Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmbzUE6UAY

You know what's dragging down the Warriors franchise? Not having an insane hong kong dub like it used to have early on in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOmbzUE6UAY

You know what's dragging down the Warriors franchise? Not having an insane hong kong dub like it used to have early on in the series.

The fact that they pronounce Cao Cao correctly (Tsao Tsao) and not the best way (Cow Cow) is such a shame.

Edit: "I am Cao Pi"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Aleph Null posted:

I played through Witcher 1 (the super-enhanced edition that had all the fixes in it) three times over the course of a couple of years It was a great game with a story unlike any I had seen (because I'm an American who never travels out of the country). It introduced me to a whole set of mythology I didn't know existed. It was novel, new, and interesting. And the twist that Raymond was dead pretty much the whole time was unexpected and well-done.

I tried playing Witcher 2. I had trouble getting past the tutorial. The controls were so different and I couldn't get the hang of them. Also, the graphics were just bad on my system (which was old to be sure). I couldn't see the enemies because they blended in to the environment. I couldn't get myself facing the right direction. I couldn't get parrying or whatever they called it to work consistently. I even bought a controller to see if that helped and it didn't really.
I never finished it. I did make it out of the tutorial by finding a way to skip it, but the other issues remained and I eventually just gave up. There was this giant spider that killed me every time I found it, for example. I was just bad at the game in a way that didn't come up in the first one.

I never bothered with Witcher 3.

I did really enjoy the story/environment in 1 since it was so different from most fantasy settings. The gameplay was whatever, but good enough for me. The enhanced edition was at least, the base edition with its insane load times I found virtually unplayable.

The Witcher 2 felt like the biggest chore to play of the three, which is saying something. I enjoyed going through it but no way am I ever going back to see the alternate act 2.

The Witcher 3 is unquestionably the best one though.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

im pooping! posted:

You get dinged for insurance if you blow up someone's car, but are ways to exploit it so you don't get dinged. For instance, if you ram their car into water you won't get dinged. Also it's incredibly easy to grief people. My strategy is go into passive mode and follow them while honking the horn. Extra points if they are talking and their microphone is picking up the horn from their own TV. You aren't penalized for straight up killing people, as a matter of fact you are rewarded for it because if you can rack up a big enough bounty from upset people you can easily claim it by going into your apartment and eating a sandwich or watching netflix.

Pretty much the most fun I had in GTA Online was just planting sticky bombs outside my apartment right by one of the car upgrade places, luring in the people that I had previously been trolling by blowing up their cars as soon as they came out of said car upgrade place, then blowing them up while watching on the TV in my apartment.

Then putting more bombs down while they were furiously driving back to kill me, and repeating.

Spent a good hour doing this, then a few of them put their expensive cars outside my apartment so they got blown up too, and I got kicked to a 'cheaters' server where I had to wear a dunce hat and got sniped from the other side of the city.

Apparently killing people and blowing stuff up is frowned upon in GTA or something.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I finished Witcher 1 (Enhanced) and 3 and felt pretty good about them, but I could not stand combat in 2. I got through the tutorial and started the first major chapter and gave up. They each control pretty differently though, especially the latter two compared to the first, so it feels like if the gameplay put you off of one, that doesn't say much about how you might like the next.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I didn't play The Witcher 2 until after the third came out, because I never made it past the first act of the first game. That drat dog just kept killing me, and I never could figure out how to kill it before it kills me. I even postponed going past the prologue of W2 to try the first game again, and still didn't make it past the dog. So I said 'gently caress it', and continued with 2 and 3 and had a good time with them.

That dog sucks.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Witcher 2 has a screwed up difficulty curve where the first act is the hardest part by far. It's not balanced at all for Geralt's increasing power- I put everything into the Combat skill tree and by the last third of the game nothing can touch you.

That said, I still think it's a good game. Compared to the way Witcher 1 and 3's stories sprawl out, I like Witcher 2's tighter focus. It also looks really, really good for a game from 2011.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What dog in Witcher 2?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Divinity: Original Sin has a bunch of good and bad things but one tiny feature that really annoys me is how the game neither pauses nor mutes when you're on the buy/sell screen. While I'm looking through my inventory for all the junk I want to sell, nearby NPCs keep repeating the same goddamn lines over and over.

Considering how obsessive I can get with looting in these games, it can be really frustrating.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I know Knights of the Old Republic 2 was rushed out the door unfinished, but the ending on Malachor really loving drags. Why couldn't a couple of hours of dull grinding combat be one of the things to get cut?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What dog in Witcher 2?

I think he misremembered W2. You fight a barghest in W1, that indeed was a hard fight.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I thought he was talking about the first game?

Inco posted:

I didn't play The Witcher 2 until after the third came out, because I never made it past the first act of the first game. That drat dog just kept killing me, and I never could figure out how to kill it before it kills me. I even postponed going past the prologue of W2 to try the first game again, and still didn't make it past the dog. So I said 'gently caress it', and continued with 2 and 3 and had a good time with them.

That dog sucks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

How do you actually fail against the dog :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

The Beast is an awful boss fight that will kill you in seconds unless you use Aard and one-shot it. I don't blame people for being stymied by it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MiddleOne posted:

Fight starts -> get stunned before I can do anything -> die
Reload
Watch lengthy cutscenes
Fight starts -> get stunned -> die
Reload
Watch lengthy cutscenes
Fight starts -> cast Aard -> RNG rules against me, dog is not stunned -> get stunned -> die
and so on until I was sick of sitting through the cutscenes. I did try to drop a save at the beginning of the fight, but the dog is on you almost immediately and I ended up saving as the dog was performing the stun move against me.

Inco has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Oct 11, 2017

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Man, Just Cause 3 is glitchy in a way that Goat Simulator thought was hilarious, I've been catapulted across the map from grappling onto cars several times now. Also some of the challenges are bugged and its a bit poo poo that a so-called AAA game didn't get the most egregious mishaps patched out quickly or indeed at all.

Its still a fun game, but I'm always waiting for the next thing to make me go oh for fucks sake now.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

Oxxidation posted:

The Beast is an awful boss fight that will kill you in seconds unless you use Aard and one-shot it. I don't blame people for being stymied by it.

Inco posted:

Fight starts -> get stunned before I can do anything -> die
Reload
Watch lengthy cutscenes
Fight starts -> get stunned -> die
Reload
Watch lengthy cutscenes
Fight starts -> cast Aard -> RNG rules against me, dog is not stunned -> get stunned -> die
and so on until I was sick of sitting through the cutscenes. I did try to drop a save at the beginning of the fight, but the dog is on you almost immediately and I ended up saving as the dog was performing the stun move against me.
Witcher 1 Act 1 end fight:
I vaguely remembering you having to had made a certain Sword oil + apply it during the fight, otherwise the Beast was unkillable.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which did nothing against the stuns.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

poptart_fairy posted:

Which did nothing against the stuns.

Ok, I remember rolling around alot so the beast would target the witch, then I'd dance-click-attack.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

The fact that they pronounce Cao Cao correctly (Tsao Tsao) and not the best way (Cow Cow) is such a shame.

Edit: "I am Cao Pi"

I'm Cao Cao for Cocoa puffs!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inferior posted:

Witcher 2 has a screwed up difficulty curve where the first act is the hardest part by far. It's not balanced at all for Geralt's increasing power- I put everything into the Combat skill tree and by the last third of the game nothing can touch you.

That said, I still think it's a good game. Compared to the way Witcher 1 and 3's stories sprawl out, I like Witcher 2's tighter focus. It also looks really, really good for a game from 2011.

It's seriously pretty, yeah.

I wish it was a better game, because it does so much cool stuff. But then it has weird janky bits like quests finishing without you or the main villains having to pause and explain two different plots that happened offscreen.

The opening of chapter 2 is my favourite, especially Iorveth's path, for how suddenly everything escalates. Everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and there's no time to explain because more poo poo is about to hit the fan.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
The patch to put the total warhammer 1 content into 2 comes out the same day (maybe, timezone dependent) as The New Colossus :negative:

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Post poste posted:

I meant as a whole separate thing, like story A / B in Nemesis...

Ah, ok. The most it looks like anyone's gonna get outside of Zoe's dlc and Mia's fun boat adventures is the free "Not a hero" DLC that's coming out soon I think?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

The Beast early on was savage. I believe they fixed things about it by the Enhanced edition and smoothed out the difficulty curve a bit.

The first Witcher was all about making sure you had a good save handy so you could do a fight, lose, and then reload and apply all the oils and poo poo before the fight.

I bounced hard off Witcher 2 though, not sure why. The starting area was difficult for no good reason, and I fought that stupid bug queen too many times. Eventually I just saturated the area with traps and as soon as it ran at me it triggered 30 traps at once and died.

Witcher 3 is good, but I have a hard time really getting into it. When I play it I have a good time, its just it demands so much time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I played the original, un-enhanced version of 1 and literally remember none of this bad stuff. I guess I was exactly the sorta grog the game was made for?

2 was, well. I didn't like the combat because it was so different from 1. And 3 was just, blegh. The combat felt like the worst of Batman floatiness between enemies combined with an inability to handle slight inclines.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Suleman posted:

Divinity: Original Sin has a bunch of good and bad things but one tiny feature that really annoys me is how the game neither pauses nor mutes when you're on the buy/sell screen. While I'm looking through my inventory for all the junk I want to sell, nearby NPCs keep repeating the same goddamn lines over and over.

Considering how obsessive I can get with looting in these games, it can be really frustrating.

The best thing about the second game is that the market NPC's don't scream every single second. Every day, "potions to bemuscle you, scrolls to entoussle you!" still pops into my head unbidden.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

New Butt Order posted:

Every day, "potions to bemuscle you, scrolls to entoussle you!" still pops into my head unbidden.

And now it will mine.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Gitro posted:

The patch to put the total warhammer 1 content into 2 comes out the same day (maybe, timezone dependent) as The New Colossus :negative:
Oh goddammit. :(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CitizenKain posted:

The Beast early on was savage. I believe they fixed things about it by the Enhanced edition and smoothed

I was starting to wonder if my memory is just broken from all the replies but there we have it. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I was starting to wonder if my memory is just broken from all the replies but there we have it. :v:

It's exactly what happened. If you search for old guides or tips or hell even the old "what should I know before playing the game page" from here on SA everything will just be the letters AARD in increasingly large font. Now nobody realizes how poo poo that fight was.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

The best thing about the second game is that the market NPC's don't scream every single second. Every day, "potions to bemuscle you, scrolls to entoussle you!" still pops into my head unbidden.

There are still a couple fights I've run into where a nearby non-fighting NPC will make noises or repeat annoying lines for the whole fight so you get to enjoy the shrillest, most obnoxious voice shouting

:byodood: The flames! Douse the flames! :byodood:
:byodood: The flames will burn me forever! :byodood:
:byodood: The flames! Douse the flames! :byodood:

while you're trying to think of your next move.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One way to fight the Beast is to get blind drunk. The stun it uses is the 'pain' condition, and being drunk enough makes you immune to pain.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I really wish I loved The Witcher games as much as the rest of the internet but each one I've played for like a dozen hours and then dropped when I realized I wasn't actually having any fun. 3 was especially disappointing because I'd heard so much hype about how it was an open world game that was full of unique content and actually justified the format and then when I actually played it it was still just running around checking off icons on your map only occasionally you'd have to turn on detective vision and follow a glowing trail instead of a quest marker.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Lone Badger posted:

One way to fight the Beast is to get blind drunk. The stun it uses is the 'pain' condition, and being drunk enough makes you immune to pain.

I feel that this should be a tactic in any situation.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Geralt is a super badass with powers and 2 (2!) swords who has awesome adventures and I wish I were him and he were me

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

i left the titty tattoo on my neck that i got in witcher 2, it seems so out of character for him that i smile every time i see it in witcher 3

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

im pooping! posted:

i left the titty tattoo on my neck that i got in witcher 2, it seems so out of character for him that i smile every time i see it in witcher 3

Geralt is a guy who gets super drunk and does terrible life decisions, you should know this

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It's super in-character.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I really wish I'd been able to get into Witcher 3 because everyone I know raves about it but I bounced off it hard. The combat and movement controls felt sticky and unresponsive, not so badly it was unplayable but enough that traversing the world felt like a chore; when I got through the opening map and hit the second, even more enormous map I literally couldn't face continuing. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the quests I'd done and the world is gorgeous.

Also there were like, 3 bath scenes within the opening few hours of the game which is just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Geralt is a guy who gets super drunk and does terrible life decisions, you should know this

he seems like he takes himself too seriously, maybe its the way i choose his responses because its lots of brooding and matter of fact 'im a witcher' which i interpret as 'i will murder you'. im like half way through the last wish so i cant rightly say if he is different in the books but dandelion and zoltan are more like the get super drunk and tattoo naked ladies on your neck type of people than geralt.