Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bull3964 posted:

Yes, my DVR recorded it earlier this week.

What happened on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

it's just the second part of the pilot retitled for re-airing purposes.

Anyway Catherine Tate is playing Magica.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MonsterEnvy posted:

What happened on it.

Yeah, as mentioned, it was basically just a re-airing of the 2nd half of the pilot.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to call my sister Mary "Englabeth" now. Is something wrong with me?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
New episode today was pretty good! Lena's banter with Webby was great, and it was interesting to see her straight-up do magic to save Beakley.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda worried about Launchpad you guys.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

RandomPauI posted:

I'm kinda worried about Launchpad you guys.

The concussions he gets from all the crashing are doing a number on him.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The real monster was man the whole time.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That may not have been "the Huey episode" but I think it served as a pretty good introduction for him regardless.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RandomPauI posted:

The real monster was man the whole time.

Well yeah. A human being in Duckburg would be scary as hell.

I like that we still don't know whose side Lena will fall on. Is it really the long game or is that an excuse? Who does she really care about, and how much? And how much will that change before the end?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think it'd be really creepy to get sucked into a cartoon universe. There'd be no good way to to get around knowing that Scrooge was also Dr. Who, or that Webby's voice actress was half of the band that sang "gently caress Me in the rear end 'cause I Love Jesus" or "Sex with Ducks".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Well yeah. A human being in Duckburg would be scary as hell.

I like that we still don't know whose side Lena will fall on. Is it really the long game or is that an excuse? Who does she really care about, and how much? And how much will that change before the end?

There's definitely a sense that she's not 100% on board with Magica but at the same time is still beholden to her. I still say it's a duress thing and that Lena actually does want to be friends, honestly.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Lena seems like someone's OC (do not steal), so I'm surprised she's actually working out fine on the show so far.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Avalerion posted:

Lena seems like someone's OC (do not steal), so I'm surprised she's actually working out fine on the show so far.

Well, Magica having a niece isn't something that hasn't been done before.

But the way this particular show uses it seems to make her and Magica's relationship come off as somewhat "they're working together because they have to" and not because they want to which provides a good contrast to the other familial relationships we've seen so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I like that there's some ambiguity to it. The comics generally have Minima just being babysat by Magica, who's willing to take advantage of that for her evil plans and help her out on occasion, as a bit of a counterpart to Scrooge and his nephews. But this version, they both need each other and don't trust each other. Lena kinda strikes me as being along for the ride with Magica's plans, but enjoying her friendship with Webby.

There seems to be some hints that Lena's come from money but fallen on hard times recently, which would be another nice contrast to Scrooge. She's well-travelled and well educated, far more intelligent than she looks, but cynical and lonely. And it may be connected to however Magica became her living shadow.

(Come to think of it, maybe they're a foil to Scrooge and Donald)

On another note; was Launchpad this goofy in the old shows? He starts to remind me a little of the sillier side of the old Mighty Ducks cartoon that only I'm mad enough to remember.

Also, I'm still sure that Beakly is a gender flipped Brock Samson.

Additional random note: apparently Gabby McStabberson is based on Grace Jones, particularly her appearance in A View To A Kill.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 8, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

re: the Paperinik discussion, what I'M hoping for is for this series to finally give us Maui Mallard's next adventure that I've been looking out for for two decades

Donald Duck has a lot of loving weird alter egos.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given the Goof Troop references, I'm kind of expecting Donald and Goofy to show up and greet each other as old friends. I wonder how Max and the triplets might get along.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Given the Goof Troop references, I'm kind of expecting Donald and Goofy to show up and greet each other as old friends. I wonder how Max and the triplets might get along.

That could possibly happen, given that they said that Goofy might be within their reach.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Folt The Bolt posted:

Well, Magica having a niece isn't something that hasn't been done before.

But the way this particular show uses it seems to make her and Magica's relationship come off as somewhat "they're working together because they have to" and not because they want to which provides a good contrast to the other familial relationships we've seen so far.

This episode suggested that Magica actually cares for Lena, given that when Lena ignores her to commit to the magic spell and help Beakly, her eyes turning white to show she's really going for the spell Magica disappears and a second later the train lifts a lot more than Lena was previously able to do on her own. Now, it could be that Lena does it on her own, but the delay of a few seconds in that case is kind of weird. It suggests Magica has plans and wants Lena to help her out because she genuinely thinks it's the best way in her own view, but is willing to go against her plans at least in a small way to help Lena.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Folt The Bolt posted:

That could possibly happen, given that they said that Goofy might be within their reach.

I think they obliquely hinted that near everything is on the table besides Mickey himself. Half expecting an Oswald reference.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think they obliquely hinted that near everything is on the table besides Mickey himself. Half expecting an Oswald reference.

And Rescue Rangers as well since technically the live action film is still in development.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

OptimusShr posted:

And Rescue Rangers as well since technically the live action film is still in development.

actually the Live Action film being in development means that that's it's the only Disney Afternoon show that they're not allowed to reference

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I don't think any cartoon outburst will ever make me laugh harder than the Mayor on Powerpuff Girls shrieking "My life is a lie!" but Launchpad's "Everything I've ever seen in a movie is real!" is the closest yet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

actually the Live Action film being in development means that that's it's the only Disney Afternoon show that they're not allowed to reference

I think that's what he meant

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
whoops

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Shadow Magica looks so cool that I'm sure I'll be disappointed when her real design is revealed.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Great episode, but remember when Scrooge was in this show?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ballz posted:

1987?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I assume that's just due to them messing with the episode order. Webby questioning how Huey can still doubt stuff after all they've been through with Scrouge suggests there should have been on more adventures by now.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ballz posted:

Hey, David Tennant's expensive!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I mentioned before Donald's PTSD, well here's a "canon" page that showed it(warning for racist language);

and here's a fan's take on the concept using DT2017 Donald;

source

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Given that they're strongly hinting that... something in Donald's past shook him to the core and broke his trust with Scrooge, and threatening the boys is the fastest way to get him to Hulk out, a modern take on Donald's PTSD might not be unfitting.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

and here's a fan's take on the concept using DT2017 Donald;

source

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lmao

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The amount of hilariously melodramatic Donald Duck art I have seen since this thing premiered is something else, man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Huh, apparently the creators wanted to reference the Mighty Ducks cartoon, but they're 'tricker for legal reasons'. Probably because one of the characters is still used as the team mascot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I know it's real, but the whole Mighty Ducks cartoon sounds more like a fake internet rumor, like the woman Street Shark, than an actual show that actually aired on television.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Most of the 90s era TMNT imitators are like that. It's not even the weirdest one conceptually.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Schwarzwald posted:

I know it's real, but the whole Mighty Ducks cartoon sounds more like a fake internet rumor, like the woman Street Shark, than an actual show that actually aired on television.

The '90s were a very strange time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Now read it in a Donald Duck voice.