Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
That guy sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

Modelo is a mexican beer company owned by the same people (inbev) that own almost all beer in the world (including budweiser).

Constellation Brands owns Modelo in the U.S. so it's through them... not that it matters much

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Ian McCall was released from the UFC

i agree with his sentiment

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nothin' wrong with saying "I don't want to do this any more unless I get paid at least X amount."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
saki is fighting khalil rountree at ufc 219. pretty quick turnaround, cool. i've never seen rountree fight is he any good?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

saki is fighting khalil rountree at ufc 219. pretty quick turnaround, cool. i've never seen rountree fight is he any good?

TUF also-ran from a weak season, and he ain't no Magny.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how good is he at wrestling and how is his cardio?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Skip My Posts posted:

Ehh, he's big and strong and throws savage knees, but he doesn't have a very high ceiling. He loving sucked out loud in the TUF finale fight. You might remember him as the guy who was being ridden for 2.5 rounds who had to tell his mother in the crowd to shut up.

Memento fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 9, 2017

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Skip My Posts posted:

how good is he at wrestling and how is his cardio?

He's a stand and bang guy with big power that's terrible on the ground. His defensive grappling is bad and all of his losses are from being helpless after getting taken down. I've never seen him initiate wrestling, so theoretically he will strike with Saki.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
perfect, maybe one of his cornermen can shut his mom up for him after he gets starched out

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Uncle Creepy on the MMA Hour is saying he's a free agent and looking at taking a fight somewhere that will pay him "what he's worth". For the first part, I thought he retired due to basically having CTE, and for the second part, going 2-3 in your last five and pulling out of poo poo a bunch can't be helping your marketability.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I don't have a problem with any fighter having an assessment of what they are worth and only agreeing to fight for that, in fact I think that's a good principle. In Uncle Creepy's case though I think that number is unrealistic for where he is at in his career with the UFC and it is even less realistic to think he is worth that in any b league.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

I don't have a problem with any fighter having an assessment of what they are worth and only agreeing to fight for that, in fact I think that's a good principle. In Uncle Creepy's case though I think that number is unrealistic for where he is at in his career with the UFC and it is even less realistic to think he is worth that in any b league.

If it was right after the mighty mouse fights, when he actually looked kinda like a top tier fighter, yeah, sure. But we've have a few years to see his ceiling, and it was a lot lower than we thought.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I wonder what a tiny, violent, broken addict is worth on the open market. Good luck to Uncle Creepy.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
How much do you get paid to work full-time as Kadyrov's ottoman

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Kadyrov isn't going to taint his brand by getting involved with McCall.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Triticum Guzzler posted:

give a 125 challenger time to emerge.

lol ok pal

125 is a garbage division that should be trash canned

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Nah 125 is good

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dan Didio posted:

Kadyrov isn't going to taint his brand by getting involved with McCall.

Lol

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Noctone posted:

lol ok pal

125 is a garbage division that should be trash canned

Yeah as evidenced by the terrible flyweight fights over the weekend that included a violent first round knockout and the single most insane armbar ever done in the UFC.

Get that trash out of here, am I right?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

evobatman posted:

Is this a real thing that happened, or are we talking about TJs sexual marketplace value?

I thought I was being pretty blatantly obvious with that post.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
please do not respond to the walmart-brand keven imitator. if you want to bite on flyweight trolls only accept the real thing.

125 is an okay division but it's really suffered from having such a dominant champion, like 185 during silva's reign of terror. they don't do much to build contenders up for a lot of reasons. part of it is having to let guys like Bagautinov and Horiguchi go because they don't want to have guys like Pettis and Borg shut out of contention, but that means Benavidez and Cejudo don't have anyone worth their time to fight and so random 9-2 24 year olds keep getting title shots. I'm not sure if signing a whole bunch of new flyweights and cutting back some of the bottom level guys at 155-185 would help the division or not.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
People forget for a time Silva's challengers included Patrick Cote and Thales Leites because there was no one else

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The closest DJ ever had to a challenger as bad as Cote or Leites is probably Chris Cariaso.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Even as weak as 125 could be said to be (it's tricky for any division with nothing on one side of it) I'm still thinking there hasn't been anything a title challenger as weak as Nate Marquardt, or Thales Leites. Or any perfomances as flat out bizarre as the Damien Maia and Patrick Cote fights. It's sort of weird, the highs of Silva's run (the last second triangle, the seemingly effortless despatching of Okami and Belfort) are so good it's easy to forget the lows.

It's also that someone like Jones benefits from having a whole bunch of former champs to fight, guys who made their own names and had their own runs before he showed up. Makes his accomplishments seem much more impressive. Miocic is kind of enjoying the same thing. Whereas the whole division has come up in Mighty Mouse's shadow.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
And be went up to LHW to fight James Irvin because why not?

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Silva's style is to blame for lovely fights. Counter strikers always look bad against timid opponents. And yeah, LHW and HW look better than other divisions because everyone in the top 15 is 40 and a former champion (except all the 40 year old former LHW champions are dead and the top 15 is a bunch of funny names Keven made up)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lineker and dodson are both top 10 bantams and cejudo and benavidez would easily join them if they moved up. dj has fought genuinely excellent competition and humiliated them. comparing his run to anderson silva in terms of quality of competition is pretty lol, considering anderson's greatest challenge before losing instantly was chael sonnen.

luckily dj is only like 30 and has plenty of time to leave people under no illusions as to how stupidly good he is

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I think they figured out why DC's audio was so lovely all show.

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/917507232425635840

Also, I'm really looking forward to DJ calling out the winner of Cody/TJ and then still being accused of ducking

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Well even Dana said he thinks DJ should add a couple more to his streak now before taking on a superfight so who knows.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Fat Twitter Man posted:

please do not respond to the walmart-brand keven imitator. if you want to bite on flyweight trolls only accept the real thing.

125 is an okay division but it's really suffered from having such a dominant champion, like 185 during silva's reign of terror. they don't do much to build contenders up for a lot of reasons. part of it is having to let guys like Bagautinov and Horiguchi go because they don't want to have guys like Pettis and Borg shut out of contention, but that means Benavidez and Cejudo don't have anyone worth their time to fight and so random 9-2 24 year olds keep getting title shots. I'm not sure if signing a whole bunch of new flyweights and cutting back some of the bottom level guys at 155-185 would help the division or not.

ok rude

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Marching Powder posted:

lineker and dodson are both top 10 bantams and cejudo and benavidez would easily join them if they moved up. dj has fought genuinely excellent competition and humiliated them. comparing his run to anderson silva in terms of quality of competition is pretty lol, considering anderson's greatest challenge before losing instantly was chael sonnen.

luckily dj is only like 30 and has plenty of time to leave people under no illusions as to how stupidly good he is

I agree DJ's run has been way better than GSP or Silva's. I'm disappointed he never managed to fight Lineker.

My question is how his run of McCall-Benavidez-Dodson-Moraga-Benavidez-Bagautinov-Cariaso-Horiguch-Dodson-Cejudo-Elliot-Reis-Borg compares to Aldo running through Swanson-Brown-Faber-Gamburyan-Hominick-Florian-Mendes-Edgar-TKZ-Lamas-Mendes (and Edgar again if you count that). Writing down all the names like that, I think DJ's roster looks quite a bit better. The only guys on his list that aren't really good are Cariaso, Elliot, and Borg, and those guys are better than TKZ and Hominick.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He should fight the winner of Cody/TJ. That poo poo will own

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Skip My Posts posted:

He should fight the winner of Cody/TJ. That poo poo will own

agreed.

Aldo's career kind of got hurt by mostly not having a dominant/popular LW champ during his run and the Pettis fight falling through.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I think it'll come down to when and how DJ loses. The way Aldo lost did a lot to damage his legacy as a great champion.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lloyd Boner posted:

I think it'll come down to when and how DJ loses. The way Aldo lost did a lot to damage his legacy as a great champion.

Take the BW belt, retire at 31, stream video games and provide expert commentary full time, no-argument-GOAT

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Cariaso, Elliot, and Borg, and those guys are better than TKZ and Hominick.

:getout:

Of course you count Frankie again dumbass, he is way better than anyone MM has fought.

I do agree dodson, Benavidez and Cejudo are super good and would be top 10 at bw. Also Cejudo clearly beat Benavidez.

E: gently caress you for saying ray Borg is better than tkz, thats dumb as gently caress dude

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

there is a very real if remote chance that mm and frankie meet at 135 and i want to see that.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
im pickin frankie. and if he loses im gonna say its bc he got old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Do you think Frankie is heading to 135 if he loses to Holloway?

• Locked thread