Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If literally no one watched ESPN tomorrow, they would still get paid from cable fees regardless

It's not all about fees though. I'd imagine these days that there are probably more people watching their stuff regularly that disagree with her than agree with her just based on general current tv demographic trends.

Even if you get the fees of those people, if they stop watching it hurts your ad revenue, could hurt future carrier negotiations, etc. they're going to piss people off one way or the other. It's a matter of what causes the least amount of damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/917701841466593280

Also why is "tanked" in quotes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He puts random words in quotes all the time. There's not a discernible reason.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hands up if you're shocked to hear there's yet another womanizing shithead in sports media

It's NESN's Marc James

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

a reminder as the us did not make the world cup

https://twitter.com/BrodyLogan/status/917931461822570497

:mmmhmm:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

$400m is nothing though

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

$400m is nothing though
It is when it's essentially wasted.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm okay with Fox wasting money. They should keep doing it more often.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It's not wasted.
Sure they won't have the USMNT but there's not exactly a shortage of people who will watch the final and probably the semis too. Ignoring all the emigrants who will stay up home to watch their team do things at the world cup.

Besides, lets not kid ourselves: how far were the US going to go anyway?
Fox lost a spike of interest from the group stage and maybe (but probably not) the second round.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They'll relegate some games to a pay app now to recoup costs. Just wait.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It was 95% wasted. Fox was going to pour hundreds of hours into this coverage and losing their primary market country team is a huge loss. Obviously Fox didn't expect the US to miss it but let's not kid ourselves, this takes an enormous chunk of their audience out of the equation and they're going to be extremely hard pressed to give advertisers a good value for what they likely already paid.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah, the USA games typically have higher ratings than the final. This is a huge loss for Fox. The USA-Portugal match in 2014 is the most watched soccer game in American history.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Does Fox have Spanish language rights too? Be careful at looking at US TV ratings for the 2014 world cup because sometimes they add in Univision's numbers.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ElwoodCuse posted:

Does Fox have Spanish language rights too? Be careful at looking at US TV ratings for the 2014 world cup because sometimes they add in Univision's numbers.

it's telemundo

they'll be fine, imo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fox at this point has to go all in on coverage for Mexico and maybe Germany since they have the Bundesliga rights. It was already going to be tough going given the time difference, especially in comparison to the Brazil WC, now you lose a vast majority of casual fans and that's going to make things all the harder for them.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Oh yeah these are all going to be early morning games East Coast, huh. Not even mid-afternoon like the Champions League?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh yeah these are all going to be early morning games East Coast, huh. Not even mid-afternoon like the Champions League?

I don't think the schedule's been made official yet, but yeah it'll likely play out like the Sochi Olympics where things are either going to be very early or very late for eastern time zone.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The BBC is currently in the process of broadcasting a two hour radio documentary about Kaepernick & the protests and it's fascinating stuff, if also slightly terrifying

edit: Jason Whitlock has been featured, and oh my god I see what y'all say about him

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 11, 2017

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

if you don't listen to the Dan Le Batard show's local hour, they interviewed the woman who leaked the Miami Dolphins cocaine video. here it is uncensored from their internet feed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4P4gA0jq8Kc2hjREhkY3d1dkk/view

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

if you don't listen to the Dan Le Batard show's local hour, they interviewed the woman who leaked the Miami Dolphins cocaine video. here it is uncensored from their internet feed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw4P4gA0jq8Kc2hjREhkY3d1dkk/view

one of the strangest interviews/stories I've ever heard.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

BWV posted:

nothing will ever top it, and her ending it with "have a blessed day" is perfect

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BWV posted:

seriously :stare:

Troy Queef posted:

her ending it with "have a blessed day" is perfect

god is that true too

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

edit: Jason Whitlock has been featured, and oh my god I see what y'all say about him

I hate that Uncle Tom mothefucker.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

He makes Uncle Tom look like Malcom X

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The very first segment he was on, and they used him four times, he said almost verbatim: "Look, I'm not here to say whether anyone is black enough but... *runs off a dozen reasons why Colin Kaepernick isn't in fact black at all". Another time he said that Trump isn't a white supremacist scumbag but just a troll, and in the last one he said with a straight face that Kaepernick isn't being blackballed, he's just a really poo poo quarter back but which point even Mark Chapman, who presents the UK's NFL programming on the BBC and genuinely loves the sport, started wondering out aloud about Whitlock's credentials about anything

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BasicFunk posted:

Uncle Tom at least stands up for himself at least once in the book

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If, for some reason, you want to stay up way too late to watch an edgy shithead talk to PFTCommenter every week, well now you can do that starting Tuesday night on ESPN2 at 1AM

https://twitter.com/PardonMyTake/status/918805438745010176

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I thought you were calling PFTCommenter an edgy shitlord at first

Given the Barstool meltdown last week and the overall Barstoolness of it all, what's the O/U on episodes for this? 5.5?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Spoeank posted:

I thought you were calling PFTCommenter an edgy shitlord at first

Given the Barstool meltdown last week and the overall Barstoolness of it all, what's the O/U on episodes for this? 5.5?

Are we assuming they take a run at the NFL and/or Trump?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
They'll get a big push for about a month after debuting, quietly get moved around timeslots when ratings don't immediately pop, then spend the rest of their contract farting around at 3:30 a.m. on ESPNews or whatever

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Benne posted:

They'll get a big push for about a month after debuting, quietly get moved around timeslots when ratings don't immediately pop, then spend the rest of their contract farting around at 3:30 a.m. on ESPNews or whatever

They're on at one in the morning ET ratings aren't gonna be poo poo. This is for web views and social media clicks.

If they were serious about ratings they'd book them in the afternoon.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/deadspin/status/919752388088614914

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A joke that landed worse than Hurricane Harvey

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thaddius the Large posted:

A joke that landed worse than Hurricane Harvey

:drat:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

if al gets fired over that i’ll hate the internet so much

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Looks like Tirico will be calling games in 2018.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I laughed, but that's definitely not a 'national broadcast' type of joke.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

GobiasIndustries posted:

I laughed, but that's definitely not a 'national broadcast' type of joke.

It's not even a very good joke.

It's lame and tasteless a poor combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

if al gets fired over that i’ll hate the internet so much
Looks like someone doesn't care about women assaulted by Harvey Weinstein! Anyone who mentions his name and does anything but condemn his actions in the same breath should be fired!