Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Holy loving poo poo.

Trevor is a good dude too, he's fortunate it didn't end worse for the oncoming car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yeah, that's scary.
I've seen tires come off and head across the road, fortunately not mine. So far, the ones I've see missed any cars, but it's an incredibly helpless feeling just watching this bouncing missile wander down the road.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Goddamn.

This is why I check my lug nuts 25 and 100 miles after swapping wheels.

But yeah, when I towed my MJ on a dolly to Indiana and back in 2012? I had no loving idea I even had to check those. I didn't check those hubs till I had put drat near 3000 miles of towing on them. They were full of the nastiest rusty watery buttmud grease I've ever seen.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not to downplay the seriousness off throwing a tire off a vehicle, but lug centric wheels make huge loving racket when the lugs loosen up. Bearings make noticeable amounts of noise when they start to go, not as much as lugs, but noticeable. But these are the ones on the vehicle you drive. I imagine you could miss quite a bit on a trailer before being loud enough to hear.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Not to downplay the seriousness off throwing a tire off a vehicle, but lug centric wheels make huge loving racket when the lugs loosen up. Bearings make noticeable amounts of noise when they start to go, not as much as lugs, but noticeable. But these are the ones on the vehicle you drive. I imagine you could miss quite a bit on a trailer before being loud enough to hear.

Bad bearings also tend to throw off a lot of heat as they're failing. If you check your hub temps every once in a while mid trip, you should get some indication things are about to go sideways.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

um excuse me posted:

Every trailer I've ever towed has sounded like I was dragging a pile of metal stock down the road with no wheels on it, so I've gotten used to ignoring basically any sound they make. Uhaul trailers and the tow dolly I have are LOUD. I doubt I'd even notice the additional clanking and banging if I lost the rubber off one or two tires on a uhaul utility trailer.

Quieter trailers might be a bit different.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

kastein posted:

Every trailer I've ever towed has sounded like I was dragging a pile of metal stock down the road with no wheels on it, so I've gotten used to ignoring basically any sound they make. Uhaul trailers and the tow dolly I have are LOUD. I doubt I'd even notice the additional clanking and banging if I lost the rubber off one or two tires on a uhaul utility trailer.

Quieter trailers might be a bit different.

Hell, with Uhaul you might be dragging a corpse stowed underneath. They might charge extra for the cleanup fee.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Colostomy Bag posted:

While I've forgotten the flare nut once as everyone else, I enjoy flaring, then bending the line...then realizing the flare nut dropped way down and can't make the bend.

This happened to me a few times doing a 5/8" air con flare as the copper pipe goes out of round. Way more times than I forgot the nut, but sucks just as bad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"Support your local police"

With the funds from multiple, repeat tickets, I presume.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

InitialDave posted:

"Support your local police"

With the funds from multiple, repeat tickets, I presume.

It's Alabama. Search your heart for the truth.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Knowing cops and their love of idiot strongmen dictators, the only reason that dude gets pulled over is so they can give him a sloppy wet blowjob. Maybe tickle the taint a little.

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 8, 2017

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Ain't defacing a license plate illegal? But of course, see above.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
They probably pull him over, give a laughing chastisement, maybe a written but useless warning, and send them on their way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like how it appears to have “ALD TR” printed on a sheet of paper in the back window.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

I like how it appears to have “ALD TR” printed on a sheet of paper in the back window.

I guess that was the temp plate. I don't know why he would put in the effort to vandalize his plate but not take the temp plate out of the window.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I guess that was the temp plate. I don't know why he would put in the effort to vandalize his plate but not take the temp plate out of the window.

Look in your heart, you know the reason.

That being he's too loving stupid.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

I didn't know they have Euro size plates in Alabama. Learn something every day :toot:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
http://www.wcvb.com/article/abandoned-sports-car-parked-near-broken-fire-hydrant/12801478

Nice looking s2000 got manhandled by a busted fire hydrant. Thats a pretty hilarious amount of force.

E: i guess he may have just landed that way but it seems like the damage is on the wrong side of the car. Like he hit the hydrant coming from the sidewalk side lol or maybe it just spun a real tight circle after it hit.

DogonCrook fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 9, 2017

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's a funny-lookin' offbrand wrench.

I know its a rod

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That looks like it's got a bit toasty on that big end there.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fermented Tinal posted:

That's a funny-lookin' offbrand wrench.

I know its a rod

I legit thought it was a wrench someone modified to fit somewhere until I scrolled down a bit more. drat.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Some truckie got pulled over. Aside from finding out he was on meth they discovered he's clamped his brakes off.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That... got a bit warm. Holy poo poo.

Also, crappy google translate says:

quote:

efren: motor breakage. is finished a season for us in the 208 rally cup, in which we had to fight against our opponents, and many more things ... gently caress!

daniel: amino efren and to the whole team. you speak very well ... and they all know it. continue working!

(I'm guessing they were using voice recognition and hermano got picked up as amino? hermano would be brother.. mi espanol es muy malo, though)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 9, 2017

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

WebDog posted:

Some truckie got pulled over. Aside from finding out he was on meth they discovered he's clamped his brakes off.

What's the point of doing that?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WebDog posted:

Stereotypes are a thing for a reason.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So he can drift it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

To get there faster, duh.

Seriously though there was probably a leak or something and rather than fix it properly this happened.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It's so you can stand on your brakes and do a burnout. Front wheels stay in place while the back spins.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I suspect he has a leak and his rear brakes were locking up due to it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They said he didn't have front brakes, either.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

They said he didn't have front brakes, either.

Then how'd they pull him over, hmmm?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Then how'd they pull him over, hmmm?
A large butterfly net?

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Blue rock salt on a table on the side of the road.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've got a Transit van on hire this week. Big bugger, rwd, 6 speed manual, 2 litre diesel, a year old and 17k miles. I've only done 75 miles in it by midday today, and the loving thing starts it's second exhaust filter dpf thing cleaning cycle since I picked it up. I'm heading up a dirt track to a site in first gear and stall it (it is really steep and I'm trying not to wheel spin too much and wreck the track). Start it back up and I get this...

Fucks sake, I guess I'll be returning it, but I've got work to do. Keep on up the hill, suddenly it goes haywire and accelerates without any input from me, way past redline. I dip the clutch so I don't crash and it returns to normal.

50 meters later it happens again, by the time I switch the engine off its past 6000 rpm. I get out and there is a sizeable pool of oil on the ground. gently caress. Block seems intact. I've got no phone signal, so gently caress it, let's see if it starts. It runs, it's not pissing oil, but I'm guessing it's utterly gubbed so I start thinking of an exit plan

I manage to get it turned, but don't want it going tits again and shooting me off the hillside so I freewheel back down the track. I get to the bottom, to a main road, it goes mad again, revving to 6,500 rpm at least. I figure if I try driving to phone signal it's going to go fully bang, so I start walking.

I get phone signal, and call out recovery. Guy turns up. In a van. gently caress. I'm going to have to wait for a truck. So the recovery guy starts it up, revs the tits off it, it smokes like a bugger, but despite some warning lights it seems fine. Turns out the oil might have shot out of the dipstick hole. We test drive it for about 45 mins, it keeps trying to do its cleaning cycle, dash is lit up like a tree, but it seems to drive fine, and eventually all but the EML clears. I drive another 100 miles this evening, and despite an EML still being on it seems fine.

TLDR; DPF systems can cause some weird poo poo, but diesel van can survive multiple trips to 6000+ RPM.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

stump posted:

TLDR; DPF systems can cause some weird poo poo, but diesel van can survive multiple trips to 6000+ RPM.

drat, almost sounds like it was going into, and somehow self-correcting diesel runaway. The DPF system on my truck wouldn't try to initiate a regen cycle unless certain operating envelope conditions were met (>certain speed, engine temp, etc.). I remember when Ford first fitted DPF and regens on the super duty's they were able to regen stationary in traffic and literally melt adjacent cars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, if the oil was going wonky, that was probably runaway.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Yeah I think it was trying to runaway. I'm surprised it stopped tbh. Recovery guy reckoned the dipstick wasn't properly in place (it was loose after the incident), might have been causing a lack of back pressure, which might have caused the dpf to go mad.

I'm not entirely sure he believed me about the overrevving thing.

My theory is the exhaust was blocked, which caused the runaway, but I don't have the knowhow to know if that's possible.

Either way it wasn't lacking in power once the smoke had cleared.

stump fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Taking bets on the bearings are well hosed even if it is running.