Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Assume that I'm a college student, living in the united states, with mountains of student debt. Also assume that I'm white, middle class, and straight. What societal mechanisms are there for moving to a place where the entire populace doesn't hate my guts? Furthermore, what resources or legal avenues do I have to leverage any sort of skill that I may have? What parts of my body do I have to sell to get out of this hellhole?

Does anyone have much experience with the peace corps? Americorps? What is the most affordable municipality that won't actively tar and feather me?

Lurks Morington fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Quit college get a union apprenticeship in a demanded trade in a major city

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Hitchhike and say you're a traveling salesman

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
If you're a middle class white male then how would it really be a problem? You could just ignore the conservatives in your town and passively benefit off the racism/misogyny.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

ArbitraryC posted:

If you're a middle class white male then how would it really be a problem? You could just ignore the conservatives in your town and passively benefit off the racism/misogyny.

When I was riding a schoolbus to one of my football games, one of my teammates started talking about the primordial soup theory of how life came into being. Everyone laughed and said he was a dirty heathen. I take classes where because I brought up Marx's connection to Utopia, I felt like I got major pushback. It kinda blows because I like talking about this stuff, but everyone gets mad when I do

Brand me with the starlet letter I don't know

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Maybe don't give such a huge poo poo about other people's politics and instead try to find common ground to bond over and have a good time? You're gonna find huge idiots that don't agree with you no matter where you go.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Avoid roads and developed areas at all costs, walk through streams where possible, it'll help throw the hounds off your trail. you might think sticking to the woods will provide better cover but moving through the underbrush will slow you down and allow the ATVs to catch up

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Go live on one of the coasts in a big city. You will then join the 'liberal coastal elites'.

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

turn them all liberal while you yourself become a conservative

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Lurks Morington posted:

When I was riding a schoolbus to one of my football games, one of my teammates started talking about the primordial soup theory of how life came into being. Everyone laughed and said he was a dirty heathen. I take classes where because I brought up Marx's connection to Utopia, I felt like I got major pushback. It kinda blows because I like talking about this stuff, but everyone gets mad when I do

VVV

Honky Dong Country posted:

Maybe don't give such a huge poo poo about other people's politics and instead try to find common ground to bond over and have a good time? You're gonna find huge idiots that don't agree with you no matter where you go.

The faster you get over shitheads having terrible political beliefs the better. You're going to meet some troglodyte at a water cooler in the future and he is going to say some awful things about muslims and that'll happen anywhere in america, from Tulsa, OK to Dearborn, MI. Nobody will loving care, you will have no recourse, and if you start poo poo you're going to be the one who has to deal with the fallout.

Keep your mouth shut, keep your head down, and if you need friends look for bastions of liberal politics. Your football team is definitely not the place to look for that. If you're in the south or southwest, where high school and college football is taken insanely seriously, most of these people are from conservative backgrounds and are probably where they are right now specifically because they are good at football, not because they are academic achievers

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
But it's no fun not caring. Like, I had so much fun when I was younger and now it's so much less fun and I don't know why. You're totally right; it sounds like I'm writing a manefesto, but I just miss my friends. I honestly miss treating adults like all knowing authority figures instead of regular people doing jobs.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'd get a 6hr for even suggesting the solution, op.

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

restore antique clocks with mercury then commit suicide when your adopted son won't come over to pierce your nipples for a 3rd time in one night

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It's possible to care without freaking out because somebody said a "bad political thing." I'm moderate as hell and generally just don't talk politics with people for the most part. I find it's pretty easy to just go "Eh, I don't necessarily agree with you on that one" and if pressed for my opinion I follow up with "I'm not too big on talking politics, man." And then you talk about things that aren't politics.

Pretty simple.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'd get a 6hr for even suggesting the solution, op.

Ha! You witty comical bastard

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Lurks Morington posted:

But it's no fun not caring. Like, I had so much fun when I was younger and now it's so much less fun and I don't know why. You're totally right; it sounds like I'm writing a manefesto, but I just miss my friends. I honestly miss treating adults like all knowing authority figures instead of regular people doing jobs.

that sounds more like you are into ageplay than anything to do with politics. i'm sure if you go online you can find a daddy to provide cummies.

Lurker Ant
Nov 16, 2016
Part of being an adult is realizing that your views are not sacrosanct and learning to put up with other people. If that's too hard for you, then maybe find an artist coven in SanFran to shack up with.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lurks Morington posted:

u are lindsay lohan

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurker Ant posted:

Part of being an adult is realizing that your views are not sacrosanct and learning to put up with other people. If that's too hard for you, then maybe find an artist coven in SanFran to shack up with.

Or on the other side of the spectrum a doomsday prepper colony, but yeah I agree with this. I think it's unhealthy to give a real poo poo about somebody else's politics when you're both just average voters who both prolly have at least one lovely opinion about something. Who gives a gently caress.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
travel a long way through water so they lose your trail

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There is no "Sanctuary."

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
I think you guys are projecting a little bit. My question was about societal mechanisms relating to political preferences.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurks Morington posted:

I think you guys are projecting a little bit. My question was about societal mechanisms relating to political preferences.

Then why did you even post this thread? The answer is to move. The way you sound in the OP especially with the "ugh I better just join the peace corps to escape conservative tar and feathering!" tends to indicate that you're mad that most the locals around you are conservative.

E: Like I get that moving costs money and isn't always easy, but that's the answer. And there are no mechanisms to help you move, dude. There's no such thing as a "get outta hicksville" grant or some poo poo.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 12, 2017

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lurks Morington posted:

Assume that I'm a college student, living in the united states, with mountains of student debt. Also assume that I'm white, middle class, and straight. What societal mechanisms are there for moving to a place where the entire populace doesn't hate my guts? Furthermore, what resources or legal avenues do I have to leverage any sort of skill that I may have? What parts of my body do I have to sell to get out of this hellhole?

Does anyone have much experience with the peace corps? Americorps? What is the most affordable municipality that won't actively tar and feather me?

Use your liberal guns to eliminate the conservatives.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012
The poo poo advice that I will take is to try to get a job which pays you money so you can pay off the debt. Hopefully you don't hate the job too much... Or so the story goes.

I think a better solution is to start a revolution or grassroots political movement to cancel all student debt, make education free, make housing, healthcare, nutrition, UBI all human rights enshrined in law and funded with taxes on the very wealthy and nationalization of resources/industry. Then basically just go around and do whatever the gently caress you want, find a job that interests you, work hard at it and contribute to society as an equal, or w/e be a hobo and ride the trains from coast to coast idk idgaf.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Pull up your bootstraps and start walking

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lurks Morington posted:

so you had an opinion and people disagreed so now you want to move

ok have at it my man

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Then why did you even post this thread? The answer is to move. The way you sound in the OP especially with the (ugh I better just join the peace corps to escape conservative tar and feathering!) tends to indicate that you're mad that most the locals around you are conservative.

E: Like I get that moving costs money and isn't always easy, but that's the answer. And there are no mechanisms to help you move, dude. There's no such thing as a "get outta hicksville" grant or some poo poo.

^ ^ ^ ^

seriously OP there is nothing else we can tell you

i've lived and worked in conservative areas and liberal areas, it's the same poo poo everywhere. You will always have to be around assholes with different politics than you no matter where you are, and whether it's 45% or 65% of people it doesn't really make a difference, you're looking at a minimum of 4 out of 10 people being conservative just about anywhere you go. Maybe California would be better if you lived in the city but good luck paying for that with student loan debt. Places like Portland and Seattle seem appealing until you realize that the entire countryside surrounding both of those areas is filled with some of the craziest conservative motherfuckers on planet earth. Shitkickers don't move to other states, they just move out of the city.

Maybe you can be one of those people who moves to portland and tells themselves it's normal to pay $800 a month to live with 7 other people in a 1000sqft apartment, but if that's not appealing to you, get over it dude :shrug:

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 12, 2017

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe

Aryu Kiddimeh posted:

The poo poo advice that I will take is to try to get a job which pays you money so you can pay off the debt. Hopefully you don't hate the job too much... Or so the story goes.

I think a better solution is to start a revolution or grassroots political movement to cancel all student debt, make education free, make housing, healthcare, nutrition, UBI all human rights enshrined in law and funded with taxes on the very wealthy and nationalization of resources/industry. Then basically just go around and do whatever the gently caress you want, find a job that interests you, work hard at it and contribute to society as an equal, or w/e be a hobo and ride the trains from coast to coast idk idgaf.

Okay cold war kids explain to me: star trek good; communists bad?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gentlemen, please!!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Lurks Morington posted:

Both of the things you just posted are poo poo.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lurks Morington posted:

what

did you ever stop and think maybe you're an idiot and that's why you feel ostracized

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Americorp will get you somewhere else. I have a friend who did a year with Americorp VISTA and I am currently considering a term as well.

My friend was able to get out of town, then was hired directly by the nonprofit he was assigned to through Americorp (I don't know how common this is). Now he is going through law school with the support of that nonprofit. Americorp 100% gave him a way out of town and some goals to work for.

You won't make a ton of money, and VISTA wants you to live in areas affected by the poverty you are supposed to help alleviate. For me, those drawbacks are worth it. Americorp will give 5,000 for education, pay the interest on your loans, and counts as one year of service if you're interested in federal government work afterwards.

I was interested in VISTA specifically because you are supposed to be capacity building, meaning more time fundraising, managing, and organizing over simply serving soup or w/e. Not that there's anything wrong with that work, but I want to dig more into advocacy, lobbying and policy and can't really afford to spend a year not doing any professional development.

Aryu Kiddimeh
Nov 9, 2012

Both of the things you just posted are poo poo.

Nope they're both good

Buccaneer
Jun 24, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Try radio frequency 144.75

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
Maybe the answer OP, is to just do a job sometime. You'll learn quickly, you get experience, and you won't get so worked up about what is basically a self induced fit of paranoia :D

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Light the signal

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
OP- if you are really as much of a pariah in your community as you seem to think, I have a suspicion that there may be factors at play other than your political/social beliefs. I work at an oil company in West Virginia and upon mentioning that I voted for Hillary, my coworkers- Trump voting methheads, all- were pretty much "yeah that's cool, it doesn't really matter anyway". IRL people are not confrontational about this kind of thing, unless you're being confrontational first and setting a tone that makes them want to stuff you in a locker.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 12, 2017

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Just emulate Paul Newman in the movie "Cool Hand Luke" it seemed to go well for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Lurks Morington posted:

Yes you are quite the intellectual.

• Locked thread