Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Neurosis posted:

Didn't Affliction have Megadeth? Maybe the only area whete it looked down on the UFC from Olympian heights in

not only did they have megadeth, they had michael buffer announcing megadeth, and then a bunch of greasy nerds headbanging on camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinoarashi
Mar 28, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He did dodge TJ. You can dress it up how you want but when push comes to shove, he was offered a contract to fight TJ and he made noise until he got one to fight Borg, a massively easier fight.

It's pointless to be worried about TJ missing weight when TJ has never missed weight and say you want to fight Ray Borg instead, who is noted for missing weight.

It's not pointless when TJ hasn't completed at 125 lbs. since high school.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a much less pressing concern to have about TJ over Borg considering TJ's a professional fighter and it can be assumed he'll do everything he can to make weight, including when he's openly saying he will make weight, he's more trustworthy to make the weight than someone who has missed weight consistently, and still missed the first appointment they had for this matchup.

It just smacks of DJ wanting to get his record first and then take super fights after that. Which is fair enough if he's transparent about that.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I like the idea of Johnson fighting people at 135 but not if they're actually near the title at 135 like TJ is. Let's see him fight Cruz again and give a 125 challenger time to emerge.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

rapeface posted:

Wait, do people still think MM dodged TJ? Didn't he say he'd fight him if UFC would guarantee that he could make weight and UFC said that he could fight Borg if he didn't? Why would anyone agree to that lovely deal?

The problem with Keven's posts, funny as they are, is that some people don't get his gimmick and latch on to his points unironically.

He did dodge TJ. You can dress it up how you want but when push comes to shove, he was offered a contract to fight TJ and he made noise until he got one to fight Borg, a massively easier fight.

It's pointless to be worried about TJ missing weight when TJ has never missed weight and say you want to fight Ray Borg instead, who is noted for missing weight.

Yeah, no. TJ's never fought at 125 and MM was willing to fight him, on the condition that he was properly compensated if TJ missed weight and it became a non-title match. Dana's response was predicably "gently caress you".

Like, I get that we live in the post-factual society now, but jeeez. How dumb do you have to be to believe Dana over MM?

Also, the man was angling to fight Cody, the guy who beat the brakes off TJ.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
the same mighty mouse that cruz had to wrestle because he was getting outstruck on the feet was mounted and beaten up by uncle creepy. unless cruz somehow got way, way better after surgery and three years on the shelf i think it's safe to say that mighty mouse would coast to a wide decision against cruz. it's hard to convey how far mm has come since the last time he fought at 135. the only person mm should fight at 135 is whoever the champ is, as i'm pretty sure that's the only person even remotely able to shut him down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Freudian slippers posted:

cruz. but it may as well be tj considering that's who tj styled himself after and lost to.

jay z's sedan
Nov 22, 2005

milk truck just arrive

That was a good fight

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

MM ducked TJ just after the TJ/Cody fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The sparring footage that never appeared.

I think Cody's gonna whoop TJ, and that DJ would be a rightful wide favourite against either winner of next months title fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

mm would never be the betting favorite against someone of average height (in 1962)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Weren't Cody and TJ supposed to be feuding over who was Urijah Faber's true son?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Jerusalem posted:

Weren't Cody and TJ supposed to be feuding over who was Urijah Faber's true son?

Yeah, it was around that time that TJ drove off with Cody's dad's coffin attached to the back of his limo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TJ's a professional fighter

He cheapshot sparring partners and ruined a guys career via illegal shots to the back of the head in sparring.

This is all provable, just ask Cody and Urijah.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Unfunny Poster posted:

He cheapshot sparring partners and ruined a guys career via illegal shots to the back of the head in sparring.

"Duane Ludwig is the greatest coach in the history of coaching and took Team Alpha Male to the next level" - Urijah Faber

"Duane Ludwig is a fraud who did nothing and Master Thonglor is the only striking coach we ever had and ever will" - Also Urijah Faber

"Team Alpha Male fighter TJ Dillashaw? Who? They don't exist, are you sure you're not asking about Danny "Last Call" Castillo?" - Also Also Urijah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

"Duane Ludwig is the greatexst coach in the history of coaching and took Team Alpha Male to the next level" - Urijah Faber

"Duane Ludwig is a fraud who did nothing and Master Thonglor is the only striking coach we ever had and ever will" - Also Urijah Faber

That quote praising Duane was before Duane stole millions of dollars from TAM and sent that lady to break into Urijah's house. Duh.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

That was sick

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Unfunny Poster posted:

That quote praising Duane was before Duane stole millions of dollars

Is this a real thing that happened, or are we talking about TJs sexual marketplace value?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I liked the first time DJ sat on top of Borg like he was a bench and the audience all started laughing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Unfunny Poster posted:

Being a piece of poo poo is seemingly the most vital part of being a pro fighter, yes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I'd say being at all doubtful about dropping the extra 7% weight is reasonable, but making that a sticking point for the contract, not as much.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Being a piece of poo poo is seemingly the most vital part of being a pro fighter, yes.

This is the one thing keeping me out of the UFC

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm a big clumsy piece of poo poo who's not good at anything. If I got fatter, I could be a UFC heavyweight and date Ronda Rousey.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i mean I'm glad DJ didn't take the dillashaw fight because i really want to see the Cody-dillashaw fight. after that i would like to see DJ challenge the winner though

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The problem with Keven's posts, funny as they are, is that some people don't get his gimmick and latch on to his points unironically.

Yeah, no. TJ's never fought at 125 and MM was willing to fight him, on the condition that he was properly compensated if TJ missed weight and it became a non-title match. Dana's response was predicably "gently caress you".

Like, I get that we live in the post-factual society now, but jeeez. How dumb do you have to be to believe Dana over MM?

lol

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, no.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/917426974376775680

Bud Light is no longer worthy to step into the octagon but Modelo now is.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Digital Jedi posted:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/917426974376775680

Bud Light is no longer worthy to step into the octagon but Modelo now is.

how can they advocate smoking using athletes

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going to get a Modelo 'cos Bud won't pay me nothin

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the hells a modelo

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Their sponsor should be a COOOORS light

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Modelo is a mexican beer company owned by the same people (inbev) that own almost all beer in the world (including budweiser).

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

MM ducked TJ just after the TJ/Cody fight.

:happened:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Great now everyone will thing I’m shilling for the UFC when I’m drinking a Medelo beer. Just leave me in peace with my Metalo bee!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Modelo is a large brewery in Mexico owned by Belgian-Brazilian company Anheuser-Busch InBev.

e: oops, already said

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Ian McCall was released from the UFC

Wikipedia posted:

A rematch with Dustin Ortiz was expected to take place on August 8, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 73.[27] However, McCall pulled out of the fight in late July citing injury and was replaced by Willie Gates.[28]

McCall was expected to face Justin Scoggins on July 30, 2016 at UFC 201.[29] However, only 2 days before the event, Scoggins announced he was not going to make the contracted weight. The UFC pulled Scoggins and canceled the bout.[30]

McCall was expected to face Ray Borg on September 10, 2016 at UFC 203.[31] However, Borg pulled out of the fight on September 7 citing an illness. With no time to find a suitable replacement, McCall was removed from the card.[32]

McCall was expected to face Neil Seery on November 19, 2016 at UFC Fight Night 99.[33] However, McCall was pulled from the fight one day before it was scheduled to take place. It was rebooked for UFC 208, and this time Seery pulled out of what was expected to be his retirement bout two weeks before.[34][35]

McCall was expected to face Jarred Brooks on February 11, 2017 at UFC 208. However, McCall was pulled from the fight the day it was scheduled to take place due to gastrointestinal illness.[36]

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

it's cigarettes

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ian McCall was released from the UFC

Well he sort of forced them

Ian McCall has asked UFC for at least $100,000 to fight again for the promotion, with the flyweight telling ESPN that if his financial request is not met that he would like to be released from his contract to compete for another organization or simply retire.

McCall (13-5-1) has not fought in nearly three years. He is 2-3-1 in his last six fights but is the last person to face longtime champion Demetrious Johnsonin the Octagon and not lose, fighting to a draw in March 2012. McCall said he has one fight left on his deal and that UFC does not want to change his contract until that agreement is completed.

Did he just need a years supply of black tar heroin? A screenplay could be made loosely based on Ian's life given how unlucky he is in life

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Full context

quote:

Ian McCall has asked UFC for at least $100,000 to fight again for the promotion, with the flyweight telling ESPN that if his financial request is not met that he would like to be released from his contract to compete for another organization or simply retire.

McCall (13-5-1) has not fought in nearly three years. He is 2-3-1 in his last six fights but is the last person to face longtime champion Demetrious Johnsonin the Octagon and not lose, fighting to a draw in March 2012. McCall said he has one fight left on his deal and that UFC does not want to change his contract until that agreement is completed.

"I'm either going to get paid $100,000 to fight or I'm not fighting ever again. If it's [$50,000 to show] and [$50,000 to win], I'm fine with that," McCall told ESPN. "So I either get 50 and 50, or you can let me go and I can look for it somewhere else or I can retire. It's as simple as that. But me fighting for $16,000 and $16,000 when I'm a former world champion is pretty gross."

McCall is coming off a unanimous decision loss to John Lineker in January 2015 at UFC 183. He said he has dealt with a number of health issues in recent years, including Helicobacter pylori, a bacterial infection that causes intestinal problems. McCall has been in and out of the hospital six times over the past 12 months.

He said stress has brought on "the depression, the mood swings and the bipolar stuff."

"My life has spiraled out of control for five years, realistically," McCall said. "I've had injury, after injury, after injury, after personal problem, after personal problem, after personal problem. Sickness and injury. It's just been s--- for me."

In hopes of changing that, McCall wants to return to the one thing he loves: mixed martial arts. He said he realistically needs six months to get back in shape and build his strength up. Given this time, McCall said he could return to UFC and compete for a flyweight title again.

But McCall also is looking for a restructured contract and does not want to wait another fight to get it. He said his future well-being is too important to be put on the line for a small payday.

"I can't risk my health and life for less than $100,000. It's not worth it," McCall said. "I put a number on that. I think everyone thinks I'm crazy, but we're fighting for a living. I know what these companies are making. $100,000 is nothing, and I've been a company man since day one."

McCall emphasized how much he wants to return to UFC. He joined the organization in 2012 and called it "my home."

That said, if UFC doesn't value him enough, he would be open to other promotions.

One of those would be the Rizin Fighting Federation in Japan. Another would be fighting for Ramzan Kadyrov, the head of the Chechen Republic. Kadyrov leads MMA tournaments and the state-run Akhmat Fight Club. He also was condemned earlier this year by the United Nations Human Rights Council for "acts of persecution and violence on an unprecedented scale" against gays and bisexuals in the region.

Kadyrov, when asked about the allegations on HBO's Real Sports earlier this year, said, "This is nonsense. We don't have such people here. We don't have any gays. If there are any, take them to Canada."

McCall said he is opposed to what Kadyrov stands for but would be open to fighting in Chechnya for the right price.

"People say, 'You don't care that it's blood money?' I don't give a flying f--- that it's blood money. You can pay me in blood diamonds," McCall said. "I get into a cage and fistfight for money. I don't care. I don't live there.

"Of course what he's doing is wrong. I don't agree with it and would say it to his face, but it's none of my business. My business is to go over there and fistfight. That's it. Sure, war is bad and guys like that do evil s---. But I don't care."

So McCall wants 100k because he was a champion in Tachi Palace Fights and if not he's going to be a nihilist fighting for a dictator despot for blood money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
All of that sounds fine to me, best of luck to Ian.

• Locked thread