Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Someone other than him will buy that.

I'd be willing to bet they'll move... at least 1000 units of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I signed up to win one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

polyester concept posted:

His admission that it's insane and he just wanted to make the most absurd and expensive piece of equipment possible makes it somehow forgivable.
If I was going to design my "dream gear" I sure as hell could do better than 3" drivers, even when they make halo gear it's still whatever bits they have a bunch of in the warehouse.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

It's doing so much insane post processing to the sound, isn't that basically kryptonite for audiophiles?

also:

:catdrugs:

Next up: Convince idiots who buy this thing that adjusting the screws changes the output.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

buy my DIY kit to replace all the screws with my specially chosen screws, giving a more open organic sound.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

qirex posted:

If I was going to design my "dream gear" I sure as hell could do better than 3" drivers, even when they make halo gear it's still whatever bits they have a bunch of in the warehouse.

but you can hook up 4 subwoofers to it

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Inspect Your Gadgets > Ridicule Audiophiles: Now With Over 400 Screws!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
How many of those sound bars do I need for a complete system, at least 6 right?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

qirex posted:

Gotta make sure the cost to produce it is at least 1000x less than what we'll sell it for otherwise what's the point?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I can picture the target buyers as computer users who loved Soundblaster cards in the 90s, and now has Silicon Valley disposable income. If I were one of those, I would easily buy one.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

evobatman posted:

I can picture the target buyers as computer users who loved Soundblaster cards in the 90s, and now has Silicon Valley disposable income. If I were one of those, I would easily buy one.

I liked Soundblaster cards in the 90s. While I don't make silicon Valley money, my home theatre stereo cost considerably more than that creative thing. It also sounds a bazillion times better and has a lot more utility.

Maybe if you added "only watches Netflix streaming" and "lives in a small apartment with no room for actual speakers (or noise complaint something something)" you'd be right.

I really can't see anyone wanting this, even if they are limited to a soundbar.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

shortspecialbus posted:

Maybe if you added "only watches Netflix streaming" and "lives in a small apartment with no room for actual speakers (or noise complaint something something)" you'd be right.

So, everyone that lives in and around Silicon Valley.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's obviously for the rich person whose SO has strong aesthetic demands. I mean, if I was that rich, I would just go with in-wall speakers but that doesn't work if you have brick walls or something.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

grack posted:

Next up: Convince idiots who buy this thing that adjusting the screws changes the output.

Obviously the correct number of screws in a device should be a prime number, to prevent any amplification of resonant frequencies.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Clarence posted:

Obviously the correct number of screws in a device should be a prime number, to prevent any amplification of resonant frequencies.

No no, they all need to be at slightly different depths.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
WTF just use dampening gems on your screws.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Dump a bag of rocks on it.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Sorry, crystals.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
If you aren't taking $5 drivers with $10 worth of other parts to part golden ears of their 5800 audiobucks you are a poor businessman.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Does anyone have experience or opinions about raspberry pi dacs like hifiberry? They're supposed to be high quality and pretty cheap.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Brilliant Pebbles, eat your goddamned heart out. The new hotness is MAGIC TUBES :catdrugs:

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/magictubes.html

quote:

Magic Tubes

Magic Tubes are small glass tubes, about 4-5cm long and 6mm diameter. They contain a mixture of black and white powders. (The powder is sealed in the glass as it degrades on contact with air.) The reason for the "Magic" moniker is down to the effect they have on audio system components. It seems so unlikely, that such a thing can have any effect, let alone a profound one.

To use Magic Tubes, attach to various elements of your audio system. Typically these places are the first to try:

Interconnects - attach to one end or the other, just after the RCA plug. Can use sticky tape. Or try attaching to the plug. Usually works better at one end or the other, so try both.
Loudspeaker cables. I use on both ends, on both wires. Again, I attach with sticky tape or double-sided tape.
Power Cords - stick on the IEC inlet plug.
DC power umbilical cords.
Transformers, inductors in crossovers, etc.
This is by no means an exhaustive list. Some people get good results on digital and video components. Personally I don't. But there seems to be no limit to the number you can put on your system while still getting audible improvements. I have around 30 at the moment.

What is the Effect?

The first thing to note is that they don't work fully to start with. They do usually make an audible difference when you put them on, but this is not the final result. What happens (in my experience) is that they take around an hour to start working properly. After 30 mins you can notice some treble improvement, then later on the bass improves and fills in. This one hour "settling time" occurs every time you move the tubes - I think that it's due to the special materials relaxing into the earth's local magnetic field. So don't move them once they are in position. You don't need to be playing music during the settling time, but it also doesn't hurt if you do.

I find the effect is hard to explain, as it seems to do several things - increase dynamics, broaden and deepen the soundstage, bass goes deeper, treble detail enhanced. One tester said "improvement in intricate articulation of detail - not to mention improvement in dynamics"

Because of the one-hour settling time, which actually improves for up to 24 hours, you'll find it easier to test by following these steps:

Put the Magic Tubes on the system
Leave the tubes there for a couple of days (or more).
Listen to some music critically
Remove the tubes
Listen again
When I demo this to people, the effect of removing 20 or more tubes (the ones I can easily get to) has a devastating effect. The soundstages collapses to about one third the size, and becomes very flat.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Holy gently caress

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Whuuut

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He has woefully underpriced these. I encourage everyone to buy as many 36 packs as you can afford (maybe a home equity loan?) before he realizes the gold mine he's sitting on.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Brilliant Pebbles, eat your goddamned heart out. The new hotness is MAGIC TUBES :catdrugs:

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/magictubes.html

A fool and his money are easily departed. Good gods.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh, and if anyone is tempted to write off Mad Scientist Audio as some sort of next-gen audiophile parody site a la Machina Dynamica, well, start looking up reviews. It gets terrifying real fast.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I was working on a flea market Pioneer PD-S707 CD player that needed a new spindle motor, and found this delightful little thing:

A previous owner replaced the stock oscillator crystal with a fancier one.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know from watches that there are different "grades" of quartz oscillators but I'm curious how much 'drift' there could be over the course of an individual song? I think most stuff nowadays is so good that studio stuff like hyper accurate "world clocks" are falling out of favor.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I can't find it now, but there's an interview with Wayne Coyne about The Flaming Lips' album Zaireeka. It was released on four CDs, each of which were supposed to be played simultaneously on four separate CD players with varying adjustments made to the volume and panning (at the listener's whim). He said something about discovering that CD players were not all that precise as they thought, because while the band was demoing the album they would press play simultaneously, but by the end the players were all noticeably out of sync with each other by a few seconds. I am guessing the time span was across the entire album, not just one song though.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

I can't find it now, but there's an interview with Wayne Coyne about The Flaming Lips' album Zaireeka. It was released on four CDs, each of which were supposed to be played simultaneously on four separate CD players with varying adjustments made to the volume and panning (at the listener's whim). He said something about discovering that CD players were not all that precise as they thought, because while the band was demoing the album they would press play simultaneously, but by the end the players were all noticeably out of sync with each other by a few seconds. I am guessing the time span was across the entire album, not just one song though.

Okay, but if you're a normal person listening to a single CD, 5 seconds off of a 90 minute run is .09%. Hardly something to get your pantaloons so ruffled that you're going to replace parts in your player.

But then again if everyone was normal we wouldn't have this thread full of $500 USB cables.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

metallicaeg posted:

Okay, but if you're a normal person listening to a single CD, 5 seconds off of a 90 minute run is .09%. Hardly something to get your pantaloons so ruffled that you're going to replace parts in your player.

But then again if everyone was normal we wouldn't have this thread full of $500 USB cables.

Oh, I agree, its negligible and most people would never notice or care, including me. But it's measurable.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I remember this experiment being mentioned in the liner notes for the surround sound mix of Yoshimi. But not the specifics of why it failed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

metallicaeg posted:

Okay, but if you're a normal person listening to a single CD, 5 seconds off of a 90 minute run is .09%.

I'm the 90 minute CD

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I can't find it now, but there's an interview with Wayne Coyne about The Flaming Lips' album Zaireeka.

That reminds me, if this ever comes to your area it's definitely worth checking out. I auditioned B&Ws after hearing it.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

qirex posted:

I know from watches that there are different "grades" of quartz oscillators but I'm curious how much 'drift' there could be over the course of an individual song? I think most stuff nowadays is so good that studio stuff like hyper accurate "world clocks" are falling out of favor.

Drift in a quartz oscillator is usually mostly temperature drift, the issue here is that in consumer gear nobody's going to spring for a TCXO or OCXO to avoid temperature fluctuations causing very small long term variations in playback rate. Well audiophiles might, but you can't sell them real engineering that produces no change (because the problem being fixed is imperceptible). It has to be bullshit that makes a noticeable change (which can be a change for the worse, and often is) or they won't buy it.

Idk what audio studios are up to today, but a global master clock for a nearly-all-digital mixing system that has to deal with data streams from several converters seems like it still ought to make sense. No matter how accurate the oscillators in each individual box are, you aren't going to get them to all agree, and providing a path to accept an external clock is cheaper than making internal clock sources be extremely accurate.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
If you've ever tried doing a diy sonos multiroom digital audio type thing you'll know how important a single clock source is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

If you've ever tried doing a diy sonos multiroom digital audio type thing you'll know how important a single clock source is.

nowadays you can do that timing math and negotiation over usb or a network so you don't need a separate outboard master clock like they used to, there's still super weird audiophile stuff that does though

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 11, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Serious post:
Does anyone know how the Monoprice Monolith AMT speakers stack up against Emotiv's Airmotiv?
I'm looking to throw some cheap but decent speakers together for a 5.1 in my living room.

I don't know if this should be more geared towards the HT thread, but I really just wanted to know about the ~sonic qualities~ of the two speakers and how they stack up so I figured this was a good place to start.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

If they're anything like their planar magnetic headphones they should be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're curious about those tweeters maybe check out Chane speakers, they're cheaper than those Monoprices and have an actual waveguide and stuff. AVS people go insane for them. I think the center channel is sold out for the moment, though [plus their logo looks like comic sans].

e: HTD Level Threes have a folded tweeter as well.