Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Reddit doesn't even like them that much. They have an /r/ which is company-run and has no 'controversial' option, which says a lot. You can still view controversial posts here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/controversial/?sort=controversial&t=all

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/comments/4pm2pd/appearance_of_dxracer_chair_after_using_it_for_25/

I've mentioned it a few times in this thread. They're a neat looking gimmick. Racecar seats aren't even designed to be comfortable - they're for safety, so you don't die in a horrible crash. That's less likely when you're playing Stardew Valley at your desk. Comfortable car-style seats would be like that from a Bentley. Bucket seats are awful to sit in compared to a properly designed office chair.

DXRACER gives the chairs out to streamers and youtube people for visibility, that's why they're so popular. They're seemingly made of bargain-basement materials. Just don't get one.

well why not fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Dx racers are actually kinda comfy, which is because they are as far from car seats as possible. They are a race styled pc chair and the epitome of gamer garbage

That dude a few pages ago who said everything you nerd to know is in their 2 year warranty vs ikeas 10 was right on the money. Ikea, the company known for cheap lovely furniture, expects a markus to last a decade. Race chairs companies give theirs 2

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
And let me tell you how unfun shipping a chair back to a manufacturer is...

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Does anyone know if herman miller is going to have one of their 15% off sales before the end of the year?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

dyne posted:

Does anyone know if herman miller is going to have one of their 15% off sales before the end of the year?

IIRC, Herman Miller has biannual sales in May and November.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Etrips posted:

IIRC, Herman Miller has biannual sales in May and November.

When I was peeking on Craigslist, I saw plenty of people selling (claimed) genuine lightly used Aerons for around $400... is that a good deal?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Zero VGS posted:

When I was peeking on Craigslist, I saw plenty of people selling (claimed) genuine lightly used Aerons for around $400... is that a good deal?

I just bought a used Aeron with some fairly superficial mesh damage for $200 on Craigslist, so my intuition tells me you could probably do better than that

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

So I was at Ikea recently and tried the Markus but wasn't a huge fan. Are the armrests something you get used to?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

skull mask mcgee posted:

So I was at Ikea recently and tried the Markus but wasn't a huge fan. Are the armrests something you get used to?

No. The armrests are by far the worst part of that chair.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Zero VGS posted:

If it's the new design, maybe? If it's the old design, no.

The Aeron brand is so old that saying there's a deal for an Aeron could mean anything. There's also a ton of old Aerons that've been fiddled with over the years and are out of warranty, and they were never really designed to be ergonomic in the first place. Overall I'd just stay away from them and stick to newer lines.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

skull mask mcgee posted:

Was it the leather one or a fabric one? The leather one has padded leather armrests and they seem bad. The fabric models have soft rubberized armrests and those don't seem too bad.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

The Milkman posted:

Was it the leather one or a fabric one? The leather one has padded leather armrests and they seem bad. The fabric models have soft rubberized armrests and those don't seem too bad.

I think it was the fabric one, but I can't quite remember. It was more the angle and lack of adjustability that killed it for me rather than the materials. I guess I'll just save a bit and find something nicer at some point.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Goons that have bought Craiglist chairs before, is there anything I should be concerned about? Eyeballing one of these:

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/fuo/d/herman-miller-aerons/6296501006.html

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Goons that have bought Craiglist chairs before, is there anything I should be concerned about? Eyeballing one of these:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/d/mwe-lab-emporor-gaming/6335879723.html

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Duck and Cover posted:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/ele/d/mwe-lab-emporor-gaming/6335879723.html

this is a much better idea than what I posted, thanks

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

couldcareless posted:

I just bought a used Aeron with some fairly superficial mesh damage for $200 on Craigslist, so my intuition tells me you could probably do better than that

Hmm yeah, guess you can always do better on Craigslist. I wound up finding a completely free fabric office chair, no idea what brand, but it is very broken in and comfy, easy to lean back which is how I typically sit, and I put on some of these Amazon wheels with brakes, which are fantastic: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Caster-Wheels-Polyurethane-Rollerblade/dp/B06WVM98CB/

I got them as Amazon open box for like $8. The first set I bought had no brakes and rolled so easily that the slight slant of my floor had me rolling away from the desk, but setting one brake fixes that now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

$350 seems a bit steep for a five year old Aeron, especially as they are probably being quite loose with the truth on the age.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Thanks Ants posted:

$350 seems a bit steep for a five year old Aeron, especially as they are probably being quite loose with the truth on the age.

I may be able to haggle him down. He said he has AE111 and AE113 in B and C sizes; I understand the sizing, but looking at this, I'm not sure what the difference in model numbers means:
https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/pricing/PB_AER_C.pdf

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

OpaqueEcho posted:

I may be able to haggle him down. He said he has AE111 and AE113 in B and C sizes; I understand the sizing, but looking at this, I'm not sure what the difference in model numbers means:
https://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam/hermanmiller/documents/pricing/PB_AER_C.pdf

The model numbers on Aerons are strings that dictate the features on the chair. What size is it, does it have fully adjustable arms, regular piston or draft chair piston, etc.

An AE111 is a chair with standard tilt and AE113 is a chair with tilt limiter and seat angle.

If they seller gave you the full string you could know everything about that chair down to the color by looking at the chart in that PDF.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Duck and Cover posted:

does this come with a copy of ready player one and a big bang theory box set?

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I have a Contessa Teknion at my desk at work and I can't for the life of me get comfortable in this chair despite any adjustment I make. Is it just not a good fit for me or is this chair really just garbage?

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The model numbers on Aerons are strings that dictate the features on the chair. What size is it, does it have fully adjustable arms, regular piston or draft chair piston, etc.

An AE111 is a chair with standard tilt and AE113 is a chair with tilt limiter and seat angle.

If they seller gave you the full string you could know everything about that chair down to the color by looking at the chart in that PDF.

They provided these:
AE123AWC
AE113NNBA
AE113HWB
AE113HWB

I can't find mention of the AE123 anywhere; any idea if that's a new model? I'm 6'00" and around 180 lbs., which puts me in both the B and C sizes. Are there any considerations for choosing one over the other?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

OpaqueEcho posted:

They provided these:
AE123AWC
AE113NNBA
AE113HWB
AE113HWB

I can't find mention of the AE123 anywhere; any idea if that's a new model? I'm 6'00" and around 180 lbs., which puts me in both the B and C sizes. Are there any considerations for choosing one over the other?

B, I'm around your size and when I tried out a C size, the front of the seat kept digging into the back of my knees which can cause problems if you sit in it for extended periods of time.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Whitest Russian posted:

B, I'm around your size and when I tried out a C size, the front of the seat kept digging into the back of my knees which can cause problems if you sit in it for extended periods of time.

That's very good information to have, thanks!

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
What are good high-end (up to, say ~AU$1500, unless there's a good reason to go above) options for Australians? For some reason there are very, very few places in Melbourne stocking the usual suspect (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Ergohuman).

I managed to find one place that had the Ergohuman and found it comfortable other than the spectacularly bad armrests, but it seems very overpriced for the apparent middling build quality.

I was looking to buy a Steelcase Leap, but the don't allow online sales in AU and reports are their Melbourne office won't be interested in a single unit order (plus I have a strong aversion to companies that don't make it easy to take my money).

Is there another widely available option that I should look at, that I have a chance of actually trying before I buy?

evacuate meatspace
Jun 26, 2014

there is a monster at
the end of this thread

Womens Jeans posted:

I work from home, so I want to get an Eames Lounge chair with the ottoman, then somehow have two floating VESA mounts letting me work while reclining. Any suggestions on some sort of desk that would work for this plan?

I ordered an http://altwork.com but they pushed their shipping back by a year, locked down their social media pages, and take over 2 months to reply to customer service inquiries, so I'm trying to get a refund from them.

I'm also curious about reclining 'zero gravity' chairs. I found a few of those weird robotic Emperor Workstation-type setups, such as the Droian and the Ergoquest. They are far too expensive and look ridiculous, but I bet I could start a new life in one of these things. The Droian has heating and cooling built into the seat. All it needs is some plumbing for food in / waste out.

Anyway, I quoted you because I came across some DIY attempts consisting of a zero grav chair with a monitor arm + keyboard tray. Could be an option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7n7f_RXmzg&t=232s

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

What are good high-end (up to, say ~AU$1500, unless there's a good reason to go above) options for Australians? For some reason there are very, very few places in Melbourne stocking the usual suspect (Herman Miller, Steelcase, Ergohuman).

I managed to find one place that had the Ergohuman and found it comfortable other than the spectacularly bad armrests, but it seems very overpriced for the apparent middling build quality.

I was looking to buy a Steelcase Leap, but the don't allow online sales in AU and reports are their Melbourne office won't be interested in a single unit order (plus I have a strong aversion to companies that don't make it easy to take my money).

Is there another widely available option that I should look at, that I have a chance of actually trying before I buy?

James Richardson sold me 1 Leap for $975 ex GST.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

well why not posted:

Reddit doesn't even like them that much. They have an /r/ which is company-run and has no 'controversial' option, which says a lot. You can still view controversial posts here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/controversial/?sort=controversial&t=all

https://www.reddit.com/r/dxracer/comments/4pm2pd/appearance_of_dxracer_chair_after_using_it_for_25/

I've mentioned it a few times in this thread. They're a neat looking gimmick. Racecar seats aren't even designed to be comfortable - they're for safety, so you don't die in a horrible crash. That's less likely when you're playing Stardew Valley at your desk. Comfortable car-style seats would be like that from a Bentley. Bucket seats are awful to sit in compared to a properly designed office chair.

DXRACER gives the chairs out to streamers and youtube people for visibility, that's why they're so popular. They're seemingly made of bargain-basement materials. Just don't get one.

What gets me are the huge bolsters; Recaro and other racing seats have those to hold your rear end in place while taking corners. I personally think they look cool, but I wouldn't trust a polyurethane chair; there has to be a reason why DXRacer and other chairs are so cheap even after the 1337 G@/\/\3r markup.

E: The major complaints for DXRacer in particular are that while the seats themselves are decent enough, the other hardware is utter crap. Failing gas lifts, breaking armrests, crap tilt mechanisms, things going majorly wrong within months of purchase. Yes, I did want one for about 4 days, but there was that, and the fact that most of the non-fat person chairs are designed for people 5'8" and shorter. :colbert:

Does anyone have experience with the Steelcase Gesture with Headrest? It looks amazing, but it's quite expensive, even if I can write it off.

Also, until I can justify the Steelcase, how well does the leather on the Ikea Markus hold up? Is fabric a better option?

Sunshine89 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 29, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So my free Craigslist office chair special has turned out to be pretty comfy, but has developed a loud squeak on the reclining tilt. What kind of grease should I use and where? Just cheap White Lithium Grease?

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013

Sunshine89 posted:

What gets me are the huge bolsters; Recaro and other racing seats have those to hold your rear end in place while taking corners. I personally think they look cool, but I wouldn't trust a polyurethane chair; there has to be a reason why DXRacer and other chairs are so cheap even after the 1337 G@/\/\3r markup.

E: The major complaints for DXRacer in particular are that while the seats themselves are decent enough, the other hardware is utter crap. Failing gas lifts, breaking armrests, crap tilt mechanisms, things going majorly wrong within months of purchase. Yes, I did want one for about 4 days, but there was that, and the fact that most of the non-fat person chairs are designed for people 5'8" and shorter. :colbert:

Does anyone have experience with the Steelcase Gesture with Headrest? It looks amazing, but it's quite expensive, even if I can write it off.

Also, until I can justify the Steelcase, how well does the leather on the Ikea Markus hold up? Is fabric a better option?

I tried out the Gesture's headrest when I was looking for a chair and wasn't very impressed. I ended up getting a headrest off of Amazon for the Leap+headrest and I'm really happy with it. It works perfectly with me after securing it down with a bungee cord. The same setup could work for the Gesture.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N49621I/ref=twister_B01MXTGTJ8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M34AA17/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I have a Herman Miller Embody, and I have a suspicion that it is the cause of a mild lower back pain. Before I trash it, is there a tutorial on how to perfect the BackFit adjustment and tilt tension? The manual gives the options for a curved back vs. a flat back, but I have no idea which one my back is. My guess is that I put the adjuster to the middle of its range, and adjust it one way to see if the situation gets better/worse.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

I have a Herman Miller Embody, and I have a suspicion that it is the cause of a mild lower back pain. Before I trash it, is there a tutorial on how to perfect the BackFit adjustment and tilt tension? The manual gives the options for a curved back vs. a flat back, but I have no idea which one my back is. My guess is that I put the adjuster to the middle of its range, and adjust it one way to see if the situation gets better/worse.

I've found the Embody to be most comfortable among Mirra/Aeron (w/wo PostureFit)/Embody. You've got the basic adjustments dialed in correctly? Having improper distance between the seat edge and your legs can cause you to slouch, which in turn stresses your lower back. The backrest supports your sacrum and tilts your hips anterior; you want that S curve in your spine. Keep back resistance at a minimum to facilitate moving. Maintaining a static position is the bane of your musculoskeletal system and will cause those muscles to tighten up.

You get at least a hour of exercise a day? What's your mattress like? You spend at least a third of your life in bed. Sometimes that can carry over to your office setting. Add a keyboard tray to your desk. I'd look into other areas before junking the Embody.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It is with a heavy heart that I volunteer take your Embody off your hands should it not work out.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

nem posted:

I've found the Embody to be most comfortable among Mirra/Aeron (w/wo PostureFit)/Embody. You've got the basic adjustments dialed in correctly? Having improper distance between the seat edge and your legs can cause you to slouch, which in turn stresses your lower back. The backrest supports your sacrum and tilts your hips anterior; you want that S curve in your spine. Keep back resistance at a minimum to facilitate moving. Maintaining a static position is the bane of your musculoskeletal system and will cause those muscles to tighten up.

You get at least a hour of exercise a day? What's your mattress like? You spend at least a third of your life in bed. Sometimes that can carry over to your office setting. Add a keyboard tray to your desk. I'd look into other areas before junking the Embody.

I think I have the basics dialed in. I also get plenty of exercise and motion during the day.

Indeed, the mattress could be a culprit. But I frequently sleep in shittier beds when I travel (including an occasional couch that is way too short for my body), and the back pain is always gone when I travel.

It could also be because I had the chair's back resistance on high, so I changed it to the opposite end. We'll see what happens.

Thanks.

Picardy Beet
Feb 7, 2006

Singing in the summer.
Euro Goon speaking :
buyed this one after using the normal version at work or some times: https://www.usinebureau.com/sieges/fauteuil_ergonomique-all_chair-637.html
Middle priced (700 €uros) , solidly built with 5 year warranty, and reaally comfortable.
This website doesn't do delivery outside France, but this model is manufactured for them by Rexsitt (http://www.rexsitt.com) in Italy.
You can probably found his not-rebranded next of kin somewhere else.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sup thread. I have a sit/stand desk (motorized) at home now and while standing is great for office work, for gaming, I really would like a chair I can use as a computer chair, or one that I could recline and use to watch TV/play games with a controller. What are my options? My budget is about $800 give or take a couple hundo, but I'm really looking for value.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Are Herman miller's having a sale this month? If so does this also apply to their authorized dealers or is this an online thing only

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011
Update: just ordered a Steelcase Gesture from Arki over in Brisbane, as they were the only online retailer with an actual "buy" button. Hopefully it doesn't suck, since I couldn't try before I bought and had to go solely off online reviews.

Side note: screw Steelcase for their bullshit unobtanium products.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Anybody try one of these Verte RTM chairs before? Retail about $1500 USD.

https://modernchair.com/verte-chair-with-brushed-aluminum-frame.html

I think it's cool the chair can practically shape itself to most of your spine.

EDIT: Yeah, the chair was used in the Batman vs. Superman movie. The set designers removed the headrest and replaced the padded armrests with steel ones.
VVVVVVVVV

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

nnnotime posted:

Anybody try one of these Verte RTM chairs before? Retail about $1500 USD.

https://modernchair.com/verte-chair-with-brushed-aluminum-frame.html

I think it's cool the chair can practically shape itself to most of your spine.

It's that the chair from Batman?