Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Just binged through seasons 1 and 2, and I am blown away, and the season 3 trailer has me super excited to see what's next.

Tyrell has been real the whole time, which is Mr. Robot's real trick on Elliott. The question becomes what happened to the bullet from the popcorn gun? It absolutely didn't kill Romero because FBI would catch that immediately.

We need to find out what happened during the rest of the Angela-White Rose conversation, because it gave WR some complete understanding of the situation and it managed to flip Angela?

Also, all the time travel theories seem to be based off the BttF songs being in the soundtrack. I never saw those movies so I don't like those theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Also, all the time travel theories seem to be based off the BttF songs being in the soundtrack. I never saw those movies so I don't like those theories.

lol why even live then.

It also means you probably are missing out on rick and morty

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I just rewatched the last 4 episodes of season 2. I enjoyed the plot a lot more this time! So pumped for this premiere.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Bumping for the airing. Looking forward to it!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I thought tonight was the 11th and I am so crestfallen now.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Ah poo poo, it's the 11th in my timezone and I forgot to add a day. Sorry!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's been so long since this show was on that I've forgotten how much I actually personally liked s2 and have just sorta been going along with the general view of it being less good. Which is strange because I really did like it.

Anyway I hope this season has more plot momentum and also am excited!!!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

From what I remember, season 2 was a total mindfuck and a lot of it didn't actually happen, or at least not the way it was presented. I'm gonna need to watch a refresher video before I watch the S3 premiere.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just dropping in to day I have no intention of making a new thread, so if anybody else wants to, they're welcome to it. :ocelot:

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
My only real issue with season 2 was that the 'reveal' struck me as a bad choice, because to me it seems like the storyline would have had a lot more tension and been more fun in general without it? In a way a lot of scenes have less tension/make less sense the way they are shown (unless you know the twist) which is really the opposite of how a good twist should work in my opinion.

Another thing I thought was weird was that it's also technically two twists, first the Prison reveal, and then the second twist, that he's in prison for dognapping and not being a cyberterrorist. . To me keeping the second twist but leaving out the 'Imagining my moms house and hanging out at the most dangerous basketball court in the world' would have only made it better.

Season 2 was good though, I just think it made a bit of a miss-step there.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Will the premier be available for legit streaming at the same time as broadcast, or are we going to have to wait a day?

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Just dropped by with essentially the same question, amazon prime says it will be available one day later, is there any place I can watch it today?

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I remember enjoying the last season, but I'm struggling to remember the finale. I remember the post-credits scene, but not where Elliot is at.

EDIT: This video is tolerable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZNLv-jIItA

SpaceAceJase fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 12, 2017

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So they either just heavily hinted time travel or they're really just trying to gently caress with everyone. I really want to think it's the latter since it was pretty blatant.

EDIT: Okay, maybe it's not even time travel they're hinting at, with what Angela was saying at the end. :psyduck:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 12, 2017

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

That Daft Punk song was oddly fitting at the end.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Yeah, that was a brilliant use of Touch.

Dangerous Person posted:

I really hope that they don't incorporate time travel into this show because that would be stupid

EDIT: To elaborate a bit it just feels like too much of a swerve in a show that has stayed pretty grounded outside of Elliot's mindfucks and the weirdness of whatever White Rose is doing. People here were convinced that the plan Tyrell was going to show Elliot was a time machine and I was relieved when it turned out that he just wanted to blow up a building

I may or may not be eating a hat over this one

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hate to sound like a triggered snowflake, but I don't want to reminded of Donnie, but w/e.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Wasn't that the LHC that they were showing at the beginning? Portals to alternate dimension/realities incoming. Or everything is just a simulation.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

also lol when they cut to the bus and the daft punk song was coming out of that guys boombox. Most unrealistic part of the episode.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Just started the premiere. I'm getting bored of the 'mystery' and it's becoming tedious. This is good stuff, don't get me wrong, but they need to mix it up. The LHC-looking dealie was a good move. I hope they provide more clarity soon.

Edit:

Edit 2: Maybe it's a time bomb that blows up before you set it?

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 12, 2017

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Good foundation setting episode IMO. I wanted more, but the tension between Angela and her connections to the dark army vs. Darleen and her connections to whoever she called (FBI?) is going to make for an interesting dynamic. Since it looks like we will now see the moments that elliot loses I hope we get a better picture of what's going on soon.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

I hate to sound like a triggered snowflake, but I don't want to reminded of Donnie, but w/e.

You’re not thinking big picture. The tears of all the libertarians and t_d posters who watch the show for its anti-establishment leanings and get triggered by Esmail openly calling him a piece of poo poo are gonna be pretty sweet.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If it's not alternate realities, then they're loving with the theorists hardcore.

I feel like with what we've seen, this could be happening to more people than just Elliot. They said it all started with him, so maybe he's not mentally ill, he's just in some sort of quantum flux state and Mr. Robot is revealing to a select few people how it works. That would also explain Minister Zheng - maybe Whiterose is Zheng's version of Mr. Robot, and he's perfectly aware of her taking him over, hence his dress closet. I feel like he wouldn't have time to be both of them, unless he/she doesn't sleep.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Should I just assume that the new season is going to be on-demand starting perhaps tomorrow? For whatever reason my DVR didn’t record it and it’s not available on-demand on the USA app or the website at all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched the premiere and I honestly can't even tell whether or not I'm enjoying this show anymore, but one thing's for sure: it still has excellent taste in music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkhol2Q1og

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
that reminds me
where the bloody hell is season2's soundtrack final volume (the score, not the source music)
volume 3 came out in June!

*edit*
oh wait it comes out this friday the 13th?
someone's got a weird sense of humor

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My house’s Echo picked something up during the scene with Elliot/Darlene and Bobby Cannavale at the Red Wheelbarrow place haha. Weird coincidence....or something more sinister???

Also I liked the episode a bunch, definitely seems to be heading towards a more propulsive story again

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

d0grent posted:

also lol when they cut to the bus and the daft punk song was coming out of that guys boombox. Most unrealistic part of the episode.

what is unrealistic about some rear end in a top hat playing music loudly on public transit

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Did anyone scan the qr codes on the flyers that were on the message board?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

what is unrealistic about some rear end in a top hat playing music loudly on public transit

The idea that that specific operatic af Daft Punk song would be played by someone on a boom box, I imagine

Estratetraenol
Jul 23, 2007
lol

joebuddah posted:

Did anyone scan the qr codes on the flyers that were on the message board?

I saw two and both were same: https://jobs.runpula.net/

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The new guy this season seems out of place. Weird character choice.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

Harminoff posted:

I almost get a vibe that Cannavale's character is from another place or time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
There was some really lame stuff in this premiere. That narrated walk along the sidewalk felt just so clumsy, it definitely feels like the writing is going downhill.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

There was some really lame stuff in this premiere. That narrated walk along the sidewalk felt just so clumsy, it definitely feels like the writing is going downhill.

How was it clumsy? What was bad about the writing?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

sticklefifer posted:

If it's not alternate realities, then they're loving with the theorists hardcore.

I feel like with what we've seen, this could be happening to more people than just Elliot. They said it all started with him, so maybe he's not mentally ill, he's just in some sort of quantum flux state and Mr. Robot is revealing to a select few people how it works. That would also explain Minister Zheng - maybe Whiterose is Zheng's version of Mr. Robot, and he's perfectly aware of her taking him over, hence his dress closet. I feel like he wouldn't have time to be both of them, unless he/she doesn't sleep.

Quantum state existence and alternate realities is more likely than him just being a rich and powerful crossdresser that doesn't sleep much? :psyduck:

I really don't understand why creative exposition is getting interpreted as time travel and alternate realities in a show that does a pretty good job to try to represent it's main theme (hacking) in a factual way.

I refuse to believe they will delve into some theoretical quantum physics-esque sci-fi/matrix time travel nonsense, and derail the show into 12 Monkeys territory. The writing has been so good thus far, and to completely bounce the plot off into some What the Bleep Do We Know level fuckery would be a massive letdown.

That would be akin to Westworld ending with everything being the dream of a cyborg who isn't self aware, just programmed to dream.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't think it was clumsy. At least not unintentionally.

He starts monologuing in his head as he walks past the effects of 5/9. Then he starts talking out loud and I was like, this is weird. Then it cuts to other things and I was like, this is an odd angle to take. Then it cuts to him standing in Red Wheelbarrow and he's just been lost in thought the whole time and it sort of makes sense. He just kinda walked himself through the realization that the state of things is all his fault.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I was almost disappointed when the power came back on in the end, one of my favourite aspects of this show is the world-building involved in a crumbling capitalist information society with poo poo like 911 being too busy and every single piece of property desperately being for sale. Maybe New York fully turning into a John Carpenter movie would've been too distracting.

Le Saboteur posted:

The speech was alright, but I will say I was rolling my eyes at the mute button line... until they did the mute button gag. :allears:

sticklefifer posted:

Oh poo poo, I really like this. The thing with the parallel reality business is that we're already in season 3 and dropping a huge element like that in the story and the universe feels really weird unless Esmail can justify it, and connecting it with Elliot's condition could be the ticket because then it ties into something that's been in the story since day one.

Seriously Esmail needs to do his legwork on it if this is really going to be a story where the solution is hitting a big science fictiony reset button and, I don't know, the big twist is that they create our timeline instead, because that's seriously trite. I keep thinking back to how this started as a movie script and I could imagine that being the end of the movie.

He might also do something bigger-picture on Elliot's fourth wall breaking.

I'm fully on board with Angela's talk to Elliot being Esmail trolling the theorists, but why did she say that? Since she thinks destroying E-Corp will bring about a new world, was she just trying to turn Elliot around into doing Stage 2 again?

Harminoff posted:

I quite liked him. He seemed like the same sort of fixer archetype as Winston Wolfe. I also enjoyed and appreciated how quickly he was sketched out, being someone completely new to us; they did the same with Dom last season.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 12, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't mind the monologues being lame and clumsy at times because it shows that the series itself doesn't view Elliot as this always-right hero but the sorta dorm room ranting lunatic that he actually is. I've never thought you're meant to be like "gently caress yeah, right on bro!" about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Quantum state existence and alternate realities is more likely than him just being a rich and powerful crossdresser that doesn't sleep much? :psyduck:

I really don't understand why creative exposition is getting interpreted as time travel and alternate realities in a show that does a pretty good job to try to represent it's main theme (hacking) in a factual way.

I refuse to believe they will delve into some theoretical quantum physics-esque sci-fi/matrix time travel nonsense, and derail the show into 12 Monkeys territory. The writing has been so good thus far, and to completely bounce the plot off into some What the Bleep Do We Know level fuckery would be a massive letdown.

That would be akin to Westworld ending with everything being the dream of a cyborg who isn't self aware, just programmed to dream.

Yeah, I was waffling back and forth at the end of S2, but this episode I think pointed to the possibility that there's not going to be some kind of time travel or parallel dimension conclusion to the series.

it's still unclear what Whiterose's end goal is, but I think her plan for ECorp - "it'll be as if they never existed" - is a metaphor for basically, destroying them completely root and stem. Angela's certainly receptive to that, especially in light of her speech at the end of this episode. Ditto for Mr. Robot. Elliot has his own reasons (f-society) but I'm sure wants ECorp gone too.

The show has always been rooted in reality. our perspective is warped because of the forced perspective of Elliot. The extradiegetic music and narrative devices/tricks stemming from that has always been an unique strength of the show.

and i've also always loved the cinematography and framing of the show too. premier was great!

the narrative walk i liked too. Elliot monologues all the time. I particularly liked the juxtaposition between Elliot's speech and Trump's campaigning - clear similarities in the use of the language, rhetoric, and really, the same results (mobs, riots, protests). Was Elliot right? Was bring ECorp down really the means to a revolution, or did he just create fertile ground for more repression?

• Locked thread