Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mister Robert is a good show that is rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chalk me as someone who felt the show lost me with season 2. It seemed to me that it got way, way too cute with its silly grand conspiracies and focused on a plethora of characters I categorically did not give a poo poo about. The nadir being the episode with Angela and that kid at the computer. It would take a pretty strong hype zeitgeist to get me back on board for a third season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I thought season 2 was fantastic, but I can see why people wish it got on with poo poo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Season 2 bought into its own hype. It's not that any one individual episode is necessarily bad, the season was just not coherent enough and there was no closure to its ending at all unlike season 1.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I watched the first episode of Bosch last night. Not bad, enough to hook me in for the next ep.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I love all seasons of Bosch. Season 4 can't come soon enough.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Were people mad about s2 because the internet speculation machine sussed out the twist early

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

esperterra posted:

English is a helluva language.

Hey don't blame us for that one :britain:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Longmire' last season goes on Netflix 11/17. I can't wait, but I'm gonna miss that show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Were people mad about s2 because the internet speculation machine sussed out the twist early

It certainly didn't help. The main issue with season 2 is that nothing really happens. The character work is so great, but I felt like I was waiting for the story to get started the entire time and it just never did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

People getting mad because they engage in months of speculation and thousand-monkey their way to being right is one of the oddest TV-fan interactions to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't get it all. I've never been the type who tries to figure out the mystery before the detective but like, if you're going to get mad if you were right then why the hell are you doing it?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Whedon called the situation a greek tragedy. He's an rear end in a top hat but he's right too, though he's a bit self important with that statement.

Bill Burr explains it in a funnier way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9onauqdci_g

I'm not saying they are good people.

hey my man could you help me out next time, and not link vids with the words whore in them without a warning thx

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

In other news, Snowfall is rad and one of the prettiest shows on TV. The lighting game is mind-boggling.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I don't get it all. I've never been the type who tries to figure out the mystery before the detective but like, if you're going to get mad if you were right then why the hell are you doing it?

It was more that it wasn't very hard to figure out at all. It was pretty drat obvious that Elliot was either in an institution or in prison from the first episode. Then they dragged the reveal out for over half the season.

Shageletic posted:

hey my man could you help me out next time, and not link vids with the words whore in them without a warning thx

there's an option to not have videos auto-embed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe then the twist wasn't the point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was presented like one, is the issue.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I never figure out twists anyway so I'd've probably been surprised had it not been spoilt for me (by me). I didn't see the reveal in the Village coming either

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Here’s a link, in case anyone was curious.

Looks like it took the victim going public for them to fire him, which is shameful.

I honestly don’t understand how people can think behavior like groping or touching or propositioning women is appropriate. A coworker of mine told me that the assistant manager at her other job just straight up asked her for a blowjob out of nowhere. She said that he’d asked all her coworkers for blowjobs at one point or another and no one thought it was a big deal. Some even did it.

I flipped poo poo and told her to go to their HR department. She didn’t, though, because she “didn’t want him to get into trouble for something dumb” and that it wasn’t a big deal because all he wanted was a blowjob.

My coworker’s other job isn’t in media, by the way. She works front desk at a local location of a major hotel chain. So if you’re reading all this news and thinking “drat, media creators are hosed in the head”, nope, people like this are everywhere. You probably even work with one.

It's really a terrible system meant to drown out and demean the worth of women, and it's so loving strong everywhere and despite the year has not changed much. I'd like to call myself a feminist, as much as I can as a dude, but its something we've all got to recognize is happening around us, instead of feeling so smug about another famous rear end in a top hat being shown to be what he is. People still aren't giving a poo poo about the people actually being affected by this.

https://twitter.com/Punksthetic/status/916374274457423872

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I liked Mr Robot season 2, it fills the void left by Rubicon, and though I'm describing it badly I'm pretty sure I'd watch paint dry if the soundtrack was vaguely menacing tension ratcheting electronic music with the occasional edgy thoughts rant voiceover.

Transcripts swiped from reddit, spoilered just in case someone cares:

Elliott in S2E3 about God posted:

"Is that what God does? He helps? Tell me, why didn't God help my innocent friend who died for no reason while the guilty ran free? Okay. Fine. Forget the one offs. How about the countless wars declared in his name? Okay. Fine. Let's skip the random, meaningless murder for a second, shall we? How about the racist, sexist, phobia soup we've all been drowning in because of him? And I'm not just talking about Jesus. I'm talking about all organized religion. Exclusive groups created to manage control. A dealer getting people hooked on the drug of hope. His followers, nothing but addicts who want their hit of bullshit to keep their dopamine of ignorance. Addicts. Afraid to believe the truth. That there's no order. There's no power. That all religions are just metastasizing mind worms, meant to divide us so it's easier to rule us by the charlatans that wanna run us. All we are to them are paying fanboys of their poorly-written sci-fi franchise. If I don't listen to my imaginary friend, why the gently caress should I listen to yours? People think their worship's some key to happiness. That's just how he owns you. Even I'm not crazy enough to believe that distortion of reality. So gently caress God. He's not a good enough scapegoat for me."

Mr. Robot in Times Square S1E10 posted:

"Is any of it real? I mean, look at this. Look at it! A world built on fantasy. Synthetic emotions in the form of pills. Psychological warfare in the form of advertising. Mind-altering chemicals in the form of... food! Brainwashing seminars in the form of media. Controlled isolated bubbles in the form of social networks. Real? You want to talk about reality? We haven't lived in anything remotely close to it since the turn of the century. We turned it off, took out the batteries, snacked on a bag of GMOs while we tossed the remnants in the ever-expanding Dumpster of the human condition. We live in branded houses trademarked by corporations built on bipolar numbers jumping up and down on digital displays, hypnotizing us into the biggest slumber mankind has ever seen. You have to dig pretty deep, kiddo, before you can find anything real. We live in a kingdom of bullshit. A kingdom you've lived in for far too long. So don't tell me about not being real. I'm no less real than the loving beef patty in your Big Mac."

Ahh that's the stuff. I need to watch the new season premiere, didn't have a chance last night.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still haven't gotten around to S2 and with all the talk of world building and setup for S3 it feels like I might just be better off waiting until at least S3 is over. I enjoy these shows like Orphan Black way more in a binge than I do in a week-by-week, season-by-season viewing. And there's never a shortage of other things to watch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I go on one date and miss like 5 shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mr. Robot season 2 was fantastic, what the hell

I'll make a thread for season 3 tonight

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, will there be a new Crazy Ex-Girlfriend thread? I recently noticed that it's back tomorrow.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Mr. Robot season 2 was fantastic, what the hell

I'll make a thread for season 3 tonight

Eh, the s2 thread seems to be doing fine.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

bagrada posted:

I liked Mr Robot season 2, it fills the void left by Rubicon, and though I'm describing it badly I'm pretty sure I'd watch paint dry if the soundtrack was vaguely menacing tension ratcheting electronic music with the occasional edgy thoughts rant voiceover.

Transcripts swiped from reddit, spoilered just in case someone cares:

Ahh that's the stuff. I need to watch the new season premiere, didn't have a chance last night.

I have to be honest this sort of self congratulatory freshman insights is what is making it really hard to rewatch the first season, not to mention get into the second. Fight Club at least managed to be objective about its characters, but my growing suspicion is that the guy behind Mr. Robot fully backs the ideas and ways of its protagonist.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ngl those Mr Robot quotes killed my interest. Maybe I'll revisit the idea of watching after season 3 is done.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

I have to be honest this sort of self congratulatory freshman insights is what is making it really hard to rewatch the first season, not to mention get into the second. Fight Club at least managed to be objective about its characters, but my growing suspicion is that the guy behind Mr. Robot fully backs the ideas and ways of its protagonist.

esperterra posted:

ngl those Mr Robot quotes killed my interest. Maybe I'll revisit the idea of watching after season 3 is done.

Part of the show's point is that Elliot is dangerously anti-social and this is his cracked justification of it. Those quotes shouldn't be read as an endorsement of that lifestyle.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Man I couldn't get through S1 of Mr Robot and just skimming those quotes reminds me of why.

Not in a way that says it's bad, just, man, I don't want to deal with that. The depressed cartoon horse man is enough downer tv for me. :smith:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It's like one of my favorite shows of the past 5 years. I wish more people watched it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DivisionPost posted:

Part of the show's point is that Elliot is dangerously anti-social and this is his cracked justification of it. Those quotes shouldn't be read as an endorsement of that lifestyle.

No, I know, especially since it's supposed to be Fight Club homage. But those quotes just read obnoxious to me. It's a big part of why I've been waiting for the right mood to strike to watch the show, one where I won't roll my eyes into the back of my head and instead enjoy the ride.

Like it reads to me as someone who took Fight Club seriously and took the wrong message from it, which I'm sure is the point anyway but y'know.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 3 premiere was on fire, holy gently caress

fe: Mr.Robot that is

real edit:

esperterra posted:

Like it reads to me as someone who took Fight Club seriously and took the wrong message from it, which I'm sure is the point anyway but y'know.

nah it's definitely not that at all

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Mr. Robot is a pretty great show, and the fan base and the pop culture analysis of it is pretty loving obnoxious. I love the show, and I can't imagine taking part in the giant zietgeist of trying to figure it out. Like with most things I like, I avoid the the fanbase as much as possible while still discussing the show a little bit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Mr. Robot is a pretty great show, and the fan base and the pop culture analysis of it is pretty loving obnoxious.

Not unlike Fight Club!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

Mr. Robot is a pretty great show, and the fan base and the pop culture analysis of it is pretty loving obnoxious. I love the show, and I can't imagine taking part in the giant zietgeist of trying to figure it out. Like with most things I like, I avoid the the fanbase as much as possible while still discussing the show a little bit.

the S3 premiere took a big hard swing at the bad parts of the fanbase tho, and it owned

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

No, I know, especially since it's supposed to be Fight Club homage. But those quotes just read obnoxious to me. It's a big part of why I've been waiting for the right mood to strike to watch the show, one where I won't roll my eyes into the back of my head and instead enjoy the ride.

The main character is often presented as dangerously overzealous and insane

Really surprised I haven’t heard more about David Fincher’s Netflix show MINDHUNTER considering it premieres in less than 12 hours

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Mindhunter looks like Criminal Minds. I hope it's more physiological than gross.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'm hype af to watch Mindhunters when I get home from work tonight.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, by the way, a few pages back I was asking if HBO's 2003 Angels In America adaptation still holds up?

turns out no

e: god dammit 10 minutes after I make this post it has its best scene by far. genuinely hilarious

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/918570768191184896

• Locked thread