Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reddit is the funniest website in the world. But it's like mining for diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The wife and I have just started Atlanta and holy crap I love the writing on this show.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Just picked up The Americans to hold me over in between Star Trek and I'm liking it so far. Some of the exposition is kinda :psyduck: and the characters flip flop back and forth between being in love and hating each other, but it's keeping my attention pretty well.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

The wife and I have just started Atlanta and holy crap I love the writing on this show.

does it have a lot of autotune mumble rappers in skinny jeans?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
None at all so far.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klaaz posted:

You have a distorted view of southern Hiphop, Atlanta has some sick MC's

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Finished Hung and enjoyed it a lot. Is Californication good?

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Gets a bit tiresome after a while, but the first few seasons are good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Finished watching Reilly: Ace of Spies (great show) and now moved on to Man In a Suitcase, which continues the proud ITC tradition of weakish scripts massively carried by the charisma of the lead (in this case Richard Bradford as McGill; compare McGoohan in Danger Man, Moore in The Saint, Wyngarde in Department S and Jason King etc.).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

For about 4 or 5 seasons, sure. It's funny.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Depends how much you like the young girl from The Nanny, as a naked adult.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah, the last two seasons of Californication are incredibly bad, it really felt like they didn't give a poo poo anymore.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The end of season one felt like it was meant to be a series finale. I was very surprised by the direction it has gone going into season two.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

As I recall, the show easily could have stopped four or five times before it did, so just pick one when you're satisfied that you've seen everything it has to offer.

Klaaz posted:

Yeah, the last two seasons of Californication are incredibly bad, it really felt like they didn't give a poo poo anymore.

I feel like they just ran out of things to do with the characters. Actually, I feel like they ran out of things to do with the characters by season four or five, but they did an increasingly bad job of hiding it as the show went on.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Klaaz posted:

Between this and the Spartacus hate you must be the lamest, corniest dude

Onigami Nanashi
Aug 29, 2006
The truth is in here.
I'm making my way through Leverage one last time before Netflix pulls it on November 2. I love this show so goddamn much, I feel like Netflix is ripping away my comfort blanket and I'm cranky about it like a whiny baby afraid of the dark.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Onigami Nanashi posted:

I'm making my way through Leverage one last time before Netflix pulls it on November 2. I love this show so goddamn much, I feel like Netflix is ripping away my comfort blanket and I'm cranky about it like a whiny baby afraid of the dark.
If you can find it you should watch the British show Hustle. It's has a very similar premise but I preferred it over Leverage for 2 main reasons.

The characters of Hustle are all just conmen, they don't have any borderline superpowers like the leverage crew. Their hacking ability is basically limited to creating fake company websites. In one episode part of their plan required lockpicking something quickly, so they found an identical model lock and had one character practice doing it the entire episode while the rest of the team set everything else up.
The second part is the motto of the characters and probably the show "You can't con an honest man". The con in Hustle always relied on the greed, pride, envy or whatever other character flaw drew the Hustle team's attention to them in the first place. There were episodes of Leverage where the team straight up framed the bad guys for crimes they didn't commit.

For content, I'm about to start binging through the British show Hustle again.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Between this and the Spartacus hate you must be the lamest, corniest dude

Dude, i just flicked through your posting history and it's all like if you're a character out of the cartoon sessions of a bad local newspaper white noising about football

why don't you work on that instead, i mean it seems i'm not the first one noticing this

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
For me, I’ve been on a bit of a Power Rangers kick since they put them all on Netflix. I went through MMPR and stalled at Zeo. I have finished Dino Thunder and both Dino Charge seasons. I’m working my way through Lost Galaxy and also watching Zyuranger.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm already three episodes into the second season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a show that a week ago I didn't know existed. It is bloody wonderful. The characters are all well-defined, the pacing is fast and snappy, and unlike a lot of comedies it actually understands that it needs to pack in as many jokes as it can. I'm getting proper LOL moments multiple times per episode and that's what I want from a comedy show.

It's also got a lot of heart, and while I enjoy the snarky banter I really enjoy the times when the characters are there for each other. I would absolutely love to hang out with this cast, in or out of character.

Edit: Stranger Things is back on the 27th, and the new trailer is fricking awesome. Does what a trailer should do, gets you hyped even if you're all in. I can recommend the iOS game that's a tie-in, it's free (proper free), and is a cute retro RPG that is way better than it has any right to be. Just the thing to fill the time in the lead up to S2. I'm about 35% done and it's legit.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Oct 18, 2017

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm already three episodes into the second season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a show that a week ago I didn't know existed. It is bloody wonderful. The characters are all well-defined, the pacing is fast and snappy, and unlike a lot of comedies it actually understands that it needs to pack in as many jokes as it can. I'm getting proper LOL moments multiple times per episode and that's what I want from a comedy show.

It's also got a lot of heart, and while I enjoy the snarky banter I really enjoy the times when the characters are there for each other. I would absolutely love to hang out with this cast, in or out of character.

Yeah it's pretty darn great. It's one of those shows where I will happily watch reruns because it's just so drat fun.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Parkingtigers posted:

Edit: Stranger Things is back on the 27th, and the new trailer is fricking awesome. Does what a trailer should do, gets you hyped even if you're all in. I can recommend the iOS game that's a tie-in, it's free (proper free), and is a cute retro RPG that is way better than it has any right to be. Just the thing to fill the time in the lead up to S2. I'm about 35% done and it's legit.

Seconding this, the game is real fun and a good 5-7 hours long and it's completely free. There's even some hooks for season 2 thrown in there.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Klaaz posted:

Dude, i just flicked through your posting history and it's all like if you're a character out of the cartoon sessions of a bad local newspaper white noising about football

why don't you work on that instead, i mean it seems i'm not the first one noticing this

You sat and read my post history because I made fun of your taste in television? That’s awesome

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I've been working my way through Fortitude on Amazon. I think I'm a couple episodes away from finishing season 2. Overall I've enjoyed it but it's a really bleak, oppressive show, partially because of the story and partially because of the setting. It's also a pretty dense show with a lot going on between various characters so I wouldn't recommend trying to binge it in a weekend or whatever. I kinda liken it to Hannibal without the "whimsy" or dream-like qualities of that show. I definitely enjoyed the first season more, but the 2nd isn't bad either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah it's pretty darn great. It's one of those shows where I will happily watch reruns because it's just so drat fun.

I loved Brooklyn 99, but just sort of stopped watching it sometime in the third season. No reason, just sort of stopped. Has it been just as good as it used to be? Maybe I should pick it back up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its still funny but its got the usual sitcom entropy where the characters get a little broader and the running gags get a little tired. I think it might be pulling back a little this season but its early.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Binged through The Keepers. I like Netflix documentaries, and I suppose one could call this Making a Murderer - Lite. Even though it was pretty good television, the case felt overall a bit weaker than in MaM

The abuse stuff was quite creepy. They made a very good case against the abusers and the church who covered for them, but disappointingly, they never actually ended up describing any conclusive link between the abuse and the murder, other than Jane Doe's memory.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I loved Brooklyn 99, but just sort of stopped watching it sometime in the third season. No reason, just sort of stopped. Has it been just as good as it used to be? Maybe I should pick it back up.

Maybe not as good as its peak, but at least 90% as good.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So I just started Seth MacFarlane's show The Orville. It's a goofy rip of Star Trek. It's basically the banter from A Million Ways to Die in the West with a dash of People of Earth but in space, and a little more serious. In it, Seth plays a starship captain who's life long dream of captaining his own ship is realized.

It feels like the shows premise is an analogy to him always wanting be in a show like Star Trek. It has funny moments, tropey sci-fi moments, and usual Seth MacFarlane humor. It's definitely not for everyone, but if you like his work, and some corny sci-fi, you might like the show a bit.

Not really trying to sell it, bit I thought I just throw it out there as I had no idea it was a thing until yesterday. If it leaned harder into the dopey comedy and didn't take itself as seriously I might like it more, but I'm only one and a half episodes in.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I've started Mindhunters, and Ii don't want to read the show thread because it's yes-spoilers, but it's not very good. The characters are all just reading canned lines off a script with zero emotion? Is that supposed to be a narrative style or somethin?

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
How far in are you? I wasn't really grabbed by the first episode, but it clicked for me after that. Plus some of the scenes with the girlfriend character in the first few episodes are kind of lovely but it gets better IMO>

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Throatwarbler posted:

I've started Mindhunters, and Ii don't want to read the show thread because it's yes-spoilers, but it's not very good. The characters are all just reading canned lines off a script with zero emotion? Is that supposed to be a narrative style or somethin?

If episode 2 doesn't grab you then it's definitely not for you, it keeps getting better but it stays basically the same thing throughout.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The only actor that felt like they were reading canned dialogue to me was the main character’s girlfriend (Hannah Gross). It was distracting.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think I'm halfway through two, I'll give it a few more episodes I guess but man the dialogue is so unatural I don't know what to make of it.

I also watched 6 episodes of The Girlfriend Experience, a ludicrously far fetched story told by Kristen Stewart from the first Twilight movie i.e. a mannequine with no obvious emotions and the glassy eyed stare of a lizard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could you give some examples of this unnatural dialogue?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Retardog posted:

The only actor that felt like they were reading canned dialogue to me was the main character’s girlfriend (Hannah Gross). It was distracting.

Yeah I like her character but her delivery is so flat that it borders on weird.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Why isn't anyone talking about American Vandal? This is so ridiculously hilarious.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

air- posted:

Why isn't anyone talking about American Vandal? This is so ridiculously hilarious.

There's a thread.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I think I'm halfway through two, I'll give it a few more episodes I guess but man the dialogue is so unatural I don't know what to make of it.

I felt this way, intensely, when the girlfriend was introduced; the dialogue and acting in the bar scenes when they meet are unbelievably bad. It gets better over time, if only because the girlfriend plays a smaller role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Just finished the last season of Halt and Catch Fire - was absolutely outstanding. The best finale to anything since Six Feet Under.