Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Lutha Mahtin posted:

*rule does not apply to photographs

oho!

im gonna take a photo of a primary source and then cite that. check mate wikilords :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from The one with the whales)

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Meat Beat Agent posted:

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from The one with the whales)

wrong thread

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde
The Latin name Vivianus is recorded from the 1st century.[1] It is ultimately related to the adjective vivus "alive", but it is formed from the compound form vivi-[2] and the adjectival -ānus suffix used to form cognomina.

uhuhuhuhuh ānus

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my name is livebutt.com

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

prefect posted:

can't you see the sun set wherever you are?

arrr this one time in the arctic

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

fan wikis are cheating but this is something else :stare:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

loving hell

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

can we get a citation on the sexiness of that brown hyena

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

quote:

, with spring pinchers that grab the balls. This does not work well, especially if the balls are small.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

or maybe it actually did exist and the rest of us have been mandela effected

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

seriously part of me is like "that is an insane person expressing their mental illness in the saddest way possible" and another part is like "that is a brilliant piece of cultural fuckery and i kinda want to do one now"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Trig Discipline posted:

seriously part of me is like "that is an insane person expressing their mental illness in the saddest way possible" and another part is like "that is a brilliant piece of cultural fuckery and i kinda want to do one now"

been interested in that since reading Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius as a kid
also didn't know
DA’s Ready’N’Steady had been identified

both of which are worthwhile wikipedia things

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oh cool, i'd never heard of that

song itself is p meh tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yospos

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

It was created in the 1980s for health-conscious, athletic Australians, who are the world's third-biggest cereal eaters.[1]

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

OldAlias posted:

It was created in the 1980s for health-conscious, athletic Australians, who are the world's third-biggest cereal eaters.[1]

makes sense that australia would love cereal; it's a food for perverts, after all

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duTrieux. posted:

makes sense that australia would love cereal; it's a food for perverts, after all
carbs are literally poison

like, y'know, everything else in australia

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

OldAlias posted:

the world's biggest cereal-eater, of course, is your mom

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Other causes that may mimic the sensation of ice-cream headache include that produced when high speed drilling is performed through the inner table of the skull

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

Other causes that may mimic the sensation of ice-cream headache include that produced when high speed drilling is performed through the inner table of the skull

:gonk:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sagebrush posted:

I hate it when that happens

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iceberg/Freedom_of_Speech..._Just_Watch_What_You_Say!

"Black and Decker" starts off with Rhyme Syndicate members complaining about the media's portrayal of their work as meaningless violence. Ice wonders aloud what it would sound like if you drilled into someone's head with a powerdrill. After some gory sound effects, Ice says "Probably sound like that."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

it’s a reverse of getting arm pains when you have a heart attack. the internal organs have so few pain receptors that they overlap with areas that have a lot more

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i have this one:

In a small portion of individuals, the auricular nerve is the afferent limb of the Ear-Cough or Arnold Reflex.[2] Physical stimulation of the external acoustic meatus innervated by the auricular nerve elicits a cough, much like the other cough reflexes associated with the vagus nerve. Rarely, on introduction of speculum in the external ear, patients have experienced syncope due to the stimulation of the auricular branch of the vagus nerve.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

what is the worthless part of that one? not familiar with the specifics here

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

What happens in vagus stays in parasympathetic control of the heart, lungs, and digestive tract
:haw:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

naise

im the meatus btw

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Goi%C3%A2nia_accident&type=revision&diff=644689487&oldid=633546412

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what is the worthless part of that one? not familiar with the specifics here

not worthless i guess, just re: weird nerve interactions

but also pretty wild that some people pass out if you poke them in the ear (i just cough)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Appears to me unnecessarily and intentionally depreciative and offensive with the Brazilian-allusion to the banana republic nationality - placed at the mention of the "detail" that contributes nothing to the description of the accident except to - you disrespectful jokingly as ignorance of the workers and junk picker at the South American people made ​​the following reference: "Voudireinão da Silva, did not show up to work, using a sick day to attend the film screening of" Herbie Goes Bananas " with his family

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hackbunny posted:

Appears to me unnecessarily and intentionally depreciative and offensive with the Brazilian-allusion to the banana republic nationality - placed at the mention of the "detail" that contributes nothing to the description of the accident except to - you disrespectful jokingly as ignorance of the workers and junk picker at the South American people made ​​the following reference: "Voudireinão da Silva, did not show up to work, using a sick day to attend the film screening of" Herbie Goes Bananas " with his family

But Bananas aren't even in the top 20 Brazilian exports?

:confused:

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"Wooo!" is officially termed with four o's according to his autobiography, but can extend to any number of o's.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
from the entry on cryptoanarchism

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

unsurprisingly this section is about bitcoin and friends

also something called assassination market

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

RZApublican posted:

unsurprisingly this section is about bitcoin and friends

also something called assassination market

the guy who invented them is like, the sovest of cits:

quote:

In April 1995, Bell authored the first part of a 10-part essay called "Assassination Politics", which described an elaborate assassination market in which anonymous benefactors could securely order the killings of government officials or others who are violating citizens' rights. Following an investigation by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Bell was arrested and subsequently jailed for 11 months on felony charges of harassment and using false Social Security numbers.

After his April 2000 release, Bell publicly announced that he believed that there was extensive Federal Government corruption associated with his 1997–2000 criminal case, and that he was going to research the facts and file a lawsuit. Bell filed this lawsuit in 2003.[5] Bell was put under heavy surveillance and rearrested for harassment and stalking of federal agents. He was charged with intimidation and stalking and was convicted and again imprisoned, this time for a decade-long sentence. Bell protested vociferously against the conduct of the trial, going so far as to file civil lawsuits against two judges, at least two prosecutors, his former probation officers, and his defense attorneys, but ultimately to no avail.[5] He was released in December 2009, only to be rearrested in July 2010 for violating his parole conditions. Bell's parole violation hearing resulted in another sentence, and Bell was released on March 12, 2012

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLorean_time_machine

e. especially this part

quote:

Although rarely used, the "j" sound at the beginning of the SI prefix "giga-" is an acceptable pronunciation for "gigawatt."

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 14, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i like to think that marty was familiar w/ what a gigawatt is and was simply questioning the doc's pronunciation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Iodine pentafluoride is available as a "Special Gas" for flooding into the atmosphere of the escape shuttle in the terminal sequence of 1979 film Alien. It is just about credible that this is to function as some sort of decontaminating gas, but that is strained even by the justification standards of SF movies. Bizarrely, the Ripley character didn't use the IF5 to chase the alien out of hiding, but methylene chloride and nitrosyl chloride instead.