Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

"USB root hub" refers to the USB plugs in the computer itself. So something broken about your USB implementation or you have a seriously misbehaving device plugged in somewhere.
Try taking out as many USB devices as possible, leaving only keyboard and/or mouse, and see if it still happens. Perhaps even try with different keyboard/mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Better than mine - it says 'fixed feature power button' every time and I definitely aren't pressing any buttons.

The only way I've been able to deal with it is disabling sleep entirely and just letting the system hibernate - thanks Asus

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Against my better judgement, I'm finally moving up to Windows 10 for my new personal machine.

First post had some links I went looking at, but surely at this point there's a newer, better tool out there that's a one-stop-shop for purging the poo poo out of every last stupid thing that Microsoft bombards you with, kills Cortana, and fixes all the privacy settings?

I use this one, for what it's worth: https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What does this mean? Its a USB device?

code:
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
  Wake Source Count - 1
  Wake Source [0]
    Type: Device
    Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&230f5685&0
    Friendly Name:
    Description: USB Root Hub
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

You should be able to trace that instance path field back to a specific USB device in device manager and disable its ability to send wake events from there.

Nizumzen
Oct 8, 2017
I should probably install those anti-spying tools on my Windows 10 machine. Having said that I get a kind of sick satisfaction knowing that someone somewhere might have to look through all the retarded stuff I use my computer for.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was just poking around in Groove Music and decided to add my music library I store on a NAS. Of course it let me add the network location but doesn't find any music.

Any ideas or is it typical MS trash?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

I was just poking around in Groove Music and decided to add my music library I store on a NAS. Of course it let me add the network location but doesn't find any music.

Turns out you need to have Indexing turned on on the server. I had it on at some point but it is off, so I enabled it and shall see if anything changes.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

redeyes posted:

Groove music is being discontinued so dont bother loving with it. Might as well try it on the zune software at this point.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Don Lapre posted:

Groove music is being discontinued so dont bother loving with it. Might as well try it on the zune software at this point.

The subscription service is. They intend to keep groove as the default music player

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Twibbit posted:

The subscription service is. They intend to keep groove as the default music player

Ahh my bad

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Don Lapre posted:

I saw the announcement discontinuing the sub service. Figured I'd give it another try since its been a year or 2. It's amazing how modern Windows apps don't like dealing with NAS files.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
My friend has a mirrored RAID and it is suddenly super slow... is there a way to see in Windows 10 if it is out of sync, or no?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

redeyes posted:

I saw the announcement discontinuing the sub service. Figured I'd give it another try since its been a year or 2. It's amazing how modern Windows apps don't like dealing with NAS files.

Have you tried rebooting?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

My friend has a mirrored RAID and it is suddenly super slow... is there a way to see in Windows 10 if it is out of sync, or no?

Usually the driver is bundled with a utility that will allow you to see array health and issue commands but that is completely dependent on the vendor being used.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Snuffman posted:

Thanks for the reply. :)

I did repoint the user folders to the D: drive, so Music opens My Music on the D: drive, for example.

Doesn't seem to search music/movies/documents unless I filter.

Had this problem as well with my Onedrive storage stored on my D:. The search field would only show documents on C: unless I filtered it further. This appears to be fixed in the Fall Creators update, as I get the full results now from my indexed D: drive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Really looking forward to this update, with shape writing, OneDrive placeholders and proper continue on PC/send to device functions for phones, it actually has a bunch of stuff I'll be making use of this time around.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Usually the driver is bundled with a utility that will allow you to see array health and issue commands but that is completely dependent on the vendor being used.

He just has the raid set up in Raid 1 (two drives) from the BIOS, Intel Chipset, we checked the bios and it says "verify" in yellow text so I guess it is going some kind of resync.

Will installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology on Windows let us see more detail, or is that only for raids configured within Windows (i.e. software raids, as opposed to bios raids)?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Intel RST is for managing hardware RAID on the motherboard SATA ports. The tool for managing Windows 10's software RAID is called Manage Storage Spaces, or the older implementation through dynamic disks was in Disk Management.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I have a dying hard drive with my windows 10 install on it that I want to replace with a (smaller) ssd, and just mount as a second drive to pull off whatever files I need. Do I just need to pop in the new drive, boot to some kind of USB key with the windows 10 setup poo poo on it, and then it will pull the key from the motherboard, or do I need to dig out my windows 7 key and poo poo? I do have my Microsoft account tied to my install, so is logging in to that good enough? None of the other hardware is changing, just the drives.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

If you have Windows 10 activated now, Microsoft remembers that your motherboard has earned Windows 10 (but make sure the edition is right, either just 10 or 10 Pro); no license key or Microsoft Account login necessary.

If you want a clean break, what you posted is a way to do it, but make backups just in case. If not, go get Macrium Reflect Free, uninstall and backup-and-remove things to under about half the size of the SSD, and clone it over.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Twibbit posted:

They intend to keep groove as the default music player

I'm amazed they're still missing basic functionality with that thing when they've had years to work on it. I can't sort or search in the now playing list at all?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

He just has the raid set up in Raid 1 (two drives) from the BIOS, Intel Chipset, we checked the bios and it says "verify" in yellow text so I guess it is going some kind of resync.

Will installing Intel Rapid Storage Technology on Windows let us see more detail, or is that only for raids configured within Windows (i.e. software raids, as opposed to bios raids)?

Verifying in that case means its doing a re-sync and scanning the drives to look for differing data. It's going to be slow as all hell until its done. Thus is the magic of raid arrays. If you made the array through an Intel chipset then yes the RST driver set will have an app that will give you a Windows GUI for seeing array health.

Eletriarnation posted:

Intel RST is for managing hardware RAID on the motherboard SATA ports. The tool for managing Windows 10's software RAID is called Manage Storage Spaces, or the older implementation through dynamic disks was in Disk Management.

RST is for managing intel software RAID same as anything else.

BangersInMyKnickers fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 10, 2017

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This is interesting.

https://betanews.com/2017/10/10/install-windows-10-fall-creators-update-bloatware-free-edition-now/

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Windows Defender removed for being 'bloatware' :airquote:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I know right. I like everything but that.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Cool; an unofficial LTSB.

If Microsoft would just release a version like this; but with Defender back I'd be so freaking happy. I've written a powershell script at this point that sets up my Windows environment _mostly_ to my liking; but drat - it irks me that I have to even think about removing poo poo like Candy Crush or "app suggestions" in a "Pro" operating system.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Windows Defender removed for being 'bloatware' :airquote:

That way you can install the superior Mcafee antivirus

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

UAC and filesystem permissions just slow things down. Convert the filesystem to Fat32 and get me back close to the bare metal, just like Windows 95

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

RST is for managing intel software RAID same as anything else.

Are you calling it software RAID because the processing is offloaded to the main CPU? I am calling it 'hardware' because it requires the Intel ICH as far as I am aware, IDK where the processing for it is actually being done. You can't use RST to run a RAID on a non-Intel add-in controller, correct?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 10, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

Are you calling it software RAID because the processing is offloaded to the main CPU? I am calling it 'hardware' because it requires the Intel ICH as far as I am aware, IDK where the processing for it is actually being done. You can't use RST to run a RAID on a non-Intel add-in controller, correct?

Software = anything without a dedicated RAID card.

Pretty sure the performance difference between the two these days is minimal.

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 10, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Intel raid is basically a software implementation in UEFI/BIOS instead of the OS. There's no dedicated processor/ram like at LSI card and all the workload is sent to the shared resources, similar to the old WinTel software modems that became popular. Nothing necessarily wrong with it, but its not hardware raid. The Intel software will only work with their arrays, all the vendors to my knowledge do their own proprietary thing for drivers and controlling software. Intel does make some hardware raid controllers but that's all for server class hardware. Not sure if RST would know what to do with those, probably a separate software package.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hardware RAID is performed by a dedicated piece of hardware. RST may require a specific piece of hardware, such as Intel ICH, but that is because it is designed specifically to work with that chip to help sell it - it's still a software RAID solution because the Intel ICH is general purpose hardware that provides RAID as an abstraction layer, rather than a piece of hardware specifically and exclusively designed to provide it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Stanley Pain posted:

Software = anything without a dedicated RAID card.

Pretty sure the performance difference between the two these days is minimal.

Yeah, that's not how I was thinking but I understand now; I usually draw the hardware/software line at "can I run this array on any arbitrary set of SATA ports/controllers as long as I have the same application installed" and not "is there a dedicated CPU handling the parity calculations". That might be just my weird definition though.

Haven't paid attention to Storage Spaces but I think you could call mdadm's load minimal, at least for RAID 5 - while writing to an XFS partition on a freshly initialized array last week at ~110MBps, I was seeing around 15% load on one core of a Haswell E3 Xeon.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 10, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, that's not how I was thinking but I understand now; I usually draw the hardware/software line at "can I run this array on any arbitrary set of SATA ports/controllers as long as I have the same application installed" and not "is there a dedicated CPU handling the parity calculations". That might be just my weird definition though.

Haven't paid attention to Storage Spaces but I think you could call mdadm's load minimal, at least for RAID 5 - while writing to an XFS partition on a freshly initialized array last week at ~110MBps, I was seeing around 15% load on one core of a Haswell E3 Xeon.

Before my Ninja edit I DID mention dedicated XOR hardware :shobon:

CPUs have come a long way and now I'm unsure if that would even make a difference in parity calculations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Anyone on the preview ring (well, release candidate now) been getting thumbnail image resets every night? Been happening for months, seemingly since the Files on Demand Onedrive upgrade - all my thumbnails are reset every night and have to be re-created when I view an image heavy folder. Driving me nuts.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

That IS kind of interesting; I didn't know any Internet server actually deserves a DDoS.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I wonder how hard it is to put Defender back.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
Reminds me so much of all those nlited custom ISOs floating around during the XP era.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Friendly reminder to update your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

*furiously patches all my poo poo*

Realizes 3 days later the patches broke a bunch of other poo poo too.