Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I wish Guggenheim blew up in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe they'll surprise us, maybe this season will be about Oliver training antifa.

Sure, their black bloc tactics might be effective on the streets, but do they know what to do if the Nazis come at them one at a time in a dark warehouse?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

I haven't read the interview myself, but I've seen people on Twitter talking about how Guggenheim said they want to do a BLM episode, and oh man is that probably a terrible idea.

On the other hand, this show is about a traditionally liberal character fighting about controversial issues.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Hey let's get mad about something that somebody said in the thread without backing it up with a source!

Seriously I get so upset about TV threads where somebody posts something saying they saw something in an article but they don't post a link to said article.

It's not loving hard.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Look it up you bellend. . We are having a laugh about real politics in a show about ninjas.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Look it up you bellend. . We are having a laugh about real politics in a show about ninjas.

Maybe it is you who are the bellend for someone actually asking for source on something that sounds like it came from a general rumor mill? :thunk:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm totally a bellend, but i wasn't getting upset on the forum rather than google it.

Because it took me 2.5 seconds.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Colton Haynes said Roy makes an appearance this season.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Colton Haynes said Roy makes an appearance this season.

They probably filmed a bunch of scenes, with elaborate costumes and got him to break out the sweet flips once more. Shame that they're just gonna put it all on the cutting room floor again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hope that when the show is finished its revealed that he filmed cameos each season since he left but they always got cut out.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Just release a whole season made up of cut Roy footage, like Wake Up Ron Burgundy.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Never forget Arrow had Oliver just solve the gun crisis off-screen. I have very little faith they'd be able to handle a BLM episode without at least some eye-rolling problems.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mortanis posted:

Never forget Arrow had Oliver just solve the gun crisis off-screen. I have very little faith they'd be able to handle a BLM episode without at least some eye-rolling problems.

Gun fever was just still too hot

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm binging this show on Netflix after ditching it at the end of season 2 in the past, just got to the fake wedding episode in season 4 and i have two questions:

1: Does the writing/acting for Felicity ever recover? Or is she insufferable until the latest episode.
2: When does Legends of Tomorrow start as far as Arrow is concerned? I wanted to jump ship to that show when Arrow made a big "hey look at this new show you should also watch" episode like with Flash, but Sara's been gone a while now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dongattack posted:

I'm binging this show on Netflix after ditching it at the end of season 2 in the past, just got to the fake wedding episode in season 4 and i have two questions:

1: Does the writing/acting for Felicity ever recover? Or is she insufferable until the latest episode.

She's okay again in season 5 bar a couple of episodes.

quote:

2: When does Legends of Tomorrow start as far as Arrow is concerned? I wanted to jump ship to that show when Arrow made a big "hey look at this new show you should also watch" episode like with Flash, but Sara's been gone a while now.

Legends starts after season 4 episode 8.

(Legends season 1 is garbage.)

Sara's last appearance on Arrow, until the S5 cross-over as part of Legends, is season 4 episode 6.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 18, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

She's okay again in season 5 bar a couple of episodes.

Phew, then i can just skip a lot, good.

Aphrodite posted:

Legends starts after season 4 episode 8.

Oooooooo

Aphrodite posted:

Legends season 1 is garbage.

Booooooooo

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Ooh! Are we messing with Adora?

Legends Season 2 is really good though.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Senerio posted:

Legends Season 2 is really good though.

But you should watch season 1 to appreciate how much of a leap it is more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you like seeing Oliver wearing bad fake beards, Legends Season One is for you.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/stephenamell/status/909962328401219584

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Croc posted:

But you should watch season 1 to appreciate how much of a leap it is more.

Legends Season 1 has all the worst characters, but also the best character. While the season has intolerable moments, that one character, his interactions with the others, and his arc are awesome, and it would be a shame to miss all that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Legends Season 1 has all the worst characters, but also the best character. While the season has intolerable moments, that one character, his interactions with the others, and his arc are awesome, and it would be a shame to miss all that.

Legends has at least TWO best characters in season 1.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

And two of the worst characters in all of the DC CW shows in Hawkman and Rip Hunter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

And two of the worst characters in all of the DC CW shows in Hawkman and Rip Hunter.

It's closer to four worst characters really.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Snart and... Sara? Or Mick?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am guessing Mick and Snart or NotSuperIronMan

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Rip is ok, and is occasionally great. The Hawks were the worst and most boring characters.

Also I thought Ray was a bit dull in S1, I didn't feel the love triangle they had going with him, Kendra and Hawkman worked very well. The writing of him improved immeasurably in S2 though, I like his friendships with Sara and Nate a lot.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I finally just started watching season 2; am about 5 or 6 episodes in and, yeah, it is way better than season 1. Dr. Captain Professor :rock:man is way way more charismatic than Rippard T Hunter: Dourpants at Large

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rip is not OK. He's the worst. He's worse than Hawkman because he's more of a focal point than Hawkman. Hawkman is loving terrible but he's barely around. Rip is just an awful character and a bad actor. There's nothing redeeming there.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

He was dull in Season 1 because he had little development beyond "Savage killed my family" until the end of the season. When he returned in Season 2 they were able to actually do a bit more with him.

Also Arthur Darvill isn't a bad actor at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

irlZaphod posted:

He was dull in Season 1 because he had little development beyond "Savage killed my family" until the end of the season. When he returned in Season 2 they were able to actually do a bit more with him.

Also Arthur Darvill isn't a bad actor at all.

He might not be in other stuff, but he is on that show. Maybe he works up or down to his material. Because he sure as poo poo didn't have much engaging to do and sure acted like it.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hey remember when they were in the 50s and Jackson disappeared after they explicitly warned him he might get lynched by an angry white mob, and they just kinda hung around the ship for awhile he was abducted and possibly getting slung up in a tree?

That was almost as egregious as "Use your natural athleticism!"

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's Green Arrow like in the comics? Is he as emo as in the tv-show? I keep seeing comic snippest of him here and there and he's always cracking dadjokes or trying to annoy Batman, never being supersad irl like our version.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I haven't read in a long time but traditionally, yeah, there's a lot of it there. He's long been the leftist voice for that world who confronts the rest of the heroes on their priorities and methods and how they only really care about big alien threats and never actually use their powers to make the world better or address societal problems. Back in the 70s there was a classic run where he traveled the country with Green Lantern confronting all the political and social problems of America where Arrow argued for radical change against GL's more moderate approach. He also has a similar "family" of sidekicks who have all manner of problems like drug addiction, daddy issues, and HIV from their prostitution pasts. Also he always cheats on Black Canary and everyone else he dates and neglects his "kids" creating all kinds of interpersonal conflict.

They're different but similar. Obviously show Oliver isn't as socially engaged or radical/leftist. Comic Oliver generally has more of a sense of humor and yeah, he eventually turned into a kind of "dad" role for his sidekicks as opposed to the "brother" one the show version has. And his origin was just a rich dude who wanted to be Batman, not the crazy murdering backstory Oliver has. But he's pretty emo for a DC super hero.

Or was. They reboot things all the time so I have no idea what he's like now.

edit: I guess the "shipwrecked" stuff eventually became part of his comic origin but I don't think all the Argus operative and serial killer stuff ever did. But I'm probably wrong about some of that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 2, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

All the CW superhero stuff starts next week, right?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R5mlGk1PCw

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I haven't read in a long time but traditionally, yeah, there's a lot of it there. He's long been the leftist voice for that world who confronts the rest of the heroes on their priorities and methods and how they only really care about big alien threats and never actually use their powers to make the world better or address societal problems. Back in the 70s there was a classic run where he traveled the country with Green Lantern confronting all the political and social problems of America where Arrow argued for radical change against GL's more moderate approach. He also has a similar "family" of sidekicks who have all manner of problems like drug addiction, daddy issues, and HIV from their prostitution pasts. Also he always cheats on Black Canary and everyone else he dates and neglects his "kids" creating all kinds of interpersonal conflict.

They're different but similar. Obviously show Oliver isn't as socially engaged or radical/leftist. Comic Oliver generally has more of a sense of humor and yeah, he eventually turned into a kind of "dad" role for his sidekicks as opposed to the "brother" one the show version has. And his origin was just a rich dude who wanted to be Batman, not the crazy murdering backstory Oliver has. But he's pretty emo for a DC super hero.

Or was. They reboot things all the time so I have no idea what he's like now.

edit: I guess the "shipwrecked" stuff eventually became part of his comic origin but I don't think all the Argus operative and serial killer stuff ever did. But I'm probably wrong about some of that.

Ollie's gone back to his leftist roots after Rebirth and still resists the JL because they tend to focus on the very large threats without really engaging in the more human problems. He used to largely run solo with occasional help by his half-sister, Emiko, daughter of Shado and Robert Queen. Unlike Felicity and Diggle, Thea wasn't written in. Idk where Felicity has gone, and Diggle is working with Merlyn. During New52, a larger overaching plot was set up regarding the Arrow Tribe, one of several secret groups based around some weapon or another. Oliver's dad was a part of it and the island they shipwrecked on was involved. Idk if that's still canon or relevant since it hasn't been brought up after Rebirth. He's more or less the reluctant hero iirc wherein he was pushed into the role because of those events. I haven't read the New52 GA stuff, so I'm not sure about that, but obviously there's a bit of the show that leaked in since they were coming out at around the same time.

Currently he's trying to take back Seattle, renamed Star City, from a villainous organization who acts as the bank and financier for numerous supervillains and supervillain orgs. The person leading this takeover is a Trump-like figure (Make Star City Great Again) so the political parallels are a lot stronger. Ollie also got to recently interact more closely with the JL and came to an understanding with him being an auxillary member ("Friends with Benefits").

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Bruceski posted:

All the CW superhero stuff starts next week, right?

I'm kinda in a bad place at the moment, so I release the Arrow thread to whoever wants to make the new one.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Pass.

But here's a new sizzle reel for this season, which includes some of the new villains. Michael Emerson shows up for all of three seconds. I'm ready for them to stop playing coy about who survived the island blowing up though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydsr1dFC8g

Is it just me or are they aggressively aging up Oliver's kid like soap operas do sometimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same actor they've always used.

• Locked thread