Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Welcome everyone, to the 2017 MLB postseason! Guess what happened!

Guess what that means!

What's the point of this thread?

First and foremost, another way to get people engaged in the postseason. Last year we had an ongoing N/V and GDT effort among a few posters to pledge money to charity contingent on various events such as hits, errors or home runs. For instance, I donated to the National Epilepsy Foundation every time an opponent of the Cubs committed an error in honor of my dad, a lifelong epileptic Cubs fan. It was a fun way to have a personal stake in the games even when my team missed the postseason because the Dodgers couldn't manage to beat the Giants. Thanks, guys. :argh:

Secondly, seeing stupid Toxx pledges by fans in honor of their teams is fun. Bet platinum upgrades against one another, make avatar bets against one another, whatever you like. Let's see a Red Sox fan end up with a Jeter title or a Diamondbacks fan sporting a Puig avatar, people. Put some skin in the game if you're so confident that your team will go all the way. I want to see people diving headfirst into stupid bets.

I'll start the performance-dependent pledges and talk some trash at the same time. The DH is silly. I do not like it. I think it functions as a retirement community for once-great hitters and allows them to lose their edge. I think I speak for the majority of National League fans, if not baseball at large, when I say gently caress the DH. I also feel very strongly that support for people who struggle with eating disorders is crucial. :toxx:For every home run hit by a designated hitter (ostensibly a big fat guy) in the 2017 postseason I will donate $25 to the National Eating Disorders Association:toxx: Note: Kyle Schwarber only counts for this if he's actually playing in the DH position. Since the Cubs won't win the pennant this year, Schwarbs can't hurt me here. That's right, I said it.
Because I have so little faith in the DH I'll go even further. My screaming liberal tendencies are well-documented. Certain MLB players skew a bit more conservative. :toxx:For every Jake Arrieta or Trevor Bauer strikeout in the 2017 postseason I will donate $5 to the ACLU:toxx:

Toxxes Relevant through the World Series and the Tally
Intruder: :siren:If the Astros win the World Series they will eat Ham and Bananas Hollandaise and Tuna Jello Pie:siren:

Poque: $10 to the National Eating Disorders Association per slice of the Tuna Jello Pie eaten on camera.

* Artix: $5 to the Hispanic Federation for every win by a Wild Card team. $30.
* Aulus: $10 to Marcus Stroman's Puerto Rico relief fund for every David Price strikeout. $60.
* all-Rush mixtape: $90 to Carlos Beltran's Puerto Rico relief fund if the Astro's don't win the World Series.
* bawfuls: $20 for every Kike Hernandez base in the NLCS. $360, with an extra $60 for the 3 home runs. Make your own Dodgers payroll jokes.
* bawfuls: $50 to Kike Hernandez's Puerto Rico charity for a Yu Darvish RB(B)I in the 6th inning of NLCS Game 3. $50.
* Bilirubin: $100 to Puerto Rico if the Cubs win NLDS Game 5. $100.
* Big Mean Jerk: $15 to Puerto Rico for George Springer's Game 2 World Series home run
* Big Mean Jerk: $1 to Carlos Beltran's Puerto Rico relief fund for every Astros home run. $27.
* Big Mean Jerk: $5 to Carlos Beltran's Puerto Rico relief fund for every Astros grand slam. $0.
* Dexo: $200 to a charity of another poster's choice (any Puerto Rico charity) if the Cubs win NLDS Game 5. $200.
* holylemon: $50 to Puerto Rico if the Astros win the World Series. $50.
* holylemon: $25 to Puerto Rico if Justin Verlander went 6 innings+ in Game 6. $25.
* Imasalmon: $1 for every Astros home run to a yet-undecided Puerto Rico-based charity. $27.
* John Wilkes Booth: $20 to Beltran's Puerto Rico relief for every Astros win in the World Series. $80.
* John Wilkes Booth: $20 to Beltran's Puerto Rico relief if the Astros win the World Series. $20.
* Miz Kriss: If the Cubs lose a series in the postseason but are not swept they will donate the cost of one avatar to the charity of choice for one of that team's fans. $10 to Kike Hernandez's Puerto Rico charity.
* Poque: $5 to a yet-undecided Puerto Rico-based charity for every Cubs hit. $255.
* RD Mangles: $5 to Unidos for every base runner the Cubs pick off or catch stealing. $20. :vince:Lester:vince:
* SourKraut: $5 for every Cubs run scored to a yet-undecided Puerto Rico-based charity. $125.
* Sydin: $25 to Direct Relief for every Cubs postseason win. $100.
Sydin: If the Cubs win the World Series an additional $275 to Direct Relief.
Dexo: $2,000 to Puerto Rico relief if the Cubs win the NLCS.

* bump_fn: $50 to RAINN if Chapman lost ALC Game 2. $50.
* Big Mean Jerk: $1 to to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America for every Indians home run. $4.
* Big Mean Jerk: $5 to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America for every Indians grand slam. $5. Note: Big Mean Jerk rounded up to $20 total.
* elentar: $1 to Doctors Without Borders for every inning ending with a Yankees lead. $50.
* Goodpancakes: $5 to a yet-unnamed women's engineering charity for every Schwarber home run. $5.
* Imasalmon: $1 for every Astros home run to the Houston Women's Shelter. $27.
* Kevlar: $50 to Moore's Cancer Center if the Cubs had a 1-2-3 9th inning of NLDS Game 5. $50.
* Pancakes: $5 to the ACLU for every Jake Arrieta or Trevor Bauer strikeout. $120.
* Pancakes: $100 to RAINN if Chapman lost ALCS Game 2. $100.
* Pancakes: $25 to the National Eating Disorders Association for every home run hit by a DH in the 2017 postseason. $25.
* Poque: $50 if Zobrist scored in NLDS Game 5 to the Aneurysm Foundation (if I remember correctly). $50.
* Poque: $50 for every Cubs run in the 7th inning of NLDS Game 5 to the Aneurysm Foundation (if I remember correctly). $50.
* Poque: $50 to the Aneurysm Foundation (if I remember correctly)if the Cubs won NLDS Game 5 in 9 innings. $50.
* Poque: $50 per Cubs run in the 2nd inning of NLDS Game 5 to the Aneurysm Foundation (if I remember correctly). $100.
* Poque: $10 for every Schwarber error to a yet-undecided charity. $20.
* Popete: $10 to CARPLS for every time the Cubs lead off the game with a hit. $20.
* Sydin: $5 to the ACLU for every Jon Lester strikeout or John Lackey home run given up. $40.
* Sydin: $50 to the ACLU if the Cubs pitched a 1-2-3 6th inning in NLCS Game 2. $50, courtesy of a vintage Beaning.

Kevlar v2.0: $100 to Moore's Cancer Center at UC San Diego if the Cubs win the World Series.
Goodpancakes: $50 to a yet-unnamed women's engineering charity if the Twins beat the Yankees.
Goodpancakes: $50 to a yet-unnamed women's engineering charity if the Indians win the World Series.
Pakistani Brad Pitt: $100 to the Lower East Side Girls Club if the Twins win the wild card.
Aulus: $25 to the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada for every Edwin Encarnacion home run. $0.
Miz Kriss: If the Cubs get swept by any team in the postseason they will get an avatar of a well-known player from that team. That avatar cannot be changed until the sweeping team and the Cubs play one another in the 2018 regular season.

Third, and more specific to this year, this thread is designed to help raise money for Puerto Rico relief. As everyone's aware, Puerto Rico has been absolutely devastated by Hurricane Maria recently. This is a humanitarian crisis and I'd love to see SAS posters step up in an organized way to give money. This is the sales pitch portion of the thread.

In case people needed reminders, some examples (not exhaustive, obviously) of Puerto Ricans who have changed the game in the past or continue to shape it today:

How can we help?

There are a lot of existing charities that have specifically been identified as prime donation targets for Puerto Rican relief:
* The Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org/donate/disaster-relief
* The Hispanic Federation: https://hispanicfederation.org/donate
* Global Giving: https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/hurricane-maria-caribbean-relief-fund/

There are also several donation efforts backed by current and former MLB players of Puerto Rican heritage that are working to raise money:
* Jorge Posada: https://www.youcaring.com/familiesandkidsdevastatedbyhurricanemaria-956568

* Carlos Beltran: https://www.crowdrise.com/o/en/team/carlosbeltran

* Yadier Molina: https://www.gofundme.com/pray4prteammolina4pr

* Kike Hernandez: https://www.youcaring.com/tothosedirectlyaffectedbyhurricanemaria-958268

The Competition Aspect

Let's be honest, we all watch baseball because we crave competition on some level. Which team's fans will give the most money? I'll start things off, $250 for the Hispanic Foundation from a Cardinals fan. :siren:I will also match the next $250 pledged in-thread to any of the above-listed donation links:siren:. Let's be clear, other sports fans are more than welcome to join in. I will add any other teams' fans, regardless of sport or league, to the tally below. I'm banking on MLB fans giving the most because honestly, I'm trying to start some poo poo and get some other sports' fans to come into our thread and donate to a good cause. Come at me, NFL, NHL and NBA fans.

Artix (Orioles): $30 Toxx donation.
Aulus (Blue Jays): $60 Toxx donation.
bawfuls (Dodgers): $410 Toxx donation
Big Mean Jerk (Astros): $12 Toxx donation.
Bilrubin (Cubs): $100 Toxx donation.
Dexo (Cubs): $200 Toxx donation.
Imasalmon (Astros): $12 Toxx donation.
Kevlar (Cubs): $50 non-Toxx donation.
Miz Kriss (Cubs): $10 Toxx donation.
Pancakes (Cardinals) : $250, plus matching another $250 (all matched, $500 total)
Poque (Cubs): $255 Toxx donation.
RD Mangles (Cubs): $50 non-Toxx donation. $20 Toxx donation.
SourKraut (Cubs): $125 Toxx donation.
Sydin (Cubs): $100 Toxx donation.

That puts the current tally at:
MLB overall: $1,934

St. Louis Cardinals fans: $500
Cubs fans: $910
Astros fans: $24
Blue Jays fans: $60
Orioles fans: $30
Dodgers fans: $410

Welcome to the postseason, everyone. Let's do some good and watch some memorable baseball games.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Personally I would give the Red Cross a miss, but:

:toxx:
I will donate $1 for every postseason inning that ends with the Yankees leading, to Doctors Without Borders.

(Caveat: If this goes over 100 or so, first goddammit, and second I'll need to get to the New Year to get it all in.)

elentar fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 30, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:toxx: If the Astros DON'T win the 2017 World Series, I will pledge $90 to Carlos Beltran's donation thing :toxx:

Why $90? As of right now, a June 30, 2014 Sports Illustrated (the one that says the Astros will win the 2017 World Series) costs about $90 on eBay. If the Astros DO win the World Series, I will probably be too busy breaking the bank on that SI to afford a $90 donation. I'll probably give, don't get me wrong, but it might not be as much.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
If the Cubs win the World Series in 2017, I will donate $100 to the Moores Cancer Center at UC San Diego. :toxx:

They helped my dad go from Stage III colorectal cancer to being in full remission after one year, so they're my number one charity of choice.

Non-baseball-related, I will definitely be donating to the GlobalGiving Puerto Rico & Caribbean Hurricane Relief Fund.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I'm poor as gently caress, so I can't do donations right now (though I would like to), but I think I can spare $10

:toxx: If the Cubs get swept by any team in the 2017 postseason, I will get an avatar of that team's best/well known player Examples: If Nationals sweep - Bryce Harper, If Dodgers sweep- Puig, so on and so forth. The avatar will last until the winning team and the Cubs play their first series in 2018. Spring training does NOT count.

:toxx:If the Cubs only lose instead, I will donate the cost of an (1) avatar to the charity of that team's choice.
To clarify: One poster who is a known fan of the winning team (ie: Rally Pigeon for the Nationals, bawfuls for the Dodgers, etc.) will pick the charity I will donate to. If a variety of charities are mentioned or more than one poster cannot come to a unanimous decision, I will choose from a list of the suggestions.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:toxx: For every game the Cubs win in the 2017 postseason, I'll donate $25 to Direct Relief. If the Cubs somehow repeat, I'll double the resulting $275 and donate $550 instead.

Pancakes posted:

My screaming liberal tendencies are well-documented. Certain MLB players skew a bit more conservative. :toxx:For every Jake Arrieta or Trevor Bauer strikeout in the 2017 postseason I will donate $5 to the ACLU:toxx:

This is cool and good, I'll cover the rest. :toxx: I will also donate $5 to the ACLU for every Lester strikeout, or Lackey HR allowed in the 2017 postseason.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
My team is long since gone, but it's the postseason, and that means chaos reigns. :unsmigghh: Therefore, :toxx: I will donate $5 to the Hispanic Federation for every win by the Wild Card team, in either league. :toxx: This is for the boys who aren't supposed to be in the postseason at all.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I will donate 50 bux to a women's engineering charity in celebration of the Twins actually loving beating the god drat deplorable Yankees. I'm a STEM post grad and every day I have to deal with another arrogant sexist know-nothing engineer is a bad day.

If the Indians win I will donate another 50 bux to a yet to be named Native American charity. Probably to combat poverty in standing Rock but I have to look around.

Lastly another 5 per Schwarber bomb to women in engineering.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
$5 to one of the Puerto Rico charities per Cubs hit in the postseason. :toxx:

IIRC youcaring was the one of choice for the continental hurricanes so I'll probably do Kike Hernandez's.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Updated the OP with everyone's Toxx pledges. Any Puerto Rico-related Toxxes also count towards my match total in the OP. Come on, guys, your donations (up to $250 total) count double and you're taking money out of the pocket of a Cardinals fan. Get into the Clemente spirit!

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

If the Twins can escape this Wild Card poo poo fest with a W I pledge $100 to the Lower East Side Girls Club :toxx:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

$50 for unidos plus $5.00 for every baserunner picked off or caught stealing by the Cubs

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Non-baseball-related, I will definitely be donating to the GlobalGiving Puerto Rico & Caribbean Hurricane Relief Fund.

Again, this isn't related to a Toxx, but Poque and I used the charity recommended in the OP and donated in my stepmother's honor for her birthday today:

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
I don't have much spare income, but $1 per Astros postseason homerun to the Houston Women's Shelter, and $1 per Astros postseason homerun to a Puerto Rico charity.

Aulus
Mar 7, 2005

Le monde entier!
Est un cactus!
Il est impossible de s'asseoir!
Welp, I just found out my mom probably has MS. Also she's a huge Blue Jays fan so she already didn't have much to cheer about right now. So just to make October a bit more fun/less terrible:

For every home run Edwin Encarnacion hits in the postseason, I will donate $25 to the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada.

For every strikeout David Price records in the postseason, I will donate $10 to Marcus Stroman's Puerto Rico fund.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Textbooks ate up a huge chunk of my income this month, however, I'll donate $1 for every Astros postseason dinger ($5 for Grand Slams) to the Carlos Beltran Foundation's Puerto Rico Fund. And in honor of my grandfather, I'll donate $1 for every Indians postseason dinger ($5 for Grand Slams) to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America. :toxx:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Okay, I've updated the OP as best I can for a Saturday morning to track everyone's updated totals. A couple of the all-or-nothing pledges have already been eliminated. I also updated the Puerto Rico section with tallies from the Toxx amounts. I honestly don't know what fandom to count Aulus as (the pledge was in their mother's name so if I don't see a post to the contrary I'll start counting that pledge as a Blue Jays pledge). I counted Imasalmon as a Houston fan, if that's wrong I apologize, please just let me know how to count those pledges.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
If the Yankees go out in 3 straight then I'll add on something else to celebrate, still figuring out something appropriate but will add here.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In the spirit of Binnys Beverage Depot. I will donate $10 for every Cubs lead off hit (first hitter of the game) during the post season too CARPLS, a Chicago area service that provides free legal services too anyone. They're a cool organization who've helped a lot of people (my GF is a volunteer and on their board).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I’ll do $5 for every run the Cubs score, going back to Game 1, to a Puerto Rico relief fund.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Updated the OP again with totals through yesterday's NLDS games. Thanks to everyone who's participating! So far the thread has raised over $800 for charity, more than $700 of which is going to Puerto Rico relief.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
oh mark me down for $10 per postseason Schwarberror retroactive to the start of the series

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

oh mark me down for $10 per postseason Schwarberror retroactive to the start of the series

Look at Mr. Moneybags over here

EDIT: This is a joke about Schwarbers bad defense.

Popete fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 11, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

elentar posted:

If the Yankees go out in 3 straight then I'll add on something else to celebrate, still figuring out something appropriate but will add here.

Now that I've doomed Cleveland and sent the Yankees on their way to a championship, will pay off this round as soon as I get a check in and later rounds as I'm able. :saddowns:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

Which charity should I count this as? My goal is to update the OP after this round finishes up tonight.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Do the same undecided one, I will post my DS donation following the series conclusion tonight or tomorrow.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

50 bux a run in the second inning of game 5

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I honestly thought the Indians would make it further and their bats were fairly quiet, so I rounded up to $20. :rip: Cleveland's hopes and dreams.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

$100 for PR for a Cubs win tonight :toxx:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Bilirubin posted:

$100 for PR for a Cubs win tonight :toxx:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

:toxx: For every game the Cubs win in the 2017 postseason, I'll donate $25 to Direct Relief. If the Cubs somehow repeat, I'll double the resulting $275 and donate $550 instead.

This is cool and good, I'll cover the rest. :toxx: I will also donate $5 to the ACLU for every Lester strikeout, or Lackey HR allowed in the 2017 postseason.

So if my figures are right:

Lester K's: 5 between his start and relief appearances ($25 to the ACLU)
Lackey HR's allowed: NLCS Game 1 starter lol ($0 to the ACLU, he never pitched)
Cubs Games Won: 3 :smug: ($75 to Direct Relief)

I'll update again after the NLCS.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Dexo posted:

Cubs win this game and 200 to whatever charity whoever quotes this first after the game wants

SourKraut posted:

Puerto Rico.

Edit - literally any charity for Puerto Rico since they all need it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Made this one in the Game 5 thread:

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

$50 to Moore's Cancer Center if this is a 1-2-3 inning :toxx:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I said $50 if Zobrist scores this inning literally seconds before that double so I've got some kind of agreement going here

Poque posted:

For Zobrist's run

-------

Poque posted:

$50 for every cubs run in top 7

Poque posted:

Bankrupt. Me. Bitches.

------------

Poque posted:

$50 if we win in nine

that catches me up on charitable screaming in the GDT, $250 tonight including the hundo posted earlier

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

$5 to one of the Puerto Rico charities per Cubs hit in the postseason. :toxx:

IIRC youcaring was the one of choice for the continental hurricanes so I'll probably do Kike Hernandez's.

Poque posted:

27 hits ($5 each) and 2 Schwarberrors $10 each) = $155

In the spirit of togetherness, I donated to Molina's fund.

in two images because I failed at math

Poque fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 13, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

in two images because I failed at math

You majored in math

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I never said I was a role model

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I never said I was a role model

The amount of money you're donating would beg to differ. :colbert:

I've updated the Toxxes (I think) through the beginning of the ALCS. If anyone spots any mistakes please let me know. I haven't updated the Puerto Rico tally yet, I'll probably aim for that either later tonight or tomorrow. I've struck through any Toxxes that yielded no money and put asterisks next to the ones that completed at this point. I may sort through them and order them for better updating when I go back and tally the Puerto Rico numbers.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cubs have actually picked off two runners in this series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Neither of my two toxxes paid out so Ill think of some new ones here

• Locked thread