Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

No? If you're talking about the Cade Nua quest, everyone got it in a patch.
It's confusing because we added in a patch that was concurrent with the release of White March Pt. II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Entropy238 posted:

e: Come to think of it I'm probably going to turn on the auto-scaling feature in Pillars 2 so I don't have to worry about this poo poo

My plan is to auto-scale the critical path and leave everything else unscaled so I can curbstomp some side content but also have a challenge for the "real game."

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I like level scaling if done well (so no bandits in daedric armor). Though my ideal system would be one where raw numbers (accuracy, defenses) don't go up at all and levels just give spells/talents etc.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My plan is to auto-scale the critical path and leave everything else unscaled so I can curbstomp some side content but also have a challenge for the "real game."

Most of the good stuff in Pillars 1 was non-critical though – the Dragons, Concelhaut + White March Bounties. I hope the scaling doesn't "lock" places at low levels.

The more I think about it the more I really don't mind level scaling. If I'm artificially restricting where and when I go to places for a challenge I'm more or less playing a de facto level scaled game anyway.

I hope there's more tactical challenges planned for POTD difficulty rather than just all enemies on all difficulties + 15 in extra stats, though it worked well enough in the original I guess. If someone's playing on POTD then there isn't really any justification for a more easy critical path as they're already someone intimately familiar with the system mechanics.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Entropy238 posted:

The more I think about it the more I really don't mind level scaling. If I'm artificially restricting where and when I go to places for a challenge I'm more or less playing a de facto level scaled game anyway.

I disliked TWM2 level scaling because high level monks are loving damage sponge assholes with crazy defense stats. If it wasn't for that experience I'd have kept it on for the subsequent runs.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

I think Rope Kid mentioned that PoE didn't even get proofread; I choose to believe that being rushed is why about half the characters sort of fall flat.

Every time this thread has this conversation, we learn that many (most?) people felt that about half the characters fell flat but then we also learn that no one can agree on which ones are the ones that fell flat. Even thread consensus bad character GM has her defenders. And even objectively good characters like Sagani have their detractors.

This raises the possibility that all of the PoE companions are … good.

In fact, it suggests that maybe one of the tightropes that western RPG writers have to walk is being able to create a variety of companions to appeal to a variety of tastes and players. Which means that a well made game will have significant characters that aren’t for you. It’s actually kind of useful that this be the case, because it makes choosing your party slightly easier if there are a few people you don’t mind leaving at home.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Furism posted:

I disliked TWM2 level scaling because high level monks are loving damage sponge assholes with crazy defense stats. If it wasn't for that experience I'd have kept it on for the subsequent runs.

I used to get frustrated by these guys until I figured out the secret: try not to hurt them until everything else is dead. The gut response is to try and kill them as quickly as possible but if they don't have any wounds they're actually not that much of a threat – lock em' down with Mental Binding, Binding web, slicken etc ... and go for the Priests first then everyone else and THEN the monks.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They should just do Witcher 3-style level upscaling, that was basically the perfect way of dealing with enemy difficulty in an open-ended RPG

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Same but the reverse, sidequests, bestquests.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD

doingitwrong posted:

Every time this thread has this conversation, we learn that many (most?) people felt that about half the characters fell flat but then we also learn that no one can agree on which ones are the ones that fell flat. Even thread consensus bad character GM has her defenders. And even objectively good characters like Sagani have their detractors.

In fact, it suggests that maybe one of the tightropes that western RPG writers have to walk is being able to create a variety of companions to appeal to a variety of tastes and players. Which means that a well made game will have significant characters that aren’t for you. It’s actually kind of useful that this be the case, because it makes choosing your party slightly easier if there are a few people you don’t mind leaving at home.

ydwn is the great unifier

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Well, someone has to do the barnacle-scraping mini-game I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

doingitwrong posted:

But what if I want to bang all the characters

perhaps simultaneously?

even Devil of Caroc?

especially Devil of Caroc

in summary, the five member party limit remains a travesty

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

Ydwin's concept art was cool. The only way it could look like anime is if your mind has been warped by watching too much anime. :colbert:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The Devil is the only bang-able one, which is why she is BronzeGirlfriend.

I would do like a group thing with DrugMonk and SexMidget, but it would need to be a big scene.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd say Pallegina, Aloth and Eder are probably the best looking characters.

Co-incidence they're the ones that made it to the sequel? Probably not.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
All I want to know is if the cloaca question will be answered, and if Tyranny's correspondence system will make it into Deadfire so I can tell Hiravias.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

The Devil is the only bang-able one, which is why she is BronzeGirlfriend.

I would do like a group thing with DrugMonk and SexMidget, but it would need to be a big scene.

For shame! SexMidget is married!

Even if she is down to, you know, party.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I do hope all content scaling is optional forever because one of the things I most look forward to in single player RPGs is that moment when my party can steamroll just about anything.

I realized I'd put off the Endless Paths for way too long in my current playthrough, so I picked up Kana and dipped in there, and it felt strangely great to turn on Party AI and watch my little dudes just go to town on the entire Fampyr level (sometimes I bothered casting Prayer Against Treachery)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

For shame! SexMidget is married!

Even if she is down to, you know, party.

Dude that is clearly MomDwarf you are taking about.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Dude that is clearly MomDwarf you are taking about.

OH you mean Furbang

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

what am i reading

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AriadneThread posted:

what am i reading

People wanna gently caress Hiravias.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I think it's more "Hiravias wants to gently caress everything"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It's really a "not going to memorize how to spell videogame names, also too lazy to look them up" kinda thing.

Also I said I would gently caress alongside not gently caress.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Dick Burglar posted:

I think it's more "Hiravias wants to gently caress everything"

rope kid, which companion in deadfire wants to gently caress everything

and do they have a dedicated subclass

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cheston posted:

"So, a Celebrant, a Ravager, and a Howler walk into a bar . . ."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Cheston posted:

I think there is like a 1% that an game based on the oglaf comics would be any good, but if it was it would be extremely good.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

in summary, the five member party limit remains a travesty

This but unironically. A party member limit's never made much sense to me.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Let me talk to all of the dudes and let them have all barks, but only let me fight with a handful. Is that so wrong? :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Have KOTOR2 style party banter cutscenes take place on the ship imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't like to sexualize PoE's companions.

Well, except Aloth. That's a handsome fella right there.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Or just design your game around that idea, and have all the playable characters fit into one party unit.

Mask of the Betrayer got pretty close to that, you just had to console in one extra slot if you wanted to use everybody at once, at least in the Good version of the party.

It's always been something that's bugged me about the infinity engine games and plillars, there's so many fantastic characters and yet you have to put yourself in a box when making a party.
Obviously, you can swap people out for their quests, or do multiple runs of the game, but otherwise it doesn't really make much logical sense, as far as it being an arbitrary number goes.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

CommissarMega posted:

This but unironically. A party member limit's never made much sense to me.

Allegedly, it makes level design easier

Obsidian folks say it also lets them do fewer, more in-depth companions.

I suspect that once you have multiclassing it's just much easier to balance with five. You can cover roles with five pretty easily, six you can have every class in the party at once.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 10, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Obsidian folks say it also lets them do fewer, more in-depth companions.

I would so prefer a few dozen far more broadly drawn ones, is that idea (having a bunch of "lesser" ncps) still in PoE2?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

bongwizzard posted:

I would so prefer a few dozen far more broadly drawn ones, is that idea (having a bunch of "lesser" ncps) still in PoE2?

Yes, and all of the ones they've shown have great portraits too (including anime babe Ydwin)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Count Uvula posted:

Yes, and all of the ones they've shown have great portraits too (including anime babe Ydwin)

Good! For some reason I care a lot about good portraits!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

bongwizzard posted:

It's really a "not going to memorize how to spell videogame names, also too lazy to look them up" kinda thing.

Also I said I would gently caress alongside not gently caress.

one wrong move and both can happen

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

bongwizzard posted:

Good! For some reason I care a lot about good portraits!

One thing that bothers me about the new watercolor portrait thing is that it'll be way harder to find alternate custom PC portraits, which I really liked the ease of in PoE. I think my guy was from some anime card game.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

One thing that bothers me about the new watercolor portrait thing is that it'll be way harder to find alternate custom PC portraits, which I really liked the ease of in PoE. I think my guy was from some anime card game.

Yea, I never use portrait packs as I get all eye-twitchy if they don't match.

That being said, are there any good portrait packs for PoE1 that match the OG ones without a ton of lovely ones mixed in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PoE's portrait game is strong as gently caress

• Locked thread