Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Mystery: Why does Mindy only masturbate instead of trying to bang Eleanor and Chibi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Spanish Matlock posted:

The next reveal is that they've been in the good place the entire time and this has actually all just been an extremely complicated way to get them to improve themselves. The resets weren't because of failure, they're trying to get them to the point where they're intrinsically good from the start.

That would be more the purgatory to the Good Place's 'Heaven'. The Make-You-Better Place?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Lycus posted:

Mystery: Why does Mindy only masturbate instead of trying to bang Eleanor and Chibi?

I mean I feel like aggressively masturbating at someone is a kind of weird pick-up line.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I don't know what you are into, but it seems that it applies to her quite well.

Oops noooo.

Tahani is a gorgeous person. Not what I meant.

Jameela Al-Jameel translates to 'Beautiful lady, the beautiful'

Tahani Al-Jameel translates to 'congratulations of the beautiful'.

Their names add up to a joke about their standing within their family. Jameela gets to carry the family name's weight while tahani is an afterthought.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jameela is Tahani's actress's name. Kamilah is her sister.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Jameela is Tahani's actress's name. Kamilah is her sister.

Oh :( I messed up bad. Yeah kamilah means perfect. My bad. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So does that mean that the actress Jameela Alia Jamil is named something like "beautiful lady the beautiful" because that also rules

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

More Veronica Mars would be wonderful

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ernie. posted:

Oh :( I messed up bad. Yeah kamilah means perfect. My bad. :(

I was about to say, you had me doubting so I was researching and every source for names I could find said that it meant perfect. The joke obviously being that Tahani's parents favoured her little sister from or even before birth.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

More Veronica Mars would be wonderful

Didn't they already do that, and it was terrible?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snak posted:

Didn't they already do that, and it was terrible?

I'm not quite sure why people hated that movie.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I didn't see it, so I don't know if it was terrible. I was told it was terrible because they sacrificed a good narrative to shoehorn in characters from the show.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

MiddleOne posted:

I watched it once and remember nothing about the story except there was a big fight scene, was very mediocre, and had a ton of fan service but I can't remember what exactly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I liked the Veronica Mars movie well enough because hey more time with Veronica and crew, but they made some baffling choices. Logan is not a Navy pilot, he just isn't.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i literally don't remember a single thing that happened in the veronica mars movie but i think it was ok

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
An interview with D'Arcy Carden. Spoilers on how they do the beach falls:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/the-good-place-janet-on-the-twist-and-the-audition.html

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

PotatoJudge posted:

An interview with D'Arcy Carden. Spoilers on how they do the beach falls:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/the-good-place-janet-on-the-twist-and-the-audition.html

Her mom rules.

quote:

And my mom still makes fun of me to this day and will often sign letters “M’om” which is just so funny.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's amazing how D'arcy Carden manages to both be very attractive and completely asexual at the same time. I'm not sure she isn't a robot!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

precision posted:

I'm not sure she isn't a robot!
She's not a robot.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Just binged through the show, it was pretty fun. I'm not really feeling it fully though. I mean it has some really fun episodes and interactions, but then it'll be really boring the next time and it kinda bums me out. This season is a great example since I found the first two-parter and its follow-up episode great but then the latest episode was such a drag. It's also why I'm ambivalent on the twist; the actual twist itself and what it did for the overall setting and Michael was great. And I really love all the extras that get to be fun bad guys now. But I was really enjoying the cast interactions of the first loop and I can't get into the constantly reset versions at all because of that. The final episodes of season 1 most of my laughs and enjoyable moments came from the interaction between those four and Janet, perhaps best exemplified by the entire ending to episode 10. I noticed with this season, almost none of them do, instead coming down to the extras/Michael/just solo moments from each of them. Obviously that can change from this point on but that's still 4 episodes and counting 'wasted' on their reset relationships, and while the finale and opening two-parter definitely held up amazingly enough for it not to matter, at this point it's affecting my enjoyment for sure. Especially Tahani feels almost completely left out nowadays, her two biggest scenes of the season were even practically solo scenes (the party ruining in the season opener, and her death flashback). Three if you count her new soulmate troubles in the opener which wasn't solo but had no others of the main four obivously.

Also I was really enjoying Chidi at the start, but now - especially since the reboot - I can't get into his character at all. On the other hand Jason has somewhat grown on me, although episode 4 felt like a bit of a setback on that front too.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 7, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a 25 min show and they are setting the story, plus they basically just did a season highlights reel of a season they never existed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Sure but that doesn't help me enjoy it more. I was pretty ambivalent for like the first half of season 1 before their chemistry really hit and having it mostly reset is making me mostly ambivalent again now.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I really wish I had time right now to rewatch season one. I just watched it for the first time last spring, but I really want to see it again. I was hooked after the pilot and I only think it's gotten better.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I recommend 2 grams of Vitamin Weed.

Cures what ails you

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The last episode was necessary to set up the rest of the season. It had some good moments.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How many of Jason's boys do we know of? Pillboi, Donkey Doug, there was at least one more I don't remember.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Janet is god

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

Mostly because it was bad and the characters were supposed to be 10 years older but all still acted like teenagers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I'm 50/50 on it being her or Mindy.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Gaz-L posted:

I'm 50/50 on it being her or Mindy.

No, God is played by Michael Schur. He is the creator of the good place. It says so right on the title card.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

It kinda irks me when Michael talks about his "boss" and you think he means God but it's apparently Sean who is more of a third party than a boss.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Tahani was in the good person class in one iteration and I'm wondering how she figured out that she wasn't good in that time.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
[quote="“drunken officeparty”" post="“477166238”"]
It kinda irks me when Michael talks about his “boss” and you think he means God but it’s apparently Sean who is more of a third party than a boss.
[/quote]

He's middle management. I don't call my CEO my boss.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

raditts posted:

Mostly because it was bad and the characters were supposed to be 10 years older but all still acted like teenagers

So like real adults then :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

It kinda irks me when Michael talks about his "boss" and you think he means God but it's apparently Sean who is more of a third party than a boss.

Sean is his boss. He's the guy in charge of the bad place architects who has approval over Michael's project. What other definition of boss do you need.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Regy Rusty posted:

Sean is his boss. He's the guy in charge of the bad place architects who has approval over Michael's project. What other definition of boss do you need.

Why would God be his boss regardless, when Michael is working for what would classically be thought of as hell? The Devil would be his boss in that case, not God. It's not like the Devil works for God, overseeing a division of creation for him or something. Hell is Satan's creation, after his rebellion. Not something he takes care of for God.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

tsob posted:

Why would God be his boss regardless, when Michael is working for what would classically be thought of as hell? The Devil would be his boss in that case, not God. It's not like the Devil works for God, overseeing a division of creation for him or something. Hell is Satan's creation, after his rebellion. Not something he takes care of for God.

Well now let's not make assumptions. Christianity only got a little bit right.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

tsob posted:

Not gonna get into a theological derail here, but in a lot of traditions and belief systems that is exactly what Lucifer is and does.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

Well now let's not make assumptions. Christianity only got a little bit right.

Yeah, you have to do a bunch of mushrooms to really figure out the Good/Bad Places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

hangedman1984 posted:

Not gonna get into a theological derail here, but in a lot of traditions and belief systems that is exactly what Lucifer is and does.

You're right, though I'd say "lot" is perhaps over-stating things, since it's mostly Judaism that views Lucifer in that manner while Catholicism views him as a rebellious angel. I suppose both myself and "Drunken Officeparty" were letting our cultural bias inform our arguments without considering other possibilities. Michael could be working in a system derived from Judaism, where any Lucifer figure ultimately works for God; but he could be working for a Catholic one where Lucifer himself is ultimately his boss. Or it could be that his ultimate boss is based on another religion or religious figure entirely. It could be some other after lives, where the idea of Heaven and the afterlife is more based on the beauracracy of the cosmopolitan rulers or whatever. Like Dragon Ball's after life basically, which I think is based on Buddhist theology, but don't know enough about to say for definite.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 8, 2017

• Locked thread