Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
When I've bought US mres from UK eBay sellers they've arrived with baltic postage on them so at least over here it's nato allies pocketing them and selling them on. Thanks Americans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

The dude I buy MREs from locally is associated with one of the wild land fire departments and they get issued them. He hates them.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

occamsnailfile posted:

I read somewhere specifically that veterans are allowed to purchase them from PXs though I don't know at what cost. Once they buy them they're private property no matter what the bag says, but I don't know what cost or volume they can get.

They cost something like $8.50 each. It's not just vets, anybody with access to a Commissary can buy them (never seen them for sale at a PX but it's basically the same idea). So vets, active duty, reserve/NG, dependents, government employees, etc.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I don't know if anyone watches the YouTube channel Emmy Madeinjapan, but she eats and reviews MREs from different countries. So in case any MRE connoisseurs want to watch before they buy, that's as good of a place to look as any.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

When I've bought US mres from UK eBay sellers they've arrived with baltic postage on them so at least over here it's nato allies pocketing them and selling them on. Thanks Americans!

A large number of MREs sent to the Ukraine ended up falling off the back of a truck in a similar fashion.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

A buddy who collects this poo poo gave me- two cases MREs, and assorted individual rations from around the world. Super excited to try poo poo.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I haven't really dig into any of yet, but the chocolate that comes in the Russian Mountain Ration is my favorite non-dark chocolate ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

I haven't really dig into any of yet, but the chocolate that comes in the Russian Mountain Ration is my favorite non-dark chocolate ever.

The Russian ration has very few good components, and the chocolate is one of them.

I'm also partial to their beef stew and chicken & rice dishes. Much, much better than "tourist's breakfast" or yet another plate of impossibly greasy kasha.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All the Russian chocolate I've ever had was really good, I'm not sure why. It's such a joyful thing I wouldn't expect Russia to be into it. :v:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

All the Russian chocolate I've ever had was really good, I'm not sure why. It's such a joyful thing I wouldn't expect Russia to be into it. :v:

Ukrainian chocolate is quite nice as well, as are Roshen Minky-Binky candies.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
I wonder if Russian chocolate is good because of the soviet "one version of everything" system? Russian friends/my own reading have told me that sometimes whatever soviet version of an item existed was really good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Theokotos posted:

I wonder if Russian chocolate is good because of the soviet "one version of everything" system? Russian friends/my own reading have told me that sometimes whatever soviet version of an item existed was really good.

I mean, I've also had some Russian food that was absolutely terrible. I think it really depends on exactly what the product is, with luxury goods like chocolate being great and regular stuff like canned meat products being bland and coating your mouth with thick grease.

I have eaten tushonka though, and for the most part it tastes similar to Spam surrounded by fat. If it wasn't for being packed in fat, it would basically just be round Spam.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Russian candy is great. I would demolish anything that came out of the Red October factory, although Rot Front wasn't bad either.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
Definitely, it makes sense for luxury stuff to be better quality.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

When I was overseas, there was a Georgian contractor who used to bring me Russian candy bars, because I was chill with him and didn't act like an rear end in a top hat. I miss him, and the chocolate. And his chick assistant was hot and flirted with me in broken English.

I wish I could find this stupid chocolate from the FSB Mountain Ration. It would be my go to candy for like, ever.

E- if anyone knows where to get the chocolate I am talking about, I will love you forever.

E2- apparently, it's a official government contractor and I can't find any place that sells it.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 11, 2017

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ensign Expendable posted:

Russian candy is great. I would demolish anything that came out of the Red October factory, although Rot Front wasn't bad either.

Rot front
sounds like a eerily well named candy factory, like if the He 177 was actually called the 'Grief' instead of the 'Greif'

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chinese Ration (Type 13)

Last year, we got to see the 2010 model of the PLA's ration, and it mostly came up wanting apart from a delicious moon cake. In 2013, the ration was redesigned with a brown bag and some new components. How does it stand up to the original?

Well, for the first time in military food history, it actually got worse.

The bag is little different from the Type 10 other than being brown instead of green.

Google Translate continues to be Google Translate.

There's some simple heating instructions on the back. Notice how the diagram uses an old Chinese canteen design instead of the more modern ones, which resemble NATO canteens.

On the work kitchen table, you see the entire contents of the ration. This is extremely sparse compared to most other countries, with even less food than the already weak Type 10.

There are two entree bags, which come already packed in the flameless ration heater and wrapped in a sort of foam insulating bag.

See that dust? I have no idea what it is, but both entree bags were coated in it. Even after I wiped it off, it returned after heating. I have some serious concerns.

Removed from the heater, these are covered in dust. What the hell?

The bags generate quite a bit of steam when cooking, far more than an American MRE.

Regardless of the ingredients, these were some of the blandest meals I've encountered. But they had a bigger problem, one which requires me to provide you with video evidence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCSyzEeXjF4

I've never encountered a ration entree so hard as to require chopping. It comes out of the heater practically feeling like there's a solid coating over it. It's a downright chore to try and get bite-sized pieces out of this bullshit.

This is your entire accessory pack: a spoon and a napkin.

The only side dish is this tiny little pack of chopped pickled cucumbers, which would be better used as a topping with how small the portion is.

The powdered beverage has a similar gross malty taste as the previous one, and I dumped most of it out. Amazingly, that tiny little bag it comes with is meant to be a portable cup! I can't imagine anyone but a ninja being able to mix and drink from that flimsy thing without spilling it everywhere.

And...that's it. Nothing else. Four items.

----------------

This is the most pathetic showing I've ever seen, and I've eaten loving cat food from Kazakhstan. I can't imagine even a small Chinese soldier getting sufficient food for a day of combat from this. It's deficient in virtually every category, and would be deficient in every category if it didn't include a heater.

I'm also 99% sure that powder on the bags is carcinogenic.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
China.food

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm also 99% sure that powder on the bags is carcinogenic.

I thought "Man from hot food fluorine pull new gamma" sounded ominous, yet appropriate

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
So that's where all that fake plastic rice is going.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Darkest Auer posted:

So that's where all that fake plastic rice is going.

That was my first thought.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, all those tiny Chinese soldiers really don't NEED much food now, do they?

(Seriously, People's Army needs to stage a coup. I doubt Li Keqiang is munching on a child's portion of plastic rice as we speak.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have also eaten a PLA ration and can confirm they're terrible. Grabbing any random item from a 7/11 would be vastly superior.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's not a bug, it's a feature so that you can eat the rice like a granola bar.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I feel like I offered this before and got lazy, but if you give screenshots that I can read I’d actually translate for realsies.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 25 minutes!
I can translate the rest of one of those sentences: "Half of your food was stolen due to poor hot food security."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

I feel like I offered this before and got lazy, but if you give screenshots that I can read I’d actually translate for realsies.

Unfortunately the bag has been thrown out long ago, so those pictures are all I have.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well crap.

I offered at least. Bonus : I don’t have to read god drat simplified.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So armies have not only cooked food, they've also created drinks. And part of the study of military food should also include the creation of military beverages.

I decided to start this by having some grog, made to the actual Royal Navy recipe: 4 parts water to 1 part rum, plus a dash of lime juice. I used Pusser's Blue Label, which purports to be the actual Royal Navy recipe.

Turns out it just tastes like exactly what it is: watered-down dark rum with a little lime. It would probably be really refreshing after a hard day's work, but you wouldn't want to actually settle down with a cup of this when you could just have a cup of rum.

I'm not really a homebrewer, but I think it would be interesting to make up some spruce beer. I do know what my next drink project will probably be, though: WW2 torpedo juice. 2 parts 90% alcohol and 3 parts pineapple juice.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Of course you only get the authentic flavour if you filter methylated spirits through burnt bread.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Of course you only get the authentic flavour if you filter methylated spirits through burnt bread.

I was going to tell him "Best of luck! Nice knowing you..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Unfortunately I don’t think I’m quite crazy enough to risk blindness. Maybe I can squeeze the alcohol through some bread and see what happens to the flavor anyway.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

chitoryu12 posted:

Turns out it just tastes like exactly what it is: watered-down dark rum with a little lime. It would probably be really refreshing after a hard day's work, but you wouldn't want to actually settle down with a cup of this when you could just have a cup of rum.

The reason for watering it down was not to make it taste better; it was done to prevent the sailors from drinking their entire :guinness:half pint:guinness: ration of rum in one go.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
I was about to say, I'd be interested to see someone recreate the various liquors mentioned in Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, but I don't want anyone to go blind or die. Forget about industrial contamination in your MRE; they didn't call it "popskull" for nothing.

I always look sideways at anything on a restaurant menu purporting to be "grog." You never know what it's going to be. I remember a legendarily bad Bar Rescue episode where their "grog" was a huge glass with three kinds of rum and what might have been blue curacao, which is just revolting.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 6, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

I was about to say, I'd be interested to see someone recreate the various liquors mentioned in Ken Burns' Civil War documentary, but I don't want anyone to go blind or die. Forget about industrial contamination in your MRE; they didn't call it "popskull" for nothing.

I always look sideways at anything on a restaurant menu purporting to be "grog." You never know what it's going to be. I remember a legendarily bad Bar Rescue episode where their "grog" was a huge glass with three kinds of rum and what might have been blue curacao, which is just revolting.

I do have a book on colonial drinks that would be interesting to try.

Also, check out chicory coffee some time. It adds a sort of nutty/dark chocolate flavor when used in moderation.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Come to think of it mojito is just grog done right.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I heard about a grape flavour field expedient 90% alcoholic beverage. Allegedly, American powdered drink crystals were the only thing that would make captured German ethanol palatable.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, check out chicory coffee some time. It adds a sort of nutty/dark chocolate flavor when used in moderation.
It's funny that things that used to be marks of poverty are now bourgie stuff. Chicory coffee, raw sugar, brown rice, leather clothes, and so on.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'm fond of pointing out that lobsters were originally ground up shell and all and served cold to prisoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ensign Expendable posted:

I heard about a grape flavour field expedient 90% alcoholic beverage. Allegedly, American powdered drink crystals were the only thing that would make captured German ethanol palatable.

Would this be replicable with MRE beverage powder and the aforementioned 180 proof alcohol?

• Locked thread