Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
HBO going loldorne was worth it to avoid Arianne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They need to release more Adventures in Babysitting a Rebellious Teenager, aka Arianne's TWoW chapters.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lycus posted:

They need to release more Adventures in Babysitting a Rebellious Teenager, aka Arianne's TWoW chapters.

Really. It tells a lot about the lack of proper editing when you have a series that should be narrowing its focus to bring about resolution and instead goes "Huh, a periphery character from a dud sidestory pursuing a known wild goose chase? That sounds like a great use of a POV slot for the second-to-last book!"

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Dorne would have been worth it if they included Darkstar.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Really. It tells a lot about the lack of proper editing when you have a series that should be narrowing its focus to bring about resolution and instead goes "Huh, a periphery character from a dud sidestory pursuing a known wild goose chase? That sounds like a great use of a POV slot for the second-to-last book!"

they have people doing editing?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't mind book dorne

partially because (while i wouldn't go to a jacobs level here) I do think that there's more going on with them than has been revealed thus far and that they will continue to be active free agents

I don't think it's remotely a foregone conclusion that the Dornish will end up declaring for fake Aegon and being at odds with Dany eventually, for instance, as both forum prognosticators and fanfic writers tend to assume

if Arianne and co. manage to sniff out the Blackfyre conspiracy, that could get real interesting real fast

Lycus posted:

everyone's convinced arianne is going to gently caress and attempt to marry Aegon, but it seems pretty clear to me that Elia Jr. is gonna gently caress Aegon and presumably mess up whatever scheme arianne is supposed to execute.

this fits characterization better (arianne just got out of an ill-fated relationship with a callow chivalrous youth and probably will not be impressed with aegon's routine) as well as maximizing the incest angle, as gurm always prefers to do

while arianne and elia jr. are the same degree of relation to aegon, elia jr. is named after his mom and I don't think gurm would miss the opportunity to do some sort of creepy oedipus thing

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 8, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can't believe there's another opportunity for incest I didn't think of, no way can grrm resist.

It's weird that, in the show, no one bothers talking to Howland Reed. Meera was in winterfell. Like bran couldn't say "btw there's a guy who loved need and his kids are all magic and stuff"?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I can't believe there's another opportunity for incest I didn't think of, no way can grrm resist.

It's weird that, in the show, no one bothers talking to Howland Reed. Meera was in winterfell. Like bran couldn't say "btw there's a guy who loved need and his kids are all magic and stuff"?

Is Howland Reed even a thing in the show?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kavak posted:

He ganked Arthur Dayne in the Tower of Joy but not in present day.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He ganked Arthur Dayne in the Tower of Joy but not in present day.

So same as in the books, then.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't mind book dorne

partially because (while i wouldn't go to a jacobs level here) I do think that there's more going on with them than has been revealed thus far and that they will continue to be active free agents

I don't think it's remotely a foregone conclusion that the Dornish will end up declaring for fake Aegon and being at odds with Dany eventually, for instance, as both forum prognosticators and fanfic writers tend to assume

I kinda wanted to like Done, if only because the Red Viper was so fun a character, and because if you're going to live in lovely fantasy land, might as well be where it's warm, the food is spicy, sexual norms are loose and the ruler actually gives a toss about the common folk.

But it's contrived in ways that aren't enjoyable. Also, why the hell would Varys/Illyrio scheme based on Vyseris and not Fake Aegon? Joining their prize boy with the heir to Dorne would be a far surer bet, give them more options as they'd have the Golden Company and a whole kingdom of resources, plus two Targaryens free to offer in marriage to cement other alliances.

Fake Aegon may have been foreshadowed early (Second book, or the third?), but everything about him feels like a filler arc meant to pad out the series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sephyr posted:

feels like a filler arc meant to pad out the series.

I'm confused about what role he is supposed to play. I mean, jon ( secret heir ) is the foil to Viserys (entitled horrible heir), and they switch it up by having Dany (no longer true heir, but now qualified heir ) become a foil to Jon ( who we see is actually a lovely leader and commands zero loyalty from his men ). Ok, clever I get it.

But then they have Dany gently caress everything up, she's a wreck, jon's a wreck, we have a new loving heir out of loving nowhere - who is fake to boot.. what the poo poo is going on here? I mean if this was a European history lesson, ok I get it... but..

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kavak posted:

The random two kids had to be from somewhere, who are their parents? That kid was magic, they should be finding all the magic guys.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

kcroy posted:

I'm confused about what role he is supposed to play. I mean, jon ( secret heir ) is the foil to Viserys (entitled horrible heir), and they switch it up by having Dany (no longer true heir, but now qualified heir ) become a foil to Jon ( who we see is actually a lovely leader and commands zero loyalty from his men ). Ok, clever I get it.

But then they have Dany gently caress everything up, she's a wreck, jon's a wreck, we have a new loving heir out of loving nowhere - who is fake to boot.. what the poo poo is going on here? I mean if this was a European history lesson, ok I get it... but..

Everyone is terrible. Wall falls ice zombies kill everyone. The end. No moral.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Everyone is terrible. Wall falls ice zombies kill everyone. The end. No moral.

I think that was going to be it, until someone told Gurm that Bakker's Second Apocalypse series just did it first.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Fake dude is in there so GRRM can write 100 pages of new characters in the Gold Company and so he has an excuse to spend half a book describing the Storm Lands, their history, the major families, and the current intrigues in excruciating detail while we now follow the threads of this arcane plot with so many fascinating hints and secret undercurrents which have absolutely nothing to do with the main plot that everyone has figured out and he is trying to avoid writing.

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
man i'm rereading these books and i totally forgot symeon star-eyes was a thing.

what do you guys think the deal with that is? just a basic parallel to bran's own journey, or what?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years ago someone made a gif that was dany saying mother of dragons all strong willed and then it cut to drogan loving her soggy style. Does anyone have this?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm concerned by that post.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm concerned by that post.

I was happy that she mentioned she was raped in the most recent season. I assume she was meaning that scene which is obviously really uncomfortable and does not seem to be consensual though it was previously not something that was really discussed much.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
A BOOK IS OUT

https://www.amazon.com/Book-Swords-George-R-Martin/dp/0399593764

yes it's another anthology costing 15$ containing a single short story that takes place in Westeros and is somehow tangentially related to ASOIAF but goes into great lengths not to actually reveal anything that might somehow have any bearing on the main plot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Who on earth is dumb enough to buy that poo poo? don't these people get that they just encouraging gurm to be even lazier? what motivation will he have to write TWOW if people just throw money at him all the goddamn time?

With that said, I'll let you know if it's any good.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
This thread has almost written enough for gurm to actually make a new book out of it, keep it up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
All you ever wanted to know about Anus Targaryen.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Who on earth is dumb enough to buy that poo poo? don't these people get that they just encouraging gurm to be even lazier? what motivation will he have to write TWOW if people just throw money at him all the goddamn time?

poo poo like this is so there can be a new 'got book' for the holidays and people buy it for each other without any merit if its good

RC Cola posted:

Years ago someone made a gif that was dany saying mother of dragons all strong willed and then it cut to drogan loving her soggy style. Does anyone have this?

asking for a friend tia

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Soggy style was the name I used to dance under.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Lycus posted:

All you ever wanted to know about Anus Targaryen.

with license plate ANUSTARG

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

RC Cola posted:

This thread is full of reddit style misogynistic creeps.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You get it from the library like a sane person duh.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Brilliant idea,

GRRM should just release whatever he has finished for the 6th book and then sell the remaining chapters that are missing as DLC.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

You can buy the bits of italicized text as micro-transactions.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Jack2142 posted:

Brilliant idea,

GRRM should just release whatever he has finished for the 6th book and then sell the remaining chapters that are missing as DLC.

Ever noticed the "C" in DLC ?

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
After watching the TV show I decided to actually read the novels. The first few were fine but 'A Dance with Dragons' isn't as inspiring. It has dropped into a 'Wheel of Time' style jaunt across the realm without much real content.

The bit thats keeping me going is Tyrion otherwise not sure I can make it to the end.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Emnity posted:

After watching the TV show I decided to actually read the novels. The first few were fine but 'A Dance with Dragons' isn't as inspiring. It has dropped into a 'Wheel of Time' style jaunt across the realm without much real content.

The bit thats keeping me going is Tyrion otherwise not sure I can make it to the end.

That's pretty funny because Tyrion's ADWD chapters are generally the most universally despised, maybe only in this thread though, never ran a survey.

I'd actually say it's better for a first time reader to read "A ball of beasts" which is the fan made edit that combines both ADWD and AFFC that is slightly less frustrating as it removes the whole "when are we getting to the Tyrion\Jon\Dany bits???" aspect of AFFC but given that you've already got past AFFC I guess that doesn't matter.

ADWD gets better toward the end of the book. I manages to recover some focus.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
just finished rereading acok and holy gently caress danys plot ends with them literally about to board boats to westeros. id be so pissed if id read that 19 years ago.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Emnity posted:

If you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This thread is full of reddit style misogynistic creeps.

I'm surprised you still come back for the lowest of hanging fruit.
(my balls)
(in your mowf)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

just finished rereading acok and holy gently caress danys plot ends with them literally about to board boats to westeros. id be so pissed if id read that 19 years ago.

lol you have no idea what’s coming next nothing. Nothing comes next. Stop reading the books.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Emnity posted:

See: thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Ever noticed the "C" in DLC ?

:psyboom: