Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I have had that happen a bit as well. Only the nomad though. I use the rover an insane amount and never have the eject problems with the nomad. It had stopped for me in the latest patch so I assumed it was fixed, but now it seems you have caught the bug!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I would settle for being able to alt tab in and out of game without the mouse cursor staying in the middle of my screen forever.

Or windowed full screen that worked would also be nice!

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer
Can someone help me out and tell me how to complete the Artemis mission where I need to visit a multitool trader? It says to visit a multitool trader in a Vy'keen system, but following the mission waypoints, it's had me make like 20 jumps and it still goes off into forever. Do I have to get to a specific system that is apparently thousands or tens of thousands of lightyears away, or can I go to any Vy'keen system, and I just don't know who to go to because there's no waypoint? Because I feel like I'm going to be chasing this thing on the galaxy map forever and it's getting ridiculous.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Are you sure you're following the right waypoint? Make sure that mission is your active one then make sure the "current mission" waypoint is selected on the galaxy map.

When I did that one it gave me a system one jump away from where I was.

If all that is right already then... :shrug: submit a bug report I guess.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but there was a patch yesterday. For your convenience I have bolded the good bits.

quote:

Thanks for all your continued feedback - we’ve been listening carefully and have continued to make a number of improvements and today we're releasing Patch 1.38. In this patch we’re introducing an overhauled save system, which makes managing saves between game modes much easier. Read on for full patch notes!

New save system

You will now be presented with 5 save-game slots (each of which can be used for any game mode). Your existing saves will be mapped into these slots
Selecting an empty slot will start a new game, allowing you to then pick which game mode to play from the mode select menu
There are now two sub-slots for each save-game - one for auto saves, one for manual saves
Starting a new game with no existing saves will take you directly to mode select

If you experience any problems with the new save system, be sure to let us know[hellogames.zendesk.com]!

Improvements & changes

Made the temperature range of dead planets more varied
In-flight weather effects now vary in strength based on height
The Analysis Visor can now be used to scan farm plants and see the remaining growth time
Analysis Visor can scan ships to determine their class, type and value at a distance
The Analysis Visor can be used to see the approximate distance of resources discovered with the Scanner
Added error message when no outpost is found by the economy scanner
Added the ability to skip black bars when discovering a planet or solar system
Prevented the cursor being reset to the center of the page as you switch between pause menus
Trade outposts now provide hazard protection
Added a chance for pirates to spawn earlier than usual when a player warps into a certain systems, to add more variety to exploration and trading
Galactic map now respects user mouse sensitivity settings
Galactic map now respects user control inversion settings
Prevented trade terminals having a negative quantity of stock
Made trading terminal stock values replenish over time
Separated stock levels for trading posts and space stations in the same system
Lush biomes in survival mode now occasionally exist without an aggressive sentinel presence
Reduced cursor UI slowdown when using a pad
Improved NPC ship target selection in space battles, prevented them reacting to accidental player fire
Added exotic ship audio for AI and NPC ships
Added ability to transfer items to and from containers in your base or freighter
Added tooltip text to explain the planet icons on the discovery page
Added ability to sell items from ship cargo slots at terminals
Storms on humid/lush planets are no longer toxic; humid/lush planets now have a chance of their rain being very hot. Note: no new storms have been added, and the frequency of storms has not been adjusted. Humid planets that previously had freezing rain storms in 1.3 have had that storm type changes to heated rain.
Added ability to transfer items from cargo slots during maintenance interactions
Improved trading by giving NPCs independent stock levels
Made NPCs who give directions refer to a wider spread of locations
Added ability to rebind the discard key

Bug fixes
Fixed an issue where some delivery missions would continuously tell players to visit other systems
Fixed an issue where the requirements to complete some missions could change as you spoke to NPCs
Fixed scaling issues with creature feeding icons
Fixed an issue where mining units would occasionally incorrectly produce Heridium
Prevented mining units being placed inside each other
Fixed an issue where base parts, including storage containers, built outside the base building radius in unlimited building mode would not be transferred when the player moved to a new base
Fixed an issue where storm-prone planets could be labelled as ‘Mild’. Storm frequency has not been adjusted - the text should now more accurately describe weather conditions.
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator audio would occasionally continue after terrain editing completed
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator hologram would remain in one location after subtracting from the terrain
Fixed an issue where the terrain manipulator would occasionally create longer lines than intended
Fixed an issue where the ship crosshair would appear at incorrect times
Fixed the Upload All button on the discovery page not deactivating after being used
Corrected button prompts in the ship combat wiki
Restored Spectral Class to the galaxy map text
Prevented users occasionally falling outside the trading post platform when exiting their ship
Prevented traders from attacking pirates which are far out of their range
Fixed an issue where NPC ships would stop outside the entrance of freighters and space stations in systems with no trade routes
Fixed an issue where smaller freighters and containers could not be destroyed
Corrected Roamer and Rover inventories appearing incorrectly in the transfer window
Added protection to allow the Mind Arc step of the Artemis story to be completed even if a player deletes their base
Fixed issue where a blue eye icon would occasionally appear over the crosshair
Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly could remain in the player's home system indefinitely
Fixed an issue with dismantling tech on ship compare screens not correctly destroying the tech
Fixed an issue where unbinding a key would exit the control menu
Fixed an issue where selecting a new key binding could accidentally result in it being set to a mouse button
Fixed an issue where the Space Anomaly mission had no objective text in the log.
Fixed an issue where some players who should have been able to restart distant missions were unable to do so
Fixed an issue which could cause excess stacked inventory items to be lost

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Are you sure you're following the right waypoint? Make sure that mission is your active one then make sure the "current mission" waypoint is selected on the galaxy map.

When I did that one it gave me a system one jump away from where I was.

If all that is right already then... :shrug: submit a bug report I guess.

Completely positive. It's not fun not even knowing where target is after all these jumps.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo,

Palleon posted:

Completely positive. It's not fun not even knowing where target is after all these jumps.

You may have to restart that quest. I had a quest that led no where just like that and just restarted. There was no end to the jumps.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been having a great time with the latest major update and associated patches, definitely has some issues still but way better than when I left it a month or so after the foundation update

Caught up on the thread and I gotta say to those have trouble with space combat, the default ship gun is all I've been using with associated upgrades, if you feather the fire button rather than hold it down, it takes ten times longer to overheat than holding it down. Definitely worth a shot. Also probably better to sit still rather than follow targets.

Also I saw a really nice yellow exotic ship that I wanted but didn't want to give up my a class 48 slot hauler, so I thought I'd bring my freighter in system to try and lure it in there. Seems that since I already have an exotic ship of the same type, that the yellow one isn't showing up anymore, hung out in the space station for about an hour with a disposable lovely fighter ship (a good idea if you've got cash to spare is keep a disposable ship you can swap for one you want) while I did other things listening for the telltale sound of the exotic ships, and it never returned.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I've put a ton of time into 1.3 but haven't seen a single exotic ship. Do they show up in any old system? I haven't found a Warp Reactor Theta yet so haven't been able to visit any blue stars.

Anyways, 1.3 has been fun and is deffo more of a game, but I'm going to take a break and see what comes with 1.4 before I get too bored of the whole thing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I believe every system has a single exotic ship in it somewhere, and they show up pretty rarely. I hung out at an opulent system trade post for a while where a ton of ships came and went, and the exotic for that system showed up three times in about an hour.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

High Lord Elbow posted:

I would settle for being able to alt tab in and out of game without the mouse cursor staying in the middle of my screen forever.

Or windowed full screen that worked would also be nice!

If you are having the problem where the full screen window has a border even though it's not supposed to, I was able to fix this by creating a shortcut to the exe and adding -w -popupwindow after the target.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Man, I was getting forcefully ejected out of my nomad last night. Thankfully it appears you may not be able to die from falling, but the last time when I landed I was a 5m30s walk from my rover. Of course, this seemed to coincide with a storm warning, so I had to find or make a cave. I guess I should submit a bug.

I also loaded my save a few weeks ago and all the terrain manipulation I’d done around my base was gone. I’d put my storage containers in a cave I built (which had no environmental protection of course), which was gone; and the bridge I’d built for accessing the top of a large cliff adjacent to my base.. also gone. Bummer. maybe a patch wiped them out.

Oh, I’d also recently upped the “BaseBuildingLimit” to 9000 in the config file, because I couldn’t plant anymore and I wasn’t nearly done. Seems to have no downsides I can see thus far.

Edit: Oh yeah, one of the nomad ejects caused me to fall through the map into the underground ‘lake’ with my slots full of loot. Thankfully I was able to terrain manipulate myself a hole I was able to barely jetpack into.. it was a close one.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 11, 2017

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe every system has a single exotic ship in it somewhere, and they show up pretty rarely. I hung out at an opulent system trade post for a while where a ton of ships came and went, and the exotic for that system showed up three times in about an hour.
If you build a landing platform and leave it unoccupied, people will fly in like it's a trading post. That's how I got my exotic. Less ship hunting, more Korvax delivering you poo poo while you farm.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Found a [REDACTED] planet this morning:

The weather was "Memories of Winter"

Kinda cool but devoid of anything of use.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's loving rad.

It boggles my mind why Hello Games doesn't just ask for user-created planets, or biome types, or whatever. Offer a bounty for good creations, or something. Make the fantasy of planet tourism a reality in NMS, worlds like that one are amazing and expanding upon the standard six or so planet types would be great. Make more than just a single special plant type grow on a given planet, make Coprite flowers grow in certain locations, etc.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strange that I found this planet.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

Jibo posted:

Kinda cool but devoid of anything of use.

New thread title.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Remember when the game was supposed to have worms?

Anyway, remaining NMS fans, that's from Osiris: New Dawn, a game where, apparently... you crashland on an alien planet, collect minerals, explore, discover native wildlife, build and upgrade a base, build and upgrade equipment, and then repair your spaceship so you can continue this loop on other planets.

I haven't played it yet, but the worm made me think of No Man's Sky and then I figured I should share the fact that it exists because at least on paper it seems to check off a lot of the things that made people excited for NMS

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Fantastipotamus posted:

Man, I was getting forcefully ejected out of my nomad last night. Thankfully it appears you may not be able to die from falling, but the last time when I landed I was a 5m30s walk from my rover. Of course, this seemed to coincide with a storm warning, so I had to find or make a cave. I guess I should submit a bug.

I had this problem too, and one thing I found is that it happens a lot less if you make absolutely sure to let the Nomad come to a complete stop before you hit 'e'. Just let it sit a second and make sure it's not sliding on a hillside or something. It's not foolproof but for a while I was getting ejected every time and this cut it down tremendously.

I've found a couple of those space jacks worlds. On one of them, the stacked jacks were a plant.

Here's another cool exotic dead planet I found a while ago. I can't remember the planet type. The sentinels were plentiful and on extreme rear end in a top hat mode so I didn't stay to look around much.

also lol

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Are they dickrocks or dickplants?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
neither, they're foreskin fungi

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

clone on the phone posted:

Are they dickrocks or dickplants?

Solid wood!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Ok, I've logged nearly 100 hours in this game and only have a sigma warp reactor.

All I want to know is the most time effective way to get to the top tier of warp reactor so that I'm not locked out of star systems any more.

Unfortunately, virtually all of the information available for this game is over a year old because the game was initially so poorly received.

Any tips?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Go to gek systems (get a species scanner if you haven't yet) and hyperdrive upgrades will be randomly available from the blueprint vendor. Polo also gives you the top tier blueprint near the end of his quest chain to turn in milestone data, but I got it from a vendor long before then.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

Ok, I've logged nearly 100 hours in this game and only have a sigma warp reactor.

All I want to know is the most time effective way to get to the top tier of warp reactor so that I'm not locked out of star systems any more.

Unfortunately, virtually all of the information available for this game is over a year old because the game was initially so poorly received.

Any tips?

Get the species scanner installed on your multi-tool and then you have to scan all the critters on 10 planets to complete the quest line for Polo. There are a few other bench marks you have to meet to complete it as well. Also you can get lucky and get it from a Gek system, but you are totally at the mercy of the RNG to get it or not. The RNG has not been kind to me in this game at all.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Or grind up the money for a freighter. They are not limited to what type of star systems they can visit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
https://kotaku.com/no-mans-sky-players-have-a-space-government-politics-a-1819851744

:stare:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I bought this game on sale and have been having a good time with it so far. Is there a good way to get a multitool to spawn? I've been checking every structure imaginable for them but I only saw one and it was when I was too poor to afford it, and now I have no idea how to find a new one and I'm still using the starter one and it's driving me loving insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is it on sale somewhere?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Bushiz posted:

I bought this game on sale and have been having a good time with it so far. Is there a good way to get a multitool to spawn? I've been checking every structure imaginable for them but I only saw one and it was when I was too poor to afford it, and now I have no idea how to find a new one and I'm still using the starter one and it's driving me loving insane.

Look for structures with aliens in on Vy'Keen worlds, there's a good chance there will be a multitool for sale on a wall. Also on Vy'keen worlds (they are the weapon guys) Monoliths will sometimes give a multitool and the random NPC interactions will sometimes.

Aside from that, there is always one on Polo and Nada's anomaly, but it usually sucks.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it on sale somewhere?

Steam had it on sale a week ago.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

drat, missed it!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you put it on your wishlist steam will email you/activate a notification in the steam mobile app when games on your wishlist go on sale.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+man%27s+sky+pc&tbm=shop

Just Sayin'.

(top site on that list is a legit reseller, not a shady piece of poo poo like Kinguin or whatever. Have used them many times with no complaints)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
This game is in a weird place right now. Definitely much better than release but with the most expensive functional item in the game being a high capacity freighter, it seems weird that it's of no real use but for storage of resources.

I'm about to spend hundreds of millions on a freighter and then what? Realistically, a freighter can make it easier to make larger amounts of money, but since its the most expensive item in the game there's no point. Feels a bit backwards.

The game needs some endgame purchases. Maybe the ability to purchase entire planets so you can have multiple bases and the ability to build automatic processing plants on owned planets which automatically harvest the planets resources for you.

Then those resources can be used to build a massively resource intensive space station that is modular (with upgrades such as a freighter dock and ship storage as well as item/resources warehousing) and customisable.

Or something like that. Just feels weird to have such a massive ship that doesn't have much of a purpose.

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

This game is in a weird place right now. Definitely much better than release but with the most expensive functional item in the game being a high capacity freighter, it seems weird that it's of no real use but for storage of resources.

I'm about to spend hundreds of millions on a freighter and then what? Realistically, a freighter can make it easier to make larger amounts of money, but since its the most expensive item in the game there's no point. Feels a bit backwards.

The game needs some endgame purchases. Maybe the ability to purchase entire planets so you can have multiple bases and the ability to build automatic processing plants on owned planets which automatically harvest the planets resources for you.

Then those resources can be used to build a massively resource intensive space station that is modular (with upgrades such as a freighter dock and ship storage as well as item/resources warehousing) and customisable.

Or something like that. Just feels weird to have such a massive ship that doesn't have much of a purpose.

I just picked up an S class freighter which was a surprise as I had no idea that they even existed. Still trying to get the Freighter warp theta though. I have no idea how many Gek systems I have been to trying to get it. Once you get the ability to make those gizmos that sell for 18 or so million each, money ceases to be a problem. Being able to buy and customize a space station would be pretty cool. Hopefully the next update if there is one will do more with the end game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So it's almost been 3 months since the update. I wonder if there's at least a small update coming, given that 3 months between updates has been their schedule so far?

edit: OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD YES

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/65daysofstatic-band-algomech-festival-performance-no-mans-sky-decomposition-theory

I LITERALLY JOKED ABOUT "PROCEDRUALLY GENERATED POST ROCK" last year, they're definitely on my level

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That's rad, the one thing No Man's Sky couldn't be faulted for even day one was that the soundtrack by 65 days of static was excellent. I've been tempted to pick up the vinyl because I'm a fan of coloured records.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just started out, found a crashed ship. The red inventory spots need to be repaired right? It's a better ship but I don't have any room to transfer my stuff to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwamp
Apr 18, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Just started out, found a crashed ship. The red inventory spots need to be repaired right? It's a better ship but I don't have any room to transfer my stuff to it.

Yep, you gotta repair those.

• Locked thread