Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

So... is it nuts to suggest that maybe this forum no longer belongs in Games?

Absolutely nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Absolutely nuts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

The test build of 3.0 is predictably terrible, Derek is incommunicado after a probate in GBS of all things

I think Derek is just busy, there's a lot of stuff happening that's not public yet.

Also there's a watermark in the build that is making sharing screenshots a pain in the arse. Check his twitter for details, as given what's going on, I'm being careful with what I say.

AP fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 8, 2017

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

TheAgent posted:

man why the gently caress isn't monty python and the holy grail on amazon or netflix or hulu

what the gently caress guys

get that poo poo on there

Or life of brian

"Well CIG did give us jpegs"

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

Just went skimmed through the monthly report and then did a search for the word 'network'. In the entire multiple page long document the word did not appear once.

4 studios, working over the space of a month, did not work at all on an MMO's networking.

:psyboom::psyboom::psyboom:

No loving wonder it can barely handle 6 players.

I feel like a broken record sometimes, but SC is built on the basis of an arena shooter with twitch type combat.

Building that framework into an mmo isn't a trivial task, to the point where even very low level core functionality needs to be built with an mmo type framework behind it.

What CIG is trying to do is streamline an arena games networking capabilities until it support hundreds of simultaneous players in a level all with twitch shooter capabilities, moving between different control styles (space, ground vehicle, personal, including all these variants with the option of being inside these objects as well).

Effectively what CR thinks he can do is take something incredibly streamlined like the GTA multiplayer system, which manages to do all these things, except set the player count to 9,000, and it will magically all work because he wants it to.

They're running into network issues not only because they don't have talent, but because they aren't even building an mmo yet; they're still working on a very poo poo tier multiplayer arena shooter framework and trying to ramrod more players into it than it can support. You don't build an mmo by making a basic multiplayer game and then deciding you will just set the maximum player count to 9,000 per "mesh instance" or whatever lies he's told, and it just works because you are so good at motion capture.

Now this is ok because Squadron 42 was supposed to have drop-in/drop-out cooperative stuff. But this is not good for Star Citizen itself, which is sold even today with ships that have more crew requirements than they can even get working over 5 years into development.

Nobody wants to acknowledge this, but based on this, Star Citizen has not even begun development yet. :eng99:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Lets put development resources into coming up with a watermarking scheme to catch out and punish our most devoted backers for leaking footage of an alpha patch beta. It's the most inconsequential poo poo, especially when it isn't even being passed off as final code. I have no idea why they care so much since the release version is just as broken as the beta. Yet another case of Goon/Derek paranoia dictating development. It isn't a lot of work, but why even spend a day on it?

[User made private some videos that show the game is still as broken as ever. Have fun with your vibrating commando killing ship in 3.0, and then having to pay an insurance claim to fix it.]

Tokamak fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 8, 2017

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

AP posted:

I think Derek is just busy, there's a lot of stuff happening that's not public yet.

Check his twitter for details

This is the worst advice any human being has ever given me, and I was once told that I should watch 2 Broke Girls.

e: spelling is hard

Flared Basic Bitch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 8, 2017

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Tokamak posted:

Lets put development resources into coming up with a watermarking scheme to catch out and punish our most devoted backers for leaking footage of an alpha patch beta. It's the most inconsequential poo poo, especially when it isn't even being passed off as final code. I have no idea why they care so much since the release version is just as broken as the beta. Yet another case of Goon/Derek paranoia dictating development. It isn't a lot of work, but why even spend a day on it?

:tinfoil:

e: oh, you made them private. never mind

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It was just bug report footage, accidentally made public. Just the typical vibrating ship. I didn't bother saving the footage.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

Also there's a watermark in the build that is making sharing screenshots a pain in the arse.

They didn't put much effort regarding the watermarking, fiddle with HUE, a easy way to post images just take a pic using your phones camera or even using FRAPS.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Absolutely nuts

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Thoatse”" post="“477146620”"]

[/quote]

This is super cute. :3:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Zzr”" post="“477149886”"]
So soon Frontier will have made 3 games, in the same time CIG made 0. Are there problems in SC development ?
[/quote]

Does motion capture capture itself?

Of course there's no problems. :)

No red flags either. :)

3.0 really is everything you ever wanted it to be and more!!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

star citizent a game

move this whole thread to PI

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It will need it to make it to the general public before anything meaningful can happen.

That in itself is a massive sea-change from previous years and patches. Remember when 2.0 got out to the ptu? It was wall to wall coverage well before it got into our hands (and then we played through 2 hours of glitchy broken content that they still haven't improved on two years later.)

This time, there is no coverage. It feels like the constant hype has absolutely sucked all the oxygen out of the room. Backers are so jaded by promises and announcements that the Jesus patch can roll out to some of them and the rest are just going "Eh. I'll believe it when I see it." I'm glad of it. And I don't think that what they see, when it does arrive, is going to energize them substantially.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

In this case

Derek

Derek still tricked them

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

TheAgent posted:

move this whole thread to PI

Finally a voice of reason.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

More like a voice of treason!!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also goddamn man

I know I have said this before

but

divinity os2 is real real good

I feel I wouldn't even see everything in the game with multiple playthroughs

gently caress

ain't got time for that poo poo, 3.0 is HERE

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?
Just watched the frontier stuff about Elite. Nothing show stopping, but lots of much needed improvements all around including possibly adding actual game play finally. Although they said very little on what exactly we'll be able to do and interact with the new features. That being said it seems like they are giving away an extended Season 2 with no additional costs involved besides having to purchase horizons which surprised me they are extending "Season 2" another year with no additional fees involved.

Now they did mention something about personal codex or something that it looks like they will be attempting to integrate someway for individuals to interact with some kind of personal narrative...again like many things with FDEV still very tight to the chest.

Squadrons and mobile bases hips look interesting along with much needed group play content/wings missions, but what else can we do with the base ships? What about exploring. Let's say go to a new system, drop a nav beacon, and then trade/mining/etc. causes a colony to pop up via the background sim? Still wouldn't the be territory control some are looking for, but it would provide something to do with said base ships. What about attacking a rival ship? Maybe not destroying it, but forcing it to retreat would cause damage the group would have to repair by completing missions....I'm just spitballing here.

Shame I'll have rugrat around by this time next year so the fun stuff might actually come out and I won't have time to enjoy it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

TheAgent posted:

also goddamn man

but

gently caress

im so jealous of everyone who can afford to buy d:os2 i wish i had the money to buy it =(

doing the first one coop was so much fun

Ramadu fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 8, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

That in itself is a massive sea-change from previous years and patches. Remember when 2.0 got out to the ptu? It was wall to wall coverage well before it got into our hands (and then we played through 2 hours of glitchy broken content that they still haven't improved on two years later.)

This time, there is no coverage. It feels like the constant hype has absolutely sucked all the oxygen out of the room. Backers are so jaded by promises and announcements that the Jesus patch can roll out to some of them and the rest are just going "Eh. I'll believe it when I see it." I'm glad of it. And I don't think that what they see, when it does arrive, is going to energize them substantially.
its super weird

when 2.5 and 2.6 hit, there was like, I dunno, shitloads of activity from peeps that I know

now it's like nuthin'. absolutely nuthing

so strange

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

also goddamn man

but

gently caress

I just got it today gently caress yeah

Also lol I'm the guy telling Croberts that yes it absolutely is a good idea to spend precious resources embedding a watermark in our game to catch filthy leakers.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Also lol I'm the guy telling Croberts that yes it absolutely is a good idea to spend precious resources embedding a watermark in our game to catch filthy leakers.
well yea

they might say its like

bad n stuff

can't have that

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Beet Wagon posted:

As if it wasn't Chris's idea to begin with

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I need to play more Divinity os2

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

I need to play more Divinity os2
tophat skeleton man

I like you

you're cool

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
and gently caress me the sims 4 is coming to consoles

godammit

just

loving godammit

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheAgent posted:

tophat skeleton man

I like you

you're cool

Then invite me into your game, I am a clueless skeleton

Sims 4 coming to consoles aint that bad

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tokamak posted:

[User made private some videos that show the game is still as broken as ever. Have fun with your vibrating commando killing ship in 3.0, and then having to pay an insurance claim to fix it.]

holy loving poo poo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Tophat posted:

Then invite me into your game, I am a clueless skeleton

Sims 4 coming to consoles aint that bad
its bad for my free time and money

I might be able to play a some next weekend

for tonight I am going to pass the gently caress out

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

TheAgent posted:

its bad for my free time and money

I might be able to play a some next weekend

for tonight I am going to pass the gently caress out

Alright cool, hit me up some time

And I need to pass out soon

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This will be the end until whatever comes next, then that will be the end.

You already have the ELE. The ELE was in the game all along.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
So what sort of RPG is Divinity: Original Sin 2? I've only ever played JRPGs.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Version 3.0.0-ptu.638351

You will now gain criminality for parking illegally

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

toanoradian posted:

So what sort of RPG is Divinity: Original Sin 2? I've only ever played JRPGs.

Isometric turn based strategy RPG as far as combat goes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Did D:OS2 fix the horrible crafting system, inventory and pixel hunting from the first game?

Oh sorry this is the Star Citizen thread, well I'm really considering getting into it once 3.0 drops but maybe I'll check out the Citcon footage first seeya.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Total coconuts. Hello from the carribean, btw.

I’m mainly enjoying mimosas and seabreezes, but i require some cocktails that go with 100 degree weather.

Also i assume 3.0 is going great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

tuo posted:

Evocati is not about money. It's about loyalty and devotion. Okay, first it's about a lot of money, but that doesn't get you evocati status. You have to truly believe in Chris' word, like...truly. Like that Miku dude, but worse. You have to do something not many of the whales do: you have to actually play the game. Constantly. And provide feedback to the paperbin called issue council. And you have to do this without melting down like WTFO, and without getting :argh: like pgabz. Basically, you have to be loving rich, plus the calmest person on this planet. Actually, I think it's easier to get the Nobel Peace Price than getting to Evocati status.

Or simply ask MoMa, he knows them, or ask Derek, he has access to an Evocati account.

It's about who submits the most bug reports and confirmations in the issue council. But, believe what you want to.