Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

bloom posted:

I don't get this whole thing of using crushed chips or cheetos or whatever as a spice or god forbid an ingredient. Why not just use actual spices?
Food confession time: Literally for decades, the secret ingredient in my deviled eggs that all of my family and friends love had been a snack sized bag of regular Doritos crumbled up and combined with the yolk mixture.

Why yes, I am very very white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Saw mystery Oreos at Wegman's today? Oreos are getting strange.
People are saying they taste like a fruity cereal. I think they've already made one that was a knockoff of Fruity Pebbles, so the idea's not so far-fetched. Sounds gross, though, and I'll try any limited-edition flavor of just about anything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

NorgLyle posted:

Food confession time: Literally for decades, the secret ingredient in my deviled eggs that all of my family and friends love had been a snack sized bag of regular Doritos crumbled up and combined with the yolk mixture.

Why yes, I am very very white.

Food confessions: I use mayonnaise in my horseradish mashed potatoes and people love it. I also use ketchup in my chili, masalas, beans, and soups. I never use either mayo or ketchup as a condiment.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I put mayo in buttermilk, key lime, and meringue pies

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Food confessions: I use mayonnaise in my horseradish mashed potatoes and people love it. I also use ketchup in my chili, masalas, beans, and soups. I never use either mayo or ketchup as a condiment.

And I use mayo (actually mayo) on the outsides of my grilled cheese sandwiches/poor man's croque monsieur . Makes such a lovely crunchy crust...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

STATE FAIR SEASON IS UPON US!!

Tag yourself

the minneapple pie stand has been around for nearly a decade at this point. maybe it's new to the nc fair but c'mon

(it's delicious btw, all nc goons plz go and get some)

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Oct 11, 2017

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I put a little mayonnaise in my guacamole...

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I throw mayo on the floor and eat it like a animal

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Guillotine.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

weird, use creme fraiche

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Samizdata posted:

And I use mayo (actually mayo) on the outsides of my grilled cheese sandwiches/poor man's croque monsieur . Makes such a lovely crunchy crust...

As you should because it works better than using butter :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

von Braun posted:

weird, use creme fraiche

Look at this bougie motherfucker

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I add avacado to everything I consume. Water, 5-hour energies, cereal, protein bars, steak, fried chicken, smoothies, small pastries, candy, etc.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
My parents got mad at me for adding port and chinese fivespice to my frying pancetta that i use for carbonara once.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Been hearing this for years, but I never remember to try it.

Samizdata posted:

Do you still lube the pan with butter/oil, or is the mayo enough?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Make creme fraiche on your counter overnight, it's dirt simple

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

bongwizzard posted:

Nah. Dry nonstick pan, a moderate amount of mayo on the bread. Works perfectly. The other tip I've learned about grilled cheese is to use a lower temp than you initially might think to. Put the burner at about halfway to max and let it take its time. Also, use a couple different cheeses. I like mild cheddar (melts better than sharp) with fontina.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

The Bloop posted:

https://youtu.be/okVm8jCxqiU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Jmcrofts posted:

Cottage cheese is both curds and whey. These are just plain curds.

And cheese curds are best when they're squeaks-with-each-bite fresh, and god-tier when fried(just ignore that your arteries are getting more clogged with each bite).

Source: Grew up in Wisconsin.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Even better on top of fries and covered in piping hot beef gravy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

bunnyofdoom posted:

Even better on top of fries and covered in piping hot beef gravy

Aaaugh fu

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Can confirm, mayo instead of butter for a grilled cheese is ridiculously good. Just make sure you don't slather it on. A thin layer is all you need.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

Can confirm, mayo instead of butter for a grilled cheese is ridiculously good. Just make sure you don't slather it on. A thin layer is all you need.

Of course. And you let it stay in the pan a little longer for that lovely, French Toast but not really style of crunchy crust.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
My boyfriend makes grilled cheese with mayo and while the concept really grossed me out for some reason at first, I'll admit that he's right, mayo works better than butter.

Speaking of grilled cheese, we tried to make grilled cheese with garlic toast this weekend and while it tasted pretty good, it really needs to be toasted on the inside before you attempt to make a grilled cheese because it was soggy and kinda sad on the inside while the outside got nice and crispy.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Fashionably Great posted:

it really needs to be toasted on the inside before you attempt to make a grilled cheese because it was soggy and kinda sad on the inside while the outside got nice and crispy.

This is true for any grilled cheese. Well okay, it's not necessary, but it's a great way to up your grilled cheese game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

bongwizzard posted:

Been hearing this for years, but I never remember to try it.

I tried it once. It is not the life-changing miracle people make it out to be. In fact, it makes very little difference at all. :shrug:

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Tonight I'm making chicken crumbed with pulverized twisties.

They're better cheetos btw.

I cant decide between shallow fry and oven bake though!

e:
Sous vide chicken breast is at its best right after you take it out of the bag and pat it dry.

Crusty. Mmmmm.

1 minute on each side! Maybe a bit much.

Crusty. Mmmmm.

Skin on, I forgot. Cooking at 63 for 6 hours meant it was basically not noticeable, though I would have preferred to pull it off and have a couple crispy chicken skin chips on the side.

iRend has a new favorite as of 09:09 on Oct 12, 2017

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

My body is ready

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

all the stars are here

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I would totally eat small pastries off a pineapple, but the bowl of pea soup on the side seems surplus to requirements.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Cakefarts Carol posted:

My body is ready

gently caress YES

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Put some sauce on that and you have a pizza on a stick.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

all the stars are here

That's some amazing poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Emphasis on the poo poo.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Picnic Princess posted:

Emphasis on the poo poo.

I know my jurisdiction, ma'am.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if you folks enjoy fair foods, the minnesota state fair is over but they still have the 2017 new foods up:

http://www.mnstatefair.org/find/new-food/

there's also the "food finder" tool which lists all food from every vendor but it doesn't have pics

e: the one new thing i had this year was the s'moresas

(photo credit)

they had a sweet chai dipping sauce. they were good but unwieldy to eat, the s'more fillings just wanted to run out all over the place

Lutha Mahtin has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Oct 13, 2017

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Cakefarts Carol posted:

My body is ready

Seriously, I'd loving demolish these.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if you folks enjoy fair foods, the minnesota state fair is over but they still have the 2017 new foods up:

http://www.mnstatefair.org/find/new-food/

there's also the "food finder" tool which lists all food from every vendor but it doesn't have pics

e: the one new thing i had this year was the s'moresas

(photo credit)

they had a sweet chai dipping sauce. they were good but unwieldy to eat, the s'more fillings just wanted to run out all over the place

wh-

what

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Tim Horton's has come out with a Buffalo Spice mocha latte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

angerbeet posted:

Tim Horton's has come out with a Buffalo Spice mocha latte.

What low beast slouches towards blah blah blah