Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

While I don't think Patrick would flip on purpose he seems like he would blurt out valuable information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

What a whiny rear end baby.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

SteveVizsla posted:

He seems way more likely to flip out in general, though

Emotionally flip out, yeah, but he seemed pretty loyal at his core. Loyal to a fault, perhaps, based on his closing confessional and how hard he took the betrayal of trust

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I super respect "I've been bamboozled!" and "nice, blindside guys!"

This whining about liars on Survivor is weak as gently caress

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've never understood people showing up on a social game like survivor or big brother and getting butthurt about people lying. Like...that's the whole point of the game

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Patrick was weird, annoying, not even that great at challenges, completely unable to lie and, worst of all, unpredictable. He seemed like one of those jackasses who thinks he's hilarious because he amuses himself, completely oblivious to how he comes off to others. No self-awareness, and no social awareness; dude has basically nothing to offer anyone on Survivor, and would be an active detriment to any alliance he was in. Smartest vote-out yet, imo. I'm pleasantly surprised, because I was all ready to be super pissed at them for voting out Lauren.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing Lauren's game develop. I think she'll fly under the voting radar for a while now, since they're mixing up the tribes next week

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Good to see a genuine curveball, but I'm very annoyed by the past two episodes playing out as "Should we get rid of the weak misfit who might be a good ally, or the strong socially graceless dude?" while boring narration time-suck Ryan is sitting right there

One day people will learn to vote out the nerdy young white dude early on

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xbilkis posted:

One day people will learn to vote out the nerdy young white dude early on

Especially considering they all seem to be nazis these days

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Spergatory posted:

Patrick was weird, annoying, not even that great at challenges, completely unable to lie and, worst of all, unpredictable. He seemed like one of those jackasses who thinks he's hilarious because he amuses himself, completely oblivious to how he comes off to others. No self-awareness, and no social awareness; dude has basically nothing to offer anyone on Survivor, and would be an active detriment to any alliance he was in. Smartest vote-out yet, imo. I'm pleasantly surprised, because I was all ready to be super pissed at them for voting out Lauren.

He offered great rear end shots for the editors.

I was expecting Lauren to go but she laid out her case really well in tribal before Probst and Ryan hamfisted their analogies into it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Still catching up with the thread, but I found this cute little casting discussion between Parvati and Lynne Spillman because Reasons.

It's a pro-click. And I'm done talking poo poo about Lynne Spillman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgbV55tNmcQ

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hate Patrick but after the fifth "HEY MAN I PLAYED CENTER FIELD FOR 25 YEARS" I wanted them to take Lauren's torch and set her on fire

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jessica is a 29 year old virgin? :yikes:
Surprisingly tense tribal council in a week where one person undeniably blew the challenge.
We deserve a better Narrator than Ryan.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I couldn't care less about either person on the chopping block tonight.

Nonetheless I did get the vibe Patrick would have been more loyal going forward, though maybe not by a significant amount. Lauren doesn't seem eminently untrustworthy and I don't really see her gelling instantly with anybody in particular on the other two tribes. What may have been the kicker is the fact that Patrick had less chance of surviving the inevitable tribeswap before the merge, whereas Lauren will probably sneak through and be able to potentially reunite with the other 3 Hustlers.

Anyway this season is a bit of a yawnfest so far and I'm hoping some more interesting personalities emerge soon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, now that Lauren's survived til a swap she's almost guaranteed FTC Goat status. Even if she's the sole Hustler post-swap she's so non-threatening she can be looked over.

Ali might be the winner all of us are waiting with bated breath for but not dare to pin all our hopes on. Survivor rarely plays out well for smart attractive 20-something females unless your name is Parvati (I'd say Andrea too but despite her three games she hasn't actually performed amazingly). She's social enough to make friends, smart enough to have some wit about her, and nonthreatening enough that she could get passed over in favour of taking out someone like Desi instead.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AWarmBody posted:

Emotionally flip out, yeah, but he seemed pretty loyal at his core. Loyal to a fault, perhaps, based on his closing confessional and how hard he took the betrayal of trust
Lauren reads as a loyal no-nonsense person to me too, though. I think the key is, like they said at TC, in a swap or merge situation, people from other tribes could decide not to work with them because Patrick is an annoying goober. Also I feel like Ali knew all along that Patrick was a dipshit from knowing him before the game.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It doesn't master if Patrick's loyal because he's an unpredictable idiot who can't lie. He might not purposely undermine your plans out of duplicity but he'd almost certainly do it by accident.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought Patrick was annoying as hell but I could almost see dragging him to the first shuffle/mini-merge just because those are so unpredictable and he is a free vote and also a potential shield there.

Also, as for last week, I feel weirdly that Simone would've eventually gotten dangerous if they left her around. At least in the narration she seemed to be saying relatively smart things (when not complaining about somehow ending up on an island) and so far no one in this game really strikes me as a rocket scientist.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Jessica is a 29 year old virgin? :yikes:
Surprisingly tense tribal council in a week where one person undeniably blew the challenge.
We deserve a better Narrator than Ryan.

1) Well I mean come on. She's super Christian. She was giving me Mormon vibes but I just watched her CBS intro video and for a Deep South Christian White Girl, I ... I actually have a bit of a girl crush now. Go earn some more kisses, Cole. It actually suits her perfectly for a showmance that she doesn't give it up easily (and, in fact, never has). She's not getting stupid over this. Good.

2) Ali is a very decent narrator.

edit: And now we can spend the rest of the week shipping fan fiction power couples of yore. TaixMark The Chicken?

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 12, 2017

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Lauren and Patrick are both lacking in certain social skills, but Lauren's issues are much less likely to drive allies away in droves at the swap or merge. In Millenials vs. Gen X terms, Lauren is a Ken and Patrick is a Taylor; quiet people that don't fit in are never going to ruin an alliance's chance of staying together, but annoying kids who think they know everything and drive everyone crazy actually might.

There's a little bit of value in keeping people like Patrick around as big obvious targets, but not if he takes down your entire alliance with him.

On a completely different note, preview talk: Jessica's confessional about Cole being a dope for revealing Joe's idol so early feels eerily prescient now that there's a swap next episode. That information is going to spread super quick now. Also a swap at 15 probably means a shuffle to 3 new tribes of 5 which is an interesting wrinkle; it's the first time there's been a 3-to-3 swap as far as I can remember.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ali might be the winner all of us are waiting with bated breath for but not dare to pin all our hopes on.

I hope Ali stays in the game for a while and continues to be level-headed. I love watching her gameplay.

I was wondering why, during tribal, Ali seemed to act like she might not vote Patrick out? She said something about not wanting to judge Patrick on that one mistake as they could have done poorly even if someone else did the sack throwing; there's no need to dwell on the past; etc. I would like to see her explain, but my guess was that she was worried Patrick had the idol and so wanted him to stay confident about the votes. He sure did seem surprised ...

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's not getting stupid over this. Good.

I agree and have similar hopes for Jessica.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Fedelm posted:

I was wondering why, during tribal, Ali seemed to act like she might not vote Patrick out? She said something about not wanting to judge Patrick on that one mistake as they could have done poorly even if someone else did the sack throwing; there's no need to dwell on the past; etc. I would like to see her explain, but my guess was that she was worried Patrick had the idol and so wanted him to stay confident about the votes. He sure did seem surprised ...

Maybe that was her way of communicating that the vote wasn't meant as a personal attack, which ended up being the way Patrick took it anyway? Keep in mind she was also the one that gave him the "lethal comment" that Jeff pointed out. If Patrick had an idol, he probably would've told her, his closest ally, so I think she was doing it to stay under the radar with the rest of the group.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I feel better about the girls this season. There's been a good amount of attention on Joe/Cole/Devon/Ryan, and I think Ben's in the best position in the game right now, but I'm pleasantly surprised by Ali and Chrissy (and Jessica to a lesser extent), and even though Roark/Desi have been fairly invisible, their tribe hasn't gone to tribal yet and they were decently hyped pre-season.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DurosKlav posted:

Has there ever been a showmance between older players? I feel its always been 20 somethings.

Lisa Welchel and her brother.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lone Goat posted:

Lisa Welchel and her brother.

Hah, remember Greg and HIS sister? I think it was Greg in Borneo, anyway.

Ali was just being diplomatic, which is obviously a strong skill of hers. Celebrity assistant means she can navigate that dumb world and communicate well enough to keeps situations from getting out of hand. Celebrities think they're pretty hot poo poo, you know?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Wrong thread.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

When Devon's hair is pulled back he looks like Paul Walker

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

mancalamania posted:

On a completely different note, preview talk: Jessica's confessional about Cole being a dope for revealing Joe's idol so early feels eerily prescient now that there's a swap next episode. That information is going to spread super quick now. Also a swap at 15 probably means a shuffle to 3 new tribes of 5 which is an interesting wrinkle; it's the first time there's been a 3-to-3 swap as far as I can remember.

Could be the ol' 2 tribes of 7 with 1 going to special Cochranland or exile and coming in and replacing the next boot like they have done in the past. Maybe instead of Cochranland it will be Russellville and they have a comp with Russell and if he wins he enters the game instead of the odd man out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Victorkm posted:

Could be the ol' 2 tribes of 7 with 1 going to special Cochranland or exile and coming in and replacing the next boot like they have done in the past. Maybe instead of Cochranland it will be Russellville and they have a comp with Russell and if he wins he enters the game instead of the odd man out.

(not really a spoiler but whatever)
:lol::lol::lol: Sucks to be whoever is exiled to Russell Island and comes back complaining about how the game of Survivor is FLAWED and AMERICA should decide the winner.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

(not really a spoiler but whatever)
:lol::lol::lol: Sucks to be whoever is exiled to Russell Island and comes back complaining about how the game of Survivor is FLAWED and AMERICA should decide the winner.

I kind of want to see a Russell vs. Hali showdown. Will the Russell seed prevail against 'AMERICA IS GREAT'?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I disagree with everyone saying that Patrick was guaranteed to be loyal. If I was sitting there at tribal council, undecided on who I was going to vote for, Patrick's speech about how he can easily make friends with the other tribes would have solidified my vote against him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a 'do I trust this person to use his powers to help me'? decision. If Patrick is your solid ally, great! He can actually use those things to your benefit to bring numbers in. And he would have a good chance of actually being loyal to Ali. And just going off initial impressions the only people I could see him being swung away from on the other tribe would be JP and Cole (or maybe he could have gotten charmed by Devi?).

Problem is that nobody buys that he's actually that good at making friends.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

When I think about the Venn diagram of heroes, hustlers, and healers, Russell is smack dab in the middle.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pinterest Mom posted:

When I think about the Venn diagram of heroes, hustlers, and healers, Russell is smack dab in the middle.

Are you talking about Russel Hantz?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Patrick vote had nothing to do with trust.

It was a question of "is this guy so loving annoying that it will cause a net-negative to my game by being associated with him"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was "trust" but not the kind we usually associate with Survivor. It wasn't the "will he betray me?" kind but rather the "can I trust him not to gently caress everything up?" Patrick had ultimately proven himself not only too much of a wildcard player but one who they can't really control or talk down or tell anything. If he stayed they would have just been back in Council sooner or later dealing with the same stuff. And if they merge Patrick's antics could cause them a lot more problems than it did on the generally relaxed Hustler tribe. Lauren couldn't stand him but she seemed capable of being civil. You can't guarantee everyone else on the other tribes will have the same self control.

Of course that also theoretically makes Patrick a good goat/shield and I think they were kind of thinking that way with the Simone vote, but its really early in the game to be thinking about those things and you don't want him taking you down with him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't watched Survivor in a couple years but have been watching this season and decided to venture into the thread and the first thing I see is Russel Hantz chat are you kidding me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think he actually comes up that much unless people are directly comparing a player to him. Tony has kind of stolen away the title there and is kind of the "new Russell." Now I think he just comes up when someone complains about bitter juries.

I don't understand this invocation of him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's good, I was a fan of him but man was I tired of him constantly derailing stuff.

How does the thread feel about Elijah Wood? I like him and hope he goes far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

How does the thread feel about Elijah Wood? I like him and hope he goes far.
:same:

• Locked thread