Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Carlosologist posted:

I'm still laughing at the idea that the Iranian government put out a hit on Larry and it's essentially Leon's fault

I mean wouldn't it have happened anyway? The Ayatollah part was in his musical, so I guess Larry was just accelerating his Fatwa. Not that I want to try and think about Curb logically though.

Trying to figure out what I thought was the funniest part, Larry's costume in the restaurant, everything to do with Leon, or me realizing that Larry used Suzie as a social assassin against his assistant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I want the assistant to convert to Islam and come after Larry

Limp in the room with a bomb strapped to her

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

timp posted:

Yeah, for some reason Larry insisting that the hairdresser had to be a groom and not a bride seemed a bit beyond the pale to me. I realize that Larry is an rear end in a top hat and you're not supposed to agree with him, but instead of laughing and nodding my head because "this time he's saying what we're all thinkin'!", this time he's definitely not saying what I'm thinking.

Wow you totally missed the joke there. Larry made an assumption based on appearances when their established lesbian dynamic was actually pretty accurate (remember 'the bride' didn't like the door being held open for her and also went in to beat the poo poo out of Larry for what ever reason).

If you watch the show thinking the perspective is supposed to be Larry's always right you've been watching the show wrong. Larry is a complete rear end in a top hat man baby

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

facebook jihad posted:

Wow you totally missed the joke there. Larry made an assumption based on appearances when their established lesbian dynamic was actually pretty accurate (remember 'the bride' didn't like the door being held open for her and also went in to beat the poo poo out of Larry for what ever reason).

If you watch the show thinking the perspective is supposed to be Larry's always right you've been watching the show wrong. Larry is a complete rear end in a top hat man baby

What about Leon, is he supposed to be an rear end in a top hat too?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

timp posted:

Nah, he's just lampin'.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Leon has one motivation in his actions, and that's to get up in that rear end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

timp posted:

He's a complete loving idiot

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

He's a complete loving idiot

Alternately, he's the smartest person on the show. He just didn't leave with the rest of his family and is now friends with/grifting off of Larry.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It had some moments, but it wasn't top notch. I expect it will find its groove soon. Larry at his worst is still pretty, pretty, pretty, pretty good.

My username is partially cribbed from Leon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Susies getting sued and the assistant is going to marry.... the groom.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

Larry has mid-functioning-aspergers (has a problem relating to social cues and other people's emotions and is bothered by a lot of different sensory input) and is so ridiculously rich and famous that he can completely get away with it in the long run.

As such, he can be right or wrong depending on his situation and how he reads it. He immediately sees through a lot of societal bullshit and reacts outside of social norms when calling it out, which gets him in trouble. But he also completely overthinks or misreads stuff all the time and also gets in trouble for that too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I think he can read the cues but he just can't help himself.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I think he can read the cues but he just can't help himself.

For sure. Larry is just an rear end in a top hat. The rear end in a top hat we all sometimes wish we could be.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I feel like I'm one of the only ones who wasn't really digging that episode. There were funny moments, but it mostly came off as people doing an impression of an episode of Curb or something.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love when Larry asks Leon to keep him up on any new changes in black people handshakes.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Are there any other shows that follow the improved-filled outline structure?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The League did, but that was never an amazing show or anything.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

Reno 911

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I feel like I'm one of the only ones who wasn't really digging that episode. There were funny moments, but it mostly came off as people doing an impression of an episode of Curb or something.

i agree. i liked it ok, but some of the assholishness felt forced and over the top, even for curb. i'd definitely watch a whole season of eps like that, but it would end up being one of curb's worse seasons imo

that said i'm not at all doubtful that the rest will be better

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Larry David and Bernie Sanders are distant cousins

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/video/2017/oct/06/bernie-sanders-and-larry-david-find-out-theyre-cousins-video

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr. Grumpybones posted:

the what

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Improv-filled outline structure. A lot of the dialogue in curb is improv

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Is it's always sunny improv? Feels like it often.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

DuhSal posted:

Is it's always sunny improv? Feels like it often.

Surprisingly no. They've gone on the record a few times and assured people that it's all scripted, which I'm assuming they did in order to fully credit the writers of each episode. There's a small amount of improv which you can see developing in some of their blooper clips, but probably no more than any other TV comedy.

Nathan For You is both unscripted and hilarious. If you like cringey humor like Curb does sometimes you may want to check it out

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

They also came over on the same boat.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Hooker advice :laffo:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

That felt like a pretty bad episode.. I did laugh at the pickle jar as a distraction though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

explosivo posted:

That felt like a pretty bad episode.. I did laugh at the pickle jar as a distraction though.

Yeah, it felt like too many things were going on and the timing seems off compared to older episodes. I did love "I'm Tappy Johnson and I can't open this pickle jar".

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Oct 9, 2017

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I dunno, I got a pretty good laugh out of Fatwa Claus

also, "you ever seen a titty?"

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
"Sentence me to an orgasm like you've been sentenced to death" is a pretty good line, I just wanna say

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It wasn't a great episode but I still had a lot of fun with it. Poor Funkhousers just can't stop getting hosed over by Larry.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I thought it was hilarious. I dunno, maybe I'm just happy to have Curb back, but I laughed throughout.

- You ever seen a titty?
- More jew hating sex
- Leon's line at the very end
- Larry struggling to put the tong'd cookie in his hand
- The dick pants conversation
- Everything Tappy Johnson
- The hooker stuff.

I thought it was great :iiam:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Chappie Johnson :colbert:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Honestly, the first joke in the episode "Dear Ayatollah" had me cracking up.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, at first I was a little disappointed at them for doing what I thought was a simple rehash of the Jew hating sex joke, but then the punchline happened and it was all worth it. With Leon's line to Larry about leaving his glasses on during sex as the icing on the cake.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The ending was a bit weak, but this episode was great. The already opened pickle jar in the fridge, Marty talking about ejaculation, fuckin Swat, Mary going out with fake Larry. I laughed more than last week's probably.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm liking the new season. getting some good laughs out of it. but some of the situations seem kind of contrived

like the very ending of the new ep

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I'm liking the new season. getting some good laughs out of it. but some of the situations seem kind of contrived

Eh... it's not Arrested Development. The payoff to jokes is a few minutes later in the same episode, not several episodes later.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

like the very ending of the new ep

Situations in this show have always felt contrived, but that's part of the fun. And so far this season's easily as good as anything that came before it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Nichael posted:

And so far this season's easily as good as anything that came before it.

this is an insane statement

• Locked thread