Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

sportsgenius86 posted:

Going at Petersen that hard is pretty lovely, but Petersen being so mad about it is insane to me.

a) his apology to the fans for the late start times is ridiculous, because they're starting games at 7 or 8 local time, which is no different than anyone on the East Coast.

b) Being on tv concurrent with Big Ten, ACC, SEC games is NOT going to get more people to watch their games. I can understand the idea that not many people are watching that late at night, but you're going to get far less earlier in the day on the East Coast and the numbers clearly back that up.

Both sides are being idiots here.

Pretty sure most teams have games at like 1 PM which is pretty reasonable for fans and for the players. A 7 PM game ends at like 9 or 10 which sucks pretty hard.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

sportsgenius86 posted:

Going at Petersen that hard is pretty lovely, but Petersen being so mad about it is insane to me.

a) his apology to the fans for the late start times is ridiculous, because they're starting games at 7 or 8 local time, which is no different than anyone on the East Coast.

b) Being on tv concurrent with Big Ten, ACC, SEC games is NOT going to get more people to watch their games. I can understand the idea that not many people are watching that late at night, but you're going to get far less earlier in the day on the East Coast and the numbers clearly back that up.

Both sides are being idiots here.

Visiting students can't just teleport back to their campus once the game's done. Games are frequently followed by 6+ hour bus rides.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EvanTH posted:

Visiting students can't just teleport back to their campus once the game's done. Games are frequently followed by 6+ hour bus rides.

Yeah, Rich Rodriguez called this out too a couple years ago. Said to stop saying it's for the sake of students and athletes when they're arriving back on campus at 5AM.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ffs look what's back

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/917469637033512960

because of

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/917219440487432192

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Goodbye Jemele and Michael. :smith:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:ughh:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

She got suspended because of that?

That's loving insane.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LOL if you think ESPN wasn't going to suspend her for going after the most high-profile owner in the NFL

ESPN will always side with the NFL when one of their own pokes a stick at it

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God loving damnit :smith:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MacheteZombie posted:

ESPN: Be the change you want to be.

Jemele: I encourage change.

ESPN: Don't speak out against your betters pleb.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I guess Jemele thought she was bulletproof after the last statement or something.

But yeah...

MacheteZombie posted:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

In a truly independent newsroom, which is what SportsCenter is supposed to be a part of, nothing would have happened. Of course, ESPN itself would probably argue that its on-air anchors are supposed to be totally, utterly neutral, but that's almost impossible to do in practice.

Also, since the NFL gets to swing its dick around at anything it doesn't like, we get this outcome. I mean, the league has basically had ESPN acting like a servant for years.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What a joke. Also a college football game starting at 7pm pst ends around 10:30-11pm. So it ends at 2am on the east coast. Stanford has a game this Saturday with an 8pm kickoff. It's absurd. That's too late.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The fun part is that this is going to be another PR disaster for ESPN, because they're going to take fire from all sides for either A) not firing her for what she said, or B) suspending her for what she said.

They are led by morons.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

What a joke. Also a college football game starting at 7pm pst ends around 10:30-11pm. So it ends at 2am on the east coast. Stanford has a game this Saturday with an 8pm kickoff. It's absurd. That's too late.

There's not really a good answer here, is the problem. They're either going to be mad about late start times or be mad about being lost in the glut of games in the afternoons and be virtually nonexistent (even moreso) to the east coast, which affects recruiting, etc.

It's not like the west coast teams are the only ones dealing with 8pm starts local time. Lots of teams deal with that multiple times a season. It's just odd to me that Petersen is picking this hill to die on after decades plus of teams dealing with 7 or 8 pm local starts.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How dare she, a sports commentator, comment on sports.

The audacity.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The funny thing is I don't think Petersen ever specified ESPN in his original grievance. Herbie just took it as such and it blew up from there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Marvel just canceled some promo event with a goddamn defense contractor after people flipped out at them. Disney is just full of great loving ideas

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Marvel just canceled some promo event with a goddamn defense contractor after people flipped out at them. Disney is just full of great loving ideas

The picture of Stark Tower as "dream" and Northrop Grumman as "reality" will never stop being funny.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

The fun part is that this is going to be another PR disaster for ESPN, because they're going to take fire from all sides for either A) not firing her for what she said, or B) suspending her for what she said.

They are led by morons.

the only winners out of this are the Hot Take purveyors. Clay Travis can still go on about "MSESPN" and Deadspin can still go on about how ESPN needs to Do Better.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Troy Queef posted:

the only winners out of this are the Hot Take purveyors. Clay Travis can still go on about "MSESPN" and Deadspin can still go on about how ESPN needs to Do Better.

this guy gets it

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

The funny thing is I don't think Petersen ever specified ESPN in his original grievance. Herbie just took it as such and it blew up from there.

I'm sure he's referring to FS1 in that as well.

But ESPN chooses to believe they exist in a vacuum and there's no company man bigger than Herbie.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

She had to know in some capacity what would happen. The two rules they seem to have are you can't trash fellow employees or the NFL.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Niwrad posted:

She had to know in some capacity what would happen. The two rules they seem to have are you can't trash fellow employees or the NFL.

Predictable horseshit is still horseshit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

She literally never said to actually protest though, it was a relatively weak and cliche "protest via capitalism is the best way if you want to do it" that is like the first thing anyone says

https://twitter.com/TheWrap/status/917491782039986176

Also shouts to Michael Smith.

gently caress ESPN.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're so paranoid due to cord cutting that I'm sure they've run a lot of audience analysis and determined they have more to lose by letting Jemele Hill speak than by policing her.

It's sad and wrong, but I'd be very shocked if that wasn't a primary influencer here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/917421938879889408

They were just looking for any loving reason to suspend her

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

She literally never said to actually protest though, it was a relatively weak and cliche "protest via capitalism is the best way if you want to do it" that is like the first thing anyone says

I'm not saying it's right, just that ESPN is going to do whatever the NFL wants and I would almost guarantee that a phone call was put in about that tweet.

I feel like this eventually hurts the NFL as now they've got people on both sides hammering them and at some point advertisers are going to find it's not worth the trouble.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's not really a good answer here, is the problem. They're either going to be mad about late start times or be mad about being lost in the glut of games in the afternoons and be virtually nonexistent (even moreso) to the east coast, which affects recruiting, etc.

It's not like the west coast teams are the only ones dealing with 8pm starts local time. Lots of teams deal with that multiple times a season. It's just odd to me that Petersen is picking this hill to die on after decades plus of teams dealing with 7 or 8 pm local starts.

He not dying on the Hill. He just doesn't like it. Which I think is fair.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/917421938879889408

They were just looking for any loving reason to suspend her

I don't think she should be suspended by any means but this tweet reads a hell of a lot like her attempting to cover her bases.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
personally I don't think the anthem should be played except for like, championship games and maybe the playoffs because its stupid and has now turned into such a loving shitshow , but hey, $$$$$

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tuned into ESPN for 6pm Sportscenter.

Matt Barrie's college Republican face on the screen.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is especially stupid because the only people whining about her Trump comments are literal white supremacists.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

[quote="“FlamingLiberal”" post="“477220185”"]
This is especially stupid because the only people whining about her Trump comments are literal white supremacists.
[/quote]

Nah, your average Trump voter doesn't like it either because even if they don't like what he's been doing in office, you don't want people to think you voted for a white supremacist. They're mad because of how it makes them look, so they just call her a racist because they don't know what else to say, and it fits in the purview of "talking about race divides us, so black people should be quiet."

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

They're so paranoid due to cord cutting that I'm sure they've run a lot of audience analysis and determined they have more to lose by letting Jemele Hill speak than by policing her.

It's sad and wrong, but I'd be very shocked if that wasn't a primary influencer here.

it's funny since i think those who are chord cutting are more likely to agree with her

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now now, there are valid opinions on both sides.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

sportsgenius86 posted:

But cord cutting doesn't work that way?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

But cord cutting doesn't work that way?

I should've clarified that it's a separate issue but probably spurred by the already significant loss of viewers.

Not that people would cut the cord because of this, but that they're so paranoid about numbers now that they're going to make decisions based on what pisses the least amount of their base off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If literally no one watched ESPN tomorrow, they would still get paid from cable fees regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If literally no one watched ESPN tomorrow, they would still get paid from cable fees regardless

not for long