Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
I'll see how quickly I can make it to the Moonlight Greatsword then, I did not have much difficulty with Ludwig when the DLC first came out, at least until the second phase. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I'm still on a first playthrough and only got the game comparatively recently (doing a Kirkhammer run my first time through, I love this thing). I just beat Rom and I totally have no idea where to go next: Cainhurst seems the obvious answer but I'm reasonably sure its self-contained). I've got an entrance to the undead frontier via an Amygdala that ganked me outside the cathedral ward where I ended up after I beat Rom, and according to a friend of mine Ya'harghul opens up after you beat up Rom. So what do I (who kind of put this game down a few months ago and is now getting his wig pushed back) do going forward here?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finally beat the Shadows! That was the first boss in my replay that really gave me a challenge, I always struggle with gank squad bosses. I probably could have parried better with the gun, but I enjoyed the challenge of getting 'em with the augur, and it did really respectable damage in its own right. Now it's off to Byrgenwerth or Cainhurst. If I've gotten all the people in the chapel and cleared out Yahar'Gul, is there anything else I need to do before beating Rom?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

ManlyGrunting posted:

I'm still on a first playthrough and only got the game comparatively recently (doing a Kirkhammer run my first time through, I love this thing). I just beat Rom and I totally have no idea where to go next: Cainhurst seems the obvious answer but I'm reasonably sure its self-contained). I've got an entrance to the undead frontier via an Amygdala that ganked me outside the cathedral ward where I ended up after I beat Rom, and according to a friend of mine Ya'harghul opens up after you beat up Rom. So what do I (who kind of put this game down a few months ago and is now getting his wig pushed back) do going forward here?

Straight ahead of the place you get dumped once you beat Rom is a now-open set of doors. Go that way (and don't stop in front of them or the amygdala will grab you).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I would recommend doing the Nightmare Frontier right now, its rewards are meager even if you can swing doing it asap, but if you do it very late you will be super disappointed by what's found in there. You can always postpone the boss if it frustrates you.

The same, but with better rewards, is true for Cainhurst: I recommend checking it out as soon as you get access (the enemies in the starting area are actually the hardest, just run by them), then the boss can really block you, but...just come back later, it's fine.

Yahar'gul is progression, if you're stumbling in the other areas, do that. You'll get enough upgrade materials there to upgrade a weapon to +9, then the Frontier and Cainhurst bosses should be doable if you had trouble before.

If you get frustrated on all fronts, you can even check out the Chalices instead! (and get stuck on Pthumeru 3)

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
This game is so loving good lol.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Requesting help for the Unseen Village Hunter Trio, am ringing at the chapel lantern

Password is kosm

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Would love to, unfortunately it's the night of the hunt shift for me at work :(

may the goon blood guide your way

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

NPC with tiny Tonitrus in a small hallway is bad news :science:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

drrockso20 posted:

Requesting help for the Unseen Village Hunter Trio, am ringing at the chapel lantern

Password is kosm

Still needing help?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

drrockso20 posted:

Password is kosm

Grant us eyes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Already got help, thanks for inquiring

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

drrockso20 posted:

Already got help, thanks for inquiring

No problem! Glad you got an assist!

On the subject of co-op, anyone willing to help with Mergo's Wet Nurse?

PSN: Time_pants

Edit: Never mind. Got the help. Kinda regret it. Wish I had just put in a bit more time on trying to beat it because we staggered it out of its most dangerous attacks.

Double edit: If the Hunter's Dream is on fire, does that mean that I'm at the end of the game and need to wrap all my other poo poo up?

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 12, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Time_pants posted:

No problem! Glad you got an assist!

On the subject of co-op, anyone willing to help with Mergo's Wet Nurse?

PSN: Time_pants

Edit: Never mind. Got the help. Kinda regret it. Wish I had just put in a bit more time on trying to beat it because we staggered it out of its most dangerous attacks.

Double edit: If the Hunter's Dream is on fire, does that mean that I'm at the end of the game and need to wrap all my other poo poo up?

Pretty much, although you can still do everything normal there, the fire doesn't get in the way of anything it's purely visual

You did miss out on some dialogue if you didn't beat the DLC before killing Mergo though

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Dream Attack posted:

This game is so loving good lol.

It's stupid how much I could play this game, even after finishing the game twice and getting the platinum. I started a new run thinking "I wanna use the wheel" and then that turned into "I wanna use the MGS". Even now I keep looking at weapons and thinking "Im gonna play again".

I wanna use the boom hammer.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

It's stupid how much I could play this game, even after finishing the game twice and getting the platinum. I started a new run thinking "I wanna use the wheel" and then that turned into "I wanna use the MGS". Even now I keep looking at weapons and thinking "Im gonna play again".

I wanna use the boom hammer.

One of the nice things about doing a STR/ARC build is that there's only a couple trick weapons inaccessible to you, although you do get locked out of a good chunk of the firearms, and one tool(Madara Whistle since it runs off BLT for whatever reason)

Also I've managed to make it to the top of Mergo's Loft for the first time(well not all the way, but up to the point with Queen Yharnam hanging around and crying)

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
For some reason I kept thinking people were talking up skill/arcane builds but it seems like strength/ arcane builds are more popular. Good thing that on this new character I've been putting everything into arcane/vitality/endurance/skill and my skill is only like 15 so far, but I don't do poo poo for damage with the saw cleaver (only just got to the cathedral ward lamp).

Should I abandon skill and level up strength and arcane? I definitely want an arcane character and I know a few weapons I used a lot scaled well with skill, but also with strength it seemed, but early game is tough when you only have the weapons at your avail when you haven't beaten blood starved beast or vicar Amelia.

So yeh, is SKL/ARC worth going for or should I just go STR//ARC instead? And what's a good method of leveling up so I don't die from leveling up arcane so early in NG?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Skl/Arcane will really start coming into its own around Cainhurst Castle, where as Str/Arc is good basically immediately. If you can clown the first few bosses with serrated fire paper you'll be in better shape for strong visceral and good gun damage

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

monny posted:

Straight ahead of the place you get dumped once you beat Rom is a now-open set of doors. Go that way (and don't stop in front of them or the amygdala will grab you).

OHH!! What happened was that I saw them after I beat Rom, looked around trying to figure where I was, and got ganked by Amygdala.

Thanks for the advice all, I'll probably bum around Cainhurst: I did enough to open a shortcut and I've been finding chunks there (enough to get ol' Smashy to level 7 anyway), and outside of one room with like a million stabby dudes its been pretty manageable. Thanks, all!

Also I will one of these days remember that the kirkhammer has a sword form. Not sure why I decided to go the big two-handed route in this game, I generally prefer stuff that's more like the saw cleaver in the souls games. Probably because the transformed r1 tends to stunlock the hell out of medium-sized enemies and its pretty simple to get a full charged R2 if you know what you're doing (which for me, is occasionally). God drat I'm starting to remember how good this game is. Now I just have to get chalice stuff for the ones after the very first one.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Ugh, loving Defiled Watchdog... I always get more than halfway through its health with relative ease, but one of 2 things always happen: either I break one of its legs, I attack a few times, the chikage attack animation brings me right under it and I get stuck or miss the cue for the charge attack and get killed in one shot, or I get stunlocked by the bite animation and die.

I know exactly what I'm doing wrong; I'm too agressive, partly because rallying the health I lose to smaller attacks is tempting but mostly because the fight takes so long that I really want to deal as much damage as I can when I see an opening and I end up pushing my luck too far. The worst thing is that I'd already be done with it if I just bit the bullet and spent 10 minutes swinging at it once in a while for 500 damage a pop.

I also just got another Blood Rock and used it to bring the bloodletter to +10, and I'm really, really disappointed in it. It's cool that it only hurts you once instead of constantly draining your health, and it looks really awesome, but it's so hard to come back to that kind of moveset after the speed of the Chikage. It's also kind of annoying that I can't really use it untransformed because my strength is so low, but I knew that going in.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

I'm going to be starting another NG rather than cycling to NG+ on my first save and I want to go 50 Bloodtinge and 25 Skill. What route should I take to get this build to pop as soon as possible?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Time_pants posted:

I'm going to be starting another NG rather than cycling to NG+ on my first save and I want to go 50 Bloodtinge and 25 Skill. What route should I take to get this build to pop as soon as possible?

Cainhurst is the BT man's best friend. I'd just do the first few bosses, get yourself a little bit pumped up and then head into Cainhurst to get your Chikage, Reiterpallasch and Evelyn. I have a similar build and went skill first just to make the game a little easier and once I got Chikage I started dumping BT and never looked back.

e: a saw spear is probably going to be your good friend if you just want to clown your way through the start of that game as fast as possible.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Cainhurst is also the arcane dude's best friend, because I just tried the executioner's gloves on Amygdala and holy poo poo I just shredded that fight first try. Is the Rosmarinus worth it over the flamesprayer? I like having the sprayer since it gives me a source of fire damage not reliant on consumable items, but I've heard the damage falls off pretty hard at a certain point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Literally go straight skill until you get to cainhurst because the weapons you get from Cainhurst are game warping for that build. Just use spears and the cane whip until then, and mix up end/vit until you feel comfy

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
Threaded Cane/Saw Spear -> Blade of Mercy -> Reiterpallasch -> Rakuyo -> Church Pick was my progression for a Skill build, and it worked out really nicely. Obviously delay the BoM if you plan on doing the questline, although I think it falls off in effectiveness the farther on you get.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Echoing the sentiment that this is like the best game ever, my PS4 is essentially a Team Ico/Bloodborne machine right now, with the occasional shorter game here and there like Rime and Abzu. But gently caress, I went to go play Dark Souls 3 since I've platinumed Bloodborne and I just give up after like an hour at most of making tiny progress, wishing it was just Bloodborne 2...

Luckily I'm content playing through this game repeatedly, and unrelated but I'm sort of glad they didn't add in a feature to re-fight bosses, and that you have to go through the game again if you want to do so, I mean I'm not the type to just fight bosses repeatedly, but speedrunners like Lobos Jr. or whoever still have to play through the game (sort of) if they want to fight a certain boss. I remember coming across the Shadows of Yharnam on my NG+ playthrough, totally unaware that I was in the boss arena and panicked cause I wasn't prepared and had like 11 blood vials on me, but still beat them in one try that time and it felt good since I had a bit of trouble with them my first playthrough (not that much, but they're certainly not easy on your first playthrough, especially after the labyrinth that is the forbidden woods.

poo poo, this skill/arcane build is hard, I got to Old Yharnam easily but I keep dying, I'm used to my LHB, not the saw cleaver. Man I can't wait to finally gently caress poo poo up with the Moonlight Great Sword and have every arcane tool at my disposal. But also, like another poster said, I keep thinking about different builds I want to do, like on my NG+ character I can finish off the DLC bosses I haven't done with a beasthood set, and maybe also on NG+2 get used to my +10 blades of mercy which I haven't really used at all. I thought the insane amount of r1 combo hits you can get in in one stamina bar would make it super OP, but I was too used to the playstyle of having a big rear end sword that takes out several enemies at once (which is also why the saw cleaver is hard for me rn, just gonna try to cheese the BSB and grab LHB until I can get the MGS).

God drat, I keep thinking I wish there was a Bloodborne 2 announcement, but I'm content with Bloodborne still, I've only completed the game twice, but I have three other characters varying from Cathedral Ward area to Rom, and it's still fun, even after putting probably 250-300 hours into it and I usually only play short games like the other games I mentioned above and was never into online games.. This game is just pure genius.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I didn't notice it before, but the flamesprayer uses no stamina, allowing you to extend combos when you have a big opening on a boss, while also allowing your stamina to regenerate. Me and a dude who summoned me stunlocked Paarl for pretty much his entire healthbar when I used this trick. This'll definitely be going into the hunter's playbook.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Does the Rosmarinus (sp?) do the same?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'd imagine, though it wont stagger enemies usually, only bosses that stagger after a certain amount of damage.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

JBP posted:

Cainhurst is the BT man's best friend. I'd just do the first few bosses, get yourself a little bit pumped up and then head into Cainhurst to get your Chikage, Reiterpallasch and Evelyn. I have a similar build and went skill first just to make the game a little easier and once I got Chikage I started dumping BT and never looked back.

e: a saw spear is probably going to be your good friend if you just want to clown your way through the start of that game as fast as possible.

Sounds good! What is the shortest route to Cainhurst, though?

Vicar Amelia -> Forbidden Woods -> Iosefka's Clinic -> Cainhurst? Am I skipping any steps here?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Time_pants posted:

Sounds good! What is the shortest route to Cainhurst, though?

Vicar Amelia -> Forbidden Woods -> Iosefka's Clinic -> Cainhurst? Am I skipping any steps here?

Nope, assuming you know the entrance is near the end of Hemwick Charnel Lane.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you don't feel like grinding up the souls to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem (which doesn't take too long but is still souls that could be used in much better ways) you can also throw Old Yharnam in there. It's not too long of an area though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Darth Walrus posted:

Nope, assuming you know the entrance is near the end of Hemwick Charnel Lane.
Afaik you do have to beat the Witches of Hemwick in order for the stagecoach to appear, though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man those pigs in Mergo's Loft suck, it's kinda funny that I'm having so much more trouble dealing with them than with the Shadows in that area

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Man those pigs in Mergo's Loft suck, it's kinda funny that I'm having so much more trouble dealing with them than with the Shadows in that area

Respect the pig.

Good source of echoes though.

Edit: Haha that newbie avatar.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

CJacobs posted:

If you don't feel like grinding up the souls to buy the Hunter Chief Emblem (which doesn't take too long but is still souls that could be used in much better ways) you can also throw Old Yharnam in there. It's not too long of an area though.

I ducked into Old Yarnham just long enough to get those souls and it took just about the same amount of time as I needed to open the shorcut back to the entrance to have all the souls, so yeah, it doesn't take long at all, really.

Now I have the Boom Hammer because I wanted to play more of the game with it, but I also got the Beast Cutter and Saif, which honestly I've never really used, and I never really see many people express strong feelings about them. Anyone got an opinion on those two, if I may ask?

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

marshmallow creep posted:

Anyone got an opinion on those two, if I may ask?

The saif owns, especially in transformed mode - the lunge forward on the R1 is excellent, and charged R2s flatten a lot of stuff. Untransformed is a little slow, but the big sweeping strokes are good for groups :)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

I ducked into Old Yarnham just long enough to get those souls and it took just about the same amount of time as I needed to open the shorcut back to the entrance to have all the souls, so yeah, it doesn't take long at all, really.

Now I have the Boom Hammer because I wanted to play more of the game with it, but I also got the Beast Cutter and Saif, which honestly I've never really used, and I never really see many people express strong feelings about them. Anyone got an opinion on those two, if I may ask?

I love all three of those, for different reasons. Saif is probably one of my favorite weapons in the game for skill weapons, but I wouldn't say it's worth using for strength. Beast Cutter is fun and has some very satisfying swings - I used it alongside my Boom Hammer run, and it complimented it well. I'm the only person in the thread that enjoys Boom Hammer, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I really want to love the Boom Hammer because gently caress, it's called the loving BOOM HAMMER, so I'm hoping I can make it work. Perhaps I'll try it with the Beast Cutter and give the Saif a try when I go back to my NG+ Church Pick skill character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I used the boomhammer the first time I played the game, then later also used the whirligig saw, and I was just a STR dude with no points in ARC. I still thought it was pretty good and used it for the dlc bosses and the last handful of main game bosses. I would usually dodge and try get a quick hit plus l1 jab, then see if I can dodge again and get in a heavy or jump attack. Much more hit and run than the usual 'dodge past guy and swing lots'.