Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fray posted:

The munitions used by IC's boomers are a lot stronger that the detonations we've seen, and they fire in much bigger salvos than this. I don't think Earth was shooting down missiles either. The whole drat system would see the energy discharges from PD fire, and PDCs wouldn't actually work in Earth's atmosphere or with this little notice (we don't think Earth has meson tech). On discord we're pretty certain that this was from that Terran DDG. it got two salvos out and then was destroyed in LEO.

Don't CIWS systems work in atmo? Or do they only fire if you target the PDC itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

OwlFancier posted:

Don't CIWS systems work in atmo? Or do they only fire if you target the PDC itself?

I think this is more fluff than crunch right now.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah, CIWS don't do anything unless you've targeted whatever it's installed on.

So going forward, we need to devise protocols to make sure this doesn't happen to us. Limiting jump exposure for crews clearly needs to be given more importance than ever. Fire authorization systems on our ships need to be reviewed as well to keep this from happening.

As others have said, we need to get in on humanitarian assistance. We just talked about how we need to start recruiting Earthers, and this is our chance to earn good will. We can also take refugees to Mars.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Fray posted:

Yeah, CIWS don't do anything unless you've targeted whatever it's installed on.

So going forward, we need to devise protocols to make sure this doesn't happen to us. Limiting jump exposure for crews clearly needs to be given more importance than ever. Fire authorization systems on our ships need to be reviewed as well to keep this from happening.

As others have said, we need to get in on humanitarian assistance. We just talked about how we need to start recruiting Earthers, and this is our chance to earn good will. We can also take refugees to Mars.

On the subject of fire authorisation, we'll need to prepare to fire against our own ships, if this was a case of jump madness. The paranoid elements of High Command (i.e. High Command) must be having kittens right now.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Friend Commuter posted:

On the subject of fire authorisation, we'll need to prepare to fire against our own ships, if this was a case of jump madness. The paranoid elements of High Command (i.e. High Command) must be having kittens right now.

Well I don't trust any of my fellow commanders so I'm already in the proper mindset.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Dr. Snark posted:

Well I don't trust any of my fellow commanders so I'm already in the proper mindset.

Well, I'm already dead, so I'm ahead of the game.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Okay, so if the Commodore and his crew were the ones doing the shooting, how does that fit in with our last sghting of them? Weren't they transferring from Ranginui to Nova Sol on jun 24? Second, why did they only launch 1-2 salvoes, and in such a limited area? Crazycryodude's claim that Putin would focus research activities in Eastern Europe are completely unfounded.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yall better hope I don't get space madness or I'm likely to core Mars. :v:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Hey man, I was just spitballing, not making any authoritative claim. I'm as in the dark as you guys are. Although it seems pretty obvious that Crazy Commodore and Crew got brokebrained by jumping too much, we just have no goddamn idea why they shot what they did.

E: The reason they only got 12 missiles off is because they were blown to bits by other Terrans, though, that's no mystery.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 7, 2017

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

Okay, so if the Commodore and his crew were the ones doing the shooting, how does that fit in with our last sghting of them? Weren't they transferring from Ranginui to Nova Sol on jun 24? Second, why did they only launch 1-2 salvoes, and in such a limited area? Crazycryodude's claim that Putin would focus research activities in Eastern Europe are completely unfounded.

SB spotted his ship arriving in Sol from Nova Sol on June 23. They would have easily reached Earth by June 25. And they only launched two salvos because they were destroyed before launching a third.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yep. Totally that space commodore. And it's likely. Crew members bombing their hometowns to spare their families the pain of being eaten alive.

poo poo is real.

Offer all the aid. And jebus we need protocols put in place yesterday!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

E: Although, the reason they only got 12 missiles off is because they were blown to bits by other Terrans, that's no mystery.
What you're saying here is that Earth destroyed a ship without us getting at least energy readings, and having no ABM defences. I won't comment on how it is in Aurora, but in real life several countries have ABM capabilities.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

We did get energy readings, though? We saw bigger (300-400 kiloton) explosions in orbit at the same time the explosions stopped happening on Earth, and a debris cloud forming. Sounds like the Navy/local defense grid waking up and pasting a rogue DDG to me.

And I'm sure Earth has a missile shield, but it's built to shoot down IPBM's coming from Mars. Can it come online against TNE missiles with friendly IFF fired from right on top of Earth? Keep in mind that missiles go like 16,000 km/s, they'd go from tube to airburst in milliseconds.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 7, 2017

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I'm not sure about the mechanics in Aurora but a missile going 16k km/h into re-entry will get burned up. Otherwise Im conceding the point.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

I'm not sure about the mechanics in Aurora but a missile going 16k km/h into re-entry will get burned up. Otherwise Im conceding the point.

Doesn't matter in aurora.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

16k kilometers per second, not per hour. Aurora things are extremely fast. And yes, it doesn't matter in Aurora because the TNE drive field pushes the atmosphere out of the way or whatever technobabble we want to come up with.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Dance Officer posted:

What you're saying here is that Earth destroyed a ship without us getting at least energy readings, and having no ABM defences. I won't comment on how it is in Aurora, but in real life several countries have ABM capabilities.

A TN shielded missile is fully capable of entering atmosphere at 16,000kps let alone 16. Firing from LEO (350km) there is functionally no chance of interception.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If we are worried about space madness jump psychosis affecting our cerws I suggest setting up a remote staging post between Mars & the Ranganui JP. Any ships returning from outsystem will stopover there, long before they get within spitting distance of an inhabited world. Officers & crew will be rotated off the ship & quarantined, and a fresh insystem only crew will pilot the ship back to it's home port.

This way we can separate our peacetime naval corps into two groups to prevent anybody who travels through a JP from coming near Mars while still in a position to do anything dangerous. If we start moving a lot of warships around this becomes impractical, but maybe by that point we'll have figured out prophylactic measures.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Nevets posted:

If we are worried about space madness jump psychosis affecting our cerws I suggest setting up a remote staging post between Mars & the Ranganui JP. Any ships returning from outsystem will stopover there, long before they get within spitting distance of an inhabited world. Officers & crew will be rotated off the ship & quarantined, and a fresh insystem only crew will pilot the ship back to it's home port.

This way we can separate our peacetime naval corps into two groups to prevent anybody who travels through a JP from coming near Mars while still in a position to do anything dangerous. If we start moving a lot of warships around this becomes impractical, but maybe by that point we'll have figured out prophylactic measures.

We've talked about setting up shop on S-T, which is right by it. Saros assures us they're our BFFs since we liberated them. A fleet base there would also allow us to quickly put a bunch more ships in Rangi if war comes with Earth.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah building up S-T into a nice little fleet base is a good move. It's too small to support maintenance facilities and the like, but as a stopover to change jump-fatigued crew and keep some emergency response forces on station it's great.

Nth-ing the calls for very stringent jump regulations, we want to minimize jumps as much as possible, and I think crews should leave the Sol system a grand total of once in their entire lives in case the jump sickness is permanent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

have we asked putin wtf is up? is this a good time to share our info on jump madness? also what did facility say about our offer to let her brief Mars high command?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

As I understand it, Saros has hinted that jump effects persist a long time and that multiple jumps, even with a lot of time between them lead to accumulating damage. I propose we set up an automated relay between Ranginui and Sol asap and severely limit the amount of jumps any one person can make.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

if this is the same ship we should probably tell Terra all the true details about the conversation we had with the captain in Ranganui, including the materials he shared(?), ASAP. Even aside from ethical concerns, their investigation is sure to uncover the meeting and they'd be likely to consider us co-conspirators as soon as it does

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

oystertoadfish posted:

if this is the same ship we should probably tell Terra all the true details about the conversation we had with the captain in Ranganui, including the materials he shared(?), ASAP. Even aside from ethical concerns, their investigation is sure to uncover the meeting and they'd be likely to consider us co-conspirators as soon as it does

Agreed. This seems like an excellent chance to make positive inroads while Terra is on the relative backfoot.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Worth testing if being in cryosleep (is that a thing yet?) prevents it.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

I feel like maybe we shouldn't mention that he gave us the data stick, maybe just say he let slip about the jumps being deeply unsettling.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Being brainwormed prevents it. all hail the brain worm

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

GunnerJ posted:

Worth testing if being in cryosleep (is that a thing yet?) prevents it.

Yeah, not sure if this hasn't already been suggested or mentioned but would drugging the crew and automating the jump process help?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

We should probably execute the crew of the Tangora to be safe.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I wonder why martians seem more resilient to jump sickness\hallucinations than earthlings. also i believe the captain and crew might have thought there was a warp deamon on earth or in the earth

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

it could also be reallllly bad internal squabble from the space illuminati.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Space :toxogond: is the new CTE.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'd say jump drive research stations is the most likely explanation (Russia/Eastern Europe will have a history of atomic physics institutes).

Tythas posted:

I wonder why martians seem more resilient to jump sickness\hallucinations than earthlings. also i believe the captain and crew might have thought there was a warp deamon on earth or in the earth

It's likely the Terran crews have been through more jumps, in quicker succession. We also noticed on our folks that recovering after the second jump was slower than after the first jump.

Saros, it's possible you might regret having started the trend, I hope it's not annoying, but I too would like to know my personality traits.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Tythas posted:

Probably Martian physiology is less important than Martian Jump tech. Since ours is based on Facility's knowledge rather than whatever Earth stumbled onto it probably has a few more bugs ironed out than theirs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Earth crews have also been through far more jumps than the Martian crews. Our dudes take longer to recover after each jump, Earth's dudes will only have it worse with their buggier tech and more jumps.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I hope shields help well shield us from jump effects (like seeing warp daemons)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I'm with whoever suggested vat cloned human rear end hull insulation.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Hopefully, the use of jump-gates resolves a lot of these issues, otherwise, we're going to have to completely re-think things in terms of colonization

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

With our luck gates are just gonna eat people and never spit them out the other side or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

With our luck gates are just gonna eat people and never spit them out the other side or something

that would be one really happy warp daemon though