Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Turtlicious posted:

The etymology of the word "Trump" or to trump something, comes from grecco roman wrestling, when you're TRansitioning to the RUMP position. Took me a while to peace that together haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thread title continues to remain relevant.

Trump is a card game term, notably from Bridge and Euchre, generally meaning a special suit that beats all others. It's derived from Triumph.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The avocado's name is a butchering of the French phrase "avec a do" which means "to have with," fitting because rarely is avocado or guacamole had by itself. :eng101:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cindy Shitbird posted:

The avocado's name is a butchering of the French phrase "avec a do" which means "to have with," fitting because rarely is avocado or guacamole had by itself. :eng101:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pretty sure "avocado" is actually Aztec for "testicle."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Pretty sure "avocado" is actually Aztec for "testicle."

Oh come on, at least put some effort into your fakeposts :rolleyes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

The song Mr. Burns sings, "Like my Vest" is a takeoff of the Beauty and the Beast song "Be my Guest".

The song is See My Vest, which makes it a bit more obvious too.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The thread title isn't an invitation to just make stuff up :colbert:

I just learned that a) "solder" is pronounced differently in the UK and AUS/NZ, and b) some Brits get REALLY salty about the US pronunciation.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what, do they pronounce the L? weird

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh. I didn't know that, either. I only just realized it last night when my wife and I were watching the new movie and I don't think I've heard the Burns song since middle school or so.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Huh, didn't know that. I always thought it was the much more direct "Be My Vest", like he's singing to the dogs about his eventual making a vest out of them. But I haven't seen that episode in at least 15 years.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

om nom nom posted:

Huh, didn't know that. I always thought it was the much more direct "Be My Vest", like he's singing to the dogs about his eventual making a vest out of them. But I haven't seen that episode in at least 15 years.

The vest he's singing about is "made from real gorilla chest" its the very next line in the song COME ON

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

someone awful. posted:

More than that: some of them use a long "o" (so it's basically "soldier" without the "j" sound).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Besesoth posted:

The thread title isn't an invitation to just make stuff up :colbert:

I'm gonna make poo poo up and there ain't squat you can do about it, buster. :colbert:

Uh, let's see ..... uh, 'muscles' were originally called 'mouse-cles' because when you flex it looks like there's little mice jumping around under your skin. Boy, were people surprised when the Dark Ages ended and they were finally allowed to dissect dead bodies and find out what was really in there!

Many people think that the dungeons & dragons monsters called Kobolds are named after the mineral cobalt but it was actually the other way around.

'Noon' comes from the Latin word for 'nine' because it happens at the 9th hour of the day. But then someone decided to move it to 12 o'clock for some reason?

'Antarctic' means "No bears here!" because someone went and checked and there weren't any bears there.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Antarctic' means "No bears here!" because someone went and checked and there weren't any bears there.

Arctic comes from the Greek arktos, bear, so that's uhh pretty close.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Uh, let's see ..... uh, 'muscles' were originally called 'mouse-cles' because when you flex it looks like there's little mice jumping around under your skin. Boy, were people surprised when the Dark Ages ended and they were finally allowed to dissect dead bodies and find out what was really in there!

You, uh, you're actually right on this one. From Latin "musculus", "little mouse", because some muscles look like mice moving around when you flex them (or at least did to ancient Romans).

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The cobalt thing is true too.

Face it guys, he got us.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You dumb mother fuckers

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh come on, at least put some effort into your fakeposts :rolleyes:

Maybe fake for you :rolleyes:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

Face it guys, he got us.

I'll be damned.

Keigel
Oct 19, 2008

I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm made out of gum.
It took until I was 30 (i.e. a couple years ago) to understand what "lefty loosy, righty tighty" meant. I guess moving a wrench in a circular motion messed with my sense of perspective in terms of right and left, but once I learned to frame it with From-12-o-Clock, it finally clicked.

I work in a factory ffs, where you can't go 10 minutes without screwing/unscrewing something! (not to mention decades of experience...um...turning stuff)

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Keigel posted:

It took until I was 30 (i.e. a couple years ago) to understand what "lefty loosy, righty tighty" meant. I guess moving a wrench in a circular motion messed with my sense of perspective in terms of right and left, but once I learned to frame it with From-12-o-Clock, it finally clicked.

I work in a factory ffs, where you can't go 10 minutes without screwing/unscrewing something! (not to mention decades of experience...um...turning stuff)

I still think it's a bad mnemonic. Clockwise is 'right' just as much as counterclockwise is.

e: Yes, measured from 12 o'clock it makes some sense.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Besesoth posted:

b) some Brits get REALLY salty about the US pronunciation.

This is me, and aluminium is an issue too, but at least you spell it differently I think

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

This is me, and aluminium is an issue too, but at least you spell it differently I think

Americans use the original spelling.

https://www.thoughtco.com/aluminum-or-aluminium-3980635

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

And before someone says Uranium I'll say "Platinum". The -ium suffix isn't forced.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The way I learnt it growing up is better than your way

:colbert:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Olive! posted:

I still think it's a bad mnemonic. Clockwise is 'right' just as much as counterclockwise is.

e: Yes, measured from 12 o'clock it makes some sense.
Its a good enough intro for the amount of screwing 95% of the population does which is generally done looking at it from the front and matches to say turning left and right with a car wheel.

By the time you do it regularly you just know by spatial instinct of if your spatial instinct is broke you can use the Right Hand Rule wherever you can literally/figuratively stick/imagine your hand

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

someone awful. posted:

We pronounce it so it rhymes with the similarly spelt "holder".

What would be weird would be pronouncing it totally differently to other words with the same structure.... Such as ignoring the L...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Weembles posted:

Face it guys, he got us.

I mentioned this elsewhere and got another cool element name etymology in response: nickel is named for the Devil! It's from Kupfernickel, "the Devil's copper", a compound so named because it looks like silver but is "just" copper plus "impurities" (that turned out to be elemental nickel).

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I looked it up from curiosity and apparently the American English pronunciation is the older one (happens a lot with Am.E actually), so that's interesting

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

starkebn posted:

The way I learned it growing up is better than your way

:colbert:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

The vest he's singing about is "made from real gorilla chest" its the very next line in the song COME ON

Lol I watched it on YouTube immediately after I posted that and saw how wrong I was.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The :psyduck: smiley is holding its hands on the sides of its head. Those are its forearms, not floppy ears.

No I do not know Pokemon that well, why do you ask?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

iajanus posted:

We pronounce it so it rhymes with the similarly spelt "holder".

What would be weird would be pronouncing it totally differently to other words with the same structure.... Such as ignoring the L...

Yeah, because English is so consistent in every other way when it comes to pronunciation.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

zedprime posted:

Its a good enough intro for the amount of screwing 95% of the population does which is generally done looking at it from the front and matches to say turning left and right with a car wheel.
I'm sure more than 5% of people do their screwing from the back.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
So, this is a head slapping moment for me, but in the show Friday Night Lights, the title refers to the lighting for football games.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah, because English is so consistent in every other way when it comes to pronunciation.

Be fair, the fact that English has lots of weird-assed pronunciation/spelling mismatches doesn't mean that this one is not weird.
Though I think my favourite is the surname "Featherstonehaugh", pronounced "Fan-shaw". One can't help but think it's principal reason for existing is to serve as some kind of classist shibboleth.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

The :quagmire: smilie is the head and neck of Quagmire from Family Guy, not a Mr. Potato head with two red shoes and no arms, a big moustache, and goatee.

this is canon now. good job

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

purple death ray posted:

You dumb mother fuckers

excellent alternative thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

The_White_Crane posted:

Be fair, the fact that English has lots of weird-assed pronunciation/spelling mismatches doesn't mean that this one is not weird.
Though I think my favourite is the surname "Featherstonehaugh", pronounced "Fan-shaw". One can't help but think it's principal reason for existing is to serve as some kind of classist shibboleth.

Yeah, family / town / location name pronunciations like that are the exact definition of shibboleth