Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's not exactly offbrand tbh.

But I guess it does show up this kind of cancellation gesture to be genuinely hollow, at least where Marvel's concerned. Sure, cancel a panel, but why lose money? Gun violence is just the cost of doing business. Fuckers.

Well Marvel Studios, who make The Punisher and all MCU things are distinct from Marvel Comics, who set up this partnership. The Marvel Studios logo isn't on any of the partnership material and nothing from the MCU has been used to promote it.

Now Marvel Studios is probably into some shady poo poo and probably has some people working there with terrible beliefs, but Marvel Comics is on a whole other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Aaaand it's already cancelled because of how much everyone hated it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol

First issue reviews are in... cancel it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
What. I thought that was a joke

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

lol they partnered with a pmc to make a comic for children.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

nooneofconsequence posted:

lol they partnered with a pmc to make a comic for children.

And then were very surprised people did not like that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Crass commercialization, nationalism, and propaganda is the most American thing ever, but read the room Marvel.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well it's basically Stark Industries right? I'm sure that's how they feel about it.

I'll bet my best looking nut they have a Iron Monger prototype waiting for someone to invent a new battery.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
"B-b-but Guns are your friends!"

*old man is sunglasses with a t-shirt that just says GUN*

Hello Fellow Youths! *lights ciggarette* how about our popular music eh?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Guess that magazine scan was faked or something changed. No Punisher today.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zebulon posted:

Guess that magazine scan was faked or something changed. No Punisher today.

It was real, they delayed the drop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

They decided to push back the release (by 2 weeks, I think?) after the Vegas shooting.

(thought and prayers)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
I kind of figured that was the case.

And I'll admit, the Bojack Horseman "thoughts and prayers" running gag came to mind too. Between cutting the NYCC panel yet keeping in that idiotic MIC partnership announcement, and now this.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Punisher to hit Netflix on November 17th.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/marvel-the-punisher-premiere-date-netflix-jon-bernthal-1202190165/

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Scott Buck

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Marvel vs. DC! Netflix vs. Cinema! Punisher vs. Justice League!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Good thing there won't be any mass shootings between now and November 17th or else this whole series might seem like a bad idea!

Oh, wait...

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nice, three days before my birthday. Thank you, Netflix!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
New Punisher trailer, too. Gives a much better idea of what the plot is.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

Good thing there won't be any mass shootings between now and November 17th or else this whole series might seem like a bad idea!

Oh, wait...

I am sick and tired of real-life gun violence getting in the way of us telling stories that glamorize gun violence.gif

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

nerdman42 posted:

I am sick and tired of real-life gun violence getting in the way of us telling stories that glamorize gun violence.gif

This but unironically.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lid posted:

Scott Buck

You know, this might be dead gay comedy forums, where everything is pretty much live and let live, but, seriously, you HAVE to stop using language like that. There are some things just just DO NOT NEED TO BE DISCUSSED, mkay?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Everyone is going to watch The Punisher anyway so this moral posturing about a fictional character rings incredibly hollow unless you're willing to put your money where your mouth is. Marvel does much more concerning things like contracting to be publicists with real life military contractors.

If we want to associate Marvel stories with real world violence than we need to get rid of superheroes all together. Don't forget Daredevil solves his problem by throwing people off buildings so they can slowly die in hospitals.

I suppose beating someone into a coma with your fists isn't as bad... :chloe:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It probably has more to do with the whole thing where people are getting gunned down al the time and a bunch of assholes wear the Punisher logo as a badge of honor including a whole lot of cops. So its kind of complicated.

If there was a public epidemic of people were throwing other people off roofs while wearing devil horns then Marvel and Netflix would probably have meetings about that too.

Of course, yes, the reality is the Punisher is just a complicated character that assholes will glorify and America will never have a period where people aren't being killed or worshiping guns and executions so its just kind of something they have to figure out going in. They just had bad timing of the biggest shooting in US history happening right around they're planned media push.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 19, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Probably for the best, then, that this series is pitting Frank against a PMC and a CIA conspiracy rather than his usual fare of street level criminals and organized crime.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think its wrong for people to talk about weird implications of fictional stories while still enjoying them. Media critique and how it shapes audiences is a healthy discussion to have and that doesn't have to conflict with a more surface-level enjoyment of the show. poo poo's multifaceted.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with making or enjoying a Punisher show. And I'm not judging it sight unseen.

But I get why they got squeamish in the wake of Vegas and pushed things back a little. That was probably a responsible choice even though, yeah, the issues don't go away just because we haven't had a massive shooting in a couple of weeks. And its different from the more general moral debates of violence or vigilantism with Daredevil or other characters because the stuff Frank does is a lot more "real" and easy to emulate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Samizdata posted:

You know, this might be dead gay comedy forums, where everything is pretty much live and let live, but, seriously, you HAVE to stop using language like that. There are some things just just DO NOT NEED TO BE DISCUSSED, mkay?

Inhumans

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with making or enjoying a Punisher show. And I'm not judging it sight unseen.

But I get why they got squeamish in the wake of Vegas and pushed things back a little. That was probably a responsible choice even though, yeah, the issues don't go away just because we haven't had a massive shooting in a couple of weeks. And its different from the more general moral debates of violence or vigilantism with Daredevil or other characters because the stuff Frank does is a lot more "real" and easy to emulate.

This is all stuff I agree with and I don't blame Marvel for pushing the release date back, I just think it's super eye rolly to complain about The Punisher glorifying gun violence. It reminds me of when evangelicals were burning Harry Potter books for "pushing Satanism and witchcraft." It was silly then and it's silly now.

The Punisher also has a very diverse fanbase, more diverse than comic geeks seem to realize. Frank Castle has a sizable LGBT female fanbase on social media and they absolutely adore him because he takes revenge on bad people. This is somewhat due to Jon Bernthal but IMO it's proof everyone loves a good revenge story. It's somewhat reductive to only talk about assholes who paint Punisher logos on their bodyarmor or some such because they're not the whole fanbase and you have to take everyone into account when you decide what character you want to make a tv show about, not just the rear end in a top hat fans.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lid posted:

Inhumans

mods???

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HIJK posted:

This is all stuff I agree with and I don't blame Marvel for pushing the release date back, I just think it's super eye rolly to complain about The Punisher glorifying gun violence. It reminds me of when evangelicals were burning Harry Potter books for "pushing Satanism and witchcraft." It was silly then and it's silly now.

The Punisher also has a very diverse fanbase, more diverse than comic geeks seem to realize. Frank Castle has a sizable LGBT female fanbase on social media and they absolutely adore him because he takes revenge on bad people. This is somewhat due to Jon Bernthal but IMO it's proof everyone loves a good revenge story. It's somewhat reductive to only talk about assholes who paint Punisher logos on their bodyarmor or some such because they're not the whole fanbase and you have to take everyone into account when you decide what character you want to make a tv show about, not just the rear end in a top hat fans.

I mean, the biggest difference is probably that Harry Potter didn't push Satanism and there weren't a bunch of Satan worshiping witches with funky glasses playing that broom game. But some Punisher comics do glorify gun violence and revenge and there are a bunch of psychos wearing the logo and putting in on their body armor and cop cars.

And yeah, obviously that's not the whole fanbase or even a majority. And even if you do take joy out of watching a gun revenge fantasy that doesn't inherently mean its anything more than escapism for you. But ultimately the fact that the Punisher persists and does have a TV show seems to suggest that exactly what you hope is happening and the character is persisting for the fanbase at large and not being abandoned because of the assholes. But those guys exist and sometimes they do something really evil or make a story so its always going to be iffy territory to walk.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The problem with The Defenders villains is that they had one goal - using Iron Fist to get dragon bones. So the entire show was wasting time to get to that moment. All the other shows villains existed already and their plans ran afoul of the heroes, were sheer forces of murderous natute, with the amendment Kilgrave's was to torture Jessica and inspiring paranoia which was a constant presence. The Hand just felt less villain more "we are really struggling to define this mook factory". It was HYDRA without a well documented ideology.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Iron Fist Season 1.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Personally, I like my gun wielding homicidal maniacs to be fictional and am still able to separate it from news headlines but I can understand Marvel's decision to wait a bit.

I mean, poo poo, you had Rambo mowing down hundreds of people 30 years ago so I'm not sure about the connection or where cause meets effect really (never have been), but maybe The Punisher had a scene of him being a sniper from a hotel window or something and they wanted to delay it to edit that out.

Trailers look loving great though and Bernthal was fantastic in the role in DDs2. Hoping for a DD or Kingpin cameo somewhere and psyched at what appears to be a lack of ninjas.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Personally, I like my gun wielding homicidal maniacs to be fictional and am still able to separate it from news headlines but I can understand Marvel's decision to wait a bit.

I mean, poo poo, you had Rambo mowing down hundreds of people 30 years ago so I'm not sure about the connection or where cause meets effect really (never have been), but maybe The Punisher had a scene of him being a sniper from a hotel window or something and they wanted to delay it to edit that out.

Trailers look loving great though and Bernthal was fantastic in the role in DDs2. Hoping for a DD or Kingpin cameo somewhere and psyched at what appears to be a lack of ninjas.

This is why they need to absorb The Punisher into the greater AoS collective Hivemind as soon as possible. It's a lot harder to be uncomfortable about guns when you're just shooting mutants, robots, zombies, demons, aliens and yourself from the parallel evil dimension.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
But the punisher doesn't kill innocent people, why do people get this wrong

I didn't see this moral quandry when Boondock saints came out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

I didn't see this moral quandry when Boondock saints came out

I can't hear you over the sound of this 48 minute long Kingsman: The Secret Service church massacre they're calling episode 1 of The Punisher.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fargin Icehole posted:

People don't "get it wrong". They just have a problem with psychotic white dude with a ton of guns taking it on himself to decide who lives and dies and being seen as a "hero" for it. And then there's the whole complicated culture and iconography around the character that leads to cops or militia or whatever emulating him and what that implies.

Plus its all part of Netflix, Marvel, Disney, and MCU so its going to have extra levels of concern and fallout than something WAAAAAAY smaller like Boondock Saints. Or more high profile violent action stuff that can kind of live in its own little vacuum.

But again... nothing's happening. Punisher's been around for as long as I can remember and his show is debuting in a month. All that happened was that a marketing company decided it would be a bad idea to do a big marketing push about the guy who mass murders people with guns right after a guy mass murdered people with guns in a historic way.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

If he kills people without trial, they're by definition innocent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, the biggest difference is probably that Harry Potter didn't push Satanism and there weren't a bunch of Satan worshiping witches with funky glasses playing that broom game. But some Punisher comics do glorify gun violence and revenge and there are a bunch of psychos wearing the logo and putting in on their body armor and cop cars.

And yeah, obviously that's not the whole fanbase or even a majority. And even if you do take joy out of watching a gun revenge fantasy that doesn't inherently mean its anything more than escapism for you. But ultimately the fact that the Punisher persists and does have a TV show seems to suggest that exactly what you hope is happening and the character is persisting for the fanbase at large and not being abandoned because of the assholes. But those guys exist and sometimes they do something really evil or make a story so its always going to be iffy territory to walk.

Ultimately I object to any stance that holds fiction responsible for real world problems. :shrug: I think the tv show is taking a good tack by pitching Frank against a government conspiracy at any rate and they are keeping his family in the picture to humanize him. The big problem with the Punisher IMO is when his family is taken away from him. They do have to acknowledge the passage of time but if you want to counter bad cops and bad soldiers then you have to emphasize that the system failed Frank in every conceivable way, including the police and including his military history. Nothing in the world helped him when it really mattered and he broke as a result.

Anyway, I don't see the Punisher as any more harmful than the Saw movies.