Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

The V was fun for the first couple years, but I was falling out of love with it.

Between eating two supercharger belts within 2500 miles (both times was due to a seized Metco idler pulley - Metco sent me a new one after the second belt, but yeah) and the first time the belt wrapped around the crank nose and murdered the front main seal which we only found out as I was putting the car on a trailer to go out to the Virginia City Hill Climb last year... It was constantly eating cats because the tune was too rich and there's no one in Denver that tunes that isn't a scam artist or flake, that it had been run into 3(!) times, twice while I owned it, the paint was hammered - all these things contributed to sending it down the river.

I started looking at wagon sales this spring and figured I would get out while the gettin' was good as I could see that while asking prices were (very) high, not many were transacting anywhere near those inflated prices. I got to drive it for 3 years and 30,000 miles with about a $7k difference between what I bought it and sold it at, even in spite of the accidents, so I consider it a good life experience.

Anyway, good times were had and there will always be another one:

Lots of fun times at Bandimere:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaZ_lrb4NVo&t=15s

The wagon became very popular at VCHC for hoonage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLoFdCfvSc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_w0gn04aTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS712Z0a9-A

It went through ... a lot... of tires:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfxIwfxakI

Dyno run that would ultimately lead to eating multiple sets of cats:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vTK80-Ozns

Right after I modded the V vs. my buddy's Hennessey Venom 650R -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oFdINlF23A

Stock on the dyno:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PjiqquLpto

Bonus content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I5QDFV8JO0

Tremek fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SquirrelGrip posted:

if I really wanted I could paint it and sort a proper interior/dash and register it...

But now you're a 240 owner, so

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Larrymer posted:

giant dildo shifter it is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tremek posted:

Anyway, good times were had and there will always be another one...

:3:

Can't ask for much more from a car.

:911:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

SquirrelGrip posted:

I bought a ratty s13 Silvia tonight for cheap because of leaky turbo lines and it looks like it is just a missing washer after getting it home

hotside is off the sr20 and and have gone over the car to work out what it needs to drive and slide already

if I really wanted I could paint it and sort a proper interior/dash and register it, it's a surprisingly straight shell (which I didn't take a picture of)

Larrymer posted:

hell yeah, have fun!

i had been neglecting my obnoxious ratmobile for over a month and finally started tinkering with it again today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUljDXi7j1A

about as rough as usual but was running a lot smoother than i expected tbh

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

We went to Home Depot today and parked.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

KakerMix posted:

Because you didn't have room to take home a full 4x8 sheet of anything like your parking lot mates? :v:

I'm kidding, I like your tiny van fetish.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Thief posted:

hell yeah, have fun!

thats the plan, budget practice missile ftw

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Oh, God, that's so adorable.
It's like a 1/24 scale car in a 1/18 scale world.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darchangel posted:

I really appreciate this. Fond memories of my 1/18 collection sitting on shelves with the odd and embarrassing 1/24 scale tucked in here and there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Why can't it just be a 3/4 scale car or something?

You didn't have to go turbo nerd.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Shrapnig posted:

Sir you are on the Something Awful Forums

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'd park my Odyssey next to it just for the luls. :3:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

I think that you will find I rarely come out of boost.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Darchangel posted:

I think that you will find I rarely come out of boost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

<bottom of car blows off>

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Everyone should have an old turbo'd Nissan somewhere in their life.

16 years old next month and 147 thousand of these are mine:

The A/T light hasn't come on yet because I'd only been driving 30 seconds. Turbine sensor is freaked by everything about the gearbox.

tobu fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 6, 2017

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

angryhampster posted:

$1000? What's wrong with it? Neat car.
The front end has been repainted at some point in its life, and the clear coat is coming off on the hood. Needed a few things since it has 220k miles; I replaced the lower control arms, inner+outer tie rods, front rotors, changed the oil, installed a K&N air filter (for better whooshes), installed an IPD front grill, and used an orbital to polish up the paint. Looks/feels like a different car.

Terrible Robot posted:

Very nice 850R.

A word of warning and advice: If it didn't come with maintenance records explicitly saying that it's been done in the last 15k miles, get the PCV system replaced with new parts. The PCV in these cars likes to clog and get gunk all over the valves, leading to them burning up (bad) or blowing out a seal and dumping all the oil (also bad).
Thanks! Volvos are definitely growing on me.
The previous owner said the PCV was replaced a while ago, but that is next on the list.

angryrobots posted:

I'll add from personal experience to remove/bypass the GOD DAMNED useless low speed resistor on the electric fan circuit.

loving thing will fail open, and you'll still hear the fan cycling so you won't know it's cause it's hitting the (iirc) ~235F high speed fan relay. RIP my head gasket.
Interesting. Great job Swedes! :sweden:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That cleaned up really nice, great job.

The Foz got some new shoes last week. Went from 16" alloys with all-seasons to 15" steelies with A/Ts. I love it, it looks like a Forester should imo. Just need a small brush guard and some Hellas now.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Took a rainy day drive up a mountain. There were some very wet, soggy, unhappy looking people hiking up the road. They gave me a dirty look on my way past. They gave up and looked really jealous when I passed them on the way down. It's a public road, technically, so perfectly legal to drive up.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I should really clean mine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

tobu posted:

Everyone should have an old turbo'd Nissan somewhere in their life.

16 years old next month and 147 thousand of these are mine:

The A/T light hasn't come on yet because I'd only been driving 30 seconds. Turbine sensor is freaked by everything about the gearbox.

Good to know your steering wheel is on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

Between eating two supercharger belts within 2500 miles (both times was due to a seized Metco idler pulley - Metco sent me a new one after the second belt, but yeah) and the first time the belt wrapped around the crank nose and murdered the front main seal which we only found out as I was putting the car on a trailer to go out to the Virginia City Hill Climb last year... It was constantly eating cats because the tune was too rich and there's no one in Denver that tunes that isn't a scam artist or flake, that it had been run into 3(!) times, twice while I owned it, the paint was hammered - all these things contributed to sending it down the river.

Should've come down to Phoenix and had Nic D tune it, but honestly driving a car like that for that long and that little money, who cares.

That squarebody is nice and clean. I'd be tempted to throw a Fitech TBI on there and see how that makes it drive instead of ripping the engine out right away.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Yeah the more I think about it the more likely I am to keep the 454 and do heads/headers/cam/fuel injection and supporting mods, plus a 4L80, and call it good. I want it to run right and for a long time, but it doesn't need to lift a wheel from a dig, and it's fun to keep the original motor in there.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

D C posted:

Good to know your steering wheel is on.

It is always good to know your steering wheel is on so I am glad there is a prominent light on the dash to tell you... but I wish you didn't have to turn on the steering wheel every time you started the car.

That little light actually indicates that the steering wheel mounted shifters are enabled. Before there were paddles there were buttons which work quite well. You shift up and down with your thumbs and can go either up or down on either side of the wheel:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A picture of my box, airing its own tire up.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

These, and other things on this page look very therapeutic.
Love this thread.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Revvik posted:

A picture of my box, airing its own tire up.

Look at Steve Bannon over here.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

chrisgt posted:

Took a rainy day drive up a mountain. There were some very wet, soggy, unhappy looking people hiking up the road. They gave me a dirty look on my way past. They gave up and looked really jealous when I passed them on the way down. It's a public road, technically, so perfectly legal to drive up.

Exposed bedrock is my favourite driving surface. I gotta go find some.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!
Since everyone seems to adore the new Ridgeline I thought I'd share that I picked one up. I like it but then again my taste in vehicles is pretty poor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why would you not get a black tent? :argh:

Nice looking truck.

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

Cage posted:

Why would you not get a black tent? :argh:

Nice looking truck.

Thanks! Good point and I was just lazy and got the Honda made tent since I figured it would probably fit/work properly. My daughter loves the tent although it is used more as a play area than an actual tent.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Theonlydk posted:

Since everyone seems to adore the new Ridgeline I thought I'd share that I picked one up. I like it but then again my taste in vehicles is pretty poor.

With the black strap from the tent right behind the cab it almost looks like a real truck.

Seriously though, that looks way better than the first gen by at least 10x.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
How long is the bed+tailgate on that? Doesn't look long enough for a 6' person to lay down in, or does the Ridgeline open up into the back of the cab like the Chevy Avalanche did?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I like them if only because they're the closest we'll get to a ute

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!

davebo posted:

How long is the bed+tailgate on that? Doesn't look long enough for a 6' person to lay down in, or does the Ridgeline open up into the back of the cab like the Chevy Avalanche did?

It is fairly small at 5 feet 3 inches long with the tailgate up and 7 feet long with the tail gate down (comparable to the standard bed in a 4 door Tacoma, Frontier, and Colorado). I'm just shy of 6 feet tall and was able to lay down comfortably in it. The back of the cab does not open up to allow more length but there is an in bed storage locker that is waterproof (7.3 cubic feet).

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Nice looking Ridgeline. Good work.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Is that the green hell?