Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Welp, I know what I'm throwing at my runners in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Gentoo choked on his beer. He didn't spit it back up. Instead his high collared white polo was suddenly colored dark as his once hidden gills gurgled beer. Kenji suddenly wished he'd let that joke slide.

Ewww.

Prepare for a stealth run, however make sure to purchase enough gear and reloads for when and if things go loud; a prepared runner is an alive runner.

jagadaishio posted:

. . . and 30 nuyen per liter of super lube, I'd say retrieving the grenade hulls would be important if it wasn't physically impossible after deploying the Comedy Zone.

That is ridiculously under-priced for the sheer amount of chaos this can cause.

Hexenritter posted:

I just had a thought... What if the lube is petroleum based? :stare:

That's hell right there

Fun fact, napalm can be both sticky or slippery, depending on how you want to use it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji - Saturday Night October 14th - Afternoon - Victory on the Sound Links and Driving Range bar and grill

Gentoo and Kenji parted ways on good terms and with a plan. Gentoo would stay on call and provide support in the form of a physical distraction and possibly even a rescue if needed. Or he'd just sit back and do nothing for an hour while Kenji stealthily infiltrated and exfiltrated. He didn't leave immediately though and instead stayed at the booth and made a number of phone calls. The white noise generator was still on though so he could talk in peace despite the crowd.

Kenji gave Clever a call. It rang a few times before he picked up.

"Hey Ken. What's up?" said Clever.

"You busy? Trying to gear up for a thing tomorrow."

"What, another one? You trying to get killed? You need to chill out, Ken."

"Yeah, I know, I know," said Kenji.

He did know. However his number two priority, protect moms and the people she cares about, was in effect. She was still in the hospital and probably still out. He'd need to let Edward talk to her soon. Of course couldn't keep her in an assisted living facility forever. These things were expensive, even the lower end ones, and it wouldn't be great, but it would last for the rest of the school year and into the summer. He'd have to get money to keep her going after that but he could collect it slowly and more safely. He didn't have to be a shadowrunner after all. If he developed more contacts and talent like Gentoo he could give up the life and transition to that of a student who moonlighted as a fixer. It'd be difficult being on Blake Island as there was something about the place that killed all but the most local matrix signals. However he could work something out. It might not pay well, but it may be enough. Now for the first time since he'd been created from Edward's mind he really thought about what he wanted out of life. Normally Edward just called him for a few hours here and there every week or so. Money would be tight so Kenji would "wake up" to plumb the depths of the ACHE or some other terrible job. There'd be a fight and Edward would escape leaving Kenji in the lurch to deal with the problem. However something changed when moms ordered Kenji to go to school. Not Edward, who could ignore her or listen at will, but Kenji, and so he'd went to school and stayed in control in what was a total twist of fate. Perhaps it wasn't fair to Edward, but he was incredibly sick and tired of being only there for Edward in order to do his dirty work. Those things which Edward couldn't be bothered to do or was too scared to do were almost always done by Kenji. If the brick was gone and moms was taken care of he could leave. He could ask Clever to protect those who moms cared about and just throw him some money now and again. Clever was excellent at protection after all. That was what he was about. Kenji still wouldn't be able to lie, he'd have to make inquiries about the brick, though in covert ways so as not to tell anyone about it, he stay had to make money and get favors, but he could very well satisfy these conditions as he was right now. It was possible that Kenji could be free. Nothing about his orders ever informed him to the intensity about how he had to follow them. He just couldn't fail and so long as he never failed he would be okay.

Right?

"Hey Ken, you there?" asked Clever.

"Yeah. Sorry. My mind wandered. Mind if I come over in a few hours so we can talk business?" asked Kenji.

"Sure, I'll get some beers and we can talk."

They made their goodbyes and Kenji checked his messages. There were two. One from Octo wondering if he was alive and one from Julian telling him to meet him Monday morning before class. drat. He called Octo and within two rings his matrix avatar, the octopus with a glowing keyboard computer, called a cyberdeck popped up. It waved cheerily with one tentacle.

"You're alive!" cheered Otco. "I worried about you. You didn't call me after your run. Thought you'd caught a bad case of the death or something."

"I've been told I'm too pretty to die," drawled Kenji.

Octo's octopus avatar put two of its tentacles on its "hips" and tapped one tentacle like it was a foot.

"I had to make sure I didn't do all of this for nothing. I even got you an in as a lab tech along with a work order and a coat and a fake ID and everything. You've got back to back runs lined up. That's a bad weekend. Keep me in the loop. I'm supposed to be your partner on this run, remember?" asked Octo.

"Right, sorry. I was working though. Got this new guy, Gentoo. He's..."

"Okay, I don't care how old school cool he thinks he is, I don't work with other hackers and you know that," said Octo, who threw all of his tentacles up into the air in frustration.

"He's..."

"Nope."

"Octo, would you..."

"Nuh uh."

The octopus avatar shook its head and folded all of its arms, its cyberdeck now slung over its back.

"Octo, he's not a..."

"Never gonna happen."

"Not a hacker, Octo, drat," blurted Kenji.

"Oh, why didn't you say so? Guess I won't have to take my ball and go home, huh?"

Kenji suppressed a his anger. Octo seemed to know he'd gotten Kenji's goat and his avatar began to whistle innocently. Small musical notes emerged from it's cartoon mouth.

"He's my backup in case things go bad. If we're lucky we never need him, but he's there so I can make a getaway."

"Is he getting paid out of my share?" asked Octo, warily.

"No. I'm developing him as talent. Thought I'd throw him a milk run to ingratiate myself with him," said Kenji.

"Oh no. Noooo nonono. You said the bad words. The run is cursed now," said Octo.

"gently caress, I did, didn't I?" groused Kenji.

"Well, you broke the seal. You should know better than to say it's a milk run. People drown in milk you know," said Otco, officially.

"People do not drown in milk, Octo."

Octo's avatar tapped on his cybereck for a few seconds and it lit up. It was his working animation.

"In the last fifty years 712 people have drowned in milk," said Octo, as if reading something. "Forty of them all at once. Some huge vat over in Wisconsin about twenty years ago exploded. Kablooey. Drowning in milk. I'm right you're wrong. I can give you their names if you want."

"Don't want."

"Neither do I. It's silly. Anyway, don't screw it up. I got it all planned out. You just listen to me, Kenji and I'll keep you from drowning in milk."

"How thoughtful of you," said Kenji, deadpan.

"Perhaps I'm just full of the...Milk of metahuman kindness!" punned Octo, who laughed up the "sleeve" of one of its tentacles, anime style.

Kenji groaned.

"Anyway, you just read the file on who you're supposed to be and I'll keep subverting their systems. Then we'll get us that sweet, sweet horseshoe crab blood," said Otco, who rubbed all of his tentacles together, then made an "on the other hand" motion with a tentacle. "Who'd have thought we wouldn't be able to synthesize the stuff even all these years later? As a fellow sea creature I feel for the little things, even if they aren't smart like the noble octopus."

"You're not an octopus though," said Kenji.

"How would you know? You didn't even know about people drowning in milk. Nobody knows if you're an octopus on the matrix, Kenji. Even tiny babies know that."

"Bye Octo, see you tomorrow," said Kenji, who sighed.

"Later gator!"

Octo's avatar reached forward with a tentacle and "turned off" the connection.

Kenji turned off his white noise generator, pocketed it and strode out of the golf course restaurant to catch a taxi. He received an email from Octo simply titled "Your role".

CYOA Time

Too tired to go on tonight. However, I'll try something else. How does Kenji feel about Octo? And has he done any speculation at all about who Octo might really be?

The lube grenades are too cool to pass up, but Kenji won't be able to replenish his grenade stocks due to telling Clever on short notice that he needs more. He still has a single flash bang, two DNA chaff grenades, some APDS rounds (neato military rounds, basically) and stickyshock rounds (sticks to someone and shocks them). Instead Octo came through with something to help him with his role and therefor be stealthy.

Rolling to see if we improved our contact relationship with Gentoo. If we'd given him our contacts straight out I would've said it would've went up automatically. However since we didn't part with both his shadowdoc and his fence but instead charged him it would've stayed just business. This way we get a roll. I'm setting the etiquette threshold at three to meet or beat it. Kenji has 12 dice in etiquette. We got four hits on twelve dice which is exactly how the numbers should go on average. Gentoo is now a connection 2 loyalty 3 contact. If we want to push his loyalty higher we're going to have to start actively spending time with him. Getting him up to loyalty 6 as always will be something of a quest as they'll do near anything but die for you, and even then possibly.

I've secretly been rolling dice. Kenji only checked up on moms for all of about fifteen seconds and she wasn't looking good. I rolled his edge and he got a critical success. She didn't get worse/die because we weren't checking up on her and that time has passed. No more rolls needed. Nobody ever mentioned checking back up on her. Congrats thread, you lucked out. That would've been a huge mess for Edward and therefor Kenji. However she's so burnt out that she needs full time care that Kenji really can't provide as he's not the nurturing type.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I fully and totally support Kenji becoming a SS13 janitor with spacelube grenades.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"How would you know? You didn't even know about people drowning in milk. Nobody knows if you're an octopus on the matrix, Kenji. Even tiny babies know that."

Octo, unplug and go outside for awhile. Seriously.

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time

Too tired to go on tonight. However, I'll try something else. How does Kenji feel about Octo? And has he done any speculation at all about who Octo might really be?

I don't think Kenji cares too much as to Octo's real identify; he's a reliable decker contact, they work together well enough, and, Kenji has so much more to worry about right now.

Ice Phisherman posted:

She didn't get worse/die because we weren't checking up on her and that time has passed. No more rolls needed. Nobody ever mentioned checking back up on her. Congrats thread, you lucked out. That would've been a huge mess for Edward and therefor Kenji. However she's so burnt out that she needs full time care that Kenji really can't provide as he's not the nurturing type.

Would checking up on her stop her from dying, should the dice say she took a turn for the worst? Was there anything Kenji could have done to make her better?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

CourValant posted:

I don't think Kenji cares too much as to Octo's real identify; he's a reliable decker contact, they work together well enough, and, Kenji has so much more to worry about right now.

What makes you so sure Octo is a he?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Y'know, I could buy that Octo really is an octopus. Some corp loving around with uplifting near-sapients is hardly out of the question in Shadowrun.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Y'know, I could buy that Octo really is an octopus. Some corp loving around with uplifting near-sapients is hardly out of the question in Shadowrun.

I could definitely see Evo Corp doing this, plus Russia's always given no fucks about international law.

edit: Apparently they're also the first transplanetary corp, they have a base on Mars.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Ares has a Mars base too. EVO are special because they're the only known corp to have a functional (if limited) Mana Sphere on a huge, hydroponics-filled space station.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

jagadaishio posted:

Ares has a Mars base too. EVO are special because they're the only known corp to have a functional (if limited) Mana Sphere on a huge, hydroponics-filled space station.

Yeah I just read that Ares bought NASA. I'm slowly poking through the timeline stuff on wikia and doing that thing where you open a shitload of other tabs and get lost down a rabbit hole for eight hours then realise it's morning.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

There are a ton of space stations housing industry, research, shipping, even long-term habitation. Orbital cities, basically, positioned at Lagrange points, out in the asteroid belt, and so on.

The problem is that Awakened have no powers outside of Earth's atmosphere, so no campaigns go there. They're just background setting information - things to appear on a news scrawl.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

HiHo ChiRho posted:

What makes you so sure Octo is a he?

I'm not actually, I just got lazy with my pronouns last night.

Although, its just a feeling I have; he's nerdy and geeky in all the right ways. While woman can be geeky and nerdy too, they definitely sound and think differently when doing it.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Spencer Reed - Sunday October 15th - Morning - Gaeatronics medical storage warehouse #72

Spencer Reed was a lab tech. Not a particularly good one, but he didn't let other people know about that. No, Spencer Reed padded his resume' to look important and drove a taxi on odd days to make ends meet which did not go on his resume'. Today he was wearing his glasses, lab coat, ID badge and pushing a cart full of medical supplies he had to bring in. Where did he get it? Well, he wasn't quite sure. Maybe he needed some morning coffee. What was important was that he needed to get to work so he could make money. Money was important after all. He might even get a job if he performed his tasks quickly and efficiently and proved himself. What were his tasks? Well he was checking the temperature of randomly chosen medical supplies to make sure they were at the right temperature, each and every one out of each batch. Normally machines would do this, but ever since two years ago when the Gaeatronics system was sabotaged and millions of nuyen in supplies were ruined. Now once a day a tech was supposed to do a physical check to double check the machines. It was an important job, but below his skill. Still, nuyen is nuyen, so he pushed the cart to the Gaeatronics medical storage warehouse #72 through the double doors at 7:05 AM . There he saw a sleepy looking guard who looked like he' just gotten on shift sitting behind a desk. Spencer approached.

"Hello sir," said Spencer, cordially. "I'm a bit late for work. Sorry about that."

The guard nodded and covered a yawn, already bored. He looked like older ork, had salt and pepper hair, more salt than pepper to be honest, had a paunch and was in an old but well maintained grey security guard suit with the Gaeatronics logo on it.

"Sure kid," he said. "Just need to check your ID. Oh, and uh, what've you got in the cart?"

"Just some testing equipment I bring for the job. I have to provide my own. They don't let me touch their stuff yet," said Spencer, sheepishly.

The guard stood up, got out from behind his desk and shifted through the contents in a desultory fashion. It was science stuff. See one testing strip you've seen them all.

"Please be careful. They're expensive," fretted Spencer.

Spencer knew that these were very, very expensive. Not rented from a supply shop at all, no no, and there definitely wasn't a fully automatic submachine gun with a large number of grenades and magical healing cookies at the bottom either. Oh no, that would be silly. Just expensive medical testing equipment.

"Looks in order," said the guard.

"Great, oh, 7:06 now. I really need to get going," said Spencer. "I'm late."

He was going to be very busy after all, and he wasn't early and therefor not on time. He wasn't even on time!

"Yeah, just need to run a security check. drat matrix has been acting funny lately. Just need to run your ID. One moment please," he said, and got back behind his desk.

He tapped a few keys as he ran the check. His brow furrowed and then he tapped some more.

"Huh. That's weird," he said.

He leaned forward, and then looked at the ID. His eyes widened.

"This...This is from last year..." he said. "We replaced all of these. I was the one that shredded them..."

"I...What?" asked Spencer.

"Sir, I'm going to need you to put your hands up right now. Hands in the air where I can see them," said the security guard, now alert.

The mask that was Spencer fell away.

Edward - Sunday October 15th - Morning - Gaeatronics medical storage warehouse #72 - Security checkpoint

"I said hands in the air, sir," growled the guard.

"poo poo, spilled my tea, sorry," panicked Octo in his ear. "Sorry."

His hand was on his gun and he was beginning to rise. Edward as always panicked and let Kenji do the heavy lifting.

Kenji - Sunday October 15th - Morning - Gaeatronics medical storage warehouse #72 - Security checkpoint

Kenji was at the security checkpoint. Not on the rounds or even out of the building with the loot. No, he was at the drat security checkpoint and the guard had his hand on his gun and looked as if he was about to draw. He groaned.

"Forget the last three minutes," ordered Kenji, as he forced magic through his voice.

The guard was suddenly stunned. Confused. Kenji looked with concern at the guard.

"Are you okay?" Kenji asked.

"Yeah um...What?"

"Are you okay? You might be confused."

"I um...Forgot myself for a moment."

The guard, not used to touching his gun, let his hand fall away from it without noticing.

"Can I go now?" asked Kenji, hoping.

"Yeah um...Sure," he said, and whispered to himself, "Must be the new meds."

"I'll just...Go now. Okay?" asked Kenji, warily.

"Yeah. Sure kid, sure."

CYOA Time

Things were going fine until the guard ripped apart our fake ID. We can proceed, but the lab tech persona has melted away and we're on a time limit. We can either scrub the run and leave or continue on and hope for the best. Also, normally Kenji's use of magic would persist for four hours (magic rating times hours), but by expending dust it goes down to four minutes. We currently have seven uses of dust. Staying at five or above makes us look non-magic, or mundane. We need at least one to conceal Kenji's screwed up astral aura.

So here are the two questions:

Do we continue or scrub the run right now? Moms is not getting into an assisted living center unless we get more nuyen. We'd need at least one more job, but there's no way we're getting that done before Sunday. Sasha does want to know about LeBlanc, and internal corporate secrets are highly sought after, but this could potentially blow Kenji's cover if we're not careful.
Do we use dust? Dust becomes inert when we use or lose it. I'll roll randomly to see if a passing spirit or mage spots the use of magic. However using dust negates this check. We have seven uses of dust left.

Let's start the run. Edward spent much of last night preparing for the role, but managed to snag a few lube paint grenades (hahahaha) for the job. He has exactly two magazines of ammo, one APDS for maximum kill and one sticky shock along with armor clothing (lab coat), so it's not as good as his normal armor. We're not purposefully going in heavy so if poo poo goes live we won't be able to last for a long time in an extended firefight. Luckily it's an early Sunday morning run which means that on paper they have the same security, corporations are all about cutting corners so they're not particularly well trained.

Kenji is going in as a lab tech. They're basically the lowest of the low in terms of scientists and often invisible unless the person in charge of them wants someone to do bitch work or yell at. He prepared last night to become Spencer Reed, a freelance lab tech who picks up extra work during crunch times. He rolls disguise plus intuition plus one level of facial sculpt. He gets four hits which he adds onto his excellent acting ability as extra dice for seven hits, which is very close to the maximum that he can get. He is quite disguised and in character with help from the LeBlanc method. Neither Kenji nor Spencer nor Edward know about being a lab tech, but Octo can help them fake it with a delay by telling them what to do. In this case this means using a machine to test samples to make sure they're all at the right temperature.

Octo rolled like a boss and has access to their security network (the node), created a fake ID that will work only locally (rating 2, and they're blown if corporate finds out too early, fake ID's are expensive), placed a work order that lets Kenji get close to where he needs to go and a map. The warehouse security in terms of physical, matrix and astral is good, but not great, and their security spider (the person in charge of the matrix) wasn't alerted due to some excellent rolls and so Octo was only ever opposed by the Gaeatronics security system itself. In a pinch Octo can crash the entire node and bring down all electronic security. That would cause chaos, but it would also mean immediate investigation and Kenji would need to leave immediately with or without the loot. In short, Octo has near totally subverted their system, but that doesn't guarantee success.

"Spencer" is rolling with a gigantic cart full of bullshit medical supplies and uses it to hide his weapons and ammo. He gets a +4 to his roll due to its sheer size for purposes of concealment, but a -2 for all the stuff. He rolls agility plus palming versus the guard's intuition plus perception which is low because these are the Sunday morning guards at the very start of their shift before they've had their coffee. So -1 on their 5 dice roll. Kenji succeeds on his palming test to roll his cart full of weapons and grenades past the guards. Now the guard is going to roll five dice. If he gets more than two hits he's going to challenge them. If he gets more their cover gets blown before they even get in. He gets two hits and spends a little extra time looking at the fake ID and is considering calling Spencer's "boss" to verify, who absolutely did not place the work order. Octo moves in to try and help, but will roll a luck check to see if he's ready to intercept in time. Yeah, no, Octo glitched and can't help.

The guard rolls FIVE HITS ON FIVE DICE :supaburn: and knows that this poo poo is fake. Fake as hell. He's supercop. Cover blown at the front door. He's alone though. Kenji's Spencer Reed persona falls apart, Edward is confused, Octo is panicking and Edward rolls impersonation to slip into Kenji while the man is getting up and fumbling with his sidearm and trying to call in for help. Edward slips into Kenji mode immediately with no fuss with seven dice. Octo explains the situation. Kenji uses commanding voice to make the guard stop. It works. Forget the last three minutes. It works. However, Edward can't slip back into Spencer Reed. That persona would take a lot of time to slip back into and Kenji would have to shift back to Edward. The guard is confused and Kenji is just standing there in a lab coat with a bunch of weapons.

Octo gets his poo poo together and criticals on the guard's security terminal. I was going to say he'd check again, but he's been brain fuckled and everything looks normal. Kenji can proceed, but he can't lie. He can only misdirect. He's decent at stealth and looks the part for impersonation, but that's it.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 10, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Stay on the mission. We can get through this.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time
Do we continue or scrub the run right now?

Scrub the run, do not throw good resources after bad.

We can't protect anyone if we're in jail or dead.

Being impatient and nuyen oriented is what gets people hurt or dead.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Stay on target...

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

Continue on. Now that's we're in, the ID hopefully won't get checked by anyone that observant again. Still, something going dudes do early means we should be ready to abort if something goes too fucky again.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Keep going, dust it up, we need this money to save mama, that's high enough priority

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crossing fingers, let's push forward.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Finally caught up with the thread...

Nothing to contribute to the run so far, but in long-term, we really need to merge Kenji and Edward's personalities. Kenji alone is far too dependent on his rules, and as Edward has thought to himself, just rewriting them could cause Kenji to spiral out of control and not in a regular psychopath way, but more like 'All other objectives accomplished, must gather Dust.' and is so dedicated to that he can't stop to eat.

I think instead of removing objectives, Kenji needs to take a risk here. He needs to ask Edward to write him a couple of new ones. "Help Edward move out of the ACHE and into a proper apartment" "Help Edward Get Therapy and Antidepressants" that kind of thing.

Hell, maybe Kenji can work it back into Objective 2 - He is his mother's protector, and he has to protect himself in order to protect her. And to protect himself, he must protect Edward. And not just protect... but start to heal.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Stay on target...

We're too close!

Stay on target!

edit: Nice suggestions Elfface. I fully support the addition of new directives intended to ease Edward into a better life.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 11, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Scrub the run. I've been in enough CYOA's to know when to get the gently caress out.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Scrub the run We lost our momentum when detective donut IDed us on a mega crit. We can get out clean thanks to Kenji's voice and Octo's skills.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Keep going, we got a bad roll to start it off but not enough to scrub the run. We don't pull this off we're gonna be real hosed trying to take care of moms and also go to school and also stay on top of our lives.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Look, folks, I've had characters I like take a nuke to the face because the audience assumes that the writer won't go ahead and punish gross incompetence. We got made, we need to leave. Staying is asking for trouble since we don't know what might've sensed the magic we just used. We can find another run. Expediency is not worth Kenji's life.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Look, folks, I've had characters I like take a nuke to the face because the audience assumes that the writer won't go ahead and punish gross incompetence. We got made, we need to leave. Staying is asking for trouble since we don't know what might've sensed the magic we just used. We can find another run. Expediency is not worth Kenji's life.

Who's assuming that characters won't face consequences? We didn't get made, we *almost* got made. If anything that's a display of competence. Think of how it'll look if we scamper off now at the first sign of resistance.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I ate way to much Chinese food and booze and had to sleep off my mistake. It was such a lovely mistake. I regret everything. I regret nothing.

Elfface posted:

Finally caught up with the thread...

Nothing to contribute to the run so far, but in long-term, we really need to merge Kenji and Edward's personalities. Kenji alone is far too dependent on his rules, and as Edward has thought to himself, just rewriting them could cause Kenji to spiral out of control and not in a regular psychopath way, but more like 'All other objectives accomplished, must gather Dust.' and is so dedicated to that he can't stop to eat.

I think instead of removing objectives, Kenji needs to take a risk here. He needs to ask Edward to write him a couple of new ones. "Help Edward move out of the ACHE and into a proper apartment" "Help Edward Get Therapy and Antidepressants" that kind of thing.

Hell, maybe Kenji can work it back into Objective 2 - He is his mother's protector, and he has to protect himself in order to protect her. And to protect himself, he must protect Edward. And not just protect... but start to heal.

Welcome to the thread. Glad that you were interested enough to get here. It's a bit of a slog after all. :v:

I will say that integration is possible, but Kenji has no idea how to do it. He's going to have to talk to Edward and they can only talk via indirect methods. That is going to involve risks.

Anyhoo, seven for continuing and three for scrubbing the run. Looks like we keep going forward.

Kenji is going to use one of his last seven charges of dust to reduce the time needed for it dissipate. That leaves him with six left. He can use it once more before he potentially gets made for using magic (his face).

Writing now.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Elfface posted:

He needs to ask Edward to write him a couple of new ones. "Help Edward move out of the ACHE and into a proper apartment" "Help Edward Get Therapy and Antidepressants" that kind of thing.

@Ice: Is this possible? Or would rewriting the rules effectively mean re-imaging Kenji, which Edward can't do anymore?

VanSandman posted:

Look, folks, I've had characters I like take a nuke to the face because the audience assumes that the writer won't go ahead and punish gross incompetence.

:wave: Hi there, friend of Ohone!

Ice Phisherman posted:

I regret everything. I regret nothing.

Its like you're writing for my soul at times. :ocelot: :)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CourValant posted:

@Ice: Is this possible? Or would rewriting the rules effectively mean re-imaging Kenji, which Edward can't do anymore?

He would have to ask.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kenji - Sunday October 15th - Morning - Gaeatronics medical storage warehouse #72

Kenji had a decision to scrub the run or stay on target. Stay or go? Forward or back? He could leave with little consequence right now, but he could also be out in half an hour and a half with what he came for if he stuck to the plan. He snorted softly and a bit of dust dropped onto his tongue. With a small breath of air he pushed the concrete dust of the brick out of his mouth. He knew he couldn't see it, but in the astral one could have seen it shred to tatters the imprint of the magic that was left there. Best not to take chances. He wheeled his cart forward. He never had a choice. He needed to get moms out of the ACHE and away from Mario.

"Okay, Octo, I got made going in. You sure about this?" asked Kenji, quietly.

"Ummm...Ummm...Just a second," said Octo.

Kenji continued to roll his cart while Octo worked. And worked. And worked. He made small fretting noises before he finally sighed.

"Okay, wasn't prepared for that. Sorry. Need to get an AI helper on this next time. Wasn't prepared to get made at the door by some scrub. Man, that's embarrassing. Just did battle with security again. I'm worked deep into their system but it takes time for me to pivot from the little hidey hole in the main node. Do you know where you're going?" asked Octo.

"Not a drat clue," whispered Kenji, angrily. "That was Edward's job."

There was a pregnant pause as Octo took this in.

"Who's Edward?" asked Octo.

Kenji swore. He was getting sloppy.

"No time," whispered Kenji, urgently. "I'm not sure where to go. Lead me. I can't just keep rolling. Do you have the plan?"

"Um...Yeah. Right, I'll pull up the map and plans," said Octo. "I have your circuit that you're supposed to run. It'll take you an hour and within spitting distance of where you need to be. You can't just go there without getting flagged so this is the slow and easy way. Then you just hightail it on out."

"All right, just an hour. Fine," said Kenji.

Kenji got a call on his commlink.

"What's this about?" asked Kenji.

"Oh, I'm routing calls from the fake number to the real one. Spoofing it. You're not a ghost here. People can still contact you otherwise you'd get picked up by security as a rando walking around in a lab coat. It looks like it's Mr. Maples, your "boss"," said Octo.

"All right, monitor the call but say nothing," said Kenji.

Kenji picked up the call.

"Hello Mr. Maples," said Kenji. "What can I do for you today?"

"You're late," grumbled a voice. "You're late and I don't know you. That's not a good way to start your tenure with us, Spencer, even if you're a temp. Especially then. Never forget that you're replaceable. The fact that I'm on the comm having to waste my time with you is costing the company money. I'm docking your pay by half an hour. Never be late again."

"I um...I understand, sir," said Kenji.

Kenji kept moving down the hall, directed in augmented reality by the occasional arrow from Octo.

"Now this work order, I didn't sign off on it, but here it is. There's some overlap with another tech so I'm going to make some switches. I'm going to send you to a different sector. I'll update your work order."

Kenji checked his commlink for the new work order. Octo groaned in his ear.

"That's going to take us the entirely wrong way!" complained Octo.

"Now I'll be watching you. Don't ever be late again if you want to work for Gaeatronics in the future, do you understand me?"

"I understand you, sir," said Kenji.

Mr. Maples disconnected without another word.

"Sheesh. Someone didn't get his morning coffee enema," sassed Octo.

"Can you alter the work order?" whispered Kenji.

"I can, but he'd notice it. So I'm just going to have to bury him in the natural enemy of the employee. I'll bury him in paperwork and put your work updated order at the bottom of it. You just slow down for a second while I do," said Octo.

Kenji stopped to "tie his shoe" while Octo worked, and knelt next to his cart while people passed him.

"Got it. You're back on your old route and the change is buried under a pile of status reports he has to fill out. He's going to see it eventually though so we need to hurry up. Do you know how to use that equipment?" asked Octo.

"Not a clue," he said as he rose, and began to once again push his cart.

"Okay, you just...I dunno...Wave it around. That thing that look like a dipstick. Make it look good. I'm going to have to babysit you and trigger the batches as having been checked otherwise you're not cleared to move from place to place. I don't think those status reports are going to last an hour and I can't actively monitor that Maples jerk while doing it. You get going. I'll trigger the batches," said Octo.

And so Kenji entered the medical warehouse. It looked slightly nicer than a normal warehouse meaning it wasn't 120 degrees Fahrenheit, badly lit and loud. Instead it was clean, well lit and quiet. The amount of people actually on the floor were quite small. Most of the picking was done by drones now. There were still forklifts and the like moving inventory, but most of it was done by drone riggers who did the job of what used to be ten people. What did the other nine people who weren't employed do? Well, they found other jobs. Elsewhere. Or at least that was the theory. So Kenji dodged forklift drones and drones that slid under boxes to move entire palettes in a cool, clean and mostly deserted environment. Can't have that heat leech into those supplies and ruin the contents after all. So Kenji did his best to pretend that he was doing work, which meant he waved around whatever the hell this dipstick looking thing was. A box opened, presumably with the help of Octo, he waved it about and the box closed. New box, open, close, wave, repeat.

"I feel like an idiot," grumbled Kenji.

"Feel like an idiot quietly. I need to concentrate. Keep waving that dipstick thingy," said Octo. "I can't trigger them all at once or it'll look weird and alert security."

Kenji sighed and dealt with the quiet, creeping dread of doing meaningless tasks in a warehouse where he could be confronted at any moment to get close to his actual goal. Physical security like guards and barriers, electronic security like drones and cameras and even some magical security like spirits, though he had a plan for the first and last ones at least while Octo would have to handle the electronic stuff. He was comforted by the fact that Gentoo was outside ready to cause havoc, but he'd have a hell of a time getting away if he did. That is if the place wasn't locked down before he could get in. However near the fortieth batch Kenji stopped. This case didn't pop open like the last ones.

"What's wrong?" asked Kenji.

"These cases haven't had their drivers updated. Someone got lazy. I need to find the new drivers and install them and it's going to take time. I can't trigger them at all," said Octo. "Hold tight."

"All right. I'll just stand here...Looking stupid...With my dipstick," said Kenji, lamely.

"That's the spirit. Now cool it while I work my mojo," said Octo.

So Kenji waited around stupidly for a full ten minutes while Octo found some electronic software to open and trigger a box as having been checked. Finally the box opened.

"Got it. Checked the ones ahead too. We need to move. Wave it and go, don't even pretend for long. We've been here long enough that it doesn't look weird if we move faster," said Octo. "At least unless someone is looking."

Forty, fifty, sixty and finally he opened the last box. Inside were four plastic containers with a blue liquid inside. This was the horseshoe crab blood.

"Got the cameras?" asked Kenji.

"Already looped them. Snag and stow," said Octo.

"Who'd have thought this stuff was worth 20,000 nuyen a pop?" asked Kenji.

"That's market value though. Got to push it through that doctor friend of yours. He takes his cut and we take ours. Not too bright to cut out the middle man. Let them take the risk of keeping this stuff stored and cool. Anyway, split two ways we make a tidy profit. Nice job on the negotiation by the by. Remind me to send you a present," chirped Octo, happily.

"All right, what's next?" asked Kenji.

"Follow the arrows," said Octo. "Home stretch time. The work order had more batches but I'm putting you as officially on break. Maybe you need to get something from your van."

Kenji wheeled his cart forward past other scientists and lab techs on his way through the hall. He was almost home free, however he got a call from Mr. Maples again.

"poo poo, should I pick it up?" asked Kenji.

"Your choice," said Octo.

Kenji let it roll over. Then he was buzzed again and again and again. Kenji decided to pick up. He wasn't so close to the exit that he could just blow him off completely if he was this insistent.

"I had to call you five times and I see that your work order was changed back?!" shouted Mr. Maples in his ear. "I see you did it without contacting me to have it changed back! Explain yourself right now!"

"Sounds like he finally got that coffee enema," supplied Octo.

"I apologize, Mr. Maples," Kenji said.

"I don't care about apologies, I care about competence! I mean I'm looking at the changes and they don't even make..." said Mr. Maples, who trailed off.

He cut out.

"Oh no, he's talking to the security spider. I think he's going screw us," fretted Octo. "Hurry. I can't jam him without blowing our cover. They're talking about stuff. Do you blow past security or no? Do your magic thingy?"

"No, he's more likely to resist magic. I already used it on him once. If it fails I have to go loud," whispered Kenji.

"Well hurry!" yelled Octo.

There he was behind his desk. The same security guard as before. The ork sat there in his old, well taken care of grey uniform, with his salt and pepper hair and now with a mug of coffee.

"Oh, uh, you," he said. "Sorry about before. You leaving so soon?"

"Don't worry about it. I need to get to my vehicle," said Kenji.

"Oh, all right. Just have to check your cart...Again I guess," he said, hesitantly.

"He's really bitching the security spider out," said Octo. "I think he's running out of breath though. He's turning sorta purple."

"Hey, can we hurry it up?" asked Kenji.

"Takes as long as it takes," said the guard, who leisurely poked through his cart. "Sorry, no can do."

He squinted at Kenji's ID again. He didn't seem to immediately put it together, but his eyes widened suddenly. Not in realization, but at the silent security alert that'd been issued.

"They triggered the alert!" yelled Octo. "Crash the node?!"

"Do it," said Kenji.

"Do what?" asked the guard, warily.

The lights went out. All that could be seen was the light from outside through the windowed double doors. Kenji began to roll forward despite the guard.

"Freeze!" yelled the guard, who had his gun out. "Hands where I can see them. No funny business! On your knees! Don't move!"

Kenji groaned and looked at the guard who in his panic was issuing contradictory orders. If he tried his magic on the guard it may not work and he could just start shooting. Like before he wasn't quick with the trigger, that was good, but his gun was out now. Kenji would have to reach deep into his cart to retrieve his weapon and leave himself open. Plus if the guard started shooting he could puncture the plastic containers and therefor screw their job. Out of better options Kenji went with the best of a bunch of bad options. He told the truth.

"I don't know what your name is, but you know what I am. A shadowrunner's favorite prey is corporate security. You've got the drop on me, but I call my friend outside and he comes in here and extract me. He wrecks everything up. The odds are decent that you get injured. Maybe you die. No cameras catch your killer. Put the gun away. Your life isn't worth tangling with me and people like me," said Kenji, his voice eerily detached.

"I...Um..." said the guard.

"No time. Fight or live," said Kenji.

"I...Could you knock me out at least? I really need this job," said the guard, voice quaking now. "I mean...Really."

"Lower your gun and you live through this," said Kenji.

The guard lowered his gun in the ill lit room. He was just a normal guy trying to get by. Kenji didn't want to waste him, but he didn't want to waste anymore time either. Knight Errant was probably already on their way. So Kenji made his decision.

"Go to sleep," said Kenji.

The guard collapsed. Kenji wheeled his cart through the doors. It wasn't over yet though. He didn't hear sirens but knew that they'd be on their way soon. However there was external security that was rushing towards the building and therefor him, younger, fitter, two men, armed, guns drawn, but down.

"Stop right there!" one said.

They didn't raise their guns, but he was again struck with the same dilemma. He could go loud, but he'd take gunfire. He could call Gentoo but he was in his van in the parking lot waiting for him. So now less able to intimidate two men he again used his magic.

"Go inside, someone passed out," ordered Kenji.

"Yeah, we should do that," said one of the officers. "Someone might be hurt."

They ran past him and would find the unconscious guard. He rolled the cart double time towards the van and called Gentoo.

"Open up the back! Got to get the cart in!" he said over the rolling of the cart.

The van's back popped open. With a grunt of effort he pushed the cart into the back. He wasn't even able to get into the seat or secure the cart before Gentoo began to drive away. Not quickly like someone fleeing the scene of a crime, but slowly, like someone merely coincidentally leaving. Kenji didn't get into the seat and merely held onto the cart to keep it from slipping. The contents were worth more than him right now.

"Octo, what's the ETA on Knight Errant?" asked Kenji.

"Eight minutes out. They're having problems with traffic you lucky duck, you. I think we're clear. Drive safe, lay low and tip your hacker," said Octo.

CYOA Time

So Kenji is going to finally get moms into a facility. That'll take the rest of the morning and early afternoon to get her in. However he's going to have a full six hours to kill with nothing to do. Kenji is now free of being dismissed by Edward and therefor "dying". However we're running into a small dilemma. How does Kenji, normally used to being pulled out by Edward only as needed now do to blow off steam when he has few obligations? What does a slave do when he suddenly has free time?

Write-up of the run in the next post.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 12, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Write up of the mission. 4300 words for me and a bunch of rolling. Not as much to do here since not enough people wanted to scrub the mission and the mission would be hard to scrub once he's deep in the warehouse. Kenji never had to go loud and was able to defeat the guard at the end without firing a shot, so we didn't have to make a choice of fighting or fleeing which would've gotten us shot up by security guards from two angles which would've endangered Kenji and the goods which were in easily punctured bottles.

The big problem for the mission was that the bottles were fragile. If he got shot at and was near the cart there'd always be a chance of losing his payday. There were security spirits, but not many and not particularly powerful. Physical security was here, but mostly it kept people from getting in. The matrix security was heavy though and if Octo got locked out by the security spider Kenji probably would've gotten pinched when police officers swept the building for him when the place got locked down.

He was not really at a big chance of getting killed on the mission. The security was too light. His biggest concern was being delayed until reinforcements showed up, which they were. A few more minutes and him and Gentoo would have to deal with the cops. So his biggest concerns were being delayed and losing the goods. Combat existed only to delay and destroy his reason for being there.

Time to get to rolling. Kenji rolls composure. Six hits. He's looks calm and for the moment looks like he belongs here as he's still rocking those seven hits in impersonation. He looks the part and is therefor less likely to be questioned and so he doesn't take damage to his impersonation net hits.

Kenji rolls leadership to keep Octo on task and not asking about who Edward is. Octo therefor is aiding in his navigation roll instead of asking him what the hell is happening to get him onto the correct "circuit" that he'll be following. Luckily Octo has a map and therefor a bonus. Octo crits and Kenji gets five hits on his navigation check to actually go where he's supposed to and not veer off. No security.

Kenji gets questioned by his "boss" for being late. Kenji can't lie and so he has to be evasive. He rolls for con because he doesn't have the con skill against the supervisor. He's busy so he doesn't have time to waste on a lab tech, but is busy enough to yell at him for being late on shift. He inspects the work order and it looks fine, though it's news to him since Octo made it on Saturday. He rolls to see if Kenji actually belongs there. Yep, he sure looks like he does. Impersonation skill already had 7 net hits and that's what he needs to beat as he's not actively checking his fake ID. Kenji rolls con and fails though, but not so badly his cover is blown. His supervisor docks his "pay" for the tardiness and we may hear back from him. He sends Kenji a new route because the old one overlapped with other techs. Critical glitch on an edge test. It's nowhere near what he needs to do and is in the opposite direction.

Octo leaps in to help as their positions would be monitored and him going off his route would be bad. He owns the node after all and so he can just send him poo poo. He begins to spam this guy with bogus work orders and tries to subtly get Kenji back on track in the confusion, telling Kenji to hurry the hell up. Kenji doesn't have the dice to do a proper job and loses a net hit off his impersonation score for not being able to do his job like "Spencer" was. He's got an AI buddy helping this time. This takes a while. With the help of the AI buddy aiding an action he gets 8 hits to spam his rear end with phony work orders. All hands on deck on Sunday. He's more alert now, but only 3 hits and is distracted. Octo attempts to rewrite the order with help of the buddy. It works and Kenji is back on track. The supervisor will notice though. Critical glitch. He's going to notice in 1d6x10 minutes. 50 minutes until Kenji's cover is thoroughly hosed and there is no way around this. Neither Octo nor Kenji know this and will act normally.

Kenji has a full 60(!) batches he needs to "check" before he can get to it. Octo is helping him by falsely flagging the batches as checked. This will be a task action where six success are needed, each task taking ten minutes of time minus the number of successes. Tick tock goes the clock. Kenji will get his cover blown if he stays too long or moves too fast. Octo helps and succeeds. Three minutes, five minutes, six minutes, nine minutes, no successes but ten minutes wasted, nine minutes, one minute, and two minutes to grab the horseshoe crab blood and hide (palm skill) them.

Loot get :toot: . Kenji is on his way out. His route brings him back to the door and he attempts to just walk out. Octo helps navigate Kenji out. It will take seven minutes for him to get back out.

There's that pesky supervisor again asking what the hell Kenji is doing walking out. Kenji tries to tell him that he "May have" left some gear outside in his vehicle. The supervisor is wary and gets a bonus die because he's suspicious of Kenji. Two dice. It's a wash and it takes 1d6 minutes. It takes 4 minutes, leaving Kenji with 3 minutes left. His impersonation is falling apart and now has only five hits. He continues walking and has to talk to a quite brain fuckled guard. The supervisor is actively asking Kenji questions now. Octo is freaking out because he is dialing the security spider and asking about all of these work orders. Kenji is almost home free and is talking to the same guard who got him before. Time to check his ID. It takes two minutes. If the guard catches his ID again he's going to get made, but not before he checks the cart. Two palming rolls to beat which takes about a minute. Kenji hasn't moved his stuff but the blood is new. Kenji critted to palm it so the guard has to beat five hits. Nope.

The alarm goes off. The supervisor flips poo poo and decides to call a lockdown. Looks like it's up to that guard again and Kenji. The guard gets an alert and tries reaching for the same gun he tried to pull on Kenji before. Octo rolls to crash the node as he wormed his little way on into it and only has to succeed once to crash it. Octo succeeds. The node crashes and therefor everything. Kenji does not get locked in but poo poo is going wild right now. Initiative with the guard versus Kenji.

Initiative:

Guard: 10
Kenji: 9

Guard pulls his gun and tells him to put his hands up, using intimidation. The guard is just a normal dude acting normally and doesn't want to take a life. However his gun is out and aimed at Kenji. Guard rolls 3 hits versus Kenji's 5. Kenji is not impressed.

Kenji doesn't use commanding voice, but instead intimidate. He's straight up with the guard. The node has crashed, no one is watching and Kenji is a shadowrunner. He doesn't want to kill the man, but he will if he has to and he will get away with it because no one is watching and the doors are right there. Put the gun down. This job isn't worth a confrontation. The guard puts the gun down and asks if Kenji could maybe knock him out or something to keep his job. Kenji thinks about it and decides to since the guy did him a solid by not trying to be a hero. He can't reach for his gun because it would expose him and guns are scary. So he uses commanding voice and says, "Go to sleep" -2 dice this time. The guard falls asleep. Kenji doesn't use dust this time and because he used dust the first time security spirits didn't have a chance to be here. After all, spirits are expensive to bind to a place.

Outside security doesn't know what's going on, but has been alerted and the node has crashed. There are two that approach Kenji and tell him to go inside. Commanding voice again -1 because there are two. They go to sleep. Other security doesn't see them. Kenji gets in Gentoo's van and they begin to slowly drive away while Knight Errant begins to come. Their response time is 2d6 minutes as this is a nice neighborhood. Let's see if they're here or not yet. 11 minutes, -1 for each check and another -1 for getting to the van. Plenty of time to slowly drive away. Gentoo rolls his drive skill, which isn't particularly high. Critical success. Gentoo drives away like a boss. Kenji and Octo get paid. Run complete. Gentoo even hands Kenji 1700 nuyen for his fence contact as he didn't need to leap into action. He saw things going bad but never made the call.

Kenji goes back to the ACHE to fence that poo poo through his doctor friend. I'll say every success on negotiation (he's not great at it, but whatever) over the doctor's will give him a bonus 500 nuyen on top of what he's getting for moms. Kenji gets 3 net hits. That brings him up to a grand total of:

1100 for Razorboi's credstick
2000 extra from the ACHE run
1700 for giving Gentoo his fence contact
1500 extra for negotiating well.
-260 for two lube grenades

6040 nuyen. Jerks and opportunists get paid.

Karma rewards:

2 for surviving the run
2 for completing all objectives
1 for difficulty
1 for not using his weapon or killing anyone

Kenji satisfied his objective of "protect moms" and will remove her from Mario, his drug dealing father, and his presence which would probably have killed her and meant Kenji's existence would be threatened.

2 bonus nuyen for getting moms into an assisted living center. It's not pretty, but there was nothing in his directives about getting her into a nice place. Just protecting. She is now in a low lifestyle assisted living center and they will also help get her of the drug addiction, though not particularly well.

8 karma total.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 11, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Eight minutes out. They're having problems with traffic you lucky duck, you. I think we're clear. Drive safe, lay low and tip your hacker," said Octo.

Lucky ain't the least of it; will have to see those dice rolls, something tells me this was a lot closer than the story portion let on.

Wow, the dice really worked out well in our favor, especially those time checks. This run could have gone so wrong, if we had ended on the wrong side of the delays and the security response. Still, a win is a win, I suppose.

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time
What does a slave do when he suddenly has free time?

Like the rest of us, in times of uncertainty and crisis, we go back to what we know.

For Kenji, I'd image that to be hanging out at the ACHE and talking to Clever.

By the way, what is the dynamic between Edward, Kenji, and the denizens of ACHE?

Is Clever Kenji's friend? Edward's? Both? What's the history of who knew what and when?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, this was a tight one, but I'm glad Kenji could pull through.

At the very least, even if something else had gone seriously wrong, at least Gentoo probably would've been able to get Kenji out alive. Maybe not with the payday, though.

I think we should leave a message for Edward. A "we need to talk" message so Edward can get someplace relatively secure and let Kenji and him try to work out a better arrangement, one where ideally Kenji gets to be a real boy without living under threat of deletion and Edward gets to enjoy some of the new benefits to being Kenji. Which, admittedly, weren't there until Moms gave Kenji his fateful directive. And he also has to experience the difficulties of actually being Kenji, which maybe Kenji will appreciate since his original purpose was to be Edward's emotional stunt double.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 11, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

A well executed run, congrats Kenji!

I'm on board with trying to communicate with Edward, it'd be good to have a clearer line of discussion between the two.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Xarbala posted:

I think we should leave a message for Edward. A "we need to talk" message so Edward can get someplace relatively secure and let Kenji and him try to work out a better arrangement, one where ideally Kenji gets to be a real boy without living under threat of deletion and Edward gets to enjoy some of the new benefits to being Kenji.

RudeCat posted:

A well executed run, congrats Kenji!

I'm on board with trying to communicate with Edward, it'd be good to have a clearer line of discussion between the two.

I don't know if this is a good idea; put yourself in Edward's shoes.

You have a subordinate personality that you can barely control with written rules, who you know interpret those rules loosely, and is taking over 'the body' more and more.

You originally created this second personality to do all the dirty, uncomfortable work you didn't have the stomach for.

And now, this 'other guy' wants to have a sit down, and talk about being liberated?

Without knowing the full details of the LeBlanc method, I don't think this was the design intent; these personas were never meant to last. It was an investigative tool, sort of if you don't know you're a plant, then you can't be ousted as one.

Integrating two personalities seems to be treading new territory for everyone involved.

I know if I had a 'Kenji', and he wanted to have a sit-down to discuss freedom, I'd pull the plug on him then and there.

And, I don't full buy that Edward has a death wish and is suicidal, so he'll just willingly sacrifice himself to make Kenji a 'Real Boy'.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
There are two types of slaves. Those that want it, and those that fight it. Kenji is the type that fights it. What would he do when suddenly free? Well thats hard to tie down. He isn't really old enough to have aspirations beyond the immediate, but he does know who his friends are.

However he still has Edward's Laws of Robotics rattling about in the brain, so I would think his next course of action would be to find a way to remove those.

How does Kenji feel about Edward? Is he resentful of the restrictions? Grateful to exist?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

CourValant posted:

I don't know if this is a good idea; put yourself in Edward's shoes.

You have a subordinate personality that you can barely control with written rules, who you know interpret those rules loosely, and is taking over 'the body' more and more.

You originally created this second personality to do all the dirty, uncomfortable work you didn't have the stomach for.

And now, this 'other guy' wants to have a sit down, and talk about being liberated?

Without knowing the full details of the LeBlanc method, I don't think this was the design intent; these personas were never meant to last. It was an investigative tool, sort of if you don't know you're a plant, then you can't be ousted as one.

Integrating two personalities seems to be treading new territory for everyone involved.

I know if I had a 'Kenji', and he wanted to have a sit-down to discuss freedom, I'd pull the plug on him then and there.

And, I don't full buy that Edward has a death wish and is suicidal, so he'll just willingly sacrifice himself to make Kenji a 'Real Boy'.

Oh, I'd agree that trying to buck for freedom or integration isn't the way to go, but as circumstances change there should be a reevaluation of the situation to make sure that everybody is on the same level.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So while you folks debate what Kenji should do next let me know who you'd like to see get an aside while there's some debate. I feel like Fuzzy has gotten a lot of time to herself so I'm going to keep her off the list for the time being. Everyone else is good though.

Remember just because Kenji is out of danger from moms not being protected doesn't mean his story is over. Does he or doesn't he talk to Edward? Does he have any interests not pertinent to mere survival? If you all are not sure what he'll do to blow off steam I'll write that too, because Kenji is in danger of finding out that he may not have any interests beyond pure survival. Kenji doesn't get a happily ever after. He'll soon have time on his hands.

In this respect, he may be like a more sophisticated Fuzzy. Fuzzy wasn't really concerned about anything more than survival early on in her story. Kenji is getting to the point where he can think about more than survival. So what should he do with his time?

He could for instance go and hang out with Clever. Or he could party it up with Octo and Gentoo for a successful run. What a purely matrix contact would do to blow off steam is interesting to me for example. If there's no strong consensus I'm just going to rule that Kenji won't know. Free time with no objectives to complete would be strange to him after all. Normally he was just pulled off the shelf when Edward needed something scary or violent done.

I will say that talking to Edward could be dangerous. We could just not and deal with the consequences. Or we could talk to him and deal with the consequences.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 11, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

So while you folks debate what Kenji should do next let me know who you'd like to see get an aside while there's some debate.

Christina, please.

She's a try-hard mean girl, which tells me she a) not a mean girl at all and b) her personal life is a mess.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Remember just because Edward is out of danger from moms not being protected doesn't mean his story is over.

You mean Kenji?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Does he have any interests not pertinent to mere survival?

I feel like this should be a mini 'reveal'; Kenji is in fact not a 'real boy', he's a tool for a job. Once that job is complete, the tool should be put back into the box. He was never meant to be 'real', he doesn't get to go down and relax at the beach, its not in his 'programming'.

I think this should be developed more, before we all rush down the make him a 'real boy' path. There's nothing to make 'real', he's an emergency life raft for Edward and Moms; you don't take the raft with you once you get to shore.

Ice Phisherman posted:

He could for instance go and hang out with Clever.

I stand by my vote. :)

Ice Phisherman posted:

I will say that talking to Edward could be dangerous. We could just not and deal with the consequences. Or we could talk to him and deal with the consequences.

I can't stress enough how much I think this is a bad idea; this conversation with Edward is a zero sum game. Either he exists, or we do, we can't have it both ways. So, either we pop that cork unprepared, or find a way to remove Edward from the equation.

Mr. Hyde won in the end, he assumed control of Dr. Jekyll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

CourValant posted:

You mean Kenji?

Yep. I'll change that. Thanks.