Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

mr. unhsib posted:

Man, I sprained my ankle August 1st and I still can't play hockey and it suuuuuuuuucks

They're lame and it took me about 5-6 months before things started to feel normal again after a high ankle sprain. Those things suuuuuck. And even today, ~9½ months later it's sore again after maybe possible probably okay yeah I had way too much to drink before last night's game. Ugh I am never doing that again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I define ringer as "dude who skates it past everyone doing fancy poo poo and goes bar down every time he's on the ice".

Which is kind of why i'm tired of playing hockey lately, because every team except ours has like 2 of them. We don't have any because new team.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

They're lame and it took me about 5-6 months before things started to feel normal again after a high ankle sprain. Those things suuuuuck. And even today, ~9½ months later it's sore again after maybe possible probably okay yeah I had way too much to drink before last night's game. Ugh I am never doing that again

I had the same thing, each time I thought it was okay, I'd play a game and then like somewhere in the second period I'd do something to re injure it and take more time off.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

I define ringer as "dude who skates it past everyone doing fancy poo poo and goes bar down every time he's on the ice".

Which is kind of why i'm tired of playing hockey lately, because every team except ours has like 2 of them. We don't have any because new team.

Our team is similar. Some of the guys back in the day, like 20 years ago, were like that. I've found with most of the younger ringers get pissy when you have any contact with them. I tend to bump a bit and it throws them off.

We did a game on the Flyer's ice last night. The team I was on, I was the youngest at 37. The other team had 2 guys easily in their early 20s that out skated us by far. One of the guys was hot doggin' it, even though they were up 6-1. Played a little body on one and threw him off completely, he got very pissy.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

sellouts posted:

This is what I do with the beginners I play with in drop ins.

according to this thread it's not but yeah I think it's a key differentiator between "ringer" and "player better than me"

But idk.

To me a ringer is someone who could move up a division and still be one of the best players.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A ringer is anyone that's better than me and they should gently caress off to done other planet and make me feel better about my play.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

prom candy posted:

To me a ringer is someone who could move up a division and still be one of the best players.

this is tricky when you're in the top division. i usually resort to making fun of how good they are at hockey which probably isn't the most effective chirp

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Re: ringer chat?

If they're beating me/us obviously they're cheating ergo a ringer

Duh

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Right and I got my sense of athletic entitlement because of all the participation trophies I was awarded as a kid.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Ringer is just somebody that is able to take your team apart and the other team would be easily beaten without them.

Eg. Connor McDavid

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Also, wears white gloves, no shoulder pads, chews a mouthguard a la Patrick Kane, and has a visor, preferably tinted.

Oh wait I might be mistaking a ringer with a douchebag ... which are all in the same pool I guess.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Verman posted:

Also, wears white gloves, no shoulder pads, chews a mouthguard a la Patrick Kane, and has a visor, preferably tinted.

Oh wait I might be mistaking a ringer with a douchebag ... which are all in the same pool I guess.

Do you guys actually wear shoulder pads?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
I do. I fall down too much and have taken a couple shots off the sternum & collarbone and was super glad the pad was there.

That being said, I wish I would have bought smaller pads than the ones I originally got a couple years back. The shoulders feel like blinders :shrug:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Stitecin posted:

I wear the cheapest Bauer Supremes, they're pretty light but I'm also a fairly small guy sho plays mid level hockey with people who don't always have the most control on the ice. Pucks happen, sticks happen, collsions happen. Some protection makes me feel slightly better. I don't understand the guys out there in full football pads but I couldn't fathom wearing nothing either.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wear lacrosse shoulder pads. Like Verman said, just enough for what we're doing

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Stitecin posted:

better wear something if you're willing to dive in front of pucks like a real man

falling over because I am not very good hurts dude

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Verman posted:

Some protection makes me feel slightly better. I don't understand the guys out there in full football pads but I couldn't fathom wearing nothing either.

I guess I've never worn them and never regretted it. Might be because I'm coming from playing rugby, but I feel like I could already get hit by a car in my gear and not care. Probably also helps being 6'4" so the random sticks I catch hit me lower. I'm too slow to be in the action enough to catch random sticks.

Speaking of gear, I'm going to spend money on skates when I go back to Minnesota for Thanksgiving. What's the news? Any major new things to be aware of beyond what's covered in the OP?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Get skates that fit and that don't break your budget, whatever it is

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The more money you spend the faster you can go

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

poo poo, I didn't know they were filming me on sunday.

https://i.imgur.com/inTy6NI.gifv

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
During my game on Tuesday night, we were playing a team which ended up being a pretty good match. It was a fast paced game but clear they kept their talent back on D. Two of their guys were built like bulldogs. Short and stocky as all hell but they were ridiculously fast and physical guys. If you challenged them for a puck, you were likely going to get destroyed. They were tough but clean and fun to play against. TJ Oshie's brother plays for them and thankfully he doesn't have the same skill.

One of the forwards though... This guy kept getting in the way of people (on both teams) got incidentally hit a lot, and bitched about anything that ever came into contact with him or made him fall. He's also the kind of guy who all you have to do is touch him and he falls. Skates with his head down, can't stop, cant control himself well. Has a crazy temper. I love playing guys like that.

Our captain gets the puck in our D zone corner, starts to skate behind the net as to start skating the puck through the zone for a breakout. This guy is maybe 5'10/160lbs. Our captain is about 6'2/220 and is skating full speed. As hes turning out from behind the net carrying the puck, this whiny guy literally steps in front of him and stops. Physics will tell you that he lost. He was absolutely murdered and slammed onto the ice. He took a swing at our captain and got a roughing penalty.

Later in the game, he gets a cross checking penalty, followed by what is now my new favorite scenario I've ever seen. He gets called for a crease violation (not a penalty, just a faceoff outside the zone). He looks straight at the ref and says something along the lines of "are you loving serious?" He's been vocal all night long to other players and the refs. The ref points to the box and this guy now gets an unsportsmanlike penalty for bitching about a non penalty crease violation. The best part is that its his third penalty of the game and also results in an ejection. People were so confused and then we started laughing. Even his own team was complaining about this guy after he left. loving priceless.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Anyone still interested in what a "ringer" entails should check out McDavid's second goal from last night against Calgary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLCYvkmKNSw

Habibi fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 5, 2017

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Or Marleau's first.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Meh. Marleau's goal was pretty, but he was given a nice pass moving into the center of the offensive zone. McDavid turned in the archetypal beer league ringer effort - picked up the puck in his own zone, and skated by everyone on the ice with little apparent effort to turn what started as 170' of ice contested by three defenders into a breakaway.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Marleau caught it with the outside of his foot before casually gliding past the net and putting the puck in with zero drama.

(McDavid's skating is insane.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah he's cheat codes right now. He makes professional NHL players look like rec leaguers playing two divisions too high.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

McDavid is the alpha ringer

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Marleau caught it with the outside of his foot before casually gliding past the net and putting the puck in with zero drama.

(McDavid's skating is insane.)

Zero Drama is Marleau's middle name.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Everyone is missing the subtle skill of the whole thing, he snowed the goalie so hard you could barely see the calgary logo. Thats like troll level 1000.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Yeah I think that was my favorite part of that goal. That C was basically gone from the ice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I see it as less of a troll and more like the sudden realization he's skating at 25 miles per hour and has to stop right loving now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The return of the NHL is the starkest reminder of how loving bad I am at hockey. Even the biggest bums are just so god drat good. I love it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

prom candy posted:

The return of the NHL is the starkest reminder of how loving bad I am at hockey. Even the biggest bums are just so god drat good. I love it.

I focus a lot more on NHL players' feet now and realize I'll never be able to skate like them if I practiced for a hundred years.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I focus a lot more on NHL players' feet now and realize I'll never be able to skate like them if I practiced for a hundred years.

Have you ever taken a power skating course? I did and it is like a night and day difference in my skating. Thinking of doing another this winter in fact.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Bilirubin posted:

Have you ever taken a power skating course? I did and it is like a night and day difference in my skating. Thinking of doing another this winter in fact.

I really need to find one of those up here. I can not get my brain to do a proper, continuous mohawk. My left foot wants to turn in into backskate and I can't seem to break myself of that.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Played against a ringer last night that was bouncing the puck on his stick in the air while blowing by me like the cowboy dude in D2 mighty ducks

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

drizzle posted:

Played against a ringer last night that was bouncing the puck on his stick in the air while blowing by me like the cowboy dude in D2 mighty ducks

You should have lassoed his rear end.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which team?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Team loft, pretty sure he's new this year he's got pink laces you'll notice him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We already played them.. didn't notice anyone out of the ordinary. It was a tight game too, we lost 6-5.

Guess he wasn't there that night!

Oh gently caress me our game this Sunday is at 10:40. Who the gently caress schedules adult league games at that late on a work night?