Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Up until the height of election season in 2016 (maybe around August/September), I enjoyed Jimmy Fallon. The show was goofy, fun, and you could tell that he legitimately enjoyed talking to guests. The improv between him and Steve Higgins (his announcer/writer) was always my favorite part of the show. Also, the Roots are still the best band on Late Night.

I say "up until" because I can no longer enjoy The Tonight Show. It feels like it's a window into the alternate reality where Clinton won and Trump didn't even make it past the primaries. Fallon wants to stay pretty much completely out of politics and it feels pathetic and cowardly in an age now where we have a legitimate villain/Nazi in the White House. I feel like grabbing his face and screaming "DON'T YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW?!" any time I flip over to the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So he's the anti-Colbert. I wish John Baptiste and Stay Human would get shot into the sun, and he sucked UNTIL Trump won the election.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kind of like how Jon Stewart didn't find his footing until the Bush administration.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

IRQ posted:

So he's the anti-Colbert. I wish John Baptiste and Stay Human would get shot into the sun, and he sucked UNTIL Trump won the election.

I always find myself surprised when Jon adds in a comment or gets into banter with Stephen and it's entertaining.

It happens sometimes!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Kind of like how Jon Stewart didn't find his footing until the Bush administration.

... maybe?

When Jon took over the Daily Show, it was in a fairly different place than where he ended up taking it. They had changed hosts unceremoniously, and for a while, he was trying to do Craig Kilborn's show. That didn't really fit Jon's style. It reminds me of when Leno took over for Johnny Carson back in the day--until he made the show his own, it was objectively terrible. (Afterwards, it was only subjectively terrible.)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

IRQ posted:

Baptiste is so drat annoying during the monologue, I swear.

{Colbert says joke}
{Loud, hyena-like cackle from off-screen}
"Oh no he didn't!"

{Colbert says next joke}
"Ha haaaaaa, (repeats last few words of joke)!"

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

JazzFlight posted:

Baptiste is so drat annoying during the monologue, I swear.

{Colbert says joke}
{Loud, hyena-like cackle from off-screen}
"Oh no he didn't!"

{Colbert says next joke}
"Ha haaaaaa, (repeats last few words of joke)!"

Yeah, that.

He can actually take a deadpan approach to direct banter pretty well, but his interjections are just the worst.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Maybe I just have low standards for banter, but I'm a fan of "Collllld blooded!"
There were also one or two times last week where Batiste really seemed to lose it, which was fun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

DC Murderverse posted:

also, god bless Jimmy Fallon for being the most oblivious lameass clown and opening not with a monologue about bravery of first responders, reflections on the nature of late night talk shows and their ability to communicate after a tragedy, or pleas to take action, but (and i swear to god this is real because i pinched myself after watching it and it is not just my fever dream) Miley Cyrus singing a Dido song accompanied by Adam Sandler

Jesus Christ. Fallon films in Hollywood yeah? They must have literally stuck their head out the door of the studio grabbed the first two recognizable names they could see.

Nothing says touching tribute to the fallen like Adam Sandler and Miley Cyrus.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
My only problem with Batiste (and it's not really his fault) is when they cut up the monologue for time and mask it by showing him laughing or smiling. It's really distracting.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Batiste should get to do more, but also less. They just suck at planning and directing the show.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Jesus Christ. Fallon films in Hollywood yeah? They must have literally stuck their head out the door of the studio grabbed the first two recognizable names they could see.

Nothing says touching tribute to the fallen like Adam Sandler and Miley Cyrus.

Kimmel is hollywood. Fallon is decidedly NYC due to SNL and friends. They had already been hyping miley cyrus for all of this week due to her new single/album/ep/whatever, but i have no idea where sandler fits in

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Kimmel is hollywood. Fallon is decidedly NYC due to SNL and friends. They had already been hyping miley cyrus for all of this week due to her new single/album/ep/whatever, but i have no idea where sandler fits in

he's got a movie coming out, apparently it's an actual dramatic performance as opposed to... whatever it is Adam Sandler has been doing for the last 8 years

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Racist Netflix movies I believe.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Being the modern day Mel Brooks, if Mel Brooks had a terrible sense of humor and missed the entire point of the satire in Blazing Saddles' treatment of race.

Replace Gene Wilder with Rob Schneider and Dom Delouise with Kevin James.

I have no idea who watches his poo poo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pander posted:

I have no idea who watches his poo poo.

Well, it's not geniuses....

Pander posted:

Being the modern day Mel Brooks, if Mel Brooks had a terrible sense of humor and missed the entire point of the satire in Blazing Saddles' treatment of race.

Replace Gene Wilder with Rob Schneider and Dom Delouise with Kevin James.

ROB SCHNEIDER was a loser, a horrible actor with one funny bit on SNL years ago that they drove into the ground so far that people wondered why it was ever funny. But now, look out, audiences! Because now, Rob Schneider is... GENE WILDER!! (Audio clip: "I Feel Good" by James Brown starts playing.) Whoa! Look out, Holly-WEIRD! One of America's most prestigious and slightly dead actors is actually... ROB SCHNEIDER!

Rob Schnider is... Gene Wild-errr?

Coming soon, on yo' mama's face.

(A Happy Madison joke for a Happy Madison production.)

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
What're y'all talking about?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Adam Sandler's nepotastic money tree

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Johnny Carson's house is for sale - some nice pics:

http://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/ca/malibu/6962-wildlife-rd/pid_20152627/

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You'd think the commission on an 81 million dollar property would get you a real estate agent that didn't write like Sarah Palin texting.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
7k ft2 of space and 4.5 bathrooms and yet only 2 bedrooms???

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

7k ft2 of space and 4.5 bathrooms and yet only 2 bedrooms???

That's a hell of a way to say you don't like visitors staying over.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

oh hey conan is gonna be on the late show this week?

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
This is probably one of my favorite moments from Colbert's show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L8cxD-lLXw

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Corden's battle rap skits are getting their own show, Drop The Mic, a la Lip Sync Battle. Could it be any clearer that he was basically just told to "be Jimmy Fallon?"

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I think it's entirely plausible that he's just that lame.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
IDK hes pretty good drunk with jack whitehall on the 2012 BFQotY - 'Lobstromonous'

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Steve Vader posted:

Corden's battle rap skits are getting their own show, Drop The Mic, a la Lip Sync Battle. Could it be any clearer that he was basically just told to "be Jimmy Fallon?"

this is extra funny being being Jimmy Fallon is really not helping Jimmy Fallon.

quote:

The current late-night “war” is certainly less vitriolic than the previous David Letterman vs. Jay Leno Battle Royale. Stephen Colbert and the Jimmys Fallon and Kimmel are all buddy-buddy, with significantly less mud-slinging. But that will never be the case with their respective television networks—the ratings battle will always live on, and it looks like Fallon is in a bit of trouble for the moment.

Fallon, with his Lip Sync Battles and game show sensibilities, enjoyed first place over Colbert and Kimmel for years. But after a tumultuous presidential election and some behind-the-scenes creative shake-ups, the Daily Show alum overtook Fallon in the ratings battle in 2017. And according to Vulture, even Fallon’s lead over Kimmel is shrinking. The viewership gap between The Tonight Show and Jimmy Kimmel Live! narrowed from about one million viewers last year to around 250,000 viewers just last week.

Kimmel, formerly of The Man Show and Win Ben Stein’s Money, has become a surprisingly liberal voice in Trump’s America, as the debate over healthcare became personal after his newborn son battled a rare heart condition. Since then, Kimmel has become heavily involved in the nationwide discussion, also delivering several widely watched monologues on the subject. As Vulture summarizes, Fallon’s ratings are 16 percent behind Colbert, and only the now-smaller margin of 10 percent over Kimmel.

Fallon’s hair tousling of then-candidate Donald Trump has become infamous, and is cited as a starting point for Fallon’s rating decline. NBC will still tout Fallon’s performance in a key demographic: the young ‘uns below the age of 50. But for “the nicest guy in show business” to bounce back up as the King of Late Night, Fallon will either have to wait for the public to get tired of anti-Trump humor, or maybe spend less time playing Pictionary with celebrities and find something to say.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I like that Trump is the anti-Hugh Grant for him.

However, once this long national nightmare is over and we don't have to monitor the president 24-7 to make sure we all don't die, Fallon's brand of whimsy will likely make a come back. It remains to be seen if NBC wants to play the long game.

Also, Dave was on Kimmel last night, responding to Conan telling Colbert about Dave's parting gift to Conan - an unexpected horse.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Steve Vader posted:

However, once this long national nightmare is over and we don't have to monitor the president 24-7 to make sure we all don't die, Fallon's brand of whimsy will likely make a come back. It remains to be seen if NBC wants to play the long game.

Agreed. The stakes of regular life have been raised beyond being able to appreciate somebody consciously trying to be irrelevant outside of the boundaries of his own show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Steve Vader posted:

I like that Trump is the anti-Hugh Grant for him.

Also, Dave was on Kimmel last night, responding to Conan telling Colbert about Dave's parting gift to Conan - an unexpected horse.

3-7(god forbid) years is a really really long time.

People are still gonna have a really really bad taste in their mouths and may not go back.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Dexo posted:

3-7(god forbid) years is a really really long time.

People are still gonna have a really really bad taste in their mouths and may not go back.

Especially if Trump figures out a way to pull their broadcast license - Go Anti-1st Amendment creeps!

But I think the minute this rear end in a top hat is out of office, there's going to be a celebratory HOT drat LET'S PLAY PATTY CAKE AGAIN moment... before the dread of President Pence sets in.

ltkerensky
Oct 27, 2010

Biggest lurker to ever lurk.

X-O posted:

I posted this in Couch Chat, but it's worth a post here too. Today we lost the teller of the greatest story ever told on late night talk. RIP Jay Thomas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfygCxkQZeY

I don't know anything about him, but I can confirm: that was very funny.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Jeff ross popped a boner while talking to bieber

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Jeff ross popped a boner while talking to bieber

You mean ol' boy's baby bits bopped up into a Bieber boner?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Steve Vader posted:

Especially if Trump figures out a way to pull their broadcast license - Go Anti-1st Amendment creeps!

This is essentially impossible and another case of Trump not knowing what the hell he's talking about. Networks like NBC don't have broadcast licenses. Individual affiliates / stations carry the licenses.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's also hilariously unconstitutional but we all know he doesn't give a gently caress about that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kind of like appealing to the "equal time" rule even though a) it doesn't apply outside of elections and b) it only applies to appearances by politicians, not what people can say about them. One can only hope his abject refusal to learn how any law works, beyond the name of said law, is enough to keep him from completely ruining everything.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
He knows perfectly well. His skill is exploiting people’s ignorance. I really don’t like the “whadda dummy! :haw:” approach that Fallon takes on him.

Timby posted:

This is essentially impossible and another case of Trump not knowing what the hell he's talking about. Networks like NBC don't have broadcast licenses. Individual affiliates / stations carry the licenses.
It’s not difficult to imagine a Pai FCC finding reasons to revoke a few large market station licenses, which would be a clear message with a chilling effect on every other affiliate in the NBC television network

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

pwn posted:

He knows perfectly well. His skill is exploiting people’s ignorance. I really don’t like the “whadda dummy! :haw:” approach that Fallon takes on him.
It’s not difficult to imagine a Pai FCC finding reasons to revoke a few large market station licenses, which would be a clear message with a chilling effect on every other affiliate in the NBC television network

Nah I have to agree with Nate Silver on this one. Trump isn't playing 12th dimensional chess, he's just a loving idiot.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-media-needs-to-stop-rationalizing-president-trumps-behavior/