Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mewse
May 2, 2006

GSP's best moments have been because of his awkwardness rather than in spite of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Bisping's heatless promos at this pc were pretty good.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://streamable.com/s6104

mewse
May 2, 2006

Good compilation, thanks

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The look of relief on his face when he finally gets to stop fighting barboza is cool. Was his last fight against vannata? That was loving ages ago.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Marching Powder posted:

The look of relief on his face when he finally gets to stop fighting barboza is cool. Was his last fight against vannata? That was loving ages ago.

rda in mexico last december

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

handsome only face posted:

rda in mexico last december

That was cool.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I know why they do it and I know it's been explained a million times but it still seems real dumb to cut weight until you can barely walk to the scale right before a fight

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm pro steroids but anti weight cutting.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Work Friend Keven posted:

agreed. anything that makes the fighters look big and strong and like they could rape me is good.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

hes one of my favorite strikers to watch. fun as gently caress

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

steroids are better for you than weight cutting. jones did all the steroids and he remains the undefeated goat. khabib cut too much weight and now he's dead

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mean Bean Machine posted:

hes one of my favorite strikers to watch. fun as gently caress

yeah those elbows he uses when he steps in are so sick

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
standing elbows *kisses fingers italian style*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Triticum Guzzler posted:

an Italian dessert has one of the best records at 155

Simultaneously horrifying and really loving cool that you can shed that much water.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

kimbo305 posted:

Simultaneously horrifying and really loving cool that you can shed that much water.

You have personal experience with weight cutting, right? Or are you one of those lucky assholes that makes weight in blue jeans? :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Captain Log posted:

You have personal experience with weight cutting, right? Or are you one of those lucky assholes that makes weight in blue jeans? :)

I've done it twice for amateur tournaments. My experience is not broadly applicable, obviously, but here goes.

I was fighting at 187, and the weigh in was 4pm the day before. Fights were in the morning, so not quite the full day or 36 hours that you now could conceivably get as a pro.

First time, I ate very little the last 2 days, cut sodium, and flew to the venue at about 192 the night before. Didn't drink water the morning of the weigh-in, left the AC off in the Texas heat driving to the airport and waiting for my coach to land. Hit 187 just from sweating. Felt sore and wrung out in my first fight, worse than at any point in training camp.

2nd time, I wanted to eat more leading up and cut more water weight. Flew in at 196 night before; woke up 194, got to about 192 before getting in the tub. If you've watched TUF, you knew the recipe -- hot water, epsom salt, green rubbing alcohol.

First session is 20min. I'm already thirsty when I get in, and I feel my body recoil in protest at water being pumped out of my skin against its will. It's hot, I'm parched, but I still have to keep force sweating it out. Time's up. Get out, 190 or so. Hmm, less than I was hoping for. Towel off. Stand on the balcony of the hotel and dry out.
2nd session is 15min. I'm trying to read Kindle on my phone, with the timer going. Got the ice bag on my head. I try to read a few minutes at a time, but the intense heat and exertion of... just fighting the osmosis is really hard on my mind. I stop reading the Kindle and just concentrate on not giving up.
I check the clock frequently. I look at the clock 7 times in the last minue of the session, hoping each time that it'll be over.
Towel off, dry out, check weight. 188. The one thing in the world I didn't want is happening -- I'm going back in.

3rd session.
I don't want to take any chances and get out heavy again. It's just too big of a toll psychologically. I'd much rather come out light than do another session.
The ice in the ice bag is melted and not keeping my head cool. My body is drying up and not sweating as much -- can't tell if that's real or just my perception. Either way, I'm burning up in the water. My heartbeat throbs through my neck, beating fast to compensate for the dehydration. I'm looking at my phone but incapable of thinking. My vision darkens a little bit at times. I prepare to flop out of the tub if it blacks out too far. I don't know how far is too far, though, because I want to make weight, and I have an irrational dedication to that goal.
My teammate calls from the room and asks if I'm doing ok. I grunt.
Finally, my time is up. I don't want to rush anything so I just raise my chest and knees out of the water. The relief is like nothing else.
I try to slowly stand up to get out of the tub. I of course immediately get light-headed. I sit down hard on the toilet to recover. It takes me another 30s of waiting and cooling off before I get up to towel off. Dry out. Creep onto the scale. 186.4. Ok. Done. Don't care that I let down General Ripper and gave up an extra half pound of water.

Now we trudge over to the official weigh-in and hope there's not a huge line (there is). End up weighing 186.2 on the official scale.
But my mind has long since forgotten about the bath and moved onto the fight.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

gently caress i forgot how much of bloodbath barbosa/ferguson was

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Who is barboza fighting next ?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
...Poirier? that would be fun

E: Ah, Poirier's got Pettis lined up. Still, though. Or Iaquinta

Ironic Twist fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 7, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I think the average person doesn't realize how much mental function is tied up in sleep and nutrition. It's shocking seeing people flip their personalities because something so basic is being denied.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man, Ray Borg got beat by fuckin Justin Scoggins last year this fight is gonna be a drat time trial for MM.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Wow good thing mm sat out six months to fight him

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

did we start out on DJs side and then start ironically making fun of him and then forget it was all irony or has MMMDMMJ (My Main Man Demetrius Mighty Mouse Johnson) been a dork and total loser this whole time?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Conor vs Tony would be a sick fight. Shame Conor has no intention of ever defending a belt.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gay Horney posted:

Imagine getting a title shot you objectively don't deserve with the potential, should you win that title shot, of securing the single most lucrative fight in combats sports, and then missing weight for that title shot.

Lol

The most lucrative fight in combat sports is talking Mayweather out of retirement again, or alternately getting Donald Trump to fight you in WWE

kimbo305 posted:

I've done it twice for amateur tournaments. My experience is not broadly applicable, obviously, but here goes.

I was fighting at 187, and the weigh in was 4pm the day before. Fights were in the morning, so not quite the full day or 36 hours that you now could conceivably get as a pro.

First time, I ate very little the last 2 days, cut sodium, and flew to the venue at about 192 the night before. Didn't drink water the morning of the weigh-in, left the AC off in the Texas heat driving to the airport and waiting for my coach to land. Hit 187 just from sweating. Felt sore and wrung out in my first fight, worse than at any point in training camp.

2nd time, I wanted to eat more leading up and cut more water weight. Flew in at 196 night before; woke up 194, got to about 192 before getting in the tub. If you've watched TUF, you knew the recipe -- hot water, epsom salt, green rubbing alcohol.

First session is 20min. I'm already thirsty when I get in, and I feel my body recoil in protest at water being pumped out of my skin against its will. It's hot, I'm parched, but I still have to keep force sweating it out. Time's up. Get out, 190 or so. Hmm, less than I was hoping for. Towel off. Stand on the balcony of the hotel and dry out.
2nd session is 15min. I'm trying to read Kindle on my phone, with the timer going. Got the ice bag on my head. I try to read a few minutes at a time, but the intense heat and exertion of... just fighting the osmosis is really hard on my mind. I stop reading the Kindle and just concentrate on not giving up.
I check the clock frequently. I look at the clock 7 times in the last minue of the session, hoping each time that it'll be over.
Towel off, dry out, check weight. 188. The one thing in the world I didn't want is happening -- I'm going back in.

3rd session.
I don't want to take any chances and get out heavy again. It's just too big of a toll psychologically. I'd much rather come out light than do another session.
The ice in the ice bag is melted and not keeping my head cool. My body is drying up and not sweating as much -- can't tell if that's real or just my perception. Either way, I'm burning up in the water. My heartbeat throbs through my neck, beating fast to compensate for the dehydration. I'm looking at my phone but incapable of thinking. My vision darkens a little bit at times. I prepare to flop out of the tub if it blacks out too far. I don't know how far is too far, though, because I want to make weight, and I have an irrational dedication to that goal.
My teammate calls from the room and asks if I'm doing ok. I grunt.
Finally, my time is up. I don't want to rush anything so I just raise my chest and knees out of the water. The relief is like nothing else.
I try to slowly stand up to get out of the tub. I of course immediately get light-headed. I sit down hard on the toilet to recover. It takes me another 30s of waiting and cooling off before I get up to towel off. Dry out. Creep onto the scale. 186.4. Ok. Done. Don't care that I let down General Ripper and gave up an extra half pound of water.

Now we trudge over to the official weigh-in and hope there's not a huge line (there is). End up weighing 186.2 on the official scale.
But my mind has long since forgotten about the bath and moved onto the fight.

I'm a lot smaller but I used to cut to 124 (? I think? its been a good while, it was maybe 125?) from the upper 130s to low 140s, usually about 10 pounds in the last day and half. There were definitely bigger guys who cut more and I was not in a hardcore state for wrestling. It's easy for me to imagine someone doubling that if they started out 40 pounds heavier. I feel like you must have been pretty dry at 192 if 5 pounds was a rough cut for you.

edit: i misread, the tough cut was more like 10 pounds. Maybe starting weight counts for less than I would think. Or maybe being a stupid teenager counts for more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

edit: i misread, the tough cut was more like 10 pounds. Maybe starting weight counts for less than I would think. Or maybe being a stupid teenager counts for more.

Training camp weight to target weight was about 10 second time, but I only cut 5 or so with the salt bath. I'm sure your tolerance goes up once you do it a few times, but my limited experience meant it sucked even for a mild cut.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

great big cardboard tube posted:

did we start out on DJs side and then start ironically making fun of him and then forget it was all irony or has MMMDMMJ (My Main Man Demetrius Mighty Mouse Johnson) been a dork and total loser this whole time?

Keven is LWB except for flyweights instead of WMMA.

mewse
May 2, 2006

He's fine and an excellent fighter it's just fun watching Dana poo poo on people

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Le Saboteur posted:

Man, Ray Borg got beat by fuckin Justin Scoggins last year this fight is gonna be a drat time trial for MM.

Yeah can't wait for this record to be broken so DJ can spar with some real fighters like Fabricio Werdum and Cain.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

i like his fights. but hes just the champion of his division to me

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't like his taste in video games so he's a dork and a loser and less importantly, a good fighter.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

DJ is a great fighter, probably the greatest P4P fighter. But it's like he found an evil genie lamp and made a wish to be the greatest champion and the genie told him, "you will be the greatest champion ever...of the flyweight division," and DJ screamed, "my god what have I done?"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

The only pound for pound list Mighty Mouse tops is the head weight to body weight ratio chart.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The only pound for pound list Mighty Mouse tops is the head weight to body weight ratio chart.

I never leave home without that particular chart.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

He ducked TJ and thats not cool

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that fight would have been cool as hell

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I guess after he wins tonight he'll say he's going to wait and see what happens in Cody vs TJ and then call out Magomed Bibulatov the day after

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Who are the two unranked women on the main card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The replacement for what was originally Paige VanZant vs Jessica Eye. And also the UFC starting the flyweight division a bit early ahead of the TUF 26 finale.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 7, 2017

• Locked thread