Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

fishmech posted:

You claimed that they're getting money to expand in rural areas and then refusing to expand in rural areas. That was a thing that happened in the 90s and specifically was because of the way the rules were written, building cell towers counted as building broadband service under the very low standards for broadband of the time.

You claimed, "Why is it they have trouble giving their customers more speed and data? In most cases it's total bullshit so they don't have to spend money to improve their infrastructure. The US government has even given money to ISPs over the years to improve their service and they don't do anything. ". This isn't true, the services have improved across the board, and even bandwidth caps in the places that have them have been raised. The main things that stagnate are places where the only service is DSL, because DSL service is effectively incapable of being improved - there's a fixed relationship between distance to the central office and maximum possible speed on the line which means DSL providers rarely meet promised speeds and have next to no hope of improving actual speeds.

Also what do you even mean by "testing low data caps in some markets" when all of those markets have straight up had low data caps for 15+ years - that's not a loving test anymore bro.

I never said they were still receiving money. And just a couple years ago Time Warner was announcing test areas that would have 200 and 300GB data caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cojawfee posted:

I never said they were still receiving money. And just a couple years ago Time Warner was announcing test areas that would have 200 and 300GB data caps.

Well you were bitching people in rural areas didn't have high speed internet because of it, and if the ISPs had done exactly what they were paid to do those areas would just have 200 kilobit internet service out of it. So it would be really weird for you to be complaining about and not be trying to talk about something recent, because 200 kilobit service hasn't even legally been broadband for quite a while.

You mean those test areas that were already under 50 GB and 100 GB caps before that (hell sometimes even like 10 gb if you were on their cheapest tier)? Because they'd been "test areas" since they were hooked up for cable internet back in the early 2000s?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

hanyolo posted:

I find it funny being on the upside down side of the world (Australia) where the situation is the opposite. We used to have strict on-peak and off-peak quotas as well as a "freezone" (some ISPs would offer steam / xbox / apple downloads quota free). and now we can get an unlimited service from whatever provider you want wherever you are and it will be 25Mbit guaranteed (from 2020 onwards).

Australia has this weird policy of trying to fix problems in good faith and actually resolving issues. North America is not familiar with this concept.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

It's weird as gently caress seeing someone actually try to defend ISPs and what they do.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Ether Frenzy posted:

Shitposts are met with shitposts, it's how this thread works. Sorrrrrry for making a joke on this, a comedy forum, but "People who buy luxury products (which is what all video game consoles are) should be ready to pay for the associated costs" isn't that wild a latestage capitalism statement.

Meanwhile the PS4 has the exact same goddamn constraints. As does every part of being in an online world.

I like you, friend.

RBX posted:

It's weird as gently caress seeing someone actually try to defend ISPs and what they do.

It feels kind of strange, yeah.

Why can't we do what Australia did, again?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

hanyolo posted:

I find it funny being on the upside down side of the world (Australia) where the situation is the opposite. We used to have strict on-peak and off-peak quotas as well as a "freezone" (some ISPs would offer steam / xbox / apple downloads quota free). and now we can get an unlimited service from whatever provider you want wherever you are and it will be 25Mbit guaranteed (from 2020 onwards).

I think it's funny how Finnish cellphone networks seem to hem and haw about data caps every few years. Thankfully there are 3 major networks and a ton of smaller operators that sell their own branded connections that use those thre networks so usually there is some operator that offers a significanlty better deal than the others and once the cap-enforcers bleed enough customers, they seem to either increase the caps enough to make them irrelevant or remove them.

I know no operator likes the 24/7 full bandwidth torrent seeder, but it seems every time there is enough collateral damage for them to back out. Or maybe after they have driven the top 1% bandwidth users away they can star claiming "unlimited" bandwidth for everyone else again :shrug:

edit: and yes, I know that Finland has small population compared to almost any other country in the world, and also compared to many cities.

Wheany fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 6, 2017

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

RBX posted:

It's the Xbox thread, where you can cry that Microsoft took away from you the power to talk to your console to open Redbox Instant Powered By Verizon.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Why are Xbox One patches so large anyway? I heard that the 360 supported delta patching (the PS3 did not but the PS4 does?) but why doesn't the Xbone?
It must have been a decision they took, so what is the reason? Is it just more work to create those kind of patches?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Shitposts are met with shitposts, it's how this thread works. Sorrrrrry for making a joke on this, a comedy forum, but "People who buy luxury products (which is what all video game consoles are) should be ready to pay for the associated costs" isn't that wild a latestage capitalism statement.

Meanwhile the PS4 has the exact same goddamn constraints. As does every part of being in an online world.

I'd be interested to hear what PS4 games need separate downloads for 4K content, which is what sparked this discussion.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

Why are Xbox One patches so large anyway? I heard that the 360 supported delta patching (the PS3 did not but the PS4 does?) but why doesn't the Xbone?
It must have been a decision they took, so what is the reason? Is it just more work to create those kind of patches?

It's definitely a strange omission. They either did it for performance reasons and it made sense to them with the always-online setup, or it was something they couldn't implement due to having to shift efforts to removing the DRM scheme (they had to kind-of hack their own console).

It seems like their resource online for game content has the game's individual files in it and the XB1 just re-downloads any of these individual files it sees as having been updated. This is why there's been the odd incident where an entire game redownloads for no reason, it's like whoever prepped the files for online distribution did it in a way where every file got manipulated in a way that made it look to XB1's like they had been updated.

While the PS4 is less bad patch size-wise it's still pretty bad; you still have a lot of games with forced large patches, and it doesn't seem like delta patches are a guarantee on PS4, I think some titles don't bother prepping them and just have you redownload the resources anyway, it looks like Overwatch at least does this on both consoles, to the point where basically the entire game gets redownloaded so the disc is really just a transferrable physical license key and nothing else (you can't play the game offline so that redownload is happening if you want to play the game at all).

And the PS4 doesn't have proper 4K assets at this time. All PS4's get the same patches, and the various "PS4 Pro" patches have been like 100 megs and basically just "detect if this is a PS4 Pro, if yes run with these visual settings instead"-tier patches. In all honesty the PS4 Pro likely doesn't have enough system resources to handle proper 4K textures (it may have the wrong RAM), although if a game wanted to rig something up my guess is they'd make this an optional free DLC pack to keep things simple (this is already done with a few games for other types of optional assets; Horizon: Zero Dawn has a free DLC pack for Spanish audio because the retail disc was completely full without it, and a few games on Vita have DLC packs for things like Japanese/French audio and even higher quality assets, again usually as a simple workaround for the carts maxing out at 4 gigs).

univbee fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 6, 2017

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

univbee posted:

It's definitely a strange omission. They either did it for performance reasons and it made sense to them with the always-online setup, or it was something they couldn't implement due to having to shift efforts to removing the DRM scheme (they had to kind-of hack their own console).

It seems like their resource online for game content has the game's individual files in it and the XB1 just re-downloads any of these individual files it sees as having been updated. This is why there's been the odd incident where an entire game redownloads for no reason, it's like whoever prepped the files for online distribution did it in a way where every file got manipulated in a way that made it look to XB1's like they had been updated.

While the PS4 is less bad patch size-wise it's still pretty bad; you still have a lot of games with forced large patches, and it doesn't seem like delta patches are a guarantee on PS4, I think some titles don't bother prepping them and just have you redownload the resources anyway, it looks like Overwatch at least does this on both consoles, to the point where basically the entire game gets redownloaded so the disc is really just a transferrable physical license key and nothing else (you can't play the game offline so that redownload is happening if you want to play the game at all).

And the PS4 doesn't have proper 4K assets at this time. All PS4's get the same patches, and the various "PS4 Pro" patches have been like 100 megs and basically just "detect if this is a PS4 Pro, if yes run with these visual settings instead"-tier patches. In all honesty the PS4 Pro likely doesn't have enough system resources to handle proper 4K textures (it may have the wrong RAM), although if a game wanted to rig something up my guess is they'd make this an optional free DLC pack to keep things simple (this is already done with a few games for other types of optional assets; Horizon: Zero Dawn has a free DLC pack for Spanish audio because the retail disc was completely full without it, and a few games on Vita have DLC packs for things like Japanese/French audio and even higher quality assets, again usually as a simple workaround for the carts maxing out at 4 gigs).

Thank you for the explanation, I was hoping it would be you who answered :)

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

"Taxes are too high! We need less regulation!"

*sits in rural house with no internet, mail service, or functioning roads*

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't been reading this thread for very long, but it's one of the most nonsensical things I have ever witnessed on the forums.

Tbh I can't believe most of the shark tank folks are still at it 5 years later.

So far, my experience is that the best place to talk about the Xbox is in the much more chill PS4 thread.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
If you don't think Xbox and Halo are cool you are a God drat nerd

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

I agree with everything you've written here except the suggestion that complaining to your ISP is likely to change a goddamn thing other than the blood pressure of the punching bag the ISP hired for you to take out your aggression on.

(sorry for this quote, I love futurama and the quote was directed to the user with this lovely character and was really funny to me)

doingitwrong posted:

So far, my experience is that the best place to talk about the Xbox is in the much more chill PS4 thread.

We have some long arguments about Dishonored morality system, boat levels and sometimes Bloodborne takes the thread, someone shits on it and then we, the boyz go in and fight till we are blood drunk.

The PS4 is more like the general console thread because people will even ask about the switch and people will reply nicely so yeah.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 6, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Agoat posted:

If you don't think Xbox and Halo are cool you are a God drat nerd

This post was typed on a public school tandy computer in 2002 and only just made it to the forum

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Real hurthling! posted:

This post was typed on a public school tandy computer in 2002 and only just made it to the forum

1v1 me pistols only

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

pthighs posted:

"Taxes are too high! We need less regulation!"

*sits in rural house with no internet, mail service, or functioning roads*

Oh yeah. At least we have bump stocks and freedom.

Guillermus posted:

The PS4 is more like the general console thread because people will even ask about the switch and people will reply nicely so yeah.

Now why is that, do you think?

(At least half of what I post in this thread is passive aggressively directed at the sharktank crew, honestly. We all know it, just like we all know what their deal is.)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

just like we all know what their deal is

:10bux: just to be able to post in the awesome troll-free community that features the coupons subforum is an incredible deal! :toot:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Now why is that, do you think?

(At least half of what I post in this thread is passive aggressively directed at the sharktank crew, honestly. We all know it, just like we all know what their deal is.)

Maybe because this thread is mostly filled with people just saying the console is bad or trying to hit on the PS4 and the Switch thread is like being a pedestrian in carmageddon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

If we did what Australia did, most people in America would have worse service availability than they have now. I don't see why you'd want that.

Like Australia's whole deal with the NBN is they grossly downgraded the service standards and then handed vast amounts of money to the existing lovely service ISPs in the meantime, and also grossly downgraded the areas they'd serve with it, particularly in the rural areas. Originally the plan was to provide 100 megabit service in urban areas and seek to aggressively upgrade rural access, it got upgraded to provide gigabit symmetric service in the urban areas... and then a new government came in and dropped the service expectations for urban areas to 25 megabit service for most of it with selective availability of faster speeds. And they reduced the amount of rural area that would receive wired service, deciding it was ok to keep using lovely satellite and fixed-link wireless instead on vast areas that had been promised wired links that equivalent areas in America had already had.

Now this 25 megabit service offering, is still a pretty good upgrade for a lot of Australians, but only because Australia's services available were just so bad to start from, really like America 15-18 years ago for large areas.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

If we did what Australia did, most people in America would have worse service availability than they have now. I don't see why you'd want that.

Like Australia's whole deal with the NBN is they grossly downgraded the service standards and then handed vast amounts of money to the existing lovely service ISPs in the meantime, and also grossly downgraded the areas they'd serve with it, particularly in the rural areas. Originally the plan was to provide 100 megabit service in urban areas and seek to aggressively upgrade rural access, it got upgraded to provide gigabit symmetric service in the urban areas... and then a new government came in and dropped the service expectations for urban areas to 25 megabit service for most of it with selective availability of faster speeds. And they reduced the amount of rural area that would receive wired service, deciding it was ok to keep using lovely satellite and fixed-link wireless instead on vast areas that had been promised wired links that equivalent areas in America had already had.

Now this 25 megabit service offering, is still a pretty good upgrade for a lot of Australians, but only because Australia's services available were just so bad to start from, really like America 15-18 years ago for large areas.

Oh.

Guillermus posted:

Maybe because this thread is mostly filled with people just saying the console is bad or trying to hit on the PS4 and the Switch thread is like being a pedestrian in carmageddon.

Yeah, that's real weird, isn't it? I wonder why things have been allowed to develop that way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
[quote="“CAPT. Rainbowbeard”" post="“477136006”"]
Yeah, that’s real weird, isn’t it? I wonder why things have been allowed to develop that way.
[/quote]

I think it is because when the Xbone was revealed it was an utter joke of a console and people had so much to clown on that those people who didn't care got angry at all the teasing and demanded a second thread. This then further exacerbated issues and came across as the xbone fans not being able to handle criticism and caused people to try and clown even more.

Then it turned out that very few people bought one and as such the conversation kind of dries up because no one really has anything to talk about.

There's no rule about not making fun of consoles. You are absolutely free to do it in the ps4 and switch threads. It's just back in 2013 there was so much to rib about the original xbone. Four years down the line it's pretty much an afterthought like the ouya.

The Bonx might change that and be good and then there will be more posters again but sadly the Bone did it to itself.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ps3 was funnier than xb1 imo

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any decent MMOs on the bone? My friends and I were looking at ESO but locking the Imperials behind a paywall is really lovely.

Edit: is ESO even good? We want a game to chill out on, MMOs seem good for that

Agoat fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 7, 2017

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I dont even know what the sharktank deal is. One second we're talking italian disco deep cuts the next people are having children. All the while there's oddly well informed posts about technical poo poo and ethan makes a bad decision monthly.

Its good and fun and everyone here is welcome to post there.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

If you wanna be friends and just post ina thread that takes 2 mins to load on mobile hit me up in the tank

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Real hurthling! posted:

If you wanna be friends and just post ina thread that takes 2 mins to load on mobile hit me up in the tank

Fix ur phone. I don't have that problem and I'm a Cricket poor

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm having a new dilemma with my xboxox pre-order in that every fall game that I was interested in seems to be a disappointment and I may not have anything to play on it. Don't have a Bone currently.

SW Battlefront beta is bunk, AC Origins looks like a janky mess with Bloodborne wannabe combat, I can't do Destiny at 30fps anymore and it sounds like Bungie hosed up everything I enjoyed anyway, so it's really just down to Wolfenstein 2 at this point. And I guess South Park... can't wait to see Cartman in FOUUUUUUUUR K

At some point PC players are gonna realize I'm owning them in RS Siege with a controller and I'm gonna have to move on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“TheScott2K”" post="“477146772”"]
Fix ur phone. I don’t have that problem and I’m a Cricket poor
[/quote]

I cleared the cache in awful app but it still takes time to load

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm having a new dilemma with my xboxox pre-order in that every fall game that I was interested in seems to be a disappointment and I may not have anything to play on it. Don't have a Bone currently.

SW Battlefront beta is bunk, AC Origins looks like a janky mess with Bloodborne wannabe combat, I can't do Destiny at 30fps anymore and it sounds like Bungie hosed up everything I enjoyed anyway, so it's really just down to Wolfenstein 2 at this point. And I guess South Park... can't wait to see Cartman in FOUUUUUUUUR K

At some point PC players are gonna realize I'm owning them in RS Siege with a controller and I'm gonna have to move on.

Get xbox live gold now and start getting all the games that come out every 2 weeks on it. You can claim them before you even get an Xbox and then download them to your xboxonexbox regardless of if they're Xbox One or Xbox 360 titles as all the recent 360 titles are backwards compatible on Xbox One.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I have bought/played every game I want to play so Games with Gold isn't very useful to me. I'm getting an X for new stuff that pushes the graphical limits.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

So hype for battlenoun and asscreed guys but now maybe they wont be worth 500 dollar hardware??? Wtf

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

None of those are exclusives and you said you had a PC so why are you buying an X? I'd you didn't buy a bone by now you really don't want it. It's not like any hot new game it on the horizon.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RBX posted:

None of those are exclusives and you said you had a PC so why are you buying an X? I'd you didn't buy a bone by now you really don't want it. It's not like any hot new game it on the horizon.

The Xbone Box One X is the ultimate gaming machine.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

fishmech posted:

also fishmech posted:

~death to capitalism~

:thunk::f5h::anarchists:

we probably need a thunkbutton smiley

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

[quote="“fishmech”" post="“477152559”"]
[/quote]

Imagine playing one in a bmw. So much ultimate machinery

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do you buy so much poo poo you don't even know you want? Didn't this same thing happen with PSVR?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I'm probably going to use my Xbox One X, which I did preorder long enough ago to be the Scorpio edition, 90% for YouTube and GTA V and UNO, like I do with my current plain Xbox One. Maybe I'll buy some UHD blu-rays to play on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

fishmech posted:

I'm probably going to use my Xbox One X, which I did preorder long enough ago to be the Scorpio edition, 90% for YouTube and GTA V and UNO, like I do with my current plain Xbox One. Maybe I'll buy some UHD blu-rays to play on it.

excess of capitalism