Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Just put a ring on one of the jump gate brackets so the space haints get confused and think it's a butthole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'm with whoever suggested vat cloned human rear end hull insulation.

That particular plan was one of mine. I'm glad the nuclear strikes on Earth have brought Martian leadership around! :v:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Crazycryodude posted:

The Earth crews have also been through far more jumps than the Martian crews. Our dudes take longer to recover after each jump, Earth's dudes will only have it worse with their buggier tech and more jumps.

This, definitely. I'm betting that Mars putting strict limits on jump rotations right away had an effect in not letting this happen to us.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah I'm thinking hard upper limit of.... 6 jumps? That's for your entire career. Yeah, it'll mean super high turnover on crews, but it's better than having someone slip through the cracks and snap on us.

Until we can figure out what the gently caress jump sickness is and how to prevent/fix it, we've got to play things incredibly careful.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I'm thinking hard upper limit of.... 6 jumps? That's for your entire career. Yeah, it'll mean super high turnover on crews, but it's better than having someone slip through the cracks and snap on us.

Until we can figure out what the gently caress jump sickness is and how to prevent/fix it, we've got to play things incredibly careful.

I wouldn't say for the career but i would say 6 jumps and then 6 -18 months no jumping we need to study how fast it goes away (if ever) and what the effects really are

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If it goes away, then you can start jumping again, yeah. But from the limited sample size we have, it doesn't really seem to, or at least it goes away super slow.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

too be fair it's been what less than or just over a month since we started jumping?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah, and people are already loving nuking each other. I dread to see what's in the pipeline for a year from now.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Can someone post a new invite link to the Discord? The one on the first page has expired.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Looks like we should see about those immigration reforms. Im sure theres gonna be bunch of people looking to get out of earth.

TheWetFish
Mar 30, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Spoggerific posted:

Can someone post a new invite link to the Discord? The one on the first page has expired.
War of the Worlds discord

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still advocating for my previous suggestion about jumping:

OwlFancier posted:

To be more coherent I would suggest that we establish an interstellar exploration corps, all personnel who will be undergoing jump travel must be incorporated into this organization, all members of the organization will be briefed on our best understanding of the effects of undergoing jump travel and will understand that they can and will be confined indefinitely if they start to exhibit signs of psychological deterioration as a result of the effects of jump travel. It should have a well funded psychology and biology staff whose job is a: under no circumstances undergo jump travel themselves and b: to study the effects of jump travel on those who do. Personnel who have undergone jump travel can not be permitted to rejoin the general population of humanity until further notice, this may change as we learn more about it, or it may be vindicated, but as it stands we have no idea what this technology does to people. For all we know it could be giving us all space ebola.

Things like taking samples from everyone on the crew before they go on their first trip and after subsequent trips to track potential genetic or other damage or possible bacterial/viral/parasitic infection. As well as tracking psychological effects and long term psychological drift as a result of exposure, also look for common elements in the experiences of crew members and try to plot them, and determine the reason for those experiences.

Basically we know there's some kind of horrible alien poo poo out there that already destroyed a way more advanced civilization than ours, we don't know how they went about jump travel or anything about their biology/psychology so while it might have been safe for them it might not be for us. And we don't even know if it was safe for them in the long run. As we have no way of stopping UT from using jump travel it falls upon us to treat jump travel as a hostile, yet necessary phenomenon. We need to understand how it works, what it's doing to us, and anticipate what it might be doing to the Terrans. As well as figuring out if it's going to attract anything that's going to gently caress us all up.

I don't want this to end up going the way of the discovery of radioactivity because the dangers could be existential rather than merely tragic/hilarious in hindsight.

Need desperately to figure out what it does to people because it seems like we now have reason to add "makes you nuke 10 million people to death on your own capital planet" to the list.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I thought it was overkill back when it was proposed but whole poo poo that's like the bare minimum now. How good is brain-scanning technology? Would it be practical to take a super-high resolution MRI or something every time jump crews return to track neurological changes? Hell, can we get a brain scan as we jump? I'm super interested in the neurological angle, if we can see what neurons are firing when maybe we can develop a drug to counteract it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Just in case anyone wondered how things had changed since the map in the first post.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

OwlFancier posted:

Still advocating for my previous suggestion about jumping:

Need desperately to figure out what it does to people because it seems like we now have reason to add "makes you nuke 10 million people to death on your own capital planet" to the list.

I'm wondering just how automated an UT DDG is, anyway? Could 1 officer (even a captain) load, arm, target, and fire all 6 tubes by himself without anyone stopping him, and could he then do it again, still with no interference? I have to imagine a large portion of the crew was complicit and the others distracted.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
I'm gonna laugh if it turns out to be neither us, the IC or the aliens; but the Titian Free State.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Good for them, strike the first blow of the revolution with burning proletarian fury.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jack2142 posted:

We should probably execute the crew of the Tangora to be safe.

Ruuuude. It's not like we even have weapons!

Sounds like it's an internal matter. Offer humanitarian assistance. Get our spies seeing if anyone in the civilian space shipping sector wants to defect after Putin siezed their trade fleets. Or did y'all miss the nationalisation of the civilian traders before the nukes hit.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Veloxyll posted:

Ruuuude. It's not like we even have weapons!

Sounds like it's an internal matter. Offer humanitarian assistance. Get our spies seeing if anyone in the civilian space shipping sector wants to defect after Putin siezed their trade fleets. Or did y'all miss the nationalisation of the civilian traders before the nukes hit.

Nah, when governments nationalize industries the rank & file always get a nice raise to keep them from doing just that because they deserve more than what their fatcat managers paid them. We have to wait 5-10 years for the government appointed managers to run the businesses into the ground and fire half the staff to weed out the malcontents and layabouts.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

If it goes away, then you can start jumping again, yeah. But from the limited sample size we have, it doesn't really seem to, or at least it goes away super slow.

Well, the captain of the ship we had space high seas dinner with (who we also think is the one who nuked earth after being recalled) claimed that from their observations at least some part of jump sickness is permanent. And I think we also had an update on our original jump crew had some afflicted people caught conspiring to mutiny the ship? We might have just avoided a similar fate to Earth with a combination of Martian paranoia and our path to Raganui requiring fewer jumps.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

First off, can I get my captain's traits and such?

Secondly, :stare: Jesus. Call up Earth, offer them aid, and then form a combined mission into research and treatment of jump psychosis. This cannot be allowed to happen again.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah, Moscow just got Hiroshima'd. That is all kinds of hosed.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
The thing about humanitarian aid is that I sort of doubt there will be many left alive after explosions that big.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
There'll be plenty in the nearby fallout zones though, Kiev for example is going to have to be evacuated. That's going to require unprecedented resources, to put it mildly.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
250 posts? Must have been something with th---Sweet baby Jesus.

First off, complete agreement with this:

Rorac posted:

Call up Earth, offer them aid, and then form a combined mission into research and treatment of jump psychosis. This cannot be allowed to happen again.

Second off: Speaking of the possible rogue UT captain, has anyone actually checked what was on that data stick yet? Can't help but think now would be the time if not; even if it's just insane ramblings, it would at least give us a clue as to what in the buggery just happened.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Last I knew, the data was being looked into by appropriately suspicious minds. I don't think the results were released.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Dance Officer posted:

The thing about humanitarian aid is that I sort of doubt there will be many left alive after explosions that big.

Nah, 100 kilotons in nuke terms isn't that big See what that does to Moscow here. Millions in central Moscow will die, but the surrounding area is fine, especially if it was a airburst instead of a groundburst (airbursts produce alot less radiation since there's not soot cloud kicked up to irradiate)

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Last I knew, the data was being looked into by appropriately suspicious minds. I don't think the results were released.

Hmph. Fine as long as those appropriately suspicious minds aren't just in SB and keep it to themselves. Speaking of that branch...

Third point: Can someone get Senator Harris, by hook or by crook, on the line and just pin him (preferably with something nice and heavy; I would favour a rivet gun myself) down long enough to make sure this wasn't some half-baked alpha strike against the UT that never got cancelled after the Lunar Accords?

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Maybe we should do some testing how severe the space madness from jumping can get. Maybe set up a ship that can be remote controlled and monitored, strap a bunch of convicts into it and just have it jump back and forth for a while to see what happens. Just make sure the thing doesn't have any nukes, or if it has then only one to remotely detonate in case the "crew" starts talking in tongues and freeing themselves with inhuman strength or something like that. How can we know how severe this madness can get without some extremely morally questionable science to find out?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The datastick the UT commodore gave us was poorly sanitized personnel records and some notes on what the UT knew/thought about jump sickness last we heard. It's how we deduced that they've explored probably around 3 systems, and that their crews are getting hit hard by jump sickness.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Coincidentally, there were mass demonstrations against Putin going on yesterday as a birthday present to him.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

:tinfoil: What a coincidence :tinfoil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

I'm wondering just how automated an UT DDG is, anyway? Could 1 officer (even a captain) load, arm, target, and fire all 6 tubes by himself without anyone stopping him, and could he then do it again, still with no interference? I have to imagine a large portion of the crew was complicit and the others distracted.

I mean, given the state of the crew, is it that difficult to imagine they were sufficiently hosed up by the jump effects that he could manage to pull enough of a coup to do it?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

It is midnight on the 25th of June 2052.

Earth remains in shock, the state media is locked down and tightly controlled but news spreads freely across the comnet and the world tries to grapple with the enormity of the disaster they are facing. Not since the Ross ice collapse has Terra faced such a tremendous loss of life and humanitarian disaster.

Information is scarce with no immediate cause identified and the State says nothing. What is apparent however is the sheer scale of the attacks, in this modern age with everything networked and camera equipped the world's screens fill with the horror of nuclear war. Video footage emerges of buildings blowing away like leaves in the breeze, whole streets of pedestrians turned to ash and shadows on the ground before the footage cuts off. Even the most hardened of warhawks is given pause and the world holds its breath bracing for more to come.

Most of Eastern Europe is dark, the EM pulses having destroyed everything electronic and disabled most advanced technology. Almost all transportation is disabled from the EM pulses of the weapons and eighty million people are without power so in scenes not seen in europe for over a hundred years huge refugee columns stretch to the horizon as people flee west trying vainly to escape the fallout plumes even now rising from the ruins of the targeted cities.

Satellites track the fallout as it disperses. Hundreds of thousands of people are unknowingly already dead as they absorb lethal amounts of radiation in vain attempts to flee and word from first response units landing in Moscow indicates over a hundred thousand people may be entombed alive in the collapsed metro system.

All of Europe braces as the prevailing winds carry the fallout west, nearly four hundred million people will be exposed to some level of fallout and the Terran bureaucracy siezes as it tries to implement doomsday plans nobody ever thought would have to be employed.

Up to ten million people are thought to be dead or badly injured in what is quite simply the worst single peacetime humanitarian disaster in recorded history and the whole Solar system grapples with a single question.

Why?

--------------------------------------------------------------

SENATE HOURLY SITUATION REPORT;
2359hrs 25 June 2052

Latest updates:
  • Casualty estimates for 25 June incident remain around ten million.
  • The Director General is believed to have been present in Moscow at the time of the attacks, his current status is unknown.
  • Terra has indicated it will accept external assistance and fast response SAR and hospital ships are already inbound to Terra.
  • Terra has further indicated that they are on the highest alert and any aggressive moves from Martian forces will be considered an act of war.
  • The Martian senate is in emergency session to authorise relief funds and refugee grants. The ships Maui and Blue Mars are preparing to depart for Terra with relief supplies and the museum cryoship Crimson Dreaming is being reactivated for refugee transport.
  • Humint reports from Terra indicate that the source of the nuclear strikes is believed to have originated from the Terran missile destroyer Korbalev which was positioned in low orbit having recently returned from extrasolar space. The Korbalev was rapidly destroyed by orbital defences after being identified as the source of the strikes.
  • No rationale is known for the strikes. Fleet intelligence believes that the commander and crew of the Korbalev are largely drawn from it's Terra's Eastern European territories per the standard Terran practice of providing ships with crew from relatively homogenous backgrounds.
  • In light of the findings of emergency committee 224-A all Martian crewmembers currently in Sol exposed to jump travel are being relieved of duty and emergency quarantine procedures are being enacted for all jump exposed personnel.

Saros fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 8, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

So, uh, what're the odds that Vlad is a rapidly cooling cloud of ashes right now? That could be very bad (for Earth at least, a power struggle would be great for Mars).

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So, it was them nuking their own families then? That's hosed up.

Do we think Putin died at least? That would be something. I'd have to imagine if he didn't die he will have to make a public appearance asap lest his rivals try to move into the power vacuum.

Also are we sure we should send the Terrans money? Food, blankets, medicine ect, sure. But I'd be pretty leery of transferring liquid currency in the current situation. Odds are we'd just be bankrolling some bastard exploiting the situation in one way or another.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Pharnakes posted:

So, it was them nuking their own families then? That's hosed up.

Do we think Putin died at least? That would be something. I'd have to imagine if he didn't die he will have to make a public appearance asap lest his rivals try to move into the power vacuum.

Also are we sure we should send the Terrans money? Food, blankets, medicine ect, sure. But I'd be pretty leery of transferring liquid currency in the current situation. Odds are we'd just be bankrolling some bastard exploiting the situation in one way or another.

Why would we send them money? There are only four places they could buy stuff from -- us (we're already sending aid), Titan (they'll probably send some too), the IC (gently caress the IC) or themselves (why would they, when they can nationalise the company until the state of emergency ends?)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Friend Commuter posted:

(why would they, when they can nationalise the company until the state of emergency ends?)
:tinfoil: Putin did 6/25 :tinfoil:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Friend Commuter posted:

Why would we send them money? There are only four places they could buy stuff from -- us (we're already sending aid), Titan (they'll probably send some too), the IC (gently caress the IC) or themselves (why would they, when they can nationalise the company until the state of emergency ends?)

We don't send them the money, we give it to Terran refugees once they arrive on Mars so they can buy food, etc. until they land a job working in the shipyards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Nevets posted:

We don't send them the money, we give it to Terran refugees once they arrive on Mars so they can buy food, etc. until they land a job working in the shipyards.

Well, yes, any polity that would let Crazy "One-Dude Internationale" Cryo command a warship probably has a generous social safety net.