Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toadinthehole
Jul 4, 2004

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I'm looking forward to the wacky adventures of the bellhop and the surfer.

I'm here for this bromance. Am I too late for Pony: Ryan, Poison: Joe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Why is the Financial Analyst on the Heroes team? Did they just make up the gimmick after casting was done for this season?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They used the working mom angle, but I think they pretty much always make up the gimmick after casting the season. They didn't like SJDS and they blamed it on trying to cast to fit the blood vs. water theme, and said in the future they'd focus on casting first and theme second. So I don't know for sure but I assume if they were coming up with a theme from a completely blank slate, they would have never landed on something with "Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers."

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Why is the Financial Analyst on the Heroes team? Did they just make up the gimmick after casting was done for this season?

They usually do that, yeah.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

God that's annoying

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I'd never have gone with the "Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers" theme simply because it's so strained and ham-fisted that it just reeks of "we're out of ideas."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd never have gone with the "Heroes vs. Healers vs. Hustlers" theme simply because it's so strained and ham-fisted that it just reeks of "we're out of ideas."

Nah, it's just a gimmick for ads. The initial tribe split could be an RNG and it literally wouldn't matter.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, Survivor HHH I AM THE GAME YOU DON'T WANNA PLAY ME was totally CBS, not production. Jeff expressed mild frustration with crafting the theme in pre-game interviewing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm not connecting with anyone so far so I don't know their names.

I did kind of connect with Simone and it seemed like she kind of just got scapegoated. If she was being weird in any kind of notably way then the editors did a poo poo job of showing it. All they showed was a girl who was kind of socially awkward because she was way out of her element, but was making a clear effort to try and adjust. Maybe there were days of her being a diva or freak but the show didn't give us any of that and instead just showed a pretty sympathetic take.

Her very pretty diversity advocate cast mate who's name I do not know seems to have one of the better game heads going and her immediately recognizing that Simone was just in need of a friend and reaching out to make her ally was smart. It was also smart for her to not push it and cause trouble when the Bellhop didn't go for it. I suspect Bellhop's apprehension was more than a little about not letting Diversity Advocate getting any power or footing since Patrick appears to be a moron just going with the guy's alliance. But I'm not that worried for Diversity Advocate since there will be a tribe swap that upsets Bellhop's power base and DA seems to have a good social game and head on her shoulders to adjust. Bellhop seems like he might be a player but I get the usual overgaming bot vibes off him. But everyone knows I'm biased against that type cast.

Chrissy and Ben seem like the other people showing themselves to have game potential. I think Chrissy's probably too pushy and insincere to really go far, or if she does to have the Jury votes to win, but Ben's got that JT good ole' boy charm thing that combined with physical fitness and some kind of game smarts could make him dangerous. It could also make him a target around merge time.

I can't tell the two showmances apart. I literally can't tell them apart. I know one is on the Hero Tribe and one is on the... gently caress... what the gently caress tribe is Joe on? Healers? I'm really not connecting with this season and cast at all. I'm just calling them Hero Ken and Barbie and Healer Ken and Barbie in my head right now.

I can totally see the argument why Healer Ken did the right thing telling Joe what the clue meant and letting him have the idol. Joe's a paranoid idiot and doing anything to make him gun for you this early is probably trouble you don't need. And meanwhile now you can just go and expose Joe and if you play your cards right that nutbag should be the first boot from the tribe.

But I'm not convinced Healer Ken thought any of that out. It really looked to me like he just spoke without thinking. But who knows?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Simone was the Diversity Advocate, I didn't read the rest of that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, I think STAC meant Frizzy Hair, the celebrity assistant. I agree; that girl is good at this.

And Healer Ken is Cole. I think I only remember that because Corinne came, like, five times when she was on Rob C's podcast talking about him (I was really bored, okay?).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, a look at the OP (which was apparently too hard for me to do the first time) says its Ali I'm talking about, who apparently isn't the Diversity Advocate. Apparently I'm not only bad with names, but also occupations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, a look at the OP (which was apparently too hard for me to do the first time) says its Ali I'm talking about, who apparently isn't the Diversity Advocate. Apparently I'm not only bad with names, but also occupations.

And at posting

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Simone didn't gel with the tribe well but on top of that admittedly couldn't contribute to challenges. Patrick was enough of a goober I do think there may have been some real debate before she went home.

The interesting thing will be if they lose again if they still keep Patrick over Lauren. I think perhaps he's used up his extra life and they'll cut bait next time if he's still being a dodo.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.
Regarding Simone getting scapegoated, I think this happens a lot with early boots because a lot of contestants treat it as a necessary way to protect themselves. At this point there hasn't been much time to prove oneself so any mistake is fair game for the team to jump on as a reason to vote the person out instead of themselves. It can be annoying sometimes (I think Kaoh Rong was like this, guy accidentally lost his water goggles?). As for Simone, I think she had a pretty weak start and the vote made sense, but who knows how she would have done later.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, a look at the OP (which was apparently too hard for me to do the first time) says its Ali I'm talking about, who apparently isn't the Diversity Advocate.

It usually takes me until at least halfway through the season before I no longer have to click back and forth between the OP and current page.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it probably hurts me in that regard that I really don't pay attention to any of the pre-show hype stuff or read the interviews going in. I basically read the OP once and start the premiere episode. So I learn on the fly. I think the 1 hour premiere probably set me back a little since there was less time to get to know them but I still would have sucked with names for a few weeks. I always do.

Yeah, I wasn't saying Simone was "unfairly" voted out or anything. Just that I don't think she really did anything THAT bad to get evicted. But as you said, that's how the early boots often go. It just takes some social mistake or a slow start or a bad performance and you become an easy first out. I mainly just brought it up because the edit of her played differently to me than the "she's weird" comments from the guys. And I suspect it might have factored into Bellhop's decision which would mean he's thinking game on a good level this early. If I'm right and he choose to keep Patrick over Simone because Allie was better with Simone than he was and he was better with Patrick than Ali was then that's a very good move on his part.

Lone Goat posted:

And at posting
Thanks for enjoying!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Dude, she was cute yet useless at camp, and bad at challenges. Waffleface was merely annoying, in particular with Water Sue Hawk.

Waffleface good for challenge? Ali likes him a lot? Well, there we have it.

It's not scapegoating. It's not even difficult.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Fedelm posted:

It usually takes me until at least halfway through the season before I no longer have to click back and forth between the OP and current page.

Yea, this is certainly the big area that Australian Survivor actually seems to nail. They frequently have the nearly 2 hour long episodes and you end up getting confessionals with just about every player every episode, even at the start when they have 24 people.

I would like to see them try to do a US Vs. Australia Survivor season after Australia gets a bigger pool of castaways. Although I feel like the Australians might have the advantage with the 55 day island time. Jeff would lose his poo poo if someone like Locke was on the US Survivor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Somebody itt gave me a nice link for the Aus episodes, but I haven't watched yet. How is the pacing? Last year it really dragged; did they sort it out?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Propaganda Machine posted:

Somebody itt gave me a nice link for the Aus episodes, but I haven't watched yet. How is the pacing? Last year it really dragged; did they sort it out?

It's a lot slower than US Survivor, does maybe kind of drag toward the end. But it's mostly from it being 24 episodes for the season and the episodes are longer for the same basic content, they usually run between 50-115 minutes (without commercials?)

There is simply a lot more coverage on the strategy / talking / surviving side of the game than what we get with US Survivor.

They also still do the Survivor auction and this season had a fun little food twist where some random Survivor got to pick between a comfort item for the tribe or a giant rear end jar of Cookies for themselves / or to share with a couple people... Like there had to be 100s of cookies in that jar.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This season of Australian Survivor has been really great, but I think some fans are going too far by saying that it's a Top 5 Survivor season (U.S. and Australian combined). The pre-merge still had too many very bad production decisions with respect to twists, and at least one of those twists affected the gameplay post-merge in a really annoying way (I'm referring to Ziggy's anti-idol).

I also think that some of the editing choices have made the show's narrative very confusing. Recently, I'm referring to Final 6 being a 3-3 split out of nowhere, including Michelle and Jericho suddenly being close allies after Michelle had declared war on Sarah/Luke/Jericho just a few days earlier. It's also frustrating that Peter has been so invisible despite going so deep. These annoyances might be more understandable in a U.S. season with 14 ~44-minute episodes, but with 26 ~50-110 minute episodes it's a bit more frustrating.

But still, it's a very good season featuring some exciting gameplay and a very well-rounded cast, and I would recommend it to anyone interested in a giant ~26 episode Survivor season.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, it probably hurts me in that regard that I really don't pay attention to any of the pre-show hype stuff or read the interviews going in.

Same. I hardly read any Survivor pre-show content or anything beyond the episodes themselves. I did read some basic stuff about the cast today and I found it amusing that Mike's answer to "Survivor Contestant You Are Most Like" was "Boston Rob — because he was smart and socially strategic."

I would not have expected Mike to see himself as a Boston Rob, but I guess the season still needs to reveal its mysteries and splendor.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm legitimately worried about what Ryan is going to look like if he makes it to day 39. Like he might just straight-up vanish or something.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Probably closer to looking as though he chose poorly at the end of "Last Crusade."

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
He already kind of looks like an alien, so he'll probably just look like a smaller alien by the time he's done with the season.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Simone came across as pretty obnoxious in some of the pre-game stuff I've listened to, like, explicitly saying "it's not my fault I'm so attractive!" at a few points. It's possible some of that subtly came across at camp in the short time they had.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
JP comes across as such a nonentity in all the preshow stuff. He never seems to have any emotions and fully half of what comes out of his mouth is meaningless verbal patter. There may or may not be something going on behind his eyes, but there's definitely not much coming out of him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

JP seems like pretty lovely casting. Guy can barely even verbalize thoughts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

obliriovrons posted:

Simone came across as pretty obnoxious in some of the pre-game stuff I've listened to, like, explicitly saying "it's not my fault I'm so attractive!" at a few points. It's possible some of that subtly came across at camp in the short time they had.

It definitely could have been there since even Ali called her a diva. But the show edit for whatever reason decided to show us everyone calling her a weirdo and a diva and then not only not show us her doing anything weird or divaish but actually showed her in a pretty sympathetic light. Which seems like an odd editorial choice since you could have told the same "Simone vs Patrick" story even if she was as obnoxious as Patrick. Maybe even told it better.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

STAC Goat posted:

But the show edit for whatever reason decided to show us everyone calling her a weirdo and a diva and then not only not show us her doing anything weird or divaish but actually showed her in a pretty sympathetic light.

It showed a clip of her basically complaining about the lack of air conditioning on the island.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AWarmBody posted:

It showed a clip of her basically complaining about the lack of air conditioning on the island.

I admit I missed that but the focus of her whole narrative was that she was uncomfortable but trying to adapt with gutting the fish and saying this whole thing was a personal challenge because she's so uncomfortable with any of the nature stuff. That's basically the opening introduction for such Survivor favorites as Cirie and Cochran. Obviously there's more to both of them than that but it plays sympathetic for me at least. And they even gave Ali confessionals to say essentially "she's a bit of a diva but she's not that bad" and then she gives a whole "I'm pushing myself every day" speech at Tribal that Jeff eats up.

It was just weird editing to me, is all. I don't especially doubt that she could well have rubbed her tribemates the wrong way with everything leading up to the fish gutting that we just never saw.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Simone's voice couldn't have helped. She was so nasal! And also so self-congratulatory about doing basic survival things, and telling everyone all the time what a useless city girl she was. I mean, if you're a city person on the show, you don't do that and expect to make merge. You suck it up and learn, and don't effing celebrate an aquadump.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
JP is the emotionless robot Spencer would have been envious of.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Spatula City posted:

Simone's voice couldn't have helped. She was so nasal! And also so self-congratulatory about doing basic survival things, and telling everyone all the time what a useless city girl she was. I mean, if you're a city person on the show, you don't do that and expect to make merge. You suck it up and learn, and don't effing celebrate an aquadump.

Ah, yes, the aquadump...

If I had never been outdoors in my life but were cast on Survivor, you better believe that I would spending all my spare time in the outdoors, camping on weekends, practicing making fire, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Simone said that she had never been camping even. The lack of preparedness does not impress me when she knew the situation was coming. I would more impressed by someone saying "I hadn't even gone camping until I knew I would be on the show/auditioned for the show" than someone who's already on the island almost boasting about how they've never even been camping.

Cochran had swollen skin constantly and touched through it. Cirie was a couch potato but worked her social game to minimize impact. Simone was just like her poo, floating lifeless in the ocean water.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I think the Simone vote was pretty simple. Patrick is an asset in challenges and has connections to both Ryan and Ali. The editors were playing up the unpredictability narrative but he seems like he'd be a loyal foot soldier as long as you can put up with his weirdness. Simone was a liability in challenges and unable to connect with her tribe until Ali made the first move. Her intelligence also probably made her a threat. Its not rocket science she ended up out first on the tribe.

Liking Ali and the Ryan-Devon bromance quite a bit so far. Chrissy and Ben are okay. If Alan can tone down the paranoia he might be somewhat interesting to watch. Who fuckin knows with the healer tribe. Desi seems likable from what very little screen time they've had.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's all I was saying. I didn't get the sense that Simone's personality flaws - whatever they may be - were really the factor that the narrative presented them as. It seems more logical that Ryan just saw keeping her as a threat to him since it gave Ali more power and control while keeping Patrick gives him more power and control and isolates Ali's game. It plays like a good chess move by Ryan against another chess player in Ali... so I don't get why it was presented as "pariah vs pariah" when the prior is a more interesting story.

But I could easily be putting more strategy on Ryan than he actually possesses and it really was down to unseen days of Simone being useless and rubbing the guys the wrong way.

Also as a "city person" who agrees you should go do some training and camping to prepare for this, or something, I personally sympathize with the idea that pooping in the ocean sounds utterly terrifying and gross to me for some reason.

edit: Just to be totally clear, I'm completely conceding this argument. It seems obvious there's SOMETHING about Simone that rubs a lot of people the wrong way, both in that tribe and in this thread. I'm not picking up on it for whatever reason. Maybe that's because I'm a New Yorker so I'm either super used to it or possess it myself? Either way I very much appear to be in the minority in this matter and thus would seem to be wrong.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 11, 2017

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

"Most relatable female"

Yikes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

over under on posts during today's episode has been set at 31

bets open now

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

over under on posts during today's episode has been set at 31

bets open now

over is pretty easy to spoil. what's the prize? Immunity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"So we're going to combat Alan's claims that were a power couple by becoming a power couple." - Ashley.

How many times has a power couple been a thing, much less a successful thing, aside from Rob and Amber?

• Locked thread