Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The first four episodes of this season were actually supposed to be attached to season 2 but got pushed back for scheduling reasons. It just happened that episode 18 was a conclusion to the mother story arc because that was what Fox originally ordered for the season. I just rechecked the article about it and it was pretty vague on actual plot so the Sinnerman stuff might play into the rest of the season but it could also just get resolved really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC didn't they say this story arc was only going to be a couple of episodes because these were originally just going to be attached to the end of last season?

No no no, what they did was that they used the extension to produce a few experimental standalones that would lay ground for the third season, but could slot in anywhere in case FOX decided to bump them. So there's an episode about Lucifer's arrival in LA, a Mazikeen episode, an episode that I'm assuming is about Lucifer's adventures in Vegas after he peaced out in the middle of season 2 (it's called "Vegas With Some Radish"), and an episode titled "Off the Record" that was directed by Eduardo Sánchez (The Blair Witch Project, though he's been settling into TV lately, so I wouldn't assume it's a found footage episode).

EDIT: You can tell which episodes are from the extension by the production codes listed on Wikipedia. Anything from Season 3 proper starts with "T13.20751." The extension episodes start with "T13.20069," which picks up from the finale's code of "200068."

EDIT 2: I didn't include any links to Joe Henderson's original tweets on the matter, but here's me talking about it upthread:

DivisionPost posted:

Joe Henderson did a pretty good job selling this on Twitter. Seems like he and the room went into the surprise extension unsure if the additional episodes would air before or after the summer. They studied what other shows did in the same situation and decided to just do some quasi-standalones that had little to no bearing on Season 2's story, so they could be slotted anywhere while also teeing up the next season.

Best part is, "Fox gave us carte blanche to go crazy. And we did."

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 4, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was gonna complain about how they seemed to have turned forensics lady into a dumb caricature this season, but I forgot this was leftover from last season. Was she really this bad last season?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

counterfeitsaint posted:

I was gonna complain about how they seemed to have turned forensics lady into a dumb caricature this season, but I forgot this was leftover from last season. Was she really this bad last season?

Bad salad eating girl never left, she just went into hiding for a bit

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

counterfeitsaint posted:

This wasn't...literally the post above you, this wasn't from last season.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, the post above me was the only reason I remembered this was part of last season in the first place.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They're really using the hell outta the location now.

Also, the new sets look nice. But it's super uncanny valley the way they're the same but like, ~slightly~ different.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm amazed we had to wait until the second episode for a premature ejaculation joke about the wings. Incredible restraint by the writers.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I felt this was a bit of a weak episode plot-wise :( The attempts at being all twisty-turny with the new chief ended up being lame and kinda confused, but I guess he's in cahoots with Lucy now so yay? And "keep this a secret from Chloe" is going to be played for yet another ooh tension between Lucy and Chloe, what hilarious misunderstandings will this generate, isn't it. When they're simultaneously teasing us with the seemingly eternal will they won't they/will Lucy tell her. Counter-point, the doctor-Amy-subplot was pretty good, in my opinion. (Spoilers about specific events, kinda)

However, I loved the dialogue and gags, this show is amazing.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Looking forward to the slow motion Thomas Crown style segment with the Nina Simone song when we get to the sinnerman reveal and find out that it was the new lieutenant the whole time!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Two episodes in and no Mazikeen.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Slamhound posted:

Two episodes in and no Mazikeen.

Actress just had a baby in July. They did a great job hiding it last season towards the end. She'll be in ep 3, but that's because it's one of the stand alone episodes from last season. Not sure from imdb or her instagram when she's in the regular season.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does god show up in the comics?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Does god show up in the comics?

Yes. For sure at the end of the run of Lucifer (they have a pretty interesting conversation).

It's been a while, but I also think he shows here and there, but it's always ambiguous whether it's him or not. I could also be thinking of a different series for cameo god.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 9, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Neat, i hope he appears on the show too.

Edit: Jesus christ, did you guys see the cranial scar on the actor portraying the guy with the micropenis? It looks like his head has been cut off at the top at some point, wonder what the hell would leave a scar like that.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 9, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The show really needs to dial back on Ella. Really, really annoying.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

grack posted:

The show really needs to dial back on Ella. Really, really annoying.

She seems to have been turned up to like 20 this episode.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Spoiler about Sinnerman identity: Looks like it's not the lieutenant so we can nip that in the bud: https://tvline.com/2017/10/06/lucifer-season-3-kevin-carroll-cast-sinnerman/

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Aimee Garcia’s “J’accuse! J’ACCUSE!” out of nowhere was wonderful.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was very uncomfortable with this episode because I too have a friend with a micro-penis and I don't think it's very funny to make fun of him!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The bit with the gun in the puppet was genius.

Gonz posted:

Aimee Garcia’s “J’accuse! J’ACCUSE!” out of nowhere was wonderful.

While wearing the t-shirt as well. Killed me as well.

edit: I know standard tv show writing process is "team up character b with character c" but drat, that was a lame b plot this episode. But somehow the ep was still fun.

edit 2: "Because atoms are tiny, not that it explodes" is another great joke too.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 10, 2017

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Medullah posted:

I was very uncomfortable with this episode because I too have a friend with a micro-penis and I don't think it's very funny to make fun of him!

Right, "a friend"

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, that's never going away. Like Intenet herpes.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I know the show plays up his suave, handsome, likeable fellow image because he's the protoganist, but out of curiosity do any of the other characters ever call Lucifer out for being an actual despicable piece of poo poo? The guy's basically a recently retired galactic Ted Bundy, so it's kind of hilarious that he has any friends at all.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

-Blackadder- posted:

The guy's basically a recently retired galactic Ted Bundy, so it's kind of hilarious that he has any friends at all.

Err, what?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

quote:

Well … just speaking for myself … and I'm going out on a limb here … I'd like to say that you're an arrogant, ungrateful son of a bitch on a permanent power trip.

That's from the comic, and apparently she or her counterpart hasn't appeared yet in the TV series. Given the direction as police procedural, maybe never.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

-Blackadder- posted:

I know the show plays up his suave, handsome, likeable fellow image because he's the protoganist, but out of curiosity do any of the other characters ever call Lucifer out for being an actual despicable piece of poo poo? The guy's basically a recently retired galactic Ted Bundy, so it's kind of hilarious that he has any friends at all.

How is he like Ted Bundy?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Perhaps I should have used BTK instead. I guess I was just saying that the Devil is technically a vicious torturing rapist and any attempt to whitewash his actions to make his character more sympathetic and palatable is objectively laughable. There's a standard narative for this; that he's somehow misunderstood, reluctant, heavy-hearted, and not really responsible for his actions or the actions of those under his command.

Next up, "Lovable rascal and misunderstood Nazi War Crimminal solves crimes with cop side-kick, Fridays on USA."

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

-Blackadder- posted:

Perhaps I should have used BTK instead. I guess I was just saying that the Devil is technically a vicious torturing rapist and any attempt to whitewash his actions to make his character more sympathetic and palatable is objectively laughable. There's a standard narative for this; that he's somehow misunderstood, reluctant, heavy-hearted, and not really responsible for his actions or the actions of those under his command.

Next up, "Lovable rascal and misunderstood Nazi War Crimminal solves crimes with cop side-kick, Fridays on USA."

Really putting that home school education to work, huh?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

-Blackadder- posted:

Devil ain't real bro. Or you mad he's got a silver tongue and a healthy dick?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
The gently caress. The entire basis of the character as we've ever presented him is that the job was basically foist upon him, he got sick of it (and being considered the bad guy for doing it) and quit without giving notice. He's hedonistic, but he's not a rapist. The very idea disgusts him from what we've seen on the show. From what we've seen of Hell itself the punishments are self-inflicted, like the guy reliving the worst day of his life and having to confront the fact he let a kid die to save his research files. Or Luci's own personal little hell he gets trapped in for a little while.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

-Blackadder- posted:

The devil is a fictional character. This may be true of other interpretations of the character but it certainly isn't true of the character in this show. It's been made pretty clear that he has a pretty strong moral core and sense of justice, and that he is motivated by a need to punish wrongdoers. The narrative also explicitly made clear his revulsion to anything vaguely in the same ballpark as rape - when he realised that chloe was deliberately created as part of God's plan for him, he immediately severed any chance of them having a sexual relationship, because he could never be certain that she was truly operating on her own free will.

Yes, he's hedonistic, and bisexual, but there's absolutely nothing wrong like that despite what hate groups like the Catholic church have to say about it. Have you even watched the show?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Thats one of the changes between season 1 and 2 I liked, I'm pretty sure in season 1 guys being attracted to him was played as a gag, but then in season 2 they worked out that doesn't make sense, so they portray him as bisexual.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

The Lord Bude posted:

Have you even watched the show?

This whole thing reads like that "review" of King of the Hill where the writer claims that Hank Hill's occupation is never brought up.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

-Blackadder- posted:

The version of The Devil you are talking about here doesn't even exist in the scriptures used by rural American death cults.

In the bible, the Devil is basically The Biggest rear end in a top hat Prosecuting Attorney in Divine Court looking for reasons you should go to Hell. Lucifer is a separate entity altogether.

Also, Hell is just a desert with extreme heat and fire and undying maggots eating your flesh. No custom torments. That idea was Milton's.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The version of The Devil you are talking about here doesn't even exist in the scriptures used by rural American death cults.

In the bible, the Devil is basically The Biggest rear end in a top hat Prosecuting Attorney in Divine Court looking for reasons you should go to Hell. Lucifer is a separate entity altogether.

Also, Hell is just a desert with extreme heat and fire and undying maggots eating your flesh. No custom torments. That idea was Milton's.

Yeah, pretty much, although you could argue that customised hell predates Milton with Alighieri's Divine Comedy.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Can we just call Blackadder stunningly retarded and move on?

We should be getting some of those four extra episodes starting next week, and apparently the Vegas episode is about Ella, not Lucifer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

grack posted:

As long as we're referring to the poster and not the series

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

grack posted:

We should be getting some of those four extra episodes starting next week, and apparently the Vegas episode is about Ella, not Lucifer.

Alternatively you could always just calm down or perhaps go gently caress yourself, in a stunningly retarded way, of course.

I just asked a question about the show and it's portrayal of the protagonist and how it related to the character's portrayal in other media. I wasn't making GBS threads on the show itself if that's how it came across.

And if the asnwer to my query is basically "the Devil in this show has a different history/background than the one popularized in other media + see the 'Don't over-think it' part of the thread title", which is what I think one of the responses upthread essentially said, then that's a perfectly acceptable non-rear end in a top hat answer.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

-Blackadder- posted:

I just asked a question about the show and it's portrayal of the protagonist and how it related to the character's portrayal in other media. I wasn't making GBS threads on the show itself if that's how it came across.

Have you watched any of it? Because calling the protagonist "Galactic Ted Bundy" seems to be missing the point entirely. Leading with that out of the gate in a rather chill thread is something that's gonna get you called a idiot.

• Locked thread