Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Pixel hunt in areas that seem like dead ends, there are some times where there are interactable objects you wouldn't think would be, and as far as I can tell (myself having not played a ton), there's not a way to highlight interactable objects, just loot.

To add on to this: If you reach a dead end remember to use the skill that "lets you see more people" (you'll know what it is once you get it), it can reveal objects too sometimes.

Look up the key for highlighting characters and set it to something handy, the fights can get real messy sometimes. If you have trouble targeting your own guys in the thick of it you can use the portraits on the left side or on the top of the screen during fights to target any character in the fight too.

Most everyone can be pickpocketed. Just don't get caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Regarding highlighting people in combat, if you go into the settings you can actually set it to automatically highlight people by their reaction color in the visual settings (or to do so only on the Tactical View, if you prefer).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Hi, I'm playing Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age and I broadly know what I'm doing, but is there anywhere that has a list of good gambits?

You can buy all of them from the gambit shop in Rabanastre as soon as you can buy gambits from there, with the only missing ones being ally:character gambits for characters you don't have yet. With that in mind:

Any gambits like Ally:Any and Self:Any only do anything if their paired action would actually accomplish something, so Ally:Any > Phoenix Down will only toss one if an ally is KOed. You should top everyone's list with a Phoenix Down or Raise gambit to get to reviving characters as soon as they eat it. Gambits do 'see' that someone else has something covered, so only one ally:any>phoenix down will trigger at a time. Status removal should similarly be high, with priority to statuses that remove the ability to do things like Disable or Stop before nuisances like blind, until you just work with Esuna and Remedies and pick up the corner cases on an individual basis. HP recovery is weirder. Since Cure and its upgrades have charge time and you have to wait for the little projectile animation to actually hit before it actually makes HP go up, you want your gambits using magick to heal at thresholds long before critical danger, like 50%. Potions are almost instant, so setting them for 20% or the critical HP status can work.

Extremely useful statuses like Bubble and Protect should go below basic recovery but above offensive actions. Attack can work with Foe: Lowest HP for almost everything for the entire game, and the few exceptions can be dealt with on an individual basis. Foe:Flying for characters without ranged weapons (poles, spears, projectile weapons like bows etc.) goes above the generic attack gambit.

Offensive magick gambits are more complicated because foe: [element] vulnerable seems to run into immunities, unless that's not in ZA. Just be aware of what the spells actually do. Foe: Status: Reflect should go above reflectable magick, obviously. Drain doesn't get hit by Reflect, just FYI. I set my weakness gambits for my black mage in order of spell power, personally, but that's not strictly necessary. You can also just run foe: lowest HP with a nonelemental spell like Bio or Scourge and not give a gently caress if micromanaging that is too much of a pain, though you lose on a lot of potential damage that way.

There's no gambits for pailings and magick shields, so if an enemy puts one or the other up you'll have to manually adjust things so that your dudes don't dumbly try to hit an enemy immune to physical damage with sticks. Despite all appearances, quickenings are entirely physical.

There's no good gambit for steal. Foe HP=100% will at least do it first thing once for an enemy, but for specific things like an enemy only having one item to steal at 3%, you'll have to turn off and on foe:any>steal gambits as needed.

Characters with Libra should have a Self:Any>Libra gambit at the very loving bottom of the list, so that if nothing else is happening they keep that applied. Libra lets you see traps so it is immensely useful.

And you can't just set twelve things right when you can and then never touch gambits again. You'll have to adjust them as you get new abilities and face new situations, and manually intervene when weird things happen. Just try to cover the basic rhythm of combat and exploration and improvise with new gambits or manual commands when that won't cover it.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Cryptark is really brutal outside level 1 missions. Everything tears me to shreds and I always feel underpowered. What should I be focusing on?

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
So I just got all three of the (new) Shadowrun games in a bundle. I don't know much about them besides RPG, turn based, and cyberpunk, but I have heard that one of them is not great; which ones should I play? Also looking for general tips, though I'm not looking for min-maxing and I'll probably just do one play through. I like shotguns and tough dudes who don't really use magic, will that be viable?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So I just got all three of the (new) Shadowrun games in a bundle. I don't know much about them besides RPG, turn based, and cyberpunk, but I have heard that one of them is not great; which ones should I play? Also looking for general tips, though I'm not looking for min-maxing and I'll probably just do one play through. I like shotguns and tough dudes who don't really use magic, will that be viable?
First one, Returns, is the worst but still worth playing. Quickness/dodge/firearms/shotguns will do you fine. Dragonfall is much better and Hong Kong better still. I think you can click my posts in this thread for some tips otherwise there's the wiki.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, if there's one to skip, it's SR Returns. It's not bad, but they were clearly still getting a handle on things. It's kind of a Shining Force 1 & 2 situation where you won't really notice all the little things wrong until you try to go back.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Kenny Logins posted:

First one, Returns, is the worst but still worth playing. Quickness/dodge/firearms/shotguns will do you fine. Dragonfall is much better and Hong Kong better still. I think you can click my posts in this thread for some tips otherwise there's the wiki.

I heartily disagree about the first being worth playing. It will leave a bad taste in your mouth and color your perception of a great series. I know many people who wrote the series off after SR, only to later go back for Dragonfall after my insistence and realize the mistake they made.

That said, you don't really get a good mage in either Dragonfall or Hong Kong, so those might be good classes to roll to start.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the best argument for skipping SR Returns is that the entire last mission is terrible.

Edit: There's an ongoing LP, if you're that curious.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Groovy, thanks folks. I think I'll skip the first one since time is an increasingly limited resource as one ages.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Groovy, thanks folks. I think I'll skip the first one since time is an increasingly limited resource as one ages.

Good plan. You can always come back to it, and even play it through the Dragonfall client, with all the mechanic and interface improvements it provides.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I heartily disagree about the first being worth playing. It will leave a bad taste in your mouth and color your perception of a great series. I know many people who wrote the series off after SR, only to later go back for Dragonfall after my insistence and realize the mistake they made.

That said, you don't really get a good mage in either Dragonfall or Hong Kong, so those might be good classes to roll to start.

Shadowrun Returns has good storytelling and atmosphere but terrible gameplay. If it ever goes on sale on Steam for two or three dollars, buy it and play it on standard difficulty so you can zing through it.

EDIT: It's currently $15 on Steam, don't pay that.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I bought Battle Chasers: Nightwar, because of course I'm going to support well-made indie JRPGs. I'm liking it so far.

Anyone who's more than my three hours in, have any tips?

Ideally I'd like to break the game over my knee if I can, since I've never had a good mind for turn based combat systems. So tips to make things much easier by making my characters much more powerful are welcome.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Good plan. You can always come back to it, and even play it through the Dragonfall client, with all the mechanic and interface improvements it provides.

Or not, SR story takes a massive nosedive after you solve the murder mystery that starts the plot, in my opinion the game would actually be better if that was where it ended.
Dragonfall is miles better

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Centipeed posted:

I bought Battle Chasers: Nightwar, because of course I'm going to support well-made indie JRPGs. I'm liking it so far.

Anyone who's more than my three hours in, have any tips?

Ideally I'd like to break the game over my knee if I can, since I've never had a good mind for turn based combat systems. So tips to make things much easier by making my characters much more powerful are welcome.

- Spec Gully for Tanking, and never remove her from your party. A lot of enemies in mid- to late game can do high spike damage, and if they hit a squishy character it's a one hit kill.
- Always bring one healer (the golem at first, though later you get a guy in a mask who's much better) and one damager (Garrison, or the lady)
- The old guy is sort of a hybrid healer and damager, he's not worth using unless you're not bringing Gully, and you should always bring Gully.
- I'm about 80% of the way through the game, and it has never forced me to use a particular character. Yet. I guess it might in the future.
- Get used to using Overcharge instead of spending mana, later on you get powerful buffs that scale off how much Overcharge you spend
- You get global passives by killing X number of creatures, usually this equates to doing each dungeon twice.
- At first, crafting can only be done in dungeons by finding randomly placed workstations. Later on, you'll unlock all the crafting stations in the main town.
- Buffs and Debuffs usually last X number of turns. If you use a spell instead of a normal attack, then both you choosing the spell AND launching it count as 1 turn. This means that buffs, debuffs and DoTs go twice as fast if you use a lot of spells.
- This game can be quite hard, I'm afraid you really do need to pay attention to how your characters synergize with each other or you can get stomped, especially later in the game.

For synergies, it usually means trying to stack things. Like, if one character has a spell that always crits if an enemy is Sundered, then you want to pair them with a character that can apply Sundered. The 3rd character might have a damage boosting spell, which you can cast too, to maximize your hit.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Oct 10, 2017

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Watch out, SR is the only one of the series that has a decent tutorial. The other 2 games don't do a very good job of explaining things, so you might want to play through the first part of SR to pick up some useful info.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pyromancer posted:

Or not, SR story takes a massive nosedive after you solve the murder mystery that starts the plot, in my opinion the game would actually be better if that was where it ended.
Dragonfall is miles better

SR's story is fun if and only if you're a big fan of the tabletop game and can catch all the references/know what's coming at the climax. It's a moderately well known event in-universe and they toss in a few well known setting NPCs on top of it.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Gerblyn posted:

Watch out, SR is the only one of the series that has a decent tutorial. The other 2 games don't do a very good job of explaining things, so you might want to play through the first part of SR to pick up some useful info.

If you read the in-game help and have any experience in tactical RPGs you'll basically be fine. The UI is pretty good at telling you what's going on. The only real gotcha is that weapons get accuracy bonuses and penalties depending on range, with differing scaling and sweet spots. Sniper rifles, uniquely, get more accurate at longer ranges rather than less.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Terminally Bored posted:

Cryptark is really brutal outside level 1 missions. Everything tears me to shreds and I always feel underpowered. What should I be focusing on?

What made the difference for me is spending all my effort minimizing the number of attacks I had to dodge. Since most enemies take a second or two of sustained fire from your machine guns before they die, it's basically impossible to kill many enemies before they shoot at you, and every time you have to dodge a shot you are taking the chance you get hit, so each enemy you fight is a chance to lose more health and health is a precious precious resource.

There's a few ways around this.

First, don't try to kill everything. Most enemies are slower than you and will lose track of you if you run away from them for long enough, so methodically moving through a ship shooting everything will be very difficult, since every enemy you fight without running away will launch attacks at you you have to dodge. The initial mech suit you start with is great for this style of play, because its special ability is a speed boost dash. Keep checking your map - all enemies and turrets show up on it, so you can see who you're going to run into. Time is paused while on your map. Keep in mind that each time you fire most weapons it creates a sound radius that attracts nearby enemies. You can see the sound radius visualized as a circle that appears on your minimap when you fire a loud gun, so just running without shooting can get you out of a lot of trouble.

The other way, is murder poo poo before it gets the chance to attack you. This is not possible with the starting machine guns, because it just takes too many bullets to kill most things. But shotguns now? Shotguns are a game changer. All the damage shotguns do is front-loaded, so while shotguns have comparable DPS to machine guns, shotguns kill enemies before they get attacks off, so you can kill things while suffering no danger.

Also extremely important is shields. If you're forced to fight multiple enemies or attempt to clear a system guarded by multiple turrets, shields let you be fine with dodging only 70 or 50% of the attacks coming your way. Personally I think the "no shields" optional objective is one of the hardest to manage. Shields work extremely well with shotguns, since you can fire all your lead in one giant burst, then put up your shield and be 100% safe until your shotgun is ready to fire again. Shields regenerate their charge quickly and can absorb a LOT of punishment, so don't overlook them!

For the above reasons, I highly recommend choosing to unlock the Rook as your second mecha suit. It starts with a shotgun, and its special ability is an extremely strong auto-charging omni-directional shield that doesn't require you to devote a weapon slot to it. It's nuts, and by far the best suit for straight combat.

Other than that I would just recommend you attempt to complete as many optional objectives as you can. Cryptark absolutely gets easier if you snowball the economy. The more you make early, the more gear you get and the easier optional objectives get later, so once you get to the Cryptark itself you can field an insane loadout full of 500k worth of nuclear missiles and double Fragg guns and stuff.

As for what systems to attack, each ship you attack will have different priorities on what to take out, but you can actually get away with not breaking the repair system first. The repair system will repair the most recently destroyed system, and if you break another system while it's already fixing the first one you broke, it'll switch to fixing the second system and will lose all its progress and have to start over. Ships with drone manufactories often have few drones in them to start with, so if you hit the drone factory first, you can often leave the ship with very few defenses to stop you as you break other systems until you get around to the repair one.

I recommend bringing some explosives if you can to make killing systems easier, some (like the repair system) are hard to kill quickly.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So I just found out the the 3ds remake of Dragon Quest Monsters has a completed fan translation. Does anyone have any good starting tips such as what monsters to aim for or specific secrets that I might miss? ALso any general tips for someone new to the Dragon Quest Monsters Series?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I grabbed Van Hellsing: The Final Cut for a buck in the lasted Humble Bundle; anything I need to know going in?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Playing Assassin's Creed Unity, this is my 10th AC game so tips that will help are limited, and I went through the wiki already.

What I really want is info on the co-op missions. Can you solo them? Or would some kind soul here like to team up for them at some point? Not sure what server population is like these days. PS4 version

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Evil Mastermind posted:

I grabbed Van Hellsing: The Final Cut for a buck in the lasted Humble Bundle; anything I need to know going in?
Yeah, if you ever feel like you're not having fun, feel free to quit, thing has a bit of a downward curve and the final two acts (basically Van Helsing 3) are really boring.
Every class is viable and it's entirely possible to play on one of the "harder" difficulties with tougher enemies and more rewards from the start.
Specialize - pick a couple skills you like and focus on them. With Katarina, you basically only need to choose if you want to build her for melee or range, otherwise pick the passive bonuses you like. You can't really gently caress up, respeccing is available in your home base.
Remember to use your Rage, it's a short-term resource that keeps building up as you do damage and you can use it to empower skills to great effects.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 11, 2017

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Hey I've been wanting to play a star control game since that franchise is in the news. Which one should I start with? Should I start at 1 or skip it for one of the others? Also what should I know about whatever game is best to start with?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lucinice posted:

Hey I've been wanting to play a star control game since that franchise is in the news. Which one should I start with? Should I start at 1 or skip it for one of the others? Also what should I know about whatever game is best to start with?

Ur-quan Masters, full stop.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Lucinice posted:

You should download The Ur-Quan Masters: http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

It's basically SC2 with a new api and content from both the PC and 3DO versions. It's fully voiced, even.

Never play 3, it's the bad one.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Ur-Quan Masters is so excellent and I legit am jealous of anyone who hasn't played it and gets to play it fresh.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It's really good. You'll be a real *happy camper*

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ur-Quan Masters is a really good Star Control game. Better than Escape Velocity, even.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Zushio posted:

Playing Assassin's Creed Unity, this is my 10th AC game so tips that will help are limited, and I went through the wiki already.

What I really want is info on the co-op missions. Can you solo them? Or would some kind soul here like to team up for them at some point? Not sure what server population is like these days. PS4 version
You can solo them, but it's not very intuitive how to do it. If I remember right, you need to start a private match and then manually end the search for other players.

All of the missions are doable solo. The only one that's really tricky is the festival one due to the obstacle course near the beginning. You can do it alone but the timing is incredibly tight.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Zushio posted:

It's possible, but not recommended. If they aren't level/skill gated I'll hop on with you (PS4) if you're not in a hurry, I'm that weirdo who likes almost all the AC games, Unity included.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

It's possible, but not recommended. If they aren't level/skill gated I'll hop on with you (PS4) if you're not in a hurry, I'm that weirdo who likes almost all the AC games, Unity included.

Unity's actually not that bad, at least now that the infamous bugs are long-dead. A lot of the better ideas like the criminal investigations get improved-upon in Syndicate, and the crowd-generating engine is frankly amazing. It's by no means one of the better AC games, but I'd definitely say it's worth a play.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

im cute posted:

Ur-Quan Masters is a really good Star Control game. Better than Escape Velocity, even.

I really enjoyed EV Nova back in the day, but have never played a Star Control game. I didn't know I was gonna find a sick recommendation this morning.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

I really enjoyed EV Nova back in the day, but have never played a Star Control game. I didn't know I was gonna find a sick recommendation this morning.

The sickest. Spathi-Fu for life!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lucinice posted:

Nthing the recommendation for Ur-Quan Masters. Just don't install the remixed music.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Well, I guess this question naturally follows: What should I know before playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LawfulWaffle posted:

Well, I guess this question naturally follows: What should I know before playing Ur-Quan Masters for the first time?

http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Star_Control_2:_The_Ur-Quan_Masters

This is a good start. The game sort of thrives on letting you figure poo poo out as you go, so imo going in mostly blind is ideal.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

LawfulWaffle posted:

Go in blind and keep a notebook handy. Any time someone mentions a specific location, jot it down for later.

You're in for a helluva ride. Don't have too much fun.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Go in blind and keep a notebook handy. Any time someone mentions a specific location, jot it down for later.

You're in for a helluva ride. Don't have too much fun.

There are certain pieces of information that are only revealed in dialog, specifically coordinates. You can review dialog by pressing the space bar, but only for the current conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't forget to *enjoy the sauce*!

I wonder if i've forgotten enough to make a run-through worth it. It was probably my all-time favorite of my childhood. I still kinda remember where a lot of the races are and what to do, unfortunately.