Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

kupachek posted:

Makes sense though when you consider you're otherwise referring to someone as a poo poo/toilet tenant.

they don't pronounce lieutenant as "kupachek's mum"

edit: I don't love trump it was just about the sex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why the french determined so much of the world's military culture

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mu Zeta posted:

Y'see, there's this guy called Napoleon...

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

they don't pronounce lieutenant as "kupachek's mum"

edit: I don't love trump it was just about the sex

Latrine duty stinks. Third season of Tour of Duty has a bit where one of the main characters was burning the buckets as punishment, filthy rag over his mouth. Cracked me up every time.

So, Ivanka, or Tiffany?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Probably because the French are historically good at war and the modern idea of them being pussies isn't really based on anything other than pop culture

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
That and "Hey, George W, let's wait for the weapons inspectors to finish" became "THOSE FRENCHIES SURRENDERED TO THE TALIBAN"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

Probably because the French are historically good at war and the modern idea of them being pussies isn't really based on anything other than pop culture

Losing a million men in WW1, then getting curb stomped in WW2, and following that up with bloody uprisings in their colonies made the French rethink patriotic bloodlust. Even the U.S. had a multi-decade change of heart after losing just 58k men in Vietnam.

The French are still mean motherfuckers though. They just don't do it while waving flags and singing songs about liberté.

EDIT: the Italians on the other hand...

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Oct 9, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
France surrendered quickly in WW2 pretty much because they really hadn't anywhere near fully recovered from WW1, last I remember.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Also tanks

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Inescapable Duck posted:

France surrendered quickly in WW2 pretty much because they really hadn't anywhere near fully recovered from WW1, last I remember.

They were dumb. They spent all their money on fortified emplacements that were strong as gently caress except they can't move.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I read once that France was by some measures the dominant military power in Europe for the better part of one thousand years (from Charlemagne up to the Franco-Prussian War, I believe). Probably a bit of an exaggeration but possibly not 100% unmerited.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I learned everything I know from The Simpsons and they called the French cheese-eating surrender monkeys

a surprisingly redpilled take from the normally Liberal writers

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Inescapable Duck posted:

By almost every account the French had more men, better tanks, and a stronger army than the Germans. Plus they had the British to help them out. The Germans had better tactics, were more aggressive, and no qualms about invading neutral countries to get to the French.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I learned everything I know from The Simpsons and they called the French cheese-eating surrender monkeys

There are some uncomfortable truths about normally liberal writers.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
This is what I know about France as a military power:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt-2iux-uRU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I stand corrected, there. Also the line came from Groundskeeper Willie, and is ironic given apparently the Scottish and French have a history of getting along. (probably mutually bitching about the English)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Krispy Wafer posted:

By almost every account the French had more men, better tanks, and a stronger army than the Germans. Plus they had the British to help them out. The Germans had better tactics, were more aggressive, and no qualms about invading neutral countries to get to the French.

Well, how could they have foreseen that the Germans would go through Belgium?

There's a saying down in Texas - I know it's Tennessee - fool me once, shame on... you. Fool me twice... ... ... I won't get fooled again.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Inescapable Duck posted:

I stand corrected, there. Also the line came from Groundskeeper Willie, and is ironic given apparently the Scottish and French have a history of getting along. (probably mutually bitching about the English)

I got annoyed at the Joan of Arc episode where Willie was leading the English army. Scotland was allied with France! :mad:

e: obviously that whole season and every one after it is low hanging fruit for this thread

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Krispy Wafer posted:

I feel like Baby Boomers and the Greatest Generation retro-conned a lot of terrible stuff to make the past look more Ozzie and Harriet. Lolita was titillating because the title character was 12, which is as young as you can get and have her still be a woman. Would anyone have even cared if she was 14?

12 isn't womanhood by a long shot and the book was titillating because it was written to make you sympathize with a monster and then be horrified that you're doing it (that last part doesn't always work since people have messed-up brains)

Infyrno posted:

There was a fairly recent SVU episode
Almost every SVU episode I've ever seen is incredibly uncomfortable and awful in some way, but not because they've made you sympathize with a terrible predator. The situations are just so hosed up and clearly done to get a reaction from the audience and have the characters get traumatized every episode. It seems so different from the original L&O where there was relatively little emphasis given to characters' personal involvement and a lot of the trauma would have been from seeing the endless parade of dead bodies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

James Bond made more sense after learning he was calling Judi Dench “ma’am”, not “mum”
On topic: James Bond raped Pussy Galore straight.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Actually, that would be a good idea. I can think of a song or two that would be rendered obsolete by modern technology.
A song by a rap group at my school had the lines "Baby you and me are like the World Trade Center, I'm taller than you 'cause you got bombed by some rear end in a top hat." This was summer of 2001.

It was a really good song

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
James Bond didn't rape Pussy Galore

Goldfinger told her to gently caress him to keep him happy

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read once that France was by some measures the dominant military power in Europe for the better part of one thousand years (from Charlemagne up to the Franco-Prussian War, I believe). Probably a bit of an exaggeration but possibly not 100% unmerited.

This is a reasonable assessment. It's not wholly true in some video game power rankings sense, and the ability to project power was a lot more limited before the colonial era which makes absolute comparisons difficult (like through most of the 15th and 16th centuries the Ottomans had probably the best military on earth, but that's meaningless if you're Britain or Denmark or whoever), but there's basically never been a time since France existed as a concept where France's military power didn't matter. Even in WW2, Germany attacked France so early on because they saw knocking France out of the war quickly as the key to success.

The modern French military is involved in poo poo all over the world too, they only get forgotten because the US is so visible and because people can barely name any African countries let alone realise that France hasn't ever quite let go of its colonies.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ein cooler Typ posted:

James Bond didn't rape Pussy Galore

Goldfinger told her to gently caress him to keep him happy
Revised version: James hosed the lesbian out of Pussy Galore in an extremely upsetting scene.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

France assumed from the start that Germany would attack through Belgium--it was considered a feature, not a bug. The wall was supposed to funnel the Germans onto a narrower front where the French would know they were coming and wouldn't have to worry about being outflanked.

The critical weakness was that the French planners wildly overestimated the effectiveness of natural barriers around the border--they assumed that the rivers and forests around the corner of France/Belgium/Germany would make a mechanized advance far too slow to be tactically viable, so they committed their forces to holding the open spaces along the Belgian border and were completely outflanked when the Germans zoomed right through the undefended forest.

(The French weren't alone in this assumption, either--large segments of German military command thought the plan was unrealistic and suicidal. If they had gotten bogged down in the Ardennes the war would have been over before it started.)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The allies were anticipating a strike through Belgium and had the germans not changed plans at the last minute and gone for the ardennes, which even most german generals did not agree with, the germans would’ve driven straight into the top-tier french first army in prepared positions instead of hitting third rate comscripts and bypassing the whole french army and BEF.

Neither the french nor the brits were drooling incompetents, they were outplayed by an inspired strategy that Hitler miraculously approved of. Had Hitler been less of a gambler the allied war plan would’ve come off looking pretty good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Military tactics that did not age well

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

Military tactics that did not age well

1.) cavalry charge

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Krispy Wafer posted:

The French are still mean motherfuckers though.

They're the only European country not (fully) dependent on the USA for military intervention. Not only they make their own vehicles and small arms, but they make their own carriers and their own bombers as well, and the bombs loaded on said bombers. They even had their own nuclear program and made their own nuclear weapons, instead of borrowing American nukes under the NATO sharing agreement. They seem to be great believers in self reliance

Krispy Wafer posted:

They just don't do it while waving flags and singing songs about liberté.

Except on Bastille day of course

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

1.) cavalry charge

2.) Pickett's charge

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Neither the french nor the brits were drooling incompetents, they were outplayed by an inspired strategy that Hitler miraculously approved of. Had Hitler been less of a gambler the allied war plan would’ve come off looking pretty good.

In the long run it worked against the Germans because I'm pretty sure the Battle of France convinced Hitler he was a military genius and he took to overruling officers who knew better but couldn't do anything about it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mu Zeta posted:

They were dumb. They spent all their money on fortified emplacements that were strong as gently caress except they can't move.

Which is kinda amusing, since the Soviets essentially did the same thing at the battle of Kursk and effectively won.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Krispy Wafer posted:

2.) Pickett's charge
When you have one of the commanding generals criticizing the plan before it even happens I think the charge has aged just about as well as it possibly could have.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

NorgLyle posted:

When you have one of the commanding generals criticizing the plan before it even happens I think the charge has aged just about as well as it possibly could have.

Pickett's Charge wasn't really so much outdated tactics as it was a failure of recon/observation and fire support. The Confederates had just pummeled the Union lines with a sustained artillery barrage and thought they'd be walking into a depleted and shattered force. But if I recall correctly, most of the Confederate shells were overshooting Union lines and doing little damage. More tactical hubris rather than tactical obsolescence.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ein cooler Typ posted:

The writers have gone on record that it was meant to be a pithy shot and not really political and I actually believe them because Willie is just meant to be a misanthrope.

They never expected that phrase to maintain the shelf life it did.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ya blouse-wearin poodle walker!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Y'see, there's this guy called Napoleon...

Nap-lean?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

trickybiscuits posted:

A song by a rap group at my school had the lines "Baby you and me are like the World Trade Center, I'm taller than you 'cause you got bombed by some rear end in a top hat." This was summer of 2001.

It was a really good song

that song sounds like poo poo goddamn

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Milo and POTUS posted:

that song sounds like poo poo goddamn

Also, they released it before 9/11 if that timeline is correct.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Also, they released it before 9/11 if that timeline is correct.

They're ripping off biggie anyway but just in case you actually don't know this, the wtc was bombed in 1993

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

LogisticEarth posted:

Pickett's Charge wasn't really so much outdated tactics as it was a failure of recon/observation and fire support. The Confederates had just pummeled the Union lines with a sustained artillery barrage and thought they'd be walking into a depleted and shattered force. But if I recall correctly, most of the Confederate shells were overshooting Union lines and doing little damage. More tactical hubris rather than tactical obsolescence.

This is a way more interesting derail than PYF is usually capable of, please tell me there's a "military tactics that didn't loving work and why" thread

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TheKennedys posted:

This is a way more interesting derail than PYF is usually capable of, please tell me there's a "military tactics that didn't loving work and why" thread

Well there is this

Also IIRC the Union guns deliberately stopped firing to give the Confederates the impression that the bombardment was working, and then opened up again once Pickett's division came out into the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
If I'm allowed to contextualise an episode that I liked from a show that has aged somewhat poorly (in a lot of respects but it still has it's charms) I'd like to say that the Tale of Apartment 214 (from Are You Afraid of the Dark) has actually aged fairly well for a show that is fairly hokey in restrospect, entirely for the way it's plot flows, because while it's a ghost story, it isn't a monster-of-the-week story.

The story starts off like normal, with Stacey moving into a fairly standard apartment in a new neighbourhood, has trouble making friends at school, that old chestnut. She ends up befriending the neighbour in room 214, a painter known as Madeline, and they start hanging out a lot as they are the only friends each other has. Madeline tells Stacey stories of her youth, shows her her paintings, Stacey genuinely is into hanging out with Madeline which is already a nice change from the usual "Kid stuck hanging out with stuffy adult" trope. However, one day Madeline asks something of Stacey, just a little thing - make sure to come over tomorrow, because that is a day that Madeline cannot stand to be alone. Stacey promises, but after school a girl asks her to do something with her, and overjoyed at finally making a new friend at school Stacey agrees, completely forgetting about Madeline. The next day she goes round to Maddy's apartment feeling kind of lovely, but cannot find her. Then late at night, she hears crying from her apartment and goes to investigate, only to find Madeline seriously upset with her, raising her voice to her for the first and only time in the whole episode because she broke her promise, although she's too upset to elucidate so she ends up scaring Stacey off.

The part where it gets interesting is that Stacey returns to the apartment a bit later to find Madeline in a more.. talkative mood and finds out from her that the reason she hates being alone that day is because that was the loneliest day of her life - the day she died. No one came to visit that day, it was just her in her bed, no company and no comfort, so she finds it really hard to be alone that day. When she finds out why she was blown off, she realises that she can't begrudge Stacey having friends among the living, and apologises for her outburst. After a few days thought, Stacey finds a solution that makes everyone happy - she talks her mother into renting room 214 instead, which the Landlord happily gives them at a discounted rate because no one has rented that apartment in years (he knows why, he knows about Madeline and so knows exactly what prompted the decision). This means that Madeline will never be left alone again, Stacey can hang out with her living friends gulit free and the landlord finally gets to offload that bloody room to someone.

Overall it's a really sweet finale, and probably my favourite episode. Sardo the magician is a great character too, but Madeline is my favourite overall. She has the most :3: story. No one gets scared off or exorcised, it's just happily ever after and I love that.