Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Another incredibly minor modification accomplished. I installed this shark fin antenna to replace the black stubby factory antenna.

Also, drat I loving love this color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Mental Hospitality posted:

Another incredibly minor modification accomplished. I installed this shark fin antenna to replace the black stubby factory antenna.

yeah thats nice.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Mental Hospitality posted:

Yeah, these blues really do a good job of showing the curves off.

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 6, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mom's Avalon again.

New to me window regulator + motor showed up. As I expected, I had to cut the cable on the old regulator to drop the window down a bit - only way I could get to the bolts that attach the window to the regulator. On that car, the window is attached by only 2 bolts, but without an angled 10mm wrench there was no way to get to the bolts without lowering the window (I had a socket set, but no wrenches handy).

Pretty easy swap aside from cutting the cable. New motor is a bit noisy and a little sluggish, but works. It's off of a 2000, so that's kinda expected.

Old regulator + motor: the regulator had the cable twisted up pretty badly in the spool. Motor wound up being fine, but I don't have the bits to remove it from the old regulator (some kind of 5 or 6 point screw, but not an allen head). So gently caress it, the noisy one stays. It has a 3 month warranty, and it's pretty easy to swap if you swap them as a unit.

Interior door handle fell apart when I removed the door panel though :argh: - just brittle from age I guess. I superglued it back together for now, but ordered a new one from Amazon (along with the bezel, which I managed to crack the first time I had the door open). At least the door panel comes off really easy on this car.

This is one of those things I would like to see in production rate. Replacing a window regulator is quite unpleasant.

BlackMK4 posted:

yeah, i'm hosed.

Welcome to the over 40 crowd.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
poo poo, I just turned 30 :smith:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

BlackMK4 posted:

My condolences. After 25 it is all downhill.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'm 25 now. Any tips?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Don't get any older.
(BTW, you start dying @ 37)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

BlackMK4 posted:

:smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm two years into my thirties and it's allllll comin together :neckbeard:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah my life definitely is improved now at 33, vs in my 20's. I had fun or whatever, but my wife and I are a good pair (when we're not fussing over something usually ridiculous, in retrospect).

It's challenging having young kids, and trying to give them opportunity for extracurriculars, while also trying to do some stuff for we the parents too. We're getting better at scheduling and planning though. Wife gets to do whatever horse-related bs she desires, and lately I've actually been getting my shop together. :feelsgood:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Colostomy Bag posted:

This is one of those things I would like to see in production rate. Replacing a window regulator is quite unpleasant.

This was by far the easiest one I've replaced... so long as you can get the window open somehow. The cables cut easily with wire cutters though.

BlackMK4 posted:

GET OFF MY LAWN :corsair:

(39 here..)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I like my 30s better than my 20s by a long shot.

Anyway I got a CV axle for the Gorester since it ate a boot and gently caress CV boots. I also picked up an oil filter and an air filter for the Outback.

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Awww, the poor truck is tired. :3:

Oh no! Your insides are showing! :ohdear:

So that's the problem. gently caress you heater core.

That's better.

And you're all back together.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Out $173.84 for two trim pieces that I cracked on both doors on my Acty because I am a giant idiot. On the plus side at least the trim parts are available still even if I have to order them from Japan.

Also got the oil pan changed on my wife's Tracker. Tired of keeping the cardboard around to catch oil drips as they ooze out after sitting overnight. The oil pan looked fine but whoever worked on it before tweaked the gently caress out of the bolts, bending the pan in the points between allowing oil to seep. The manual neglected to mention there was another bolt holding the oil screen tube on the underside of the engine and that isn't easy to get to if you aren't using a lift :argh:
Oil leaks are stopped now it's decided to hesitate under load again, before it was a clogged fuel filter and I assume this is the same thing. That means the tank is cruddy and boy oh boy do I not want to go down that road, maybe I can just replace fuel filter every 6 months :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Out $173.84 for two trim pieces that I cracked on both doors on my Acty because I am a giant idiot. On the plus side at least the trim parts are available still even if I have to order them from Japan.

Also got the oil pan changed on my wife's Tracker. Tired of keeping the cardboard around to catch oil drips as they ooze out after sitting overnight. The oil pan looked fine but whoever worked on it before tweaked the gently caress out of the bolts, bending the pan in the points between allowing oil to seep. The manual neglected to mention there was another bolt holding the oil screen tube on the underside of the engine and that isn't easy to get to if you aren't using a lift :argh:
Oil leaks are stopped now it's decided to hesitate under load again, before it was a clogged fuel filter and I assume this is the same thing. That means the tank is cruddy and boy oh boy do I not want to go down that road, maybe I can just replace fuel filter every 6 months :v:

It has no rust or corrosion on it, dropping the tank can't be that bad can it? Unless there's a subframe in the way or something.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Larrymer posted:

It has no rust or corrosion on it, dropping the tank can't be that bad can it? Unless there's a subframe in the way or something.

Yeah it's clean and no, no subframe in the way. I just don't wanna :negative:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KakerMix posted:

Yeah it's clean and no, no subframe in the way. I just don't wanna :negative:

I get that feeling, I just halfway installed one of the tanks on my pickup today and gave up because it's late, it's difficult getting the hoses on (especially the 1 3/4" filler hose with wire that is not preformed), and I was getting frustrated.

I also spent a lot of time making studs and little brackets to flip the air cleaner from a 1993 Roadmaster backwards so it fits on the 72' IH, but realized after making nearly everything that the TBI to Carb adapter is threaded in 5/16x18 instead of the 8mmx1.25 bolts that came with the throttle body from the junkyard. Which means I've been jumping through hoops getting the right metric parts on multiple Ace Hardware bin excursions. Then when I finally got the right stuff, one of the 5/16 couplers ended up being a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. It looks the same from the outside, just the wrong part was mixed in the bins. I was able to set the air box on anyway.. and it interferes with the throttle cable mount by a tiny bit.

For a moment I looked at installing this new gas pedal I scrounged from a GMC Van, but the flooring isn't sitting right *at all* in that area. I get the feeling the molded flooring wasn't molded for a tall enough hump in the middle, because it's too short on both sides.

So I got nothing done.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Fully stripped and rebuilt the handbrake on one side of the landcruiser after it decided to lock itself on last night. Downside of turbo diesel torque is you don't notice a dragging handbrake until it practically catches fire...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yet again, mother's car. Interior door handle and trim.

Ordered both in "fawn", which is the interior color according to the VIN, and other parts I've ordered in that color have been a match. I can understand the trim being a little bit off; it's a 15 year old car (going by build date, 14 going by model year) and poo poo's faded, and I'm using non-OEM parts (that's a Dorman trim piece). But the lock on the new handle isn't anywhere close. :argh: (the packaging it came in claimed it was the correct color). I don't want to deal with junkyard parts for this - it's all plastic, and any used parts will be just as brittle as the poo poo that broke when I looked at it funny. The OEM prices are :laffo: when you can actually find them in stock.

I guess upside is both of them together were $25 shipped. She swears it doesn't bother her, but it's triggering me big time (and will continue to drive me nuts every time I'm in the car)... so I'll probably swap that door handle to the rear next time I'm over there (same part number for front and rear).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 9, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

zharmad posted:

Awww, the poor truck is tired. :3:

And you're all back together.

Out of sick curiosity, how long did that take?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Either I'm blind or the camera isn't doing it justice because I'm not seeing the issue here. Unless you mean that entire padded piece?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Either I'm blind or the camera isn't doing it justice because I'm not seeing the issue here. Unless you mean that entire padded piece?

I thought it was just me. Imma need an mspaint illustration.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The tan on the part with the red indicator (the lock button) doesn't match the tan around it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean.... yeah maybe a little? But at least to my eyes on this monitor that looks more than close enough to give no fucks.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Shaking my head sadly, I tick the "lock button tan matches door panel tan" box as "NO" on my clipboard, here at the judging booth of the Avalon Class of the Pebble Beach Concours 2017

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Out of sick curiosity, how long did that take?

6 hours Friday to get the dash apart, 8 hours Saturday replacing the heater core and all the associated hoses under the hood as well as doing a coolant flush. This is the second one I've done on this style vehicle (first was a '98 F150) so I went into it knowing a lot more about what I needed to do which cut down the time required massively. The only difference was removing the center console.

I can't complain too much, I bought the vehicle for $500 in June knowing full well that the thing had a heater core leak, but for that cheap and only 110k miles I thought it would be worth my time to fix. The P.O. thought it was just a simple coolant leak under the hood, but the whole car smelled like antifreeze and had a greasy residue on the windshield. I chose to bypass both heater cores entirely since the AC worked fine and you definitely don't need heat in Texas in the summer. I had planned to replace it labor day weekend but I ended up having to go into work for hurricane Harvey, so this was my first opportunity to do it.

At least the only things left on the list to do are brakes and (if I feel like it) replacing the spring in the dash cup holder so it pops out properly.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

A story in terrible snaps. I posted about doing the shocks.

And at that time noticed the bump stops we're not optimal.

Ride quality is...improved.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bilsteins will do that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

Bilsteins will do that.

Any shock would do that! Those babies were toast. I watched a Buick today bouncing down I-25 with clearly blown shocks, I bet they were getting seasick in there.

My work was detective in nature. I compared pictures from Automotive Custom Carpet's website for their carpet for my pickup, and it looks like there's a depression in the tranny hump (:bigtran:) in the carpet they offer, which the trucks do have in 1974 but not in 1972.

So I ordered a rubber piece that I'll overlay and I'm cutting this bitch.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fifty Three posted:

The tan on the part with the red indicator (the lock button) doesn't match the tan around it.

That.

I guess I'm just pickier than most people about that kinda stuff.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
In the interest of keeping my AW11 stock AF, I put a new reproduction shift boot and elbow pad on after I took out the center console and cleaned it thoroughly.

Bonus golden hour shot of the thing (with a stupid shadow).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Bought some nice birch plywood for the flatbed, dad gave me a big ol' 2x6 for the supports, next is figuring out how the heck I'm gonna get it to latch shut :thunk:

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

In the interest of keeping my AW11 stock AF, I put a new reproduction shift boot and elbow pad on after I took out the center console and cleaned it thoroughly.

Bonus golden hour shot of the thing (with a stupid shadow).

Please keep posting about your MR2, it is very pretty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

zharmad posted:

6 hours Friday to get the dash apart, 8 hours Saturday replacing the heater core and all the associated hoses under the hood as well as doing a coolant flush. This is the second one I've done on this style vehicle (first was a '98 F150) so I went into it knowing a lot more about what I needed to do which cut down the time required massively. The only difference was removing the center console.

I can't complain too much, I bought the vehicle for $500 in June knowing full well that the thing had a heater core leak, but for that cheap and only 110k miles I thought it would be worth my time to fix. The P.O. thought it was just a simple coolant leak under the hood, but the whole car smelled like antifreeze and had a greasy residue on the windshield. I chose to bypass both heater cores entirely since the AC worked fine and you definitely don't need heat in Texas in the summer. I had planned to replace it labor day weekend but I ended up having to go into work for hurricane Harvey, so this was my first opportunity to do it.

At least the only things left on the list to do are brakes and (if I feel like it) replacing the spring in the dash cup holder so it pops out properly.

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. $500 and a days labor for that truck would be worth it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Ether Frenzy posted:

Shaking my head sadly, I tick the "lock button tan matches door panel tan" box as "NO" on my clipboard, here at the judging booth of the Avalon Class of the Pebble Beach Concours 2017

Yeah, after placing my monocle on it clearly is a demerit of the worse kind.

zharmad posted:

Thanks, had to ask just because I have a 98 expy which I hope I never have to do. Looks like you don't need to saw the evap housing on these?

edit: Another question, since mine isn't a f150 so it might be different, did you tackle the quick-lock lower rad hose thing?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

StormDrain posted:

I get that feeling, I just halfway installed one of the tanks on my pickup today and gave up because it's late, it's difficult getting the hoses on (especially the 1 3/4" filler hose with wire that is not preformed), and I was getting frustrated.

I also spent a lot of time making studs and little brackets to flip the air cleaner from a 1993 Roadmaster backwards so it fits on the 72' IH, but realized after making nearly everything that the TBI to Carb adapter is threaded in 5/16x18 instead of the 8mmx1.25 bolts that came with the throttle body from the junkyard. Which means I've been jumping through hoops getting the right metric parts on multiple Ace Hardware bin excursions. Then when I finally got the right stuff, one of the 5/16 couplers ended up being a 3/8" to 1/4" adapter. It looks the same from the outside, just the wrong part was mixed in the bins. I was able to set the air box on anyway.. and it interferes with the throttle cable mount by a tiny bit.

For a moment I looked at installing this new gas pedal I scrounged from a GMC Van, but the flooring isn't sitting right *at all* in that area. I get the feeling the molded flooring wasn't molded for a tall enough hump in the middle, because it's too short on both sides.

So I got nothing done.

Normally though I'll lock on whatever I'm doing and beat myself up to finish it. If I start something, leave, then try to come back to it I'm usually worse off than if I had just waited to start it. Vehicle work, video games, organizing the shed, whatever. Plus side to something like this Tracker is it is right in the perfect place of simple but well-engineered that everyone loves from the 80s-90s.

Tracker stuttering under acceleration again already not 2 days after I replaced the filter. New fuel tank and fuel pump + all the fixins' on the way :negative: :negative:

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thanks, had to ask just because I have a 98 expy which I hope I never have to do. Looks like you don't need to saw the evap housing on these?

edit: Another question, since mine isn't a f150 so it might be different, did you tackle the quick-lock lower rad hose thing?

This was an 01 Expedition, the air box which contains both the heater core and evaporator is held together with 7mm screws. The toughest part is just getting the passenger side of the dash far enough out for access.

For both the front core quicklocks and the rear I used this: http://a.co/8reSZHW. Since they were old and never before removed they still took a lot of force to get off. Enough to make me nervous, especially on the lower ones where the solid metal pipe isn't the most stable.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Moved the needle tonight! Airbox clearanced, needs longer bolts but ready otherwise. Trimmed the flooring and got the gas pedal installed. Installed a gasket for the parking brake cable, mounted the fuel tank although I broke a plastic vent line. I even found the brake light switch and installed it.

I nearly put the bench seat back in but it’s so easy I saved it as a reward to myself for completing the harder stuff, namely the PITA tank.

If I do these top 5 items it can come out of the garage!

Remaining:
Replace busted vent line
Finish airbox mount
Install hood (getting help Friday)
Bench seat
Loosen steering box that I overtightened
Put some gas in it
Like 30 other 5 minute things

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I thought I had my ute almost ready for paint. Did some filler after banging out dent.
Almost done

I thought the tail light goes up to that corner and will cover any sins. Let's look at the left side

poo poo.
Got to smooth out that this section where I've been beating on the stretched and creased metal with a pointed hammer and also a blunt chisel.

So there's more filling to do :(

Also found out the battery is dead dead. I think I got 100kms out of it. I've been charging it for the past 2 years every month, but because I have the doors ajar due to paint and stuff, I think the interior light keeps coming on. I can't see when that happens as all the windows are papered up. The light only has a soft off button, no hard switch the fucker off for good. So I think every time the door is touched it keeps coming on without me noticing.

I should have disconnected the battery but I reverse it in and out of the garage all the time (sand outside, paint inside). I should have pulledd the light fuse but when I looked the fusebox is unlabelled, so I was meaning to do it after I found a diagram online but forgot to get back to it.

E: also drat ford au wants $200 for the tail light! And I thought the bumper damage was just like a corner bumperette or something, but it's all one piece so I need to find a whole bar and the tail light at a wreckers,
I only found 2 redback spiders in the bumper when removing it, and only one was huge and dangerous.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

zharmad posted:

This was an 01 Expedition, the air box which contains both the heater core and evaporator is held together with 7mm screws. The toughest part is just getting the passenger side of the dash far enough out for access.

For both the front core quicklocks and the rear I used this: http://a.co/8reSZHW. Since they were old and never before removed they still took a lot of force to get off. Enough to make me nervous, especially on the lower ones where the solid metal pipe isn't the most stable.

Thanks. I was actually wondering if you replaced the lower radiator hose with its goofball quicklock. I need to do it, it's original and the old gal needs a flush anyways.