Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite part of the episode is the crew deciding to give them a New Orleans funeral even though Ro is intensely Bajoran and Geordi isn't even American.

Isn't Geordi supposed to be from New Orleans? Hence the French surname?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, Geordi is from Somalia.

Sisko was the first African-American major character in Trek. Come to think of it, the Sisko family might still be the only ones.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Sisko was the first African-American major character in Trek. Come to think of it, the Sisko family might still be the only ones.
Tuvok! :downs:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Q_res posted:

Isn't Geordi supposed to be from New Orleans? Hence the French surname?

MikeJF posted:

Yep. Uhura is from the 'United States of Africa" and Geordi is from the 'African Confederation'. Mayweather is a space boomer. Burnham might be American, we don't know yet, but she grew up on Vulcan.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 9, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yep. Uhura is from the 'United States of Africa" and Geordi is from the 'African Confederation'.

Uhura at least spoke Swahili from time to time; Geordi's background is from a text display that would have been unreadable when the show aired, so I don't know if I'd consider it 'official'. He was raised on ships, and his parents are officers, so I figure his culture is 'Starfleet'.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Angry Salami posted:

Uhura at least spoke Swahili from time to time; Geordi's background is from a text display that would have been unreadable when the show aired, so I don't know if I'd consider it 'official'. He was raised on ships, and his parents are officers, so I figure his culture is 'Starfleet'.

I want to say some of the original TNG preproduction documents and memos implied a more obvious African background, but I can't find anything on MA. I do know that at one point they thought about having him speak with a Jamaican accent and that Reggie Jackson (yes, Mr October) was an early favorite before LeVar.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Discovery's saucer section spins round and round when they use their magic fungus drive. I thought everyone should know.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Should I watch discovery? I haven't seen it yet. I figured it'd just be enterprise 2.0

I've only been watching a lot of TNG and Voyager because it makes me nostalgic for the days of coming back home from school and watching pokemon and then star trek right after on the Sky

enterprise didn't really have that for me and discovery just seems generically dark+gritty

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Should I watch discovery? I haven't seen it yet. I figured it'd just be enterprise 2.0

I've only been watching a lot of TNG and Voyager because it makes me nostalgic for the days of coming back home from school and watching pokemon and then star trek right after on the Sky

enterprise didn't really have that for me and discovery just seems generically dark+gritty

Probably not yet. So far it's not as dire as Enterprise, but it's trying VERY hard to be a Prestige Drama In This Golden Age of T.V. It's literally dark and gritty, morally dark and gritty, and has some decent effects and some really crappy ones. The dialogue is frequently bizarre and few of the characters are likable. All this could change, it's not as if we're far into the show, but I couldn't recommend it either based on a love of Star Trek or a desire to be entertained.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's well worth the watch and gets better every episode. My wife and I are having weekly watch parties with friends for it. One girl is a big Trekkie who loved DS9 and loves this, my wife is more a TNG person who doesn't watch too much Star Trek and she says this is the best show yet.

I don't get the dark and gritty comments - this isn't BSG at all. Plenty of good old-fashioned Star Trek with modern serialized drama worked in. Lots of fun to watch.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's alright. I wouldn't subscribe to anything just for it, but if you're in a sane country and have netflix, give it a go. Maybe start with episode three, it's a better intro than the first two.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

There can be a lot of complaints about it but it looks loving fantastic. It's absolutely gorgeous.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Its plot set ups can be aggressively stupid and most of the characters so far are dumb jerks, but that's your average network Me Too prestige drama. I dunno. The cast is good!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Regarding if TOS is good or bad, it's neither. It's hit or miss. Like most of Star Trek. There's some really good episodes and some really bad ones. And a lot of boring ones.

The Bloop posted:

Voyager isn't terrible. There I said it.

The problem is that it so completely fails too live up to it's potential. It all but abandons a fantastic premise immediately after introducing it, and for all it's technical improvements over TNG it just falls so short of what it could have been.

It's rarely great and just sort of OK to good overall, but I can't help but be let down by it because it's so internally inconsistent and so very, very far from it's obvious promise.

This. Voyager is just kind of mediocre and bland. The show lasted 7 seasons and I can only remember a handful of episodes.

But being really mediocre might actually be worse than being really bad, because it leaves no impression. I can at least remember quite a few notoriously bad Star Trek episodes like Spock's Brain and Threshold. Most of Voyager is just like... a mental blank for me. And I've seen Star Trek: Insurrection multiple times and can still barely remember it. It's that bland. I'll never forget the Star Wars prequels, though.

Nessus posted:

I can give Worf a partial pass because a lot of people don't seem to realize that Michael Dorn is black, perhaps because they are stupid, but Tuvok was also extremely black while also extremely Vulcan. Every species without extensive makeup seems to be explicitly multiracial in Trek.

Except for Bajorans. But Bajorans also suck

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Jury is still out. I'm enjoying it for the most part, but some people are extremely not enjoying it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's merely bad, not terrible.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

It's a well produced star trek show that is too young and new to have either a great episode or a truly terrible one. It's fine. If you're not so far up your own rear end that you can't accept anything different, and you're a fan of star trek, you'll probably enjoy it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

If you've ever wanted a show to tell you that the invasion of Iraq was complicated and really we can't blame anyone, and literally every show for the past decade haven't filled that void for you, you will love STD.

It's a show for Eli Lake.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I understand the reasoning behind redesigning the Klingons to put your own mark on it and make them more alien. But it kinda defeats the purpose when the prosthetics are so constraining that your actors can't speak or emote properly in them. That whole conversation in the warp core I was staring at the albino's prosthetic nose drifting left and right between shots.

That's how I felt. The only Klingon so far I've enjoyed listening to is T'Kuvma, and that's because he makes these little "poo" sounds at the end of certain words that I like. Even he sounds like he's spitting his plosives wetly through stiff silicone lips, though.

Every other klingon literally sounds like a teenager in a halloween mask trying to speak through the little mouth hole, and their clothes allow so little movement that they're either standing or stalking around or dramatically raising a bat'leth like they're about to split cordwood.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

That's how I felt. The only Klingon so far I've enjoyed listening to is T'Kuvma, and that's because he makes these little "poo" sounds at the end of certain words that I like. Even he sounds like he's spitting his plosives wetly through stiff silicone lips, though.

Every other klingon literally sounds like a teenager in a halloween mask trying to speak through the little mouth hole, and their clothes allow so little movement that they're either standing or stalking around or dramatically raising a bat'leth like they're about to split cordwood.

The only Klingon I thought was any good so far was the brief flashback of young T'Kuvma because he actually emoted and had inflection.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

It's merely bad, not terrible.

So far it's really boring and not really that visually impressive either. I gave up on ENT halfway through it's third season but if this show weren't on broadcast TV here I wouldn't bother pirating it at this point.

Like seriously the whole thing comes off like someone funded a production of some 13 year old emo kid's grimdark Voyager fanfic

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

there's a background Klingon with like one line where he says his name and the poor guy can barely get it out. His own name. His own name.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hopefully we'll look back on this and laugh like season 1 of The Next Generation, but who knows if it will get another season. What will CBS do when all access fails?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The female Klingon (Lorel?) doesn't have it as bad as the males because her prosthetics aren't as extensive, you could almost see her emote in the dining scene. All the male Klingons look like they have prosthetic pieces covering everything except their eyes and chin. That's excessive.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The female Klingon (Lorel?) doesn't have it as bad as the males because her prosthetics aren't as extensive, you could almost see her emote in the dining scene. All the male Klingons look like they have prosthetic pieces covering everything except their eyes and chin. That's excessive.

L'Rell, I think. And yes, you are completely right. Their faces wind up looking rigid and masklike, they can basically only emote with eyes and mouth, barely. That combined with the difficulty of speaking every single line in a conlang and the fact that the design of their costumes seems to prevent the actors from exhibiting very much body language, makes them way more boring to watch than they need to be. It's a pity because I actually like their plot. Voq's genuine hero worship for T'Kuvma contrasted with the exploitative way everyone else treated him is pretty interesting and I'm hopeful we will get something cool out of him and his girlfriend's scheming against the other lords. Maybe the actors got used to the prosthetics and such as the production went on?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Future's End is on BBC America right now and for a bunch of open minded 24th century explorers they sure are easily freaked out by seeing beachgoers in 1996. I mean I guess it's different since they're humans and they feel they can get judgemental but it seems like you'd lose any kind of attitude like that on day one at the academy when one of your roomies is a dude who breathes fluorine or some poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

skasion posted:

L'Rell, I think. And yes, you are completely right. Their faces wind up looking rigid and masklike, they can basically only emote with eyes and mouth, barely. That combined with the difficulty of speaking every single line in a conlang and the fact that the design of their costumes seems to prevent the actors from exhibiting very much body language, makes them way more boring to watch than they need to be. It's a pity because I actually like their plot. Voq's genuine hero worship for T'Kuvma contrasted with the exploitative way everyone else treated him is pretty interesting and I'm hopeful we will get something cool out of him and his girlfriend's scheming against the other lords. Maybe the actors got used to the prosthetics and such as the production went on?

I'm starting to wonder if the reason Klingons are fighting with each other so much is that none of them can pick up on each others' intonation; with how routinely pure-text communication causes bitchy slapfights online, I can see that happening with stiff-faced monotones.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's actually the origin story of the bat'leth, which was invented as a way to do air quotes so you can tell when a Klingon is being sarcastic.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Discovery sometimes makes me wonder if everyone is seeing the same show as everyone else. That's not even a disparaging comment the show just engenders such different responses from post to post.

Like I personally hate it, others absolutely love it and consider it the best Trek ever.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Frionnel posted:

Huh, what do you know. Which season is it?

Next season, 5. Don't want to give away too much if you want to go into it fresh.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

evilmiera posted:

Discovery sometimes makes me wonder if everyone is seeing the same show as everyone else. That's not even a disparaging comment the show just engenders such different responses from post to post.

Like I personally hate it, others absolutely love it and consider it the best Trek ever.

I know one person at least who is excited because of race/gender representation in trek, but I'm looking at it and seeing some "problematic representations" at best and a bland trek-tinted echo of stereotypes at worst. They're usually very on point about calling out these things in other media--often to the extent of annoying everyone--so the trek blinders seem pretty real in my experience.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey remember when I said they'll call it progressive to have a multiracial crew of grim soldiers and this time a black woman is holding the gun?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey remember when I said they'll call it progressive to have a multiracial crew of grim soldiers and this time a black woman is holding the gun?

https://twitter.com/historyinflicks/status/839732795706593281

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

The same way a cloaked ship can still observe things outside the cloak.

Don't ask me how that is, though.

I enjoyed how, in the Star Wars EU, cloaks were pretty much worthless unless you had a Jedi or something on board because of exactly why you'd think they would: sensors can't sense.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Discovery is so far an agressively ugly show with almost no likeable characters. Watch The Expanse instead while STD develops.

Doggles posted:

Next season, 5. Don't want to give away too much if you want to go into it fresh.

Thanks, yeah, i'd rather go in fresh. Let's see what they do with this sequel.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Hopefully we'll look back on this and laugh like season 1 of The Next Generation, but who knows if it will get another season. What will CBS do when all access fails?

Keep making the show? Assuming Netflix keeps throwing money at them. Netflix apparently paid enough for the international rights that it covered the cost of making the show, granted they said that before one of the many delays so who knows if that's still true.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The most blatantly dickish gun having woman already got some desserts though so hopefully all the bad characters will die. Not sure how our manipulative and arrogant main character will ever get to the captain's seat, considering she's a dis ranked prisoner

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

The most blatantly dickish gun having woman already got some desserts though so hopefully all the bad characters will die. Not sure how our manipulative and arrogant main character will ever get to the captain's seat, considering she's a dis ranked prisoner

Her second mutiny against Lorca- who Starfleet seems to completely trust and know what he's doing- will be considered good and Starfleet will start it's "1 free attempted mutiny" policy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They do kind of have a dark mirror old triangle on Discovery: Saru is XO and science div but he's the heartfelt moral compass, Michael is the arrogant brain with issues, and Lorca is a European caricature of Kirk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tighclops posted:

Like seriously the whole thing comes off like someone funded a production of some 13 year old emo kid's grimdark Voyager fanfic

It's funny because that's almost verbatim how I described Star Trek Into Darkness