Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

My hope is that the reason they're getting Rebels over and done with is so that they can start the hype train on whatever the next animated series is for a fall debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I'd like to see some new characters and themes, and maybe a whole new setting to explore.

Even if they just follow the timeline we'd have the whole period between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens; that sounds like it could be really fun. You'd have a backdrop of a collapsing imperial government trying to salvage something out of a decades long civil war. If they want to play it safe again and throw in some familiar faces , they could even have Luke and his crazy new Jedi in there somewhere.

Although ,deep down , I realize that I'm in my 20's and still watching Star Wars cartoons, so I'll probably watch any crap they churn out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghetto Prince posted:

Although ,deep down , I realize that I'm in my 20's and still watching Star Wars cartoons, so I'll probably watch any crap they churn out.

Ease up on yourself, you're probably the youngest person here

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I want either something to build on the New Canons verison of Knights of the Old Republic. While it still would feature Sith vs Jedi, it would spare them from just running side stories for Saga characters.

That or what is probably more likely, something that takes place between RotJ and TFA. Though at the same time, there's a lot of books dealing with that.

I am as old as A New Hope for the record.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
My one big dumb hope is they utilize the message of KotOR 2 hand have someone, sith, jedi or some sort of new force user go up against the force itself as the manipulator of events. That being born with the force is as much of a blessing as it is a curse to be caught in some cycle of conflict and "balance" with every living thing in the galaxy as its pawns, depending on where Last Jedi goes. Basically have someone bring about some actual thought to their convictions and ideas outside of BAD PEOPLE HAVE RED LIGHT SABERS. But with how popular the regular marvel movie villain formula seems to be, maybe that's hoping for too much.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Eh, I'm just happy Trevorrow is gone. He seemed like a bad, bad fit for Star Wars.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

Ease up on yourself, you're probably the youngest person here

I'm 41 and i'll push a kid out of the way to watch this show... maybe even push them over.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NTRabbit posted:

JJ Abrams is not a good director and I thought TFA was a thoroughly ordinary movie that reflected this, so in my opinion no.

TFA was a VERY safe movie(I quite liked it), but I kinda think it had to be due to setting the tone for everything after it long-term for the franchise (ie; "It's not gonna be the Prequel Trilogy again, we SWEAR!").

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's Gareth Edwards doing?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TFA was a VERY safe movie(I quite liked it), but I kinda think it had to be due to setting the tone for everything after it long-term for the franchise (ie; "It's not gonna be the Prequel Trilogy again, we SWEAR!").

Even if we were to concede that, he still botched up all the space and spaceship stuff just as badly as he did in Star Trek into Darkness, so not only did we have the superlaser firing that was so badly conceived it broke suspension of disbelief in a universe with space wizards, but he totally missed the point about Star Destroyers and what people like about them - he showed the close up scenes of the Tantive IV being swallowed and the Falcon attached to the back of the bridge, but didn't give us a single one of the follow up/preceding shots with the Destroyer in full majesty. To this day there's no on screen proof that Ren's Star Destroyer is even the same ship as the 3D model in promotional material, you never get to see it.

Rogue One got the space scenes perfect - a good balance between close ups of the fighters zooming around big stuff, and long shots of the capital ships doing their thing, and all shot really well.

Rocksicles posted:

Gareth Edwards

George Miller

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 13, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Even accepting that "The Force Awakens" needed to establish itself as a "real" Star Wars movie and wouldn't have the kind of things people hated in the prequels like Jar Jar or an undue focus on politics I would personally hold the film as way too safe. It was superficially entertaining when I was watching it, but even in the cinema I was sitting there thinking "this feels too familiar". The basic plot was almost an exact beat for beat copy of "A New Hope", a lot of the major cast are either returning characters or related to older characters and every design in the film is basically a lazy rehash of something from A New Hope.

It was a popcorn film, fine while it lasted but immediately forgotten because it has no substance or memorable taste. If it didn't have the words Star Wars in front of the name no-one would have paid it attention or remembered it in my opinion, and I don't feel at all confident Kathleen Kennedy or JJ Abrams won't continue to lazily rehash the original trilogy for the remaining films in their new trilogy. Even the designs already shown for "The Last Jedi" ape the original trilogy too heavily and suggest the plot will basically march step for step along "Empire Strikes Back"'s route, with new AT-ATs. I'm sure it'll make a lot of money, and I'll almost definitely see it at some point, but it's not something I feel any anticipation or excitement for.

Rebels is cool, but my faith is in the animated division at the moment and I hold none in the actual films. Even then, I don't think the animated entries will ever match "The Clone Wars" personally, since I don't think they'll ever have the budget or freedom to make a show like it, with a much wider ensemble focus and weird plots that reference Godzilla or The Magnificent Seven as the producers will.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 13, 2017

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm happy Trevorrow is gone, but I'm not sure I trust JJ to follow Rian Johnson because JJ's movies have no depth. Like the guy above said, they're popcorn movies. JJ is a fine, capable director that won't raise a fuss or get himself fired, but he's a boring pick. I expect big things from The Last Jedi because Rian is a fantastic director and writer, my biggest concern now is that IX will fail to satisfactorily resolve whatever TLJ sets up.

What I haven't seen mentioned in many articles about IX is that JJ's new co-writer is Chris Terrio of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League fame. :ironicat:

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Rocksicles posted:

I'm 41 and i'll push a kid out of the way to watch this show... maybe even push them over.
:same:

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Rocksicles posted:

Star Wars Rebels Season 4 - I'm 41 and I'll push a kid out of the way to watch this show... maybe even push them over.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Get between a nerd and his obsession at your own peril

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're burning it by Christmas so they can announce around TLJ that the next animated show is all Porgs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
God I hope there's no porgs in major roles, those things are loving creepy looking.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

tsob posted:

God I hope there's no porgs in major roles, those things are loving creepy looking.
two kinds of people...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm totally in the dark as to the new movie, whats with the notpenguins?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Disney needed a Star Wars toy in the 2-8 year old category

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Force Penguins?

Cute Ysalami?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Ewoks 2.0

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Organic BB-8s.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They will be background creatures, one will be a pet of some kind that Rey scratches on the head, and that will be the extent of their appearance in the movie. 4 weeks before Xmas, 500 million Porg toys and 0 Rey toys will be put on shelves worldwide.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Porgs will cause the fall of the First Order in Episode 9.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Snoke is 3 porgs in a trenchcoat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Imagine 4 porgs on the edge of a cliff.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Rocksicles posted:

Force Penguins?

So, that's how they propel their poo poo that far.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

drunkill posted:

Snoke is 3 porgs in a trenchcoat.

Snoke Adultman

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaz-L posted:

Imagine 4 porgs on the edge of a cliff.

Can I imagine punting them off the cliff? With a baseball bat? In to a shredder? Made of lightsabers? And sarlaccs?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

They will be background creatures, one will be a pet of some kind that Rey scratches on the head, and that will be the extent of their appearance in the movie. 4 weeks before Xmas, 500 million Porg toys and 0 Rey toys will be put on shelves worldwide.

Time travelers shouldn't reveal themselves like that. Now everyone will be hitting you up for lottery numbers and poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was playing Galaxy of Heroes Palpatine event, and my team consisted of Hera, Zeb, Kanaan, K-2S0 and Cassian, and yea, I could totally see that as a strike force to take down Palpatine. Ezra, Chopper and Sabine are ready to get everyone away.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Porgs will be the new Constable Zuvio

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I think you'll find Porgs are cool and good. Little weirdo pointy toothed space penguins.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

the star wars dot com posted:

Star Wars Rebels returns for its fourth and final season beginning Monday, October 16, on Disney XD. Many episodes will be broadcast back-to-back through November 13, making for an hour of action and adventure courtesy of the Ghost crew. (Even Chopper is excited!)

You can mark your calendars for the following episodes:

Monday, 10/16 – “Heroes of Mandalore” Parts 1 & 2
Monday, 10/23 – “In the Name of the Rebellion” Parts 1 & 2
Monday, 10/30 – “The Occupation” and “Flight of the Defender”
Monday, 11/6 – “Kindred” and “Crawler Commandeers”
Monday, 11/13 – “Rebel Assault”

Following a holiday break, Star Wars Rebels will be back in early 2018 for its final run of episodes leading up to the top-secret series finale.

Look for new episodes every Monday with five airings throughout the day at 12:30 a.m., 3:00 a.m., 7:30 a.m., 5:30 p.m., and 9:00 p.m. ET on Disney XD, the Disney XD App, and VOD. StarWars.com’s Rebels Recon behind-the-scenes series will be posted after the 9 p.m. broadcast, and episode guides will be published on Tuesdays at 9 a.m. ET / 6 a.m. PT.

Post-hiatus better have a "Rebel Assault II" :argh:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 21, 2017

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
FYI Forces of Destiny is back for a new season:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdofQfnDd8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEWaQdRd2-o&t=7s

Fill-in Harrison Ford is a bit too gruff.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
In case you've been under a rock yesterday or today, The Last Jedi's trailer dropped.

Porgs are no Lothcats, but they'll do for now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going in totally cold if at all possible.

I'm half way through the Leia audio book though, it's great!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

IronSaber posted:

Porgs are no Lothcats, but they'll do for now.

I'm all about those Crait foxes, personally

Also holy crap, we're about a week out from Season 4 premiering; somebody please come up with an awesome title for the new thread. Preferably one with a cutesy reference to The Last Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Cross-Section posted:

Also holy crap, we're about a week out from Season 4 premiering; somebody please come up with an awesome title for the new thread. Preferably one with a cutesy reference to The Last Jedi.

Star Wars Rebels Season 4: Well, We Know Hera and Chopper Survive

• Locked thread