Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, it took me 39 cycles to find my first steam geyser, and it's in the middle of a bunch of chlorine pockets.

I think I'm gonna start a new game...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

In other news, they still haven't added a mechanism to automatically turn off generators once their connected batteries reach a certain percentage, huh?

It works for the manual generator, but every other generator keeps chugging even after their batteries become full, which is super annoying as it wastes valuable fuel.

The setting works for the normal generators too, but it doesn't mean that they turn off automatically when the batteries fill up; it means that dupes won't refuel them until the batteries drop below that %. So you want to set the limit down to about 20-30% or so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Generators at least to me appear to only be producing as much power as needed when batteries are full. i.e. a coal gen will output barely any co2 and run forever on a single coal load if it's got a very light load hooked up.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My primary water supply keeps getting contaminated. After close examination, I realized that this is caused by water purifiers not filtering out germs. So polluted water becomes regular water, but the germs remain for some reason. I have no idea why. I hope it's a bug because, short of heating up the entire water supply, I don't know how to decontaminate it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

enraged_camel posted:

My primary water supply keeps getting contaminated. After close examination, I realized that this is caused by water purifiers not filtering out germs. So polluted water becomes regular water, but the germs remain for some reason. I have no idea why. I hope it's a bug because, short of heating up the entire water supply, I don't know how to decontaminate it.

Its intended. Water has to be 40c to kill germs.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

That's pretty lame. Feels like another one of those things they added that just makes things more tedious.

edit: yeah, liquid tepidizer requires a whopping 960 W of power. More than a single generator of any kind. gently caress that poo poo. They need to add a way to turn off germs completely because it's pretty awful right now.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 6, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A water tepidizer will keep your polluted water pool very hot super cheaply, killing all germs real fast.. The first time you do it it might take a few cycles of constant power depending on how much polluted water you've accumulated, but after that it'll eat barely any power, especially if your pool is insulated.

I was wrong about the generators though, they definitely run at full throttle regardless of power requirements.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

OK, someone was asking about slimelung earlier. Here's how it works:

Your dupes inhale the germ if it's in the air. For every 1000 germs they inhale, their immune system gets -1% per cycle. Each dupe has 15%/cycle base immunity gain, so once they inhale 15000 slimelung germs, their immunity starts going down - slowly at first, then fairly quickly.

Once their immunity reaches 0%, they contact the disease. Unlike food poisoning, slimelung requires treatment at a med-bay. If left untreated for 10 cycles, the dupe dies. Once the dupe receives treatment, it takes 4 cycles for them to go back to normal health.

So yeah, it can definitely be avoided, and in fact it's hard to catch it unless your dupes spend extended amounts of time in the slime biome.

One thing to note is that slimelung is not a surface germ, so wash basins don't do anything. Disinfecting stuff also seems quite ineffective. That said, trace amounts of the germ floating around in the base isn't a risk. You just gotta be careful if you go into the slime biome. The Vitals menu is great for that since it lists each dupe's immunity so you can easily see it. If a dupe's immunity starts going down, I use the airlock door controls to deny them access into the slime biome for a while until the germ is out of their system (which happens gradually - no treatment needed).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Both food poisoning and slime lung work pretty much the same way, really. Having a ton of germs everywhere is not an issue, as long your dupes don't ingest it. That said, getting food poisoning to infect air takes a lot of carelessness, and even if a dupe contracts it it's more of an annoyance than a real danger, unlike slime lung. Also, getting a lot of slime lung in food seems like it'd be a super quick way to deathville, so washbasins definitely help if a dupe that has tons of surface slimelung (normally harmless) from moving lots of infected stuff goes on to make food.

I am rather disappointed though, that taking a swim in pools of germy water doesn't even cause surface germs on dupes. Honestly unless you're going to reuse polluted water, heating it is more dangerous to dupes than just leaving it alone, because sometimes they'll want to go pick up something and lose 20 hit points to burns.

Which reminds me why I came to this thread earlier in the first place. I was on cycle 150, everything is going nicely, suddenly a bunch of dupes decide it's time to die, go into an area that's far away from breathable air, then when they do the "not enough o2" emote instead of running back to base like they normally do they just stood there or took 3 steps forward then 4 steps back until like 6 died. Now I have frozen dupes deep below my basement :ghost:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there a way to make a proper airlock, that lets a dupe in, cycles the air, and then lets the dupe out? I've noticed over time, the airlock accumulates whatever pathogens from outside, and this slowly leaks into the base every time a dupe uses the airlock.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Q8ee posted:

Is there a way to make a proper airlock, that lets a dupe in, cycles the air, and then lets the dupe out? I've noticed over time, the airlock accumulates whatever pathogens from outside, and this slowly leaks into the base every time a dupe uses the airlock.

No direct way. I made a airlock type deal with a closed room and atmo switch. You have to solve that problem.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Q8ee posted:

temple posted:

No direct way. I made a airlock type deal with a closed room and atmo switch. You have to solve that problem.

Actually there is a way. You can build a decontamination chamber filled with chlorine like shown below:

Chlorine kills any germs it comes into contact with (after about a cycle) so any air that occasionally seeps in through the airlock gets decontaminated.

It's not a perfect solution, and kind of unnecessary right now, but might become useful when they add more diseases.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Welp, game started crashing on cycle 194 and I have no idea what causes it. FML

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
This game is fun but the lack of a threat and basically unlimited resources really makes this a sandbox with some survival. I really hope they add in a few Don't Starve level gently caress yous.

I stopped accepting dupes at 15 jerks and the only danger is when they decide to wall themselves off or trap themselves on a ledge. Also heat may be becoming a problem? Dupes don't seem to care, but I'm going to need to move my electrolysis set up away from my farming.

...Should I just see how many dupes I can get up to?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Early Access users can now beta test (beta of an alpha :v:) updates two weeks before it goes live. Next update is oil related.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/82199-oil-upgrade-preview-coming-thursday/

• Oil Biome

• New Elements: Oil, Petroleum, Plastic

• New Creature: Slicksters

• New Medicinal Plant: Balm Lily

• New Exosuits: Allow Duplicants to venture safely into new locations

• New Buildings:

• Oil Refinery

• Well Cap

• Petroleum Generator

• Polymer Press

• Plastic Ladders

• Plastic Tiles

• Comfy Bed

• Sink

• Exosuit Station

• Exosuit Checkpoint

• Exosuit Dock

• Heavi-Watt Wire Tile

• High Pressure Gas Vent

• Animal Trap and drop-point

• Apothecary reintroduced

• All-purpose Placebo pills

• Vitamin Chews to boost immune systems

• Disease population now limited by the mass of the object it's on

• New "Room" mechanic: Better management of medical facility assignment, and to give poor Duplicants something to aspire to

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Heavi-Watt Wire Tile

all my power problems, fixed. it was so annoying having to do a bunch of transformers to get high amounts of power into insulated places

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wonder if the oil biome will be liquid pockets with stone between, or we have to go a further step to collect it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Animal traps! Yes!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Dogen posted:

Animal traps! Yes!

Yeah, they couldn't go on about how useful the animals are without giving us the ability to control them, this is perfect!

Oil too? Plastic for better running around speed? Now this is an update! I'm liking what I'm seeing here. It's coming together.

Exosuits are something I expected to come along eventually. Can't expect our dupes to just walk into unbreathable gas pockets and vacuum ALL the time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I'm liking the amount of content in the upcoming update. Several more like that and the game will be in really good shape.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It seems a lot better than a disease update that is kind of lovely and took so many months. Encouraging.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

No more watching my pawns suicide running into deadly areas until their breath runs out, I'm not sure if I am happy or disappointed

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, the advantage of having a farm plot is that it can provide fertilizer (which you have to make) and that speeds up the growth/yield of the plant, and hydroponics tiles further speed it up, but I'm okay just starting out with huge banks of planters in a section, right?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah you start out with planters and move to tiles when you can.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Anyone having issues with electrolyzers putting out a ton of heat?

It's supposed to be around 6-7W, but a single one puts out more heat than my entire 8 hamster wheel/battery/transformer set up.

Water going in is ~25c and what's coming out heats up to 40-50C really quickly, like less than a cycle or two. The unit itself gets over 30c too.

I've tried open air and enclosed spaces.

It's been an issue in both on stable and the Oil experimental.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I cannot wait until the Heavi-watt blocks get correctly implemented and I can stop leaving gigantic gaps all over my colony for running wires. Maybe I'll finally get my pawns to stop bitching about a five inch thick bundle of wire running under their bedspread. -300 decor really?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I cannot wait until the Heavi-watt blocks get correctly implemented and I can stop leaving gigantic gaps all over my colony for running wires. Maybe I'll finally get my pawns to stop bitching about a five inch thick bundle of wire running under their bedspread. -300 decor really?

Yeah, each heavy wire is like -25 with a 6 tile radius, so it adds up fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Bondematt posted:

Anyone having issues with electrolyzers putting out a ton of heat?

It's supposed to be around 6-7W, but a single one puts out more heat than my entire 8 hamster wheel/battery/transformer set up.

Water going in is ~25c and what's coming out heats up to 40-50C really quickly, like less than a cycle or two. The unit itself gets over 30c too.

I've tried open air and enclosed spaces.

It's been an issue in both on stable and the Oil experimental.

Electrolysers put out gas at a static 60 degrees.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Why are you running the heavy wire so close to their living quarters though?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Truga posted:

Electrolysers put out gas at a static 60 degrees.

They DO use water at any temp though so feel free to use nearly boiling geyser water to feed them and your showers/toilets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dogen posted:

Why are you running the heavy wire so close to their living quarters though?

That was a bit of a joke, I usually run them through the bottom level where the workstations are. I try to keep my bases small though so it kind of all runs together. I need to get used to running utility corridors and not just doing it through walking spaces.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The easiest way to do power for me is make a separate ladder shaft that's walled on all sides, and install the fat cable under that ladder. Keep a 3 wide space on the left or right, for the transformers that branch off small cables for separate base floors.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Truga posted:

The easiest way to do power for me is make a separate ladder shaft that's walled on all sides, and install the fat cable under that ladder. Keep a 3 wide space on the left or right, for the transformers that branch off small cables for separate base floors.

Yeah that is my plan for my next base. I can tell I like this game because I keep coming up with new ideas while at work and going home to try them out with a new base.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I basically have a "transformer room" directly above the power generators that is sequestered off to one side or the other, then I feed out of those transformers into various circuits. I have in the past done a "ladder system" with two tile floors and the transformers oriented vertically. This only works if you put the room on the left side of your base and it takes up a ton of space.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Does the oil biome spawn really far from the origin point? I've played three games so far and none of them have had any oil whatsoever.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
From the description it looks like you have to dig down to find oil. I haven't tried the update yet though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So how's the oil update? Anyone played it?

I'm wondering if the content in it is worth starting a new colony, or if I should wait until the next update.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oil adds a whole new late-game resource process that demands quite a lot of your duplicants, as oil only spawns deep below where it's too hot for most machinery to operate so you'll be making regular repairs, on top of the process largely creating a lot of heat. Plastic items are worth it though, with more efficient tiles/ladders/beds and tools for moving critters to places you want them to be.

Exosuits are also very useful. Even outside of exploring the boiling depths, I've found putting exosuit checkpoints at all my base's exits has been fantastic for my duplicants' stress levels, since they're now not dealing with low oxygen or getting their feet wet or all the other little things that add up for their stressors.

I didn't play the Outbreak upgrade so I had plenty more stuff to do that made for a very different game to my previous one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Constantly having to repair stuff doesn't sound fun. It's one of the main reasons I stopped playing RimWorld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Had a real good map going until I realized, too late, that running two coal generators in the open air will fill the place with CO2.

It's fine, my spawn was covered in slimelung and hot temps, making exploring a pain.

I don't like research. It's just busy work that you have to do before you can play for real. Sorely tempted to see if Cheat Engine has a way around it.