Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My main memory of Are You Afraid of the Dark is that I wasn't allowed to watch it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always felt it had strong concepts even when the execution was subpar. The ghost in the swimming pool hosed me up as a kid, it was all matted red hair and looked just awful (in a good way), and there was a cool episode with a girl who sucks at chemistry meeting a ghost who did the same 30 years earlier, who died during a practical test because the teacher failed to notice that the equipment was incredibly faulty. It's got a strong theme of history repeating itself as the "modern" (90s) girl almost dies the same way.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

trickybiscuits posted:

It was a really good song

In 1976, the R&B family act, The Sylvers, had a big hit with "Hot Line". A song about a guy trying to telephone his girlfriend.

Sample lyrics:

Stop all the calls in the world
Till I catch you, girl
Catch you at home
I asked the CIA
They said it was ok, to use their private phone
Oh, baby, baby

and:

Baby, where are you
Here am I
Should I get in touch with the FBI
I know my call will be accepted
There's no chance of bein' disconnected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErU8Lo2WcO4

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I always felt it had strong concepts even when the execution was subpar.

prob true to an extent, there's an episode that was explicitly cited by Shyamalan as a major source of inspiration for the sixth sense - so it gave us that at least

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh please, Shyamalan was totally a Goosebumps kid, I bet his parents never let him watch Are You Afraid of the Dark until he was 35.

although if that's true that's a cute story.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:46 on Oct 9, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh please, Shyamalan was totally a Goosebumps kid, I bet his parents never let him watch Are You Afraid of the Dark until he was 35.

although if that's true that's a cute story.

unfortunately, i just remembered that it's not since Shyamalan recently denied ever having seen that show at all even tho that bit of trivia is all over imdb, m night's fan site, etc

that just confirms him for gooflumps then

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well there is this

Also IIRC the Union guns deliberately stopped firing to give the Confederates the impression that the bombardment was working, and then opened up again once Pickett's division came out into the open.
Even so, the idea of marching 15,000 men nearly a mile uphill into an entrenched enemy position seems like the kind of thing that should have been kicked around a little more in the planning stage.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

BioEnchanted posted:

If I'm allowed to contextualise an episode that I liked from a show that has aged somewhat poorly (in a lot of respects but it still has it's charms) I'd like to say that the Tale of Apartment 214 (from Are You Afraid of the Dark) has actually aged fairly well for a show that is fairly hokey in restrospect, entirely for the way it's plot flows, because while it's a ghost story, it isn't a monster-of-the-week story.

The story starts off like normal, with Stacey moving into a fairly standard apartment in a new neighbourhood, has trouble making friends at school, that old chestnut. She ends up befriending the neighbour in room 214, a painter known as Madeline, and they start hanging out a lot as they are the only friends each other has. Madeline tells Stacey stories of her youth, shows her her paintings, Stacey genuinely is into hanging out with Madeline which is already a nice change from the usual "Kid stuck hanging out with stuffy adult" trope. However, one day Madeline asks something of Stacey, just a little thing - make sure to come over tomorrow, because that is a day that Madeline cannot stand to be alone. Stacey promises, but after school a girl asks her to do something with her, and overjoyed at finally making a new friend at school Stacey agrees, completely forgetting about Madeline. The next day she goes round to Maddy's apartment feeling kind of lovely, but cannot find her. Then late at night, she hears crying from her apartment and goes to investigate, only to find Madeline seriously upset with her, raising her voice to her for the first and only time in the whole episode because she broke her promise, although she's too upset to elucidate so she ends up scaring Stacey off.

The part where it gets interesting is that Stacey returns to the apartment a bit later to find Madeline in a more.. talkative mood and finds out from her that the reason she hates being alone that day is because that was the loneliest day of her life - the day she died. No one came to visit that day, it was just her in her bed, no company and no comfort, so she finds it really hard to be alone that day. When she finds out why she was blown off, she realises that she can't begrudge Stacey having friends among the living, and apologises for her outburst. After a few days thought, Stacey finds a solution that makes everyone happy - she talks her mother into renting room 214 instead, which the Landlord happily gives them at a discounted rate because no one has rented that apartment in years (he knows why, he knows about Madeline and so knows exactly what prompted the decision). This means that Madeline will never be left alone again, Stacey can hang out with her living friends gulit free and the landlord finally gets to offload that bloody room to someone.

Overall it's a really sweet finale, and probably my favourite episode. Sardo the magician is a great character too, but Madeline is my favourite overall. She has the most :3: story. No one gets scared off or exorcised, it's just happily ever after and I love that.

But why didn't Stacey rent the cheap apartment next door in the first place? :(

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

eating only apples posted:

But why didn't Stacey rent the cheap apartment next door in the first place? :(

You go look at two flats and can't see a difference, but one's much cheaper than the other and the landlord won't give a straight answer about why. Which do you rent?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

hard counter posted:

unfortunately, i just remembered that it's not since Shyamalan recently denied ever having seen that show at all even tho that bit of trivia is all over imdb, m night's fan site, etc

drat, what a twist

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

You go look at two flats and can't see a difference, but one's much cheaper than the other and the landlord won't give a straight answer about why. Which do you rent?

If you're the landlord and this is the position you're choosing to take, why even bother attempting to sell the ghost girl apartment at a different price in the first place? Wouldn't that just draw attention to an issue you're obviously trying to avoid?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
New entry for this topic.

Star Trek Discovery just name dropped Elon Musk as a scientific legend of the 21st century. You know, Elon Musk the business marketer who knows sweet buggery about actual engineering and science.

poo poo show anyway.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

purple death ray posted:

They're ripping off biggie anyway but just in case you actually don't know this, the wtc was bombed in 1993

:doh:

Goddammit. I don't know if says more about me or this horrible excuse for a country that I completely blocked that out in the wake of all the other terrible things that have happened in the 24 years since then.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Nutsngum posted:

Star Trek Discovery just name dropped Elon Musk as a scientific legend of the 21st century. You know, Elon Musk the business marketer who knows sweet buggery about actual engineering and science.

poo poo show anyway.

He plays the orchestra.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the long run it worked against the Germans because I'm pretty sure the Battle of France convinced Hitler he was a military genius and he took to overruling officers who knew better but couldn't do anything about it.

Nah, the German military were all-in on Hitler after the defeat of Poland and France in less than a year and were fully on board with invading the USSR. It was only after stuff started going bad and after the war that surviving German generals started scapegoating Hitler as being the cause of all the problems.

Nutsngum posted:

poo poo show anyway.

maybe its some other Elon Musk

MikeCrotch has a new favorite as of 15:25 on Oct 10, 2017

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

maybe its some other Elon Musk

He was a great scientist like Albert Einstein, Albert Einstein (no relation) and Vulcan Albert Einstein.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nutsngum posted:

poo poo show anyway.

The internet has been obsessed over this guy lately and I just don't get it. Where did it come from? People are treating him like he's some sort of techno jesus who will personally deliver mankind unto a scifi utopia.

He's the one with the dumb AI conspiracy theories too isn't he? Help, computers are gonna take over the world and only mister moneybags can save us :roboluv:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

The internet has been obsessed over this guy lately and I just don't get it. Where did it come from? People are treating him like he's some sort of techno jesus who will personally deliver mankind unto a scifi utopia.

He's the one with the dumb AI conspiracy theories too isn't he? Help, computers are gonna take over the world and only mister moneybags can save us :roboluv:

Probably a Steve Jobs thing. He's marketing and vision and can raise money to get stuff done. He may have had poo poo all to do with the technical side of launching a rocket and then landing that rocket on a drone barge in the middle of the ocean, but he got the people together to make it happen.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Hey, look at Edison's reputation, the popular view of the future ain't necessarily the truth.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Nerds worship consumer technology, literally - some silicon valley guy just launched an actual religion based on it - while willfully ignoring the effects of that technology on society and the impact of the consumerism on the lives of the less fortunate, while simultaneously looking down their noses at ordinary religious beliefs and still claiming all of their decisions are based in cold logic and reason.

Also his company is named after Nikola Tesla and you better believe nerds love that guy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Teslas are cool, SpaceX is exciting, hyperloop etc all look great - but Elon Musk strikes me as a sleaze. The guy's got a messiah complex and and ego the size of his bank balance. The stuff about his plastic surgery and ex-wife seems like hitpieces, but that anti-union stance is pretty disgusting.

No one should trust, let alone worship the rich. Would Elon Musk do any of this stuff if it didn't make him money, or grant him power?

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Californication has an episode from 2007 about the word LOL. The main character hates his girlfriend saying it out loud, and thinks it's contributing to people becoming dumber.

It's weird seeing David Duchovny use the words human being and nig-nog, even in a jokey context.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
As doofy as Musk can be, I think he does a great job of taking lofty goals which would otherwise seem ridiculous and actually communicating that no, we can do this, right now. Who Killed The Electric Car came out eleven years ago and was effectively an elegy for the entire concept then Musk comes along and (surely not by his lonesome) ushers in the age of Tesla, etc.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Your Computer posted:

That's Elizier Yudkowski, who thinks you should give him money so his Harry Potter fan fiction can save the world.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Brofessor Slayton posted:

He was a great scientist like Albert Einstein, Albert Einstein (no relation) and Vulcan Albert Einstein.

I remember being kinda blown away learning that one of Germany's leading music critics in the 1920-30s was Alfred Einstein.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's Elizier Yudkowski, who thinks you should give him money so his Harry Potter fan fiction can save the world.

No, Musk is one of those people too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Roko's Basilisk is literally just nerds re-inventing religion.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

SEX BURRITO posted:

Californication has an episode from 2007 about the word LOL. The main character hates his girlfriend saying it out loud, and thinks it's contributing to people becoming dumber.

To be fair, that's not a wrong opinion... :corsair:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
All the episodes of TV shows with people using Windows phones and saying "I'll Bing it!" when they need to look something up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

evobatman posted:

All the episodes of TV shows with people using Windows phones and saying "I'll Bing it!" when they need to look something up.

They didn't age poorly, that has and will always sound dumb.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

evobatman posted:

Gossip Girl was probably the most product placement-y show ever, with so many awful examples. But the most embarrassing one is that everyone has windows phones and tablets, and are always looking things up on Bing. This was in the era where no teenager would be seen dead with anything but an iPhone.

The constant Vitamin Water placements really date the show too. I haven't seen anyone drink that crap in years.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

King's 11-22-63 audiobook had an alright reader, until he had to do the lady voices and then it sounded worse than a guy in a dress pretending to be a woman. And then the sex scenes started and I had to just skip ahead 2 or 3 minutes. I probably missed something important about Kennedy.

There are plenty of narrators who can do a lady voice. Usually it involves not actually trying to make yourself sound like a lady, because that never works - unless you're David Sedaris.

the lady and I listened to the entirety of it on a long road trip. holy poo poo the sex scenes were awkward

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Tiggum posted:

They didn't age poorly, that has and will always sound dumb.

Jay Leno's short-lived and critically-roasted The Jay Leno Show was, among many, many, other things, mocked hard for so transparently taking Microsoft placement money and trying to make "binging it" into an actual Thing People Said in one of his fun little segments:

ha ha hee hee

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Elon Musk wants to solve the world's problems, but only in such a way that he gets to be in charge at the end. Same deal as Zuckerberg simultaneously talking about Universal Basic Income while saying the world needs to get ready for trillionaires.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

MikeCrotch posted:

Elon Musk wants to solve the world's problems, but only in such a way that he gets to be in charge at the end. Same deal as Zuckerberg simultaneously talking about Universal Basic Income while saying the world needs to get ready for trillionaires.

I might be ready for trillionaires, how do they taste?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MikeCrotch posted:

Elon Musk wants to solve the world's problems, but only in such a way that he gets to be in charge at the end.

I believe the word you're looking for is "visionary" :smug: :smug: :smug:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Visionaries was a cool cartoon. I had the bear guy and the wolf guy.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

My problem with Musk is that he thinks things like space travel and electric cars are essentially solved problems that just need the right free-market libertard like him to throw enough money at them and then he can bask in glory forever. He's trying to buy his way to greatness. And idiot nerds buy into it 100% because they worship shitheads like Steve Jobs.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

well why not posted:

Teslas are cool, SpaceX is exciting, hyperloop etc all look great - but Elon Musk strikes me as a sleaze. The guy's got a messiah complex and and ego the size of his bank balance. The stuff about his plastic surgery and ex-wife seems like hitpieces, but that anti-union stance is pretty disgusting.

No one should trust, let alone worship the rich. Would Elon Musk do any of this stuff if it didn't make him money, or grant him power?

Considering the Hyperloop looks more like a con job for grant money and getting intellectual property off university teams I would say he is a shifty as gently caress sleazebag.

Seriously any critical analysis of the project brings up rather big engineering issues that has had zero actual research into fixing. Getting undergraduates to build miniature electric cars under the proviso that anything they test is owned by Musk is not solving that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sweevo posted:

My problem with Musk is that he thinks things like space travel and electric cars are essentially solved problems that just need the right free-market libertard like him to throw enough money at them and then he can bask in glory forever. He's trying to buy his way to greatness. And idiot nerds buy into it 100% because they worship shitheads like Steve Jobs.

What he's done best with so far are solved problems that were missing some crazy money, though. It's not like he invented putting people/things into orbit from scratch, NASA, ESA, the Soviet/Russian space organizations, etc, have shown profusely that this could be done. Electric cars came and went in prototype form for decades before Tesla came on the scene. Digging tunnels is not a completely novel enterprise.

The bigger deal would be if SpaceX manages to solve any of the problems involved in sending people into months-long trips outside the loving embrace of the Van Allen belt, which is way more questionable.