Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish they kept the classic alien design because the whole point is that it takes on the features of its parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

al-azad posted:

I wish they kept the classic alien design because the whole point is that it takes on the features of its parent.

Well yeah you do lose that aspect, but even the original movie knew not to show the full Alien in bright lights because then it looked like a guy in a suit and it wasn't very scary. For the video games it's a choice between "do we make the Alien scary?" Or "do we preserve one of the interesting visual thematic elements of the film?", and there's game design consequences for either one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just want an Alien game one day that features both the Bull alien and the Gorilla alien from the toyline.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vakal posted:

I just want an Alien game one day that features both the Bull alien and the Gorilla alien from the toyline.

That toy line owned. I want a game where you get the alien queen exposition

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vakal posted:

AvP for the SNES had the gorilla as a boss.

For an ultra repetitive game that only had 2 enemy types, the bosses were real standouts.

Len posted:

That toy line owned. I want a game where you get the alien queen exposition

NECA has been gradually remaking that toy line (and it rules).

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Snake Alien in-game or GTFO.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

Snake Alien in-game or GTFO.

Who own the rights to Predator/ Aliens these days?

They should team up with Capcom to make a Monster Hunter spin off where the Preds seed a planet with alien queens eggs in order to hunt the gently caress out of it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I watched a Let’s Play of Lifeline and visually it looks cool and feels like spiritual sequel to Parasite Eve.

I think it would benefit from a remake and actual controls

al-azad
May 28, 2009

WaltherFeng posted:

I watched a Let’s Play of Lifeline and visually it looks cool and feels like spiritual sequel to Parasite Eve.

I think it would benefit from a remake and actual controls

I think a modern interpretation would best be done in VR. I still would remove player agency, instead having the player act as a second pair of eyes or inhabiting cameras to focus on important objects.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I feel like there was a PC horror game that came out where you had to direct someone in a facility by directing them while watching what they were doing from closed circuit cameras. I just can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

discworld is all I read posted:

I feel like there was a PC horror game that came out where you had to direct someone in a facility by directing them while watching what they were doing from closed circuit cameras. I just can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Obscure 2 had a section of this

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

discworld is all I read posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXperience112 ?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
This is what I was thinking of. Apparently it got a mixed reviews and somehow I bought it on steam at some point....I wonder if it's worth a play. The plot is so ambiguous that I can't figure out if it's got horror elements or not.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember it being fairly interesting except sometimes she'd ignore any lights she can clearly see, but are too far away, so you have to click a slightly closer light. Don't pretend you can't see the light blinking "gently caress you" in morse code down a straight hallway, lady :mad: I might see if I can dig that up and give it another shot though, I remember liking it enough but then I just never got around to playing it again.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Lifeline never came out here in Europe so it probably turned into a bigger thing for me than it actually warranted, so once I got my PS2 chipped for import games it was the first game I bought. I never finished it but what I played of it worked fine despite my heavy Swedish accent, sadly I couldn't get through it because the NTSC->PAL desync in the cutscenes drove me nuts.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Speaking of the Evil Within, the sequel releases on friday. Does anyone know if the pre-order dlc will be unavailable digitally the way it was in the first EW?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Vakal posted:

I had those toys. They were awesome. I can agree with this wholeheartedly.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Speaking of older horror games, I started playing Nocturne(the one with proto-Rayne from Bloodrayne, not the JRPG featuring Dante from the DMC series) and it's old and requires a key for every type of action but it seems pretty interesting. The biggest issue so far is that the main character "Stranger" is a bit too try hard, though it seems partially intentional as someone calls him out on having "the social skills of Atilla the Hun". It's a bit survival horrorish but since you are working for an agency you start of with hundreds of bullets for your independently aiming twin pistols and a recharging solar gun, so it's not really the scariest game to start off, I'm interested to see if it changes later on.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hel posted:

Speaking of older horror games, I started playing Nocturne(the one with proto-Rayne from Bloodrayne, not the JRPG featuring Dante from the DMC series) and it's old and requires a key for every type of action but it seems pretty interesting. The biggest issue so far is that the main character "Stranger" is a bit too try hard, though it seems partially intentional as someone calls him out on having "the social skills of Atilla the Hun". It's a bit survival horrorish but since you are working for an agency you start of with hundreds of bullets for your independently aiming twin pistols and a recharging solar gun, so it's not really the scariest game to start off, I'm interested to see if it changes later on.

I would love to go back and revisit Nocturne sometime. It was too scary for me when I was younger, and even my father still has vivid memories of some of the spooks in that game.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2

9. State of Decay

Once the zombie craze had fully engulfed the world of video games, it felt like a matter of time before someone took on the challenge of an open-world survival sim. It’s the ultimate expression of the zombie mystique, you against the necrotic forces of nature, struggling to survive by your wits and senses. And yet, despite the rise of Grand Theft Auto on one end and Left 4 Dead on the other, the industry simply could not deliver the quintessential zombie survival experience. Dead Rising was as close as they got until State of Decay rose from the wasteland, shambling about in a half-eaten shell of what everyone was hoping they’d get.

You enter this grim world as Marcus, a regular joe just returning to civilization from a camping trip with his pal Ed. The folks milling around the shore they return to take a pointed interest in their flesh, and from there it’s a journey of survival and discovery in a rustic land teeming with the walking dead. Small enclaves of survivors dot the landscape, offering chances to band together, resupply, and push back the zombie hordes. Not everyone wants to cooperate though, and the scattered story missions explore the new power dynamic that has emerged after society got its collective brains eaten.

Functionally, you’re going to find a lot of common ground between State of Decay and Grand Theft Auto. The third person running, climbing, and driving is immediately familiar, as is the clunky melee combat and sticky shooting. You’ll need to resort to bloodying things up often but stealth is an option, with a helpful detection radius painted on your minimap at any given time. Those with plenty of patience can approach the game from a quiet, hands-off approach but for the rest of us, mowing down zombies with pickups and roasting them with molotovs is perfectly acceptable.

There’s a lot of ground to cover in the sprawling valley, with multiple towns and plenty of outlying settlements. Almost every building can be entered and explored for items and resources needed for survival, though not without risk of being surprised by lurking zeds or tipping off the wandering hordes. High vantage points can be used to survey the immediate area and mark points of interest on your map, so if you locate a gun store or a really nice car you can find it again after wandering off. The map itself is extremely detailed and useful for navigating, a plus since the game world itself is a little light on points of interest to guide you.

I mentioned resources earlier, and these will be a large concern of yours for most of the game. Early on you’ll join up with a group of survivors and become responsible for keeping their haven running. That means scavenging for five specific resources such as food and fuel to maintain their stocks as they burn through them each day. These resources are also used to build new parts of camp and upgrade structures to provide new passive and active bonuses to everyone. You’ll be wanting to do this because you control not just one character but a team of them whom you can swap between when one gets hurt or tired. Bonuses can help you build up important stats or recover statuses quicker so you don’t have to do quite so much shuffling about.

Honestly I’m the kind of person who can be happily occupied collecting resources forever, but State of Decay found a way to sour me on it. Your supply stocks aren’t actually consumed very quickly and can last several lengthy days from full. In addition, they have surprisingly low limits so scavenging more than a few crates of each resource at a time is rather pointless. This takes a bit of the draw out of exploring, especially once you’re set with solid weapons, and then managing the rotation of tired survivors just becomes tedious as you whittle away at the story missions all over the map. And here too, there’s not much compelling story to stick with, just little vignettes of life with zombies to justify clearing out another infestation or rummaging for more supplies you probably don’t need.

Once I lost that hook to the core gameplay, other annoyances started to gnaw at my enjoyment. As with most game that feature durability, any weapon that’s not extremely strong will break in minutes and your cars can survive very little punishment. Combat as I mentioned is clunky and awkward, full of canned animations and stiff attacks. You’ll encounter plenty of little glitches as well, with zombies clipping through walls, vibrating across flat ground, and getting stuck in open doors. And what does work right isn’t always clearly explained, such as the outpost system and expanding your territory, perhaps because the tutorial extends hours into the game and holds important features back until it feels like dispensing them.

I know I sound pretty hard on the game right now, and that’s because I really started to enjoy State of Decay before the bottom fell out of it. Venturing out at night, casing and clearing houses for supplies, finding survivors in the wilderness to help, all of that appealed immediately despite my zombie fatigue. But none of the foundations go deep enough to make the game really compelling, and once that coat of paint comes off you begin to see how rough and unstable everything is beneath it. I think I’m ready for a good open-world zombie game, and State of Decay is almost there, but something tells me I could be doing better.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Too Shy Guy posted:

State of Decay

I remember getting that on sale and I couldn't even get it to launch. Searching provided no easy solutions except to post your specs in the SoD forums. I refunded it without bothering further. This was the Year One edition. I suspect the jankyness is the game being ported from the Xbox 360 which had its own issues too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hel posted:

I love Nocturne, but I have yet to finish it, it seems like every time I get really into it something happens that keeps me from continuing. If I had one complaint, it's that there's some jumping puzzles that are a bit annoying with the camera angles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've been playing Narcosis and I'm digging it so far. It probably helps that I view the deep ocean as an inherently scary and unsettling environment.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xenomrph posted:

I've been playing Narcosis and I'm digging it so far. It probably helps that I view the deep ocean as an inherently scary and unsettling environment.

Sup buddy, I like the game too. It's almost the entire abyss section of soma expanded into a full game. A little janky but I appreciate the effort they put in when creating this game and environment.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I loved me some State of Decay, hoping the second will have fixed some of the jank that the first ran into.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hel posted:

It's a bit survival horrorish but since you are working for an agency you start of with hundreds of bullets for your independently aiming twin pistols and a recharging solar gun, so it's not really the scariest game to start off, I'm interested to see if it changes later on.

The only "scary" part of Nocturne is the horrible controls that you have to struggle with as a giant-rear end werewolf comes running to one-hit maul you. That game really hasn't aged well, and I'm 90% certain it won't even run on modern computers unless somebody can prove me wrong.

I think I still have my original disks but last I checked, the game won't install on 64-bit systems, let alone Windows 10 64-bit systems.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

King Vidiot posted:

The only "scary" part of Nocturne is the horrible controls that you have to struggle with as a giant-rear end werewolf comes running to one-hit maul you. That game really hasn't aged well, and I'm 90% certain it won't even run on modern computers unless somebody can prove me wrong.

I think I still have my original disks but last I checked, the game won't install on 64-bit systems, let alone Windows 10 64-bit systems.

It definitely can, it can also be a huge pain in the rear end. It hates AMD cards, for one, I've gotten it running on Windows 7 laptop with an Intel chip (the one time the switchable graphics on that thing was helpful) and a Windows 10 with an Nvidia card, both 64-bit. Supposedly you can get DGVoodoo working with it, but I wasn't able to. It still had some graphics glitches, the train that starts episode 2 was pretty notable, but still playable.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Blair Witch 1 is Nocturne light anyway, and less combat intensive, if I recall. Though the tank controls give the last part that old 'gently caress you' feel.

Still, it told you what the Blair Witch was so it was worth it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Doki Doki Literature club! It's a fun game! Try it!

Do not look for any spoilers, and just play it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Morpheus posted:

Didn't lifeline have that fun thing where to be understood the best you have to speak with a thick Japanese accent?

Whaaaaa?

Xenomrph posted:

What's funny is that the adult xenomorphs in the movie 'Aliens' did not have digitigrade legs, but in 'Aliens: Colonial Marines' they did. :v:

I get why they did it, though, and it's the same reason why Alien Isolation (and most games featuring Aliens) did it: it's easier to convey the Aliens as being otherworldly and enhance their nonhuman silhouette with digitigrade legs, as well as mitigating the "guy in a suit" problem - the films could "cheat" it by selective use of lighting and camera angles, something a video game has a much harder time doing. It also makes it easier to put them in "running on walls" poses, and you can vary their height for dramatic effect a lot more easily.

Do any of the Aliens films prior to Covenant feature legs like that? Also were their legs like that in the AVP games? I can't recall.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do any of the Aliens films prior to Covenant feature legs like that? Also were their legs like that in the AVP games? I can't recall.

Xenomrph is best placed to answer in terms of the wider media, but quoting from the Aliens Wiki for the films:

quote:

Lower Body

In Alien and Aliens, the Xenomorphs were plantigrade. In Alien³, the Xenomorph is digitigrade, owing to its quadrupedal host organism (a dog in the theatrical cut, an ox in the extended version).

Alien: Resurrection saw a dramatic redesign from previously-encountered human-spawned breeds: the Xenomorphs that emerged from human hosts in this film walked on digitigrade hind legs in a manner that does not conform with the appearance of previously-seen members of the breed. This is complicated by the fact that the Xenomorphs of the film were spawned by a Queen grown from cells derived from a clone of Ripley, making their genetic heritage muddled at best.

In Alien vs. Predator, the Xenomorphs return to their roots as plantigrade organisms, though their legs are sleeker and more skeletal in appearance, due to the use of computer visuals and hydraulic puppetry, rather than costumes.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So the Amnesia games are out on PS4 and I'm playing Dark Descent. I keep thinking "THIS is the game PC players consider scary?" The PS2 quality graphics don't help but I've just found the game to be more boring and annoying than anything. Welp, there's a monster; gotta crouch facing a wall for awhile. That's pretty much summed up the entire game to the point where I'm at, the dungeons with some chained guy wanting me to bring him something.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Picked up Dead Effect last weekend after reading the review here and since it was $0.99. Decent and short, and I liked a few of the twists, but I get what's going on about the progression scheme and the "save" system was pretty janky. Also didn't like the few occasions early game where you'd start out a level with a horde of zombies right in front of the door. The electric AOE helped there, but needed to be followed up with a succession of headshots.

Also I finally figured out near the end of the game that weapon scrolling in the between-level menus was accomplished by clicking and dragging the mouse, rather than arrow or a/d keys :catbert:

Otherwise it was nice and I'll probably grab Dead Effect 2 when it goes on sale. Then again, after playing Syndrome, my threshold for "playable sci-fi horror" is very low :suicide:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

s.i.r.e. posted:

Whaaaaa?

As mentioned, the ones in Alien3 and Resurrection had digitigrade legs, while the ones in the AvP films did not.
The Alien costumes from the first AvP movie are actually repurposed and repainted 'Alien Resurrection' costumes and are identical from the knees up.

In the AvP games, they had human-style legs in AvP 99, but had digitigrade legs in the other AvP FPS games, as well as AvP Extinction.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Doki Doki Literature club! It's a fun game! Try it!

Do not look for any spoilers, and just play it.

Uh ok? The store page already hints massively that the presentation is a facade, but is the payoff worth it and how much sugary bullshit do you need to wade through to get there?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Mindblast posted:

Uh ok? The store page already hints massively that the presentation is a facade, but is the payoff worth it and how much sugary bullshit do you need to wade through to get there?

Yes and an hour or two, depending on how fast you read.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Mindblast posted:

Speaking as someone who has zero interest in visual novel dating simulators I thought it was neat but also a slog to get to the interesting part. There are definitely going to be people who bounce off it.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

...! posted:

So the Amnesia games are out on PS4 and I'm playing Dark Descent. I keep thinking "THIS is the game PC players consider scary?" The PS2 quality graphics don't help but I've just found the game to be more boring and annoying than anything. Welp, there's a monster; gotta crouch facing a wall for awhile. That's pretty much summed up the entire game to the point where I'm at, the dungeons with some chained guy wanting me to bring him something.
Game definitely suffers from overblown praise by casuals; nothing could live up to that level of hype. That and the whole 'different strokes' thing. Personally, I thought it had some well-done parts at least. SOMA takes it in a much more interesting direction tho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think it's hard to make a truly scary game because you have to anticipate that the player will be guessing how it functions mechanically, like "oh here is an obvious safe room, here's my inventory screen, here's an expository cutscene, nothing bad will happen." That's true of horror films too but in that format you can be more avant garde, you can throw the audience off balance within a shorter runtime. A game that aims to sustain that same level of tension over 8-10 hours with expected breaks in between sessions has to keep upping the ante or establish some consistent threat, "big scary invincible monster" probably being the easiest of these to implement. But the gamey element eventually creeps back in, and once the player figures out their AI patterns, they cease to be a threat and become more annoying than anything. The games I've thought were ~actually scary~ are those that put you in a perpetual state of discomfort, where nothing feels safe, and almost feel exhausting to play.

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
I really enjoyed Amnesia when it came out. Outside of the Penumbra games it was pretty unique and the sanity effects really worked for me - I avoided the monster so aggressively that I never really knew what it looked like, which was to the game's benefit (I didn't see the 'duck' box art until later, and I'm very glad of that).

The plot and setting were always bland (even the name is extremely bland) but the aforementioned elements made up for it. The graphics were never groundbreaking but it was essentially a little indy game at the time of release so there were no great expectations. Playing it now amidst it's countless clones and having heard people gush about it can't help.

I'm not sure about the Soma comparison. I'd say Soma is better in every way bar the integration of the hide-and-seek gameplay. In Amnesia it was the gameplay (sanity effects included) that made it interesting. In Soma that same gameplay mostly gets in the way of everything else.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that Amnesia is a game that has aged exceptionally poorly but it was something special on release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mindblast posted:

You have to slog through a lot of deliberately generic, cliche, anime bullshit and the payoff is both easy to guess well beforehand and only arguably worth it. I guess it just wasn't for me, but I have really no idea why there are so many goons who think its the greatest thing since sliced bread.