35501

Not AFP per se, but in the spirit of it.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ratatozsk posted:

I was unaware American cheese was available in any form other than plastic square.

It also comes in plastic rectangle forms at the deli, where they can slice off the plastic squares for you. Or you can just buy it in bulk and, apparently, shred it on your microplane.

I regret not taking my phone with me to the local Waffle House. The only thing more depressing than a plate of hashbrowns with a single, sad kraft single melted atop it is the fact that I got it from a place that made me pay money for it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

KataraniSword posted:

I blame Kraft foods; Miracle Whip (aka that imitation mayonnaise poo poo) explicitly has the words "Salad Dressing" on the bottle.

Still, using that to refer to mayo and mayo-like products is strictly a Southern thing, as far as I know.

In the Italian neighborhood I grew up in mayo meant Miracle Whip so the first time I had actual mayo as a teen, it was a bit of a surprise because it tasted so awfully bland. I still can't see how plain mayo's such a big deal with some, and yes the picture that floats around the forums of the lady eating mayo with a spoon out of the jar still makes me cringe.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ratatozsk posted:

You can get normal blocks of it at delis. It can actually be quite good, nothing like a Kraft single.

Also fun to make your own with citric acid for burger melting purposes.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
I had "pear salad" at my grandma's house as a kid: iceberg lettuce, canned pear halves dolloped with mayo, shredded cheddar from a baggie. My mom explained later that it's better with cottage cheese instead.

Ugh. Food flashbacks.

My grandma also described Miracle Whip as "spicy" because anything tangy, smoky, peppery, or extremely salty was "spicy" to her.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

elise the great posted:

My grandma also described Miracle Whip as "spicy" because anything tangy, smoky, peppery, or extremely salty was "spicy" to her.

Checks out.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

KataraniSword posted:

It also comes in plastic rectangle forms at the deli, where they can slice off the plastic squares for you. Or you can just buy it in bulk and, apparently, shred it on your microplane.

I regret not taking my phone with me to the local Waffle House. The only thing more depressing than a plate of hashbrowns with a single, sad kraft single melted atop it is the fact that I got it from a place that made me pay money for it.

I got you

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

To this day, I'm still kinda taken aback by what people compare to a Kraft single.

How cheese sheltered are some folks?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Haifisch posted:

Checks out.

Christ almighty.

Meanwhile one of my friends describes sriracha as a "sweet garlic sauce" and doctors his with the addition of some kind of atomic death chili oil "to give it a little kick." I feel like if you crossed him with my grandma you'd get a person who could actually eat a decent pad thai without losing consciousness from either chemical trauma or boredom.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tbf some sriracha is mostly just sweet and garlic without much heat. It's known as Bad Sriracha.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Schubalts posted:

Almost pizza! killed me.

It's getting hotter!

E: I hate American cheese.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I won't touch american cheese in anything but a grilled cheese, but somehow a grilled cheese feels wrong with anything but american cheese.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

To this day, I'm still kinda taken aback by what people compare to a Kraft single.

How cheese sheltered are some folks?

I mean, my sole comparison is "is a square slice of american cheese"; I know calling Kraft singles "american cheese" is like calling pizza a sandwich, but when you look as depressing as this:

It's hard not to make depressing comparisons.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"How to Make the 'Meat' Look Like A Party" should be the subtitle of a YLLS thread about genital grooming

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

How does one even smoke a picnic? Doesn't the blanket brown too quickly?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You know, that's how you get delicious ants...

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Grind the entire picnic, blanket and basket included, into a fine powder and blaze it. :2bong:

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

elise the great posted:

Christ almighty.

Meanwhile one of my friends describes sriracha as a "sweet garlic sauce" and doctors his with the addition of some kind of atomic death chili oil "to give it a little kick." I feel like if you crossed him with my grandma you'd get a person who could actually eat a decent pad thai without losing consciousness from either chemical trauma or boredom.

https://twitter.com/anthelope/status/916137656022642689

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's basically me.

There's this bar I go to that makes ghost chili wings and I have suggested they're decent but could use more heat.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Would so hard.

The only time in my life I've gotten properly hot food in a restaurant was in a pakistani place and I had to eat there 3 times before the owner believed I wanted "spicy" instead of "spicy for whitey".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bloom posted:

Would so hard.

The only time in my life I've gotten properly hot food in a restaurant was in a pakistani place and I had to eat there 3 times before the owner believed I wanted "spicy" instead of "spicy for whitey".

drat, you're super cool and "in with the ethnics"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

drat, you're super cool and "in with the ethnics"

Actually I'm insanely lame, I just like chili.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

bloom posted:

I very rarely eat out, but one time a few years back in a basic Finnish restaurant I ordered a "chili burger" not really expecting much. It had like, pureed habanero as the sauce, and a whole one stuck on top as a garnish. There was some sweating involved but I finished it. It was a bit of a shock, and I always wondered if that's really the way they always make it and if it was a popular item.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

elise the great posted:

Christ almighty.

I have a bottle of 6 million SHU hot sauce, which is recommended for use as a cooking additive only. I gave it to one of my friends at work and she put a drop of it straight on her tongue. Coughed once, put the bottle down, and then shrugged and asked why it wasn't any hotter.

I let my best friend (who's a no-bullshit masochist) lick the cap residue, and she actually loved how much it made her lose feeling in her tongue.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I very rarely eat out, but one time a few years back in a basic Finnish restaurant I ordered a "chili burger" not really expecting much. It had like, pureed habanero as the sauce, and a whole one stuck on top as a garnish. There was some sweating involved but I finished it. It was a bit of a shock, and I always wondered if that's really the way they always make it and if it was a popular item.

I had a similar experience with a jolokia burger in Chico's(i know, i know) like ten years back. The difference between that and the pakistani place is that while the burger tasted like someone dumped a bunch of chili in an ashtray, the vindaloo I had at the pakistani place had a goddamn beautiful balance of flavours that weren't covered up by the chili.

So I guess technically I've had properly hot food twice, except the first time was a garbage burger.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

von Braun posted:

It's erm, like mayonnaise except it has other things in it. I'm not sure what but I would guess probably worcestershire sauce, it goes nice with smoked fish and a teaspoon or so in a sandwich can be good if it's a dry sandwich.

Generally I prefer it to mayo because it actually has a flavour whereas mayo is just sort of oily mostly flavourless goop.

http://www.heinz.co.uk/Products/Salad_Cream/Products/Heinz-Salad-Cream

Salad cream, I guess, rather than dressing. Looks like it's fake mayo with mustard and vinegar in it. Tastes like tangy mayonnaise.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 15:40 on Oct 7, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

I have a bottle of 6 million SHU hot sauce, which is recommended for use as a cooking additive only. I gave it to one of my friends at work and she put a drop of it straight on her tongue. Coughed once, put the bottle down, and then shrugged and asked why it wasn't any hotter.

I let my best friend (who's a no-bullshit masochist) lick the cap residue, and she actually loved how much it made her lose feeling in her tongue.

Give her some Sichuan peppercorns to chew on. ( I love doing that!)

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

No Pringles rules?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Zenithe posted:

re. coffee coke, it's sad, but not offensively bad. Screams of marketing gimmick, just like the all the new flavours that nobody asked for they roll out every 6 months or so. The last one was ginger coke.

The ginger coke was nice though, it was just extra spicy with a touch of ginger heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

von Braun posted:

Haifisch posted:

Salad dressing is a remnant of British war-time provisioning iirc. it's an attempt to make a mayo-like condiment without as many rationed ingredients